Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog post

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog p

Post by Krulle » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:49 am

Yeah, but the IME flows from the Owner of the Axe, not from the axe. The axe simply has an IME-colouring depending on who the owner is. But the IME effects are not visible on or by the Axe.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:55 am

Hm, you'd think the axe might have demon lord IME.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:34 pm

That would make it too obvious to non-paladins -like say, worshipers of said demon lord; there wouldn't be much hope for the realm if any chaotic evil creature could actively seek out that notorious weapon that could be used to end the world.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 am

Krulle wrote:Yeah, but the IME flows from the Owner of the Axe, not from the axe. The axe simply has an IME-colouring depending on who the owner is. But the IME effects are not visible on or by the Axe.
Well, I dunno how it is where you live, but where I am, there's alas no magic that could make a IME (color or shape) visible.
Hence I thought if the buyer has a shape in mind, too, it would be an easy thing to (optionally, for those who want it) engrave a shape representing the wielder/buyer's chosen IME somewhere on the axe, even is that is not something it does/can in the comic. I'm pretty sure it will also come without a demon inside the tiny bauble at the top (not that I would want it!), so, obviously the replica is not a 1:1 thing.

But again, it was just a question. It's been answered so no need to dwell on this. At least as far as I'm concerned.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:30 am

Well, in the world where I live, IME is actually a weird thing.
My wife's IME makes me smile. The people around me can perceive that. And they do comment on it.

But indeed, I could do without a demon in a replica.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:07 am

If only you could form a core in the axe to be made from that color-changing stone stuff that "senses your mood" (aka mood ring) but in reality is based on your temperature. And then enable that core to be throughout the axe, connecting to various places so that when you hold the axe, the rest of the the blade "lights up" with your "personal mood color".

But I'm suggesting something that, while possible...would probably be terribly expensive.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 am

Since the Axe will be printed, it would be difficult to put such a thing at the core. Like you said, terribly expensive.
Otherwise this could be done through electronics and a few strategically placed multi-colour LEDs.

Maybe if the Animated Series ever gets off the ground, a cheap plastic garbage toy "laser-sword"like AoP could be made with these features, but for the indieGoGo? no.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:38 am

The Axe isn't being printed. It's a commissioned piece from famed smith Tony Swatton. Google him and you'll find some impressive work.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 am

The donations feel like the slow drip of a malfunctioning sink.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Which is why we cross our fingers and hope for a last minute burst that floods the kitchen.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Centurion13
Remains Silent

Post by Centurion13 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 am

If you got a $10k donation every day from now until the end of the drive, you still would not make it.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 am

Centurion13 wrote:If you got a $10k donation every day from now until the end of the drive, you still would not make it.
Thank you for that math lesson...

Centurion13
Remains Silent

Post by Centurion13 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:58 am

You're welcome. It was beginning to appear that some of the inhabitants here needed it.

I've been watching the Goblins trainwreck for quite some time. I have seen many good things about it slowly spoiled, including its creator and his die-hard 'fans'. This animation attempt would be another, and it's a shame. It coulda been a contender. One wonders if it wasn't deliberately run aground on the shoals. Wouldn't be the first time someone used fandom to fill their pockets.

So yes, the 'math lesson'. Just in case you start to come down with the same disease that afflicts Tarol Hunt.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:13 am

I think, personally, that a larger gap in time between the goblins cards debacle and this should have probably happened. Granted, who am I, who are we, having only external information to base our opinions on.

That being said, I think plenty of fans for the comic exist, more than enough to help make the goblins animation happen, but maybe a concerted effort by Mr. Thunt to release comics at a 2-a-week pace, for maybe 1-2 years, on a consistent basis, would encourage fans to give generously...

I feel like too much...depressingly bad stuff has happened in the last few years. What fans need is a breathe of fresh air in the likes of discipline and routine.

And most of all. I think that when people look at the amount of money that's being asked for and see 5 minute trailer....they immediately opt out.

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:21 pm

It just feels like too big a project when we barely have an update every two weeks. Smaller steps and consistency like a poster said above would be key to a successful spin-off project.

Silfar
Remains Silent

Post by Silfar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 pm

In my humble opinion? Kickstarter projects themselves need funding. Without using all social media channels, newsletters / email marketing etc. and add a budget on top of it? Good luck getting your numbers.
Coverage on various other pages are also a go-to.

I have seen nothing of the sort for this project, nor for the cards. And frankly, 250K for an animated series is too damn high. Even with the initial 50K coming out of their own pockets (it's a noemal method, you always pitch in yourself to give it a boost / make it more appealing).

That being said, I would have loved seeing it, however did not believe it would work with the above being said.

Matney X
Whispers Softly

Post by Matney X » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm

IMO, the timing was terrible. All of my money is going to Christmas presents, or I would have at least pledged high enough to get a single mini.

Dariune
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dariune » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi guys. Im mostly a lurker but thought I would pop in and add to this thread,

I love the Goblins Comic and I think Thunt comes across as a very genuine, very cool guy.

So on paper this new project is one that ethically I would be more than willing to donate to. I also like the concept (Though not the trailer).

But I tend to agree with BadgeAddict. The timing isn't so good.

For roughly a year now the comic has had a sporadic update history. I really felt for Thunt during his hard times. And the comic is free so we have no right to demand or expect frequent updates.

But the comic is Thunts best known "product". It is his marketing tool and advertising vehicle. When the updates stopped being frequent I noticed the forums became quieter and some of the fans slipped away.

Then of course there is the whole GAR debacle. Again not Thunts fault but you can't tell every one what happened. No ones voice carries that far. And with a reduced marketing tool in the comics the truth is even quieter.

So I agree that the time to do this would have been 2 years ago or in 2 years if the updates became regimented and frequent again.

While I would love to see this do well for Thunt I think his chances would be better once his fanbase is at full strength again.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:15 pm

On the other hand, D&D has seen a MASSIVE resurgence in the last year or two with the release of 5e and you can hardly blame THunt for looking to capitalise on that wave of enthusiasm. He's got a solid cast lined up for this and I think it could be cool. It's not my thing, but whatever - horses for courses and all.

I do wonder about the purpose of it all though. Like, if the 5 minute trailer gets funded, then what happens next? I am not involved in the animation industry at all, but I can't imagine that you need to make a $250k trailer just to pitch an idea to a studio. Or maybe you do? Like I say, I have no idea about this industry. Still, when you've already got an established fanbase, concept art, willing animation artists and voice actors, and a growing potential audience that's coming out of the current D&D renaissance (maybe; there's a lot of free resources out there to compete with...) it just seems like a viable project shouldn't need a super expensive trailer just to pitch it.

Piximae
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Piximae » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:05 am

I hate to agree with others here, but I do. I've lurked with Goblins comic since about 4 years ago, and as much as I too want to see it animated, I just can't trust that it will. I want to pledge a bit of money, but as others have mentioned Christmas and in my state tax season...

I really hope it does, though.

I will say, the biggest issue is marketing. Even the YouTube videos don't have many views sadly...

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:27 am

I don't mean to sound a negative nancy, I mean I like me some Goblins,

250K for a 5 minute trailer though. That is a lot of money for not very much.

I can't see it getting off the ground, I'm actually kinda surprised its gotten as far as it has.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 am

the 250k includes the costs for the mini-figures, Axes, books, shirts, and other rewards as well....
I assume the film will cost much less. Much the "loot" are rather high-priced rewards, and thus do take out a large chunk of the money before the film can be commissioned.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:34 am

For those who can't or won't scroll down and read here's the "cost key":
50% - Animation! - The actual job of animating; directing, advanced character design, editing, sound effects, mixing, etc. (=124,000$)

6% - Voice Recording! - The best voice actors in the business, paid at union scale; recording studio rental; voice director; etc. (=14,880$)

26% - Perks! - This is how we get the cool stuff to you! (=64,480$)

18% - Overhead & Fees! - Web hosting, office rental, Indiegogo fees, Stripe Fees, lawyers, accountants, storage, etc. (=44,640$)
► Show Spoiler
So the perks cost 26% (=64,480$), I don't know if you want to call that "much".
The file sill cost 56% (animation AND voice recording =138,880$), which, naturally is less than 100%.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 am

Also, studios get a lot of pitches. You need something good to show them to get them engaged, even with an amazing cast lined up.

I'll also repeat that Tarol is not getting this money, and that he's not doing the work of the series. He has script approval, but otherwise it's the studio and the cast that will be doing the actual work. So the series should not impact the comic update schedule once the crowdfunding campaign is over.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Overshot
Mutters to Themself

Post by Overshot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 am

BadgeAddict wrote: That being said, I think plenty of fans for the comic exist, more than enough to help make the goblins animation happen, but maybe a concerted effort by Mr. Thunt to release comics at a 2-a-week pace, for maybe 1-2 years, on a consistent basis, would encourage fans to give generously...

I feel like too much...depressingly bad stuff has happened in the last few years. What fans need is a breathe of fresh air in the likes of discipline and routine.

This.

This, this, this, this, this!