February 26th, 2018: Take My Hand

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: February 26th, 2018: Take My Hand

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 am

The only thing better than being able to fight the good fight is not having to. Kin briefly thought she escaped a situation where she's undoubtedly prepared, but not completely confident.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

Given that she knows he beat Forgath in single combat, and is heavily armoured besides, I think Kin will (wisely) try to avoid fighting him unless she has really good chances.

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Well I'm Left-handed and I always offer my left hand for a handshake.. like it or else!

As for Kyn.. she has A MYRIAD of potential responses that she can truthfully make that give good reason not to offer her hand to a stranger dwarf warrior in a dungeon.

Kyn ~ "...No thank you. And I'll tell you why... the first thing you said to me was to ask me if I was with the inhabitants of this evil dungeon or with a group of miscreants your pursuing... Not who I was, what was I doing here, was I injured or in need of assistance? You never once have offered your name, so I have not offered mine either. And let me inform you.. not offering your name is considered VERY Rude to humans as well! In short you have not given me any conclusive evidence that MY well being or person are of any concern to you what so ever. I happen to have an aversion to touching males as I was repeatedly molested in the past by a man who is now dead. I am alone here and a lower level adventurer than you.. and I'm NOT blind! Frankly your, IME makes me VERY nervous... what are those chained souls?!? Sufficed to say.. I find your SUDDEN interest in friendly gestures... VERY Disingenuous! So NO. I''ll not be offering my hand in ruturn ~ 'Stranger dwarf who still has not offered his name...', and go on my way... or do you wish to make a quarrel and assault an innocent?"
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 pm

sunphoenix wrote:Well I'm Left-handed and I always offer my left hand for a handshake.. like it or else!

As for Kyn.. she has A MYRIAD of potential responses that she can truthfully make that give good reason not to offer her hand to a stranger dwarf warrior in a dungeon.

Kyn ~ "...No thank you. And I'll tell you why... the first thing you said to me was to ask me if I was with the inhabitants of this evil dungeon or with a group of miscreants your pursuing... Not who I was, what was I doing here, was I injured or in need of assistance? You never once have offered your name, so I have not offered mine either. And let me inform you.. not offering your name is considered VERY Rude to humans as well! In short you have not given me any conclusive evidence that MY well being or person are of any concern to you what so ever. I happen to have an aversion to touching males as I was repeatedly molested in the past by a man who is now dead. I am alone here and a lower level adventurer than you.. and I'm NOT blind! Frankly your, IME makes me VERY nervous... what are those chained souls?!? Sufficed to say.. I find your SUDDEN interest in friendly gestures... VERY Disingenuous! So NO. I''ll not be offering my hand in ruturn ~ 'Stranger dwarf who still has not offered his name...', and go on my way... or do you wish to make a quarrel and assault an innocent?"
Another great response!

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:23 pm

sunphoenix wrote:Kyn ~ "No thank you. And I'll tell you why: the first thing you did was ask if I was in league with this dungeon or your enemies; not who I was, why I'm here, was I injured or in need of assistance. You never offered your name, so I have not given mine either; as the initiate of this conversation, that was VERY rude of you! You've not given any evidence that my well being is any concern to you; and I happen to have a phobia of touching males as I was repeatedly raped by a man I've since killed in self-defense. I am a lone lower-level adventurer than you, who can see! Frankly your IME makes me VERY nervous -what are those chained souls? I find your sudden interest in friendly gestures very disingenuous! So I'll not offer my hand in return, 'Nameless Inconsiderate Dwarf', and go on my way -or do you wish to assault an innocent?"
A few re-wordings might be less in-character for Kin, but I made some grammatical and factual improvements.

Granted, it's doubtful any of this would actually mean anything to Kore even if Kin says it; I think she'll know to skip straight to spells or the bandage fake-out, considering his stubborn blood-lust is undoubtedly obvious.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm

By the way, this probably goes without saying, but can we all take a moment and appreciate the artwork of the last few pages? The amount of detail on Kore's helmet and his creepy IME is always impressive, and I really like the effect of the two differently-colored mists in the room.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Yep, it usually goes without saying that Thunt's artwork is superb, but I think he is even outperforming his usual artistic superbness.

Also goes without saying: the careful and consistent details (like the hole in Kore's glove), unpredictable plot twists, master storytelling, etc...

What I find surprisingly awesome is how quick the updates are!
I know we've been told that with the work on G:AR cards and the G:animated kickstarter are done then the comics would advance quicker, but I didn't want to raise my hopes too much.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:02 pm

ForgetsKeys wrote:By the way, this probably goes without saying, but can we all take a moment and appreciate the artwork of the last few pages? The amount of detail on Kore's helmet and his creepy IME is always impressive, and I really like the effect of the two differently-colored mists in the room.
And spend a thought or two appreciating the work of Cheyenne, the master colorist. He was good from the beginning, but he's really starting to settle in now and work ever more brilliantly with Thunt's art.
► Show Spoiler

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Jochi wrote:Yuan-ti have a speed of 30' and hers is not reduced by armor. Dwarves have a speed of 20' and, while I don't think they are slowed by armor (they aren't in Pathfinder and I haven't played D&D in a while), I doubt Kore's extra height will make him faster than her. If she can manage to distract him and cast Protection from Normal Missiles or Shield, she has a decent chance of outrunning him back to the end of the room she came from. As his IME replaces hers in the panels as he pursues her, he will end up falling into the pit, and she can find another path.
Probably NOT what will happen, but it's the way I read the setup so far.
Kore has ranged weapons. If she runs heÔÇÖll shoot her unless she has a way of simply deflecting his bolts. Your suggestion of her casting a spell might work. However, she might not have to flee.

My main thing is that we donÔÇÖt know how powerful kin is. She could be psymax levels of power or just an average run of the mill mage. LetÔÇÖs be real, if Kore ran into psymax... goodbye Kore.

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:29 am

Welp, if she runs and can avoid the ranged weapons, then Kore can't chase, as the bridge will disappear as his IME will turn all the things white.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:59 am

BuildsLegos wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:Kyn ~ "No thank you. And I'll tell you why: the first thing you did was ask if I was in league with this dungeon or your enemies... not who I was, why I'm here, was I injured or in need of assistance? You never offered your name, so I have not offered mine either; and as the initiate of this conversation, that was VERY rude of you! You've not given any evidence that my well being is any concern to you what so ever. I happen to have a phobia to touching males as I was repeatedly raped by a man I've since killed in self-defense. I am a lone lower-level adventurer than you, who can see! Frankly your IME makes me VERY nervous -what are those chained souls? I find your sudden interest in friendly gestures very disingenuous! So I'll not offer my hand in return, 'Nameless Inconsiderate Dwarf', and go on my way -or do you wish to assault an innocent?"
After thinking about it for a while...Kin started off by flattering Kore and playing to his ego (if he has one) with the "Oh mighty dwarven hero, save us from the inhuman monsters that roam the land" stuff. It may be very odd from Kore's POV if Kin has a sudden personality shift.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 am

That's just it though: ego-stroking has obviously failed, so her options are limited to little more than magic and logic.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Maybe she can play it like she's getting suspicious of him. She could start moving her arm as if she's going to shake his hand, and then drop it and say something like "hang on... what are all those screaming heads in your IME about, anyway? They're not all monsters, and I'm suddenly uncomfortable with the idea of touching you."

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Kore has already established that he kills humans and dwarves; disliking the IME is only going to work -if at all- as apart of the larger rejection described above.

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Jochi wrote:Dwarves have a speed of 20' and, while I don't think they are slowed by armor (they aren't in Pathfinder and I haven't played D&D in a while), I doubt Kore's extra height will make him faster than her.
This is correct. :P

zorae42
Remains Silent

Post by zorae42 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Jochi wrote:Yuan-ti have a speed of 30' and hers is not reduced by armor. Dwarves have a speed of 20' and, while I don't think they are slowed by armor (they aren't in Pathfinder and I haven't played D&D in a while), I doubt Kore's extra height will make him faster than her. If she can manage to distract him and cast Protection from Normal Missiles or Shield, she has a decent chance of outrunning him back to the end of the room she came from. As his IME replaces hers in the panels as he pursues her, he will end up falling into the pit, and she can find another path.
Probably NOT what will happen, but it's the way I read the setup so far.
Shield/Protection from arrows just gives you an AC bonus that, given Kore's incredible level and the fact that she's not wearing much armor to begin with, I doubt would actually help.

She'd need to be able to cast 5th level spells and have fickle winds prepared in order to really be able to make an escape. And that'd require her to be pretty high up there in comparison to the rest of the party we've seen. Not that it's out of the realm of possibility, but it does seem unlikely for there to be such a huge power difference between them.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Between the fog and indestructible tail, she'll be able to escape from even a battle-able Kore with minimal risk as long as she stays low. A binding or illusion spell would help, obviously.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:09 pm

My D&D experience is decades old... in my day, a magic-user with any sort of levels would never consider exploring a dungeon like this without at least Feather Fall, and if at all possible, Fly. Do those spells not exist any more? If they do, it looks like for some reason Kin didn't prepare them.
► Show Spoiler

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:45 pm

sunphoenix wrote:Well I'm Left-handed and I always offer my left hand for a handshake.. like it or else!
You don't really actually do that to people right? That was a joke?

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:43 am

No, I was not joking... its reflexive.. no one has ever looked weirdly at me for doing so... HERE is the first place I ever heard that it mattered what hand you shook hands with. So... being left handed I've always offered my left hand. In fact... I can't rightly recall the last time I've shaken hands with my right.. though I know I have in the past shaken hands with my right when my left was occupied with something else but I know I've more often shaken hands with my left than my right. I've never thought about it much until now honestly ~ and no one I've shaken hands with has considered it odd. Though I now do recall I get called southpaw some times...especially after some hand shaking... but its never been seemingly meant at least to me I never took it nor did it seem to be in a derogatory fashion.. just an amused observation.

For a certain.. my left hand IS my sword hand.. I'm quite good with a sword actually...
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:33 am

AXIS wrote:
Well, "like it or else" was the thing for using the right hand for hundreds of years.
For quite a long stretch of those hundreds of years, using the left hand resulted in being accused of being a witch/sorcerer, and consequent death sentence.

Using the left hand was simply.... unclean. The devils hand. Used for ass wiping, and not much more...
That's been quite negligent towards the left handed members of our race.
So I do not take offence when being offered the left hand. And if I know the other offering the left hand does so for everybody, he gets my right hand. After I eyed him curiously. It happens so seldom in Europe.
And then we walk hand-in-hand into the sunset....

(last line was a joke)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mindlink » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:20 am

AXIS wrote:
You are aware that in the West, you put your ACTIVE hand out, so all lefthanded people shake with their left hand. And in Asia, the left hand is the most common hand to shake with, not the right hand.

Dustin_S
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dustin_S » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 am

ugh, how can a paladin have such horrific charisma and wisdom scores?! Kore sounds like a whiny little narcissist in this page.

"Why didn't you wanna hang out with me? I mean, i seriously don't care, I would've said no anyway but i need your validation waaaa"

:lol:

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:23 am

Dustin_S wrote:ugh, how can a paladin have such horrific charisma and wisdom scores?! Kore sounds like a whiny little narcissist in this page.

"Why didn't you wanna hang out with me? I mean, i seriously don't care, I would've said no anyway but i need your validation waaaa"

:lol:
There's a whole "WTF Kore" thread. I gave up on it long ago.
Anyhow Thunt has said the guy's a real paladin by some mysterious means yet to be discussed.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Or more accurately, yet to be directly confirmed in a single page. I've been trying to tell you people for a while now that a perception-altering curse is the only way a paladin can both commit evil and keep their powers; the tabletop clerk at the mall said so! (Really, I asked about that and the details of Fumbles' accidental and regretful near-slaying of an innocent. Then when I was finally ready to buy some books with birthday money, they were gone.)