22nd October 2018: Idle's Bad Idea

Discuss the comic here!
Caowyth
Mumbles Incoherently

22nd October 2018: Idle's Bad Idea

Post by Caowyth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:48 pm

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-24-2018

I can't imagine breaking that many trees with your back will turn out well for Bowst

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: 22nd October 2018: Idle's Bad Idea

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 pm

I bet she's level 4 now.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

TheDarkTyger
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by TheDarkTyger » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:09 pm

1) Best name for a spell ever

2) I'm guessing that whallop was a lot worse for Bowst than we assumed. I've got to be honest, I'm not too cut up about the prospect of him biting it. It was the idea of Idle being perma-killed I was worried about. She only gets one per day, if memory serves...

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Well, she *could* die a second time, for the last time.

Forgath however probably never even got xp, given that he didn't even do anything.

eleras
Remains Silent

Post by eleras » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 pm

I get the feeling that it's not dead yet.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Bowstrings break.

But I suspect that what they are looking at has nothing to do with Bowst.

And I'm still saying Kore is an infected Forgath. Or rather was infected like Forgath will be. I think Kore was patched with Klik material, then infected, and his positive is souls. To beat him they will have to find his negative. I think Thunt has been throwing in clues like they now both only have one eye and the other eye is a vertical slash of something. Neither of them have real beards any more.

TheDarkTyger
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by TheDarkTyger » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:35 pm Well, she *could* die a second time, for the last time.

Forgath however probably never even got xp, given that he didn't even do anything.
Eh, he was part of the encounter. Surviving the encounter gets some xp.

Dustin_S
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dustin_S » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 pm

the last panel said "klik" It didn't sound click, it said it.

The infection has spread.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 pm

TheDarkTyger wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:09 pm 1) Best name for a spell ever

2) I'm guessing that whallop was a lot worse for Bowst than we assumed. I've got to be honest, I'm not too cut up about the prospect of him biting it. It was the idea of Idle being perma-killed I was worried about. She only gets one per day, if memory serves...
He has made a very small mark on the comic so far. I hate so say so, but: Nothing of value was lost.

Blown up Poorly Dressed Chimera might be my next favorite thing:
► Show Spoiler
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Dirteater
Remains Silent

Post by Dirteater » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Dustin_S wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 pm the last panel said "klik" It didn't sound click, it said it.

The infection has spread.
Was the same Klik typeface and color in speaking the jumbo infected klik used a couple panels ago.

Idle didn't fully kill it... She just made it angry, and that's what they see behind them.

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 am

Brain fart!: what they killed was some sort of "offspring" the infected Klik made after consuming a shit tonne of trees, and now momma showed up and she's pissed...

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 am

Wow... lots of ideas all over the board. I gotta lean towards the simplest being the correct here. The baddie just isn't dead yet. Probably pretty damn hurt based on the pictures (teeth missing and cracked, quite charred, etc.). Also, could be that its negative hit points, still alive, but not quite dead as we've been seen characters still conscious while in the negatives in previous comics.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 am

Rooks wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 am Wow... lots of ideas all over the board. I gotta lean towards the simplest being the correct here. The baddie just isn't dead yet. Probably pretty damn hurt based on the pictures (teeth missing and cracked, quite charred, etc.). Also, could be that its negative hit points, still alive, but not quite dead as we've been seen characters still conscious while in the negatives in previous comics.
You don't get to do that. Have the monster dead in the left edge of the panel, have it go out of view, and then give a noise out of the right hand. If that is the still living twisted Klik, it would have to come from the left. Or else Thunt is cheating. Plus, from what we've seen Bigfoot and Nopants would be basically standing in the dead monster.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 am

I'm pretty sure it's not dead yet. Don't forget too that it had wasps or bees flying around it (since it was essentially a living paper wasp nest with claws), which would be a part of it. Even a simple sting might spread the corruption to Ward and Salt.

That "klik" sound wouldn't be Junior would it? Or... would it be Ward saying "klik" as he breaks -- if Bowst is down, that means bad things for Ward right? Since the two were linked?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Generic wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 am
Rooks wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 am Wow... lots of ideas all over the board. I gotta lean towards the simplest being the correct here. The baddie just isn't dead yet. Probably pretty damn hurt based on the pictures (teeth missing and cracked, quite charred, etc.). Also, could be that its negative hit points, still alive, but not quite dead as we've been seen characters still conscious while in the negatives in previous comics.
You don't get to do that. Have the monster dead in the left edge of the panel, have it go out of view, and then give a noise out of the right hand. If that is the still living twisted Klik, it would have to come from the left. Or else Thunt is cheating. Plus, from what we've seen Bigfoot and Nopants would be basically standing in the dead monster.
No, the perspective works. Idle is in front of it. shown in panel 5. We miss Forgath walking around it between panel 6 and 7, but after that he's standing in front of Idle, with the Warped Klik behind them. Then they hear the noise and Idle is looking over her shoulder at the Klik.

I'm not sold that this is what's happening. I think it's just as likely Salt or Ward have been Warped, or even Junior has rocked up. I'm leaning towards Junior honestly. I don't think Salt or Ward would be scary, just sad. Junior would be seriously scary. I'd judge him much stronger than the Wasp Klik, and scary for being unexpected for the characters.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Hjerne wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 pm Bowstrings break.
Ohh. I've been reading his name wrong. I thought it was pronounced like "to bow", Bowst. But, of course, it's like "boast" because he was boasting to Forgath :wall:

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:43 am

Shardstorm wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:32 pm
Generic wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 am
No, the perspective works. Idle is in front of it. shown in panel 5. We miss Forgath walking around it between panel 6 and 7, but after that he's standing in front of Idle, with the Warped Klik behind them. Then they hear the noise and Idle is looking over her shoulder at the Klik.

I'm not sold that this is what's happening. I think it's just as likely Salt or Ward have been Warped, or even Junior has rocked up. I'm leaning towards Junior honestly. I don't think Salt or Ward would be scary, just sad. Junior would be seriously scary. I'd judge him much stronger than the Wasp Klik, and scary for being unexpected for the characters.
Sure. If things spin around. But as an artist, conveying stuff, you can't do that. You can't have something presumed dead disappear in the lower left and reappear in the upper right. That is confusing.

Technically, there is nothing stopping a year from going by between panels. But you need some kind of transition for that to be the case. This is not the dead original one, because that would be utterly confusing.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 am

Anyone have any guess what kind of damage Idle's spell was -- anything more specific than "random beam of energy that destroys stuff"? Also, I feel like being vaporized by that spell would be less painful than getting one's head cut off, but eh, what do I know.

Also, I'm in the camp that thinks the final panel is a different klik. The fact that the comic isn't showing Salt makes her a likely candidate. Or it could be the originally-infected klik. It's hard for me to imagine that this wood klik would have taken a bite out of the axe. Shouldn't it have been a Klik with a metal positive?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:32 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 amI'm pretty sure it's not dead yet. Don't forget too that it had wasps or bees flying around it (since it was essentially a living paper wasp nest with claws), which would be a part of it. Even a simple sting might spread the corruption to Ward and Salt.

That "klik" sound wouldn't be Junior would it? Or... would it be Ward saying "klik" as he breaks -- if Bowst is down, that means bad things for Ward right? Since the two were linked?
lol No. And Junior really shouldn't be intruding on anyone else's storyline when he could just drink most of the characters unopposed. That's supposed to happen slowly enough that we get our hopes up for the heroes, and THEN our hopes are crushed.
ForgetsKeys wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 amAnyone have any guess what kind of damage Idle's spell was -- anything more specific than "random beam of energy that destroys stuff"? Also, I feel like being vaporized by that spell would be less painful than getting one's head cut off, but eh, what do I know.

Also, I'm in the camp that thinks the final panel is a different klik. The fact that the comic isn't showing Salt makes her a likely candidate. Or it could be the originally-infected klik. It's hard for me to imagine that this wood klik would have taken a bite out of the axe. Shouldn't it have been a Klik with a metal positive?
That's a big part of why I suspect Ward is lying; as I put it in the previous thread, he's shifting blame to hide his own vice and eating magic items isn't as dangerous as he claims. And with all the indignation he's piled on Bowst, I think his plan A was to lead them on an aimless journey just to get him killed. Sure he said leaving his people is exactly what he wants to not do, but that just makes this quest to make the squishies go away more of an investment. That Hell is encroaching upon them has made Ward's job easier, both in making the world generally more dangerous and full of demons, and it seems a demon related to the previous encounter is the real culprit to Buzzin' Woody's mouthful.

catchesafish
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by catchesafish » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:49 am

Last panel. Same "Klik" from Paper.
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21-2018

If you follow the last row of panels. Forgather is facing Paper, then Idle comes back practically on top of him. The perspective changes to them from the side, and the "klik" is coming from in front of Forgath. It's Paper just declaring that it isn't dead yet, which is why Idle's a little confused as she turns toward it and Forgath, who can see it already, is more concerned.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Even if it is Buzzin' Woody, which is suggested by the word-balloon and the angle now that you mention it, look at the state of him with skeleton-Idle hanging out of its mouth like a cartoon tongue. The teeth are cracked, the jaws have been severed, and the bugs are no longer buzzing around it. This is the creature's dying words, same as Bowler* before him.

How's that for original klik's name? "Dies' pal" just doesn't cut it and his given name has been obsolete for a while now.

TrueFederalist
Remains Silent

Post by TrueFederalist » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 pm

I think Waspy is dead and we're about to see Junior. The terrain is similar to where we last saw Junior and it was very much alive then. It's also clear to me that Bowst and Idle are probably played by two of the three players who keep getting their characters killed. Idle has been shown to have the power to kill a corrupted klik and she could do it again if need be. My guess is that she'll try to delay until tomorrow but she'll then decide to die honorably to save Bowst. Whatever it is, it won't be her rushing in to die for no good purpose. If she permadies, it'll be to save Bowst.

But even if she does make the decision, that doesn't mean she will. If they've come across Junior, then Saves a Fox and Dies Horribly might show up. And you know, it's been long enough that Dies Horribly could have been inspired by Saves a Fox and taken some adventuring levels, perhaps in mage. Idle's Bad Idea should be low enough in level for Dies Horribly to be the one that casts it to take out Junior if he's taken levels in magic use. So anyway, the point of all this rambling is that even if it Junior that just kliked, there are plenty of ways for him to be dealt with depending on what Thunt has in mind.

As for what sort of spell Idle's Bad Idea is, my guess is that it's some variation on retributive strike.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Junior was last seen on the opposite side of Spitrock Lake, at the foot of the Well of Darkness mountain.

So while there's a reason I'm not ruling out his appearance outright, it's definitely a broken narrative to punctuate the sudden defeat of the alleged subject of a hunt with an even more dangerous creature from a different storyline entering the fray and the hunters have no plausible way to defend themselves.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:10 pm Junior was last seen on the opposite side of Spitrock Lake, at the foot of the Well of Darkness mountain.

So while there's a reason I'm not ruling out his appearance outright, it's definitely a broken narrative to punctuate the sudden defeat of the alleged subject of a hunt with an even more dangerous creature from a different storyline entering the fray and the hunters have no plausible way to defend themselves.
Other than Idle sacrificing herself with another giant boom spell, but not coming back this time.

Side note: Playing a character like her would be really fun in an actual campaign.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:58 am

Well suicide bombing isn't exactly "defending yourself" now is it? Besides, Idle's feelings for Forgath give her plot armor.