Take aim... 20/3/18

Discuss the comic here!
User avatar
Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 109

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:I think it's about time we switch back to Dies and Fox, don't you?
No. For the most part, the stuff with dies and Fox has been resolved to completion while thereÔÇÖs actively stuff going on with this dungeon crawl.

User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
Posts: 5257
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:48 pm

It doesn't make sense that she'd be trying to get past him, but it kind of looks like she is, with the green FWOAK sound in the last panel appearing on the side where the fog is already white.

Yeak, OK. I'm still confused. :?
Image Image Image

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute
Posts: 210

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Morgaln » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm

AXIS wrote:Is Kore is doing his bullshit turtle flip thing from the Forgath fight in the top three panels?
No, he isn't. When he did that during the fight with Forgath, the shield was in front of him when he keeled over, and after he got back up, the shield was on his back again. In other words, in order to use that flip, the shield needs to change position (front to back or back to front). Since the shield was on his back and is still on his back, he didn't do it again this time.

Also, Forgath severed the tip of one of the rails the shield runs on during their fight (the left one, you can see it in this page). That means the shield is very likely to go off the rail the next time he flips it in front. That particular damage is certain to be a Checkov's gun, or rather rail te next time he tries to use the shield.
Shardstorm wrote:Yeah, I assumed so. I didn't really follow how that physically worked the first time though, but I just take it as his 'thing' and don't worry about it.
The whole way the shield is set up doesn't work physically, so that flip wasn't in any way special in that regard.

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 20

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by MinesData » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 pm

rwstyles wrote:
He likely knows feather fall though, since falling is one of his biggest weaknesses.
Paladins don't have access to feather fall (apart from "Cure Serious Wounds" which is the poor man's feather fall :lol: ). He might have a gadget/gimmick which wouldn't be surprising as he seems well prepared in terms of gear to combat his weaknesses.

User avatar
RG2Cents
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 13
Location: The Roughwoods of SC.
Contact:

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by RG2Cents » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm

This board has enlightened me a little, but for the most part I still feel confused. The thought has occurred to me though (and considering the great length of Kin's tail), that she is using said tail to cause panels to turn green even though technically she isn't there. All this would have to be done under the mist, which is a perfect medium for misdirection tactics. To what end this strategy is directed, well, I'm just not sure. I will say that my anticipation for the next page is off the charts. ;)

User avatar
AXIS
Of Few Words
Posts: 69

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by AXIS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Morgaln wrote:
AXIS wrote:Is Kore is doing his bullshit turtle flip thing from the Forgath fight in the top three panels?
No, he isn't. When he did that during the fight with Forgath, the shield was in front of him when he keeled over, and after he got back up, the shield was on his back again. In other words, in order to use that flip, the shield needs to change position (front to back or back to front). Since the shield was on his back and is still on his back, he didn't do it again this time.

Also, Forgath severed the tip of one of the rails the shield runs on during their fight (the left one, you can see it in this page). That means the shield is very likely to go off the rail the next time he flips it in front. That particular damage is certain to be a Checkov's gun, or rather rail te next time he tries to use the shield.
You're right, he doesn't need to do the somersault bit like he did with Forgath because he's already on his back laying on the shield.

Although damned if I can tell that in Panel 1 from looking at it, whats the bit that looks like a shiny bum supposed to be, his knees?

Pretty sure panel three though he's using the impossible flippy bits on the bottom of his shield to stand up at least through.

Hjerne
Of Few Words
Posts: 66

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Hjerne » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Sessine wrote:
blueeyeddragon wrote:I have a more worrying interpretation. Kin went invisible while Kore was on his back and is trying to get past him, but her IME is not covered by the invisibility and is still triggering the wall panels. Kore is working this out and next page will see him shooting where he knows she is.
Why would she be trying to get past him? The only reason she ventured out over the pit was that she still thought Minmax might have come this way. After the conversation with Kore, she should be able to work out that this is very unlikely: Kore said he was specifically hunting for Minmax, and he had not met him. She needs to get back to the doors, and she knows she can't do that by herself... she can't move fast enough. Her only chance is to lure Kore to follow her back across the pit.

Maybe he'll fall in, maybe he won't. But this is a pit she can't traverse alone. She needs him to follow.
She doesn't need him. She has parchment.

User avatar
Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
Posts: 377

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Sessine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Hjerne wrote:
Sessine wrote:Maybe he'll fall in, maybe he won't. But this is a pit she can't traverse alone. She needs him to follow.
She doesn't need him. She has parchment.
That's what I'd have thought, but in that case, why was she panicking on the way in?
► Show Spoiler

Istaran
Remains Silent
Posts: 2

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Istaran » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 pm

It'd be funny if the green IME Kore is after right now was her IME flowing from a summoned badger or the like (she'd have to have Silent Spell feat for that, but we don't know what feats she's picked up. Also, for a wizard that'd take some foresight to prepare).

Anyways, once she inevitably gets off the platform and lets Kore drop, she should probably mismatch the colors so the platform seals him down there for the time being.

User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
Posts: 970

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Glemp » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:14 am

Is it just me, or does Kore look off in panel 5? His eye hole is much bigger than normal. Or has that been the case since the redesign?

User avatar
BuildsLegos
Converses Frequently
Posts: 720
UStream Username: BuildsLegos
Location: So rorery in OKC

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 am

BuildsLegos wrote:I don't fallow your logic. The symbols between her and the exit are already green and the opposite half should remain white no matter what. Then of course there's Parchment to ensure one symbol remains beige until the time is right. The stated rule is that there must be at least 2 colors in the room, and there's no way that'll fail as long as both Kore and Kin are there. As she slithers away, Kore's IME will chase her, but there's nothing to suggest that it'll be faster. Kore will no doubt pursue, but the only advantage to do so will be the slim chance at giving her a bolt to the back and hearing her taunt as he inevitably falls.
I hope I don't need to spam this.
"I miss good ol' Jar Jar."
— aurilee

User avatar
Shardstorm
Whispers Softly
Posts: 60

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Shardstorm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:39 pm

I don't see why you are? You've pasted it without context.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

User avatar
WastesTime
Is Heard Often
Posts: 364
Location: Krak├│w, Poland

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by WastesTime » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Amazing, I just love the last few pages! I don't believe any of you have read this but the current development reminds me a lot of a scene in one of the books from the Witcher series where the main heroin (broken, with her girlfriend/lover and friends killed and her narrowly escaping) finds herself on a frozen lake, covered in mists with her oppressors and the main man behind all of this (Leo Bonhart, he and Kore would get along just fine). Because of the mists she has an upper hand and decides to face 'em. Mists + her skills + a pair of ice skates... brutal and beautiful dance of death ensues.
She then narrowly escapes from Leo and jumps through a portal as she knows she's still no match for him yet - I hope the same will be the case here as I don't believe Kin can stand up to Kore just yet and judging from her actions she knows this, too.

Kudos, Thunt and applause because these few panels are mindblowingly touching and pretty. Loved it!
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

User avatar
Dillon19910
Remains Silent
Posts: 3

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Dillon19910 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Has anyone else noticed Chief on any of the chains since the first time in http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02042014? I see a lot of goblins, and the one in panel 7 of http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-6-2018 looks very close to Chief (with the double line marking) but has his eye closed completely so its hard to tell if its damaged like in the first appearance.

User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
Posts: 970

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Glemp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:08 am

Dillon19910 wrote:Has anyone else noticed Chief on any of the chains since the first time in http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02042014? I see a lot of goblins, and the one in panel 7 of http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-6-2018 looks very close to Chief (with the double line marking) but has his eye closed completely so its hard to tell if its damaged like in the first appearance.
I would say it's Chief since it has the distinctive double stripe down its face. Duv's stripe looks different, so the one in panel 7 must be unique to the Cryptic Fall Clan, and Kore hasn't been this far south before according to THAC0, so he couldn't have killed an earlier chief, especially as he wipes out entire clans at a time.

User avatar
Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 109

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Liquidmark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:21 am

Glemp wrote:
Dillon19910 wrote:Has anyone else noticed Chief on any of the chains since the first time in http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02042014? I see a lot of goblins, and the one in panel 7 of http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-6-2018 looks very close to Chief (with the double line marking) but has his eye closed completely so its hard to tell if its damaged like in the first appearance.
I would say it's Chief since it has the distinctive double stripe down its face. Duv's stripe looks different, so the one in panel 7 must be unique to the Cryptic Fall Clan, and Kore hasn't been this far south before according to THAC0, so he couldn't have killed an earlier chief, especially as he wipes out entire clans at a time.
Exactly how powerful is Kore? Thinking about it, Duv seemed to be a much larger threat and I think junior would murderize him with no problem considering that Forgath was able to topple and harm him and either of them would make short work of Forgath in a straight up fight.

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently
Posts: 21

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Mindlink » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 am

AXIS wrote:Is Kore is doing his bullshit turtle flip thing from the Forgath fight in the top three panels?
To me it actually looks like he is using the spirit heads to pull him up by the chains, the "KKKKK" sound effect even sounds like the sound a chain makes while being pulled.

User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
Posts: 970

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Glemp » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 am

Liquidmark wrote:
Glemp wrote:
Dillon19910 wrote:Has anyone else noticed Chief on any of the chains since the first time in http://goblinscomic.com/comic/02042014? I see a lot of goblins, and the one in panel 7 of http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-6-2018 looks very close to Chief (with the double line marking) but has his eye closed completely so its hard to tell if its damaged like in the first appearance.
I would say it's Chief since it has the distinctive double stripe down its face. Duv's stripe looks different, so the one in panel 7 must be unique to the Cryptic Fall Clan, and Kore hasn't been this far south before according to THAC0, so he couldn't have killed an earlier chief, especially as he wipes out entire clans at a time.
Exactly how powerful is Kore? Thinking about it, Duv seemed to be a much larger threat and I think junior would murderize him with no problem considering that Forgath was able to topple and harm him and either of them would make short work of Forgath in a straight up fight.
Duv's main weapon are sharpened blades that can cut through solid steel (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12092006), so she could theoretically cut through his armour but I don't know whether she'd be able to penetrate into the flesh deep enough. She's also incredibly gymnastic, so I can see her successfully dodge the crossbow bolts.

User avatar
ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
Posts: 301
UStream Username: TwoCoo
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 am

Liquidmark wrote: Exactly how powerful is Kore? Thinking about it, Duv seemed to be a much larger threat and I think junior would murderize him with no problem considering that Forgath was able to topple and harm him and either of them would make short work of Forgath in a straight up fight.
Junior is vulnerable to magic, and once Kore worked that out it would be all over.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

rwstyles
Mutters to Themself
Posts: 36

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by rwstyles » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:41 am

BuildsLegos wrote:I don't fallow your logic. The symbols between her and the exit are already green and the opposite half should remain white no matter what. Then of course there's Parchment to ensure one symbol remains beige until the time is right. The stated rule is that there must be at least 2 colors in the room, and there's no way that'll fail as long as both Kore and Kin are there. As she slithers away, Kore's IME will chase her, but there's nothing to suggest that it'll be faster. Kore will no doubt pursue, but the only advantage to do so will be the slim chance at giving her a bolt to the back and hearing her taunt as he inevitably falls.
I don't know Kin's and Kore's speed ratings, but I suspect that Kin is faster. The fog should have time enough to color all panels Kore's color if she leaves as quickly as she can.

What if two colors touch a panel? Before Kore showed up, Parchment could have stayed on a panel, but which would win - Parchment's color, or Kin's color. Doesn't matter now, but might have allowed her to pass thorough chamber.

User avatar
Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 109

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Liquidmark » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 am

Glemp wrote: Duv's main weapon are sharpened blades that can cut through solid steel (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12092006), so she could theoretically cut through his armour but I don't know whether she'd be able to penetrate into the flesh deep enough. She's also incredibly gymnastic, so I can see her successfully dodge the crossbow bolts.
I think that, at the very least, duv would neutralize whatever Kore has going for him based on what he has demonstrated so far. If he can actually grab her then thatÔÇÖd be a different question alltogether.

ForgetsOldName wrote: Junior is vulnerable to magic, and once Kore worked that out it would be all over.
I donÔÇÖt think Junior would give him the opportunity to figure it out, tbh. Junior seems to start off with decapitating blows off the break and is simply merciless and relentless in his assault. Kore would start out with his axe or crossbows while junior pierce his armor and turn him inside out or wear him like a meat suit or something.

Come to think about it, Kin could be a deadly threat to Kore considering that she popped her evil scorpion version like a cork in the Maze of Many without any real combat training. Even if Kores armor is really hard, she could break his bones at the jointsand immobilize him temporarily until he can cast some sort of healing spell.

User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
Posts: 970

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Glemp » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:01 am

Liquidmark wrote:
Glemp wrote: Duv's main weapon are sharpened blades that can cut through solid steel (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12092006), so she could theoretically cut through his armour but I don't know whether she'd be able to penetrate into the flesh deep enough. She's also incredibly gymnastic, so I can see her successfully dodge the crossbow bolts.
I think that, at the very least, duv would neutralize whatever Kore has going for him based on what he has demonstrated so far. If he can actually grab her then thatÔÇÖd be a different question alltogether.
I agree, he was able to pull the monster tavern's barkeep through the door slot so he could easily snap Duv's neck if he caught her. However, the hobgoblins she fought could probably do that too - actually catching her will be the problem. I think her best tactic to stay out of reach would be throwing her blades through his helmet's eye slit (which is also in his shield, so that wouldn't help), and hope it would kill him before he could cast Lay On Hands. I doubt it would though, and it would be a very difficult throw.

User avatar
Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 109

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Liquidmark » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:53 am

Glemp wrote:
Liquidmark wrote:
Glemp wrote: Duv's main weapon are sharpened blades that can cut through solid steel (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12092006), so she could theoretically cut through his armour but I don't know whether she'd be able to penetrate into the flesh deep enough. She's also incredibly gymnastic, so I can see her successfully dodge the crossbow bolts.
I think that, at the very least, duv would neutralize whatever Kore has going for him based on what he has demonstrated so far. If he can actually grab her then thatÔÇÖd be a different question alltogether.
I agree, he was able to pull the monster tavern's barkeep through the door slot so he could easily snap Duv's neck if he caught her. However, the hobgoblins she fought could probably do that too - actually catching her will be the problem. I think her best tactic to stay out of reach would be throwing her blades through his helmet's eye slit (which is also in his shield, so that wouldn't help), and hope it would kill him before he could cast Lay On Hands. I doubt it would though, and it would be a very difficult throw.
I think she has the dexterity and accuracy to pull it off. Especially as a combo. Her fight against the hobgoblins was devastating. I think it would be no contest if she has the entire viper clan backing her up

Yaba
Remains Silent
Posts: 1

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by Yaba » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:42 pm

RG2Cents wrote:This board has enlightened me a little, but for the most part I still feel confused. The thought has occurred to me though (and considering the great length of Kin's tail), that she is using said tail to cause panels to turn green even though technically she isn't there. All this would have to be done under the mist, which is a perfect medium for misdirection tactics. To what end this strategy is directed, well, I'm just not sure. I will say that my anticipation for the next page is off the charts. ;)
Seems like the goal would be to make him wreck his other axe and possibly run out of crossbow bolts. If the pit trap doesn't kill him, best to leave him with as few weapons as possible. Once she runs down his ammo, retreating in the direction from which she came would be the most prudent tactic.
Sessine wrote:
Hjerne wrote:
Sessine wrote:Maybe he'll fall in, maybe he won't. But this is a pit she can't traverse alone. She needs him to follow.
She doesn't need him. She has parchment.
That's what I'd have thought, but in that case, why was she panicking on the way in?
Her IME cloud appeared to be outpacing her, and she doesn't know how long the passage is. If she was forced to leave Parchment on the wall and she moved beyond vocal range, she may have been forced to abandon her familiar. It's moot now, of course, since Kore is providing a counterpoint IME.

speakslittle
Whispers Softly
Posts: 63

Re: Take aim... 20/3/18

Post by speakslittle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Junior could definitely take Kore, no contest. Even under Dies' control, he was able to penetrate something like..what...3 feet of contiguous stone, then pop out and 1-shot someone? Armor's no help, J's making touch attacks.

Duv...eh. I doubt it. One-winged Duv would have put up a fight. But I'm not sure she would even come close to the hurt the heroes have been able to put on him thus far. She's very candid about her evilness. So she'd say something about destroying the realm. He'd say something about how a feathered wing makes her a mockery of angels and then he'd smite her wing off.

Post Reply