alts. march 15 2013

Discuss the comic here!
Marnath
Is Heard Often

Re: alts. march 15 2013

Post by Marnath » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 pm

gamecreator wrote:Care to explain the reference then?
No. :D :lol:

► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:41 pm

In the Dragon Age games, by order of the Chantry (Dragon Age's Catholic Church), mages are either locked in a tower or hunted to death for fear they might learn blood-magic from demons. But that happens in their dreams; so even in the Mage's Tower, Templars (Chantry soldiers) can only put down mages that (presumably) already learned blood-magic. Put down, in this context, means killing the emotional part of their brain so that they neither dream nor cast magic again.

Only after I post do I notice the spoiler tag; but I think I explained it better anyway.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

notimportant
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: not_important

Post by notimportant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Minmax 53 hasn't got a scar, maybe because they couldn't attack the goblin camp without a license. But Forgath 53 has still lost a horn! I wonder how it happened...

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Notimportant, Minmax's spin attack while breaking all the vases should have done that :D
I am high in fructose.

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Curiously... is this the Friday update? Or are we due an actual comic? I'll deal either way, I'm just wondering.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Thunt said this wouldn't replace the regular update.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Wait, so are Humans and Dwarves just really big and bugbear looking in 169 or is that after they've hulked out? Assuming they do hulk out. Or are they just commenting that the rest of the alt look human but are too small, and I feel really dumb and confused.

:shrug: :sulk:
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 pm

It seemed as though they were permanently in hulk mode - remember that in the comics, Hulk thinks of himself as a separate person from Bruce Banner, the two of them fighting for control of the same body. But if this is "Hulk world", then all people might lose the battle against their inner Hulk during early childhood, and never have a chance of reasserting their meeker self - after all, everyone else around them is a Hulk, and they all hate puny Banners, so if you managed to keep your own Hulk in his box long enough to step outside your door, your neighbor would probably kill you for being everything he hates in himself.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Congrats Willpell. You ninja'd the ninja.
► Show Spoiler
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:16 am

notimportant wrote:Minmax 53 hasn't got a scar, maybe because they couldn't attack the goblin camp without a license. But Forgath 53 has still lost a horn! I wonder how it happened...
For that matter, how did Minmax 169 get a scar if using weapons is considered extremely cowardly in their universe? I guess that's a reason for hating Complains, but if the chest had weapons in it, why would they want it? Forgath 169 also appears to have a horn cut off rather than torn off.

These Altsplanations appear far easier to write than a normal strip, I'd be ecstatic to get 2 of these a week and 1 regular comic.

Exile
Remains Silent

Post by Exile » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 am

SccrD25 wrote:Well if you cant be an adventurer without a license you could never legally level up as a magic user. You would be stuck at level 1. Whats a 'high' damaging spell for a level one wizard?
Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage.

Hitting someone with a torch would be more effective.
Not true while Magic Missile does 1d4+1, and you can still roleplay to gain experience.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 am

Rorrik wrote:For that matter, how did Minmax 169 get a scar if using weapons is considered extremely cowardly in their universe? I guess that's a reason for hating Complains, but if the chest had weapons in it, why would they want it? Forgath 169 also appears to have a horn cut off rather than torn off.
The chest was full of gold, so that alone is a reason to go after it. Also it's possible that goblins don't hulk out in that world, which would only make them more sneaky and treacherous in an attempt to save themselves.
These Altsplanations appear far easier to write than a normal strip, I'd be ecstatic to get 2 of these a week and 1 regular comic.
Agreed.
My long-neglected blog.

LongshotLink
Remains Silent

Post by LongshotLink » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:57 am

I would like to point out that even without weapons, Reality 53 has managed to get this far. That's pretty impressive. They made it all the way to the tower room, through who knows how many challenges and other incursions with other alts, just using their hands as weapons. That's really neat.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 am

LongshotLink wrote:I would like to point out that even without weapons, Reality 53 has managed to get this far. That's pretty impressive. They made it all the way to the tower room, through who knows how many challenges and other incursions with other alts, just using their hands as weapons. That's really neat.
They beat out the realities where no one has thumbs, where people are deathly afraid of being touched, and where shadow puppets are real (but don't work in the MoM so they're disarmed too).

predator
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by predator » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 am

There is nothing in it about the players who control them. I wonder if the players are from an alternate reality aswell :p

Web_MST3K
Remains Silent

Post by Web_MST3K » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:33 am

Sorry, but I can't help but speculate what some of the other alts might be like. Maybe from a world that uses some other RPG system instead of D&D, such as the Hero System, originally used in superhero campaigns . . .

Character Name: Ultimax
Character Type: Brick
Summary Description: Ultimax's great strength is his primary power. If it yields to force, it will yield to him. In addition to his strength, a halberd would inflict no more damage to his nearly impenetrable skin than a paper cut would.

Character Name: Cannonball, the Dwarf Wonder
Character Type: Speedster
Summary Description: Not only an incredibly fast runner, Cannonball has the power to run up walls and across pools of liquid. (Purchased as Flight, no altitude.) Stone walls crumble under the force of his jackhammer fists. (Purchased as Energy Blast, no range.)

Character Name: Snakewoman
Character Type: Martial Artist
Summary Description: Possessing the reflexes and striking speed of a viper, her hands are potent weapons and her Tail Whip attack can take out multiple opponents. (Purchased as Energy Blast, spread only.)

How would such fighters do in a dungeon crawl?

Not good. Among their weaknesses, they all selected Code Against Killing, total commitment.