Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog post

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog p

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:59 pm

I've backed projects based on recommendations and the KS pitch, without knowing more. Matt King's World of Steam, for example. Thunt said to check it out. I watched the video and looked through the description, and that was enough that I decided to chip in. The success of this project depends on people who don't read the comic but do like the cast coming in to help.

Anyway, heads up: Thunt says he, Danielle, Matt, and Phil will be doing a Reddit AMA tomorrow from 9am to (I think) 1pm PDT. Here's the time zone conversion.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Glemp wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:How would somebody know if they wanted to give money toward turning Goblins into an animated series if they haven't read the comic (and thus would get any in-jokes)? I mean, I would definitely read a comic before I decided to give it money... well, for anything.
Kickstarter isn't just for existing fans, there are people who trawl the site looking for neat projects. Not to mention that the audience for an animated show and a webcomic don't necessarily overlap - you had might as well ask "How would someone know if they wanted to watch the Justice League/Batman/Avengers/X-Men/Spider-Man/Fantastic 4 animated shows if they haven't read the comics?". If you want people to give money to a cause, ideally you'd want something that appeals to new fans and old.
Yeah, there's a difference between "do I want to watch this," and "do I want to give this a bunch of money." But whatever.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:02 am

I only have one question...which is in case I read something incorrectly.

The 465,000 is only for the pilot episode?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:52 am

Yes. There's a pie chart explaining the cost breakdown, and the stretch goals show how much more is needed for additional episodes.

What they have right now is a cast, the scripts, and an animation studio. That's enough to make the episode(s).

Once made, they can shop it around to production companies. Show them the episode and point to the Kickstarter (as proof there's audience interest) and convince them, based on that, to make the rest of the season and put it on air (or Netflix or whatever).

If you want more detail, the AMA is going for another hour.

Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:48 am

Extra comic page: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/animated-goblins (direct image link)

Doesn't Minmax say "Names"? Has he fully switched over to using "Complains" by now? (panel 6)

edit:
Kickstarter Goblins Animated announcement wrote:
► Show Spoiler
(image)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 am

Wow... Looking at the current pledges, there must be some goblinites with deep pockets. There are two $10k backers, and more than half of the current funding is from people offering $900 or more.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 am

It's not just Goblinites. Remember, we're talking about the voices of Samurai Jack, Winnie the Pooh, The Brain (Anamaniacs), Spike (Cowboy Beebop), and more. They've got their own fans. And connections. The project was promoted by Mark Hamill on Twitter.

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am

From what I've seen, I wonder if it would be worth it for Tarol to do some maths, figure out a handy number (say between 100 & 250) that included the full figurine set but nothing else.

Enough to cover the cost of the set, while at the same time giving money toward the project...It seems a lot of people would want just the set and nothing else based on comments.

Which by the way, unless these are pewter, could be 3D printed with a surprisingly low cost.

Initial design/artist cost: 500 (guess)
3D printing, based on size (lets say 1-2"), complexity (let's say 30 minutes per part) and color (generic based on stated info)
Using this website as a base: http://3dpartprice.com/ gives a price of 5.00/hour for printing, so lets say you could do the whole set 7*60/30=3.5hrs*5$=20 (rounded up)

So you take initial design, plus cost of creation, and for 100$ a pop someone is buying the full set plus donating at least 75 dollars towards the total tally. This is subtracting the 20 for the set plus 5 for the design.

Lots of guesses of course, but after selling 100 full sets, and then some, your price per item starts dropping, etc.

Another thing: https://www.goblinsanimated.org/media
The link for "I'd like an interview please" needs to get moved slighted up so that it isn't chopping off the words that it is currently chopping.
And actually, while I'm noticing things. The image at the top of the media page looks like the top is chopped off, even a small amount of white space on top of the image would make it look better.
The same for the "Creators page" with the picture of Tarol and wife. A thin strip of white border atop the picture would make it look better. (My opinion of course), but it looks a bit chopped off right now.

One more thing, I wonder if it might be beneficial to have an official Goblins-Animated Twitter Handle. I realize Tarol already has one for himself, but it would make something more official to ask questions to, etc.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:24 pm

WearsHats wrote:It's not just Goblinites. Remember, we're talking about the voices of Samurai Jack, Winnie the Pooh, The Brain (Anamaniacs), Spike (Cowboy Beebop), and more. They've got their own fans. And connections. The project was promoted by Mark Hamill on Twitter.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 pm

If you donate enough towards this do you finally get the end of Tempts Fate, The card game and/or actual on time updates?

Matney X
Whispers Softly

Post by Matney X » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:10 am

BadgeAddict wrote:From what I've seen, I wonder if it would be worth it for Tarol to do some maths, figure out a handy number (say between 100 & 250) that included the full figurine set but nothing else.

Enough to cover the cost of the set, while at the same time giving money toward the project...It seems a lot of people would want just the set and nothing else based on comments.

Which by the way, unless these are pewter, could be 3D printed with a surprisingly low cost.
I am one of those people who would really just like the minis and nothing else.

Minis cost a considerable amount of money to make -- there's the sculpting (I'd imagine these are digitally sculpted); then printing a master (if they were digitally sculpted), which usually requires clean-up as very few 3D printers are fine enough to print without visible layers (and, even if they were, it's still cheaper to make molds and cast than it would be to print every mini); and then making the molds -- and that's just for resin-casting, which has the lowest cost of entry.

If they're going plastic / pvc, the cost of making molds for injection is stupid expensive, but those molds can cast a significantly larger number of minis before a new set of molds has to be retooled.

I've never done -any- of that, so I can't estimate the actual costs; I've simply talked to people who have, and it's not uncommon for a limited run to never break even.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Matt King wrote:About figures as a standalone pledge level: Adding a physical reward level gets tricky, because it requires us to make a larger production run of the reward without raising our budget. Since you asked, though, I'll see if there might be a way to make that one work. :)
If there's one thing I've heard consistently from Kickstarter runners, it's that physical rewards are a lot more work and expense than you think, even when you think you've planned for that.

► Show Spoiler

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced
UStream Username: HyperHalfling

Post by DragonTurtle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 pm

BadgeAddict wrote: And actually, while I'm noticing things..
Thanks for pointing out the things you noticed on the website. :) I fixed them.

I'm looking in to the minis issue. I don't know yet if we'll be able to make it work. The thing that makes it tricky is that the budget goal is set, and all the funding we're asking for is allocated, so to make more minis we'd have to use money that's designated to go elsewhere, like into the actual animation. I am trying, though. If you come up with a brilliant plan, let me know.

-Danielle (Creator in the pink shirt, for those who don't know me.)
I am always me, but go by many names, depending where you find me.
@HyperHalfling and @DragonTurtle on Twitter; DragonTurtle here; the_kender, DragonTurtle, or the Hyper Halfling on Twitch; Theodora van Zeeland in the Society for Creative Anachronism; Danielle Stephens in real life, and when you hear me on a live stream. (I don't do Facebook any more.)

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced

Post by DragonTurtle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:34 pm

And while I'm here, I should probably mention that there's an update to the Kickstarter that involves one of the Mystery Cast members. If that interests anybody, perhaps you'd like to take a look, and maybe even help spread the word.... :)

@HyperHalfling and @DragonTurtle on Twitter; DragonTurtle here; the_kender, DragonTurtle, or the Hyper Halfling on Twitch; Theodora van Zeeland in the Society for Creative Anachronism; Danielle Stephens in real life, and when you hear me on a live stream. (I don't do Facebook any more.)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 am

One other thing I noticed, on the main goblins picture, there seems to be a black edge on either side, but not on top and bottom. This helps create the incomplete/chopped off look. If you add a bit of border to the top and bottom, I think it will look much better.

Teiresias
Remains Silent

Post by Teiresias » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:00 am

I am kinda surprised they chose to run the kickstarter for only a single month, I'm getting anxious already. 75k is a great start, but it's still a far cry from 470k. I'm rooting for you guys, I put in $30 with no reward...hope some wealthy fans are feeling generous.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Danielle, any idea what the mini's are going to be made of, pewter or plastic?

Ardon
Remains Silent

Post by Ardon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:19 pm

In regards to there being another kickstarter put up, I've really got to say I'm fed up with the money grabbing behavior. As things are, updates are at a snails pace. Which, if a workload is too much, understandable. That's why we stopped getting an update every three days in the first place, before Tarol's breakdown. However, if it's a matter of overworking, then why are we seeing another attempt to put more weight on his back? If it's hard enough as is to get out reasonable update speeds, why make it harder by spreading yourself thinner? It's a ridiculous tactic, and I see it less as poor judgement on Tarol's part and more of it being a money grab.

If this was a standalone incident, fine. I could say "Wow that's a really bad call." and leave it at that. Hell, if it was a standalone thing, I wouldn't even have bothered making a forum account to post in the first place. But between the community group funding a house, Tempts Fate going tits up in it's rewards fiasco, and Goblins: Alternate Realities getting into a huge clusterfuck that's still not completely dealt with, it's honestly hard to see this as anything but a cash grab attempt and maybe even a con. I don't like thinking that way, I really don't, but when the last kickstarter is still not resolved, with the money having vanished, why are we doing another?

I've loved the comics since I started reading them back in high school. I've taken ideas from it and genuinely believe it to be a good, solid, comic and setting. It's moving away from it being about the actual world and characters and plot, though, into trying to merchandise anything and everything that can come out of it. I know, Tarol needs to make a living. But between a patreon, all the loads of money for the house, existing merchandise options, do we really need to see more cash grabs?

It's sickening at this point,

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Actually, I find this KS more interesting than the board game was....
Seeing how this one is done, I suspect Thunt to have less work with it than the previosu G:AR thing.

Yes, it's THunts comic, and he'll be needed to answer questions for consistency reasons.
But the work will be done by others, as it was originaly promised in G:AR.

Despite that, I am also not too happy about it, but happy because it makes him happy.

At least with this project, it all is so far out of expertise of Thunt, that if it all fails, he won't commit himself to delivering despite not having received the money himself.

My opinion. Feel free to have yours.

Something else: if this project flies, and gets a studio to do the full series, and then good public viewer acceptance, thus second, third, ... series, Thunt MUST increase his speed to stay ahead of animated story, as animation series tend to burn through stories. In 6 years, the animated series will be storywise where we are now. Accounting for it all to take one year before first airing of episode one.
So, maybe I want the seris to fly off, so that Thunt will go back to his poweroutput...
But formost I want them (Danielle and Thunt) to be happy (& healthy) Second for the story to continue.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Just going to correct the points made.
  • Tempts Fate was completed to the point that had been promised during the pledging; the only things not completed were extra pages he offered afterward.
  • We did not, in fact, group fund a house. We funded a down payment.
  • Tarol had nothing to do with G:AR until after the fellow who licensed the characters & ran the Kickstarter disappeared with all the money. Tarol has put a lot of time and effort into making it right, anyway.
Please try to be factual in your critiques. Thank you.

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced

Post by DragonTurtle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Ardon wrote:In regards to there being another kickstarter put up, I've really got to say I'm fed up with the money grabbing behavior. As things are, updates are at a snails pace. Which, if a workload is too much, understandable. That's why we stopped getting an update every three days in the first place, before Tarol's breakdown. However, if it's a matter of overworking, then why are we seeing another attempt to put more weight on his back? If it's hard enough as is to get out reasonable update speeds, why make it harder by spreading yourself thinner? It's a ridiculous tactic, and I see it less as poor judgement on Tarol's part and more of it being a money grab.

If this was a standalone incident, fine. I could say "Wow that's a really bad call." and leave it at that. Hell, if it was a standalone thing, I wouldn't even have bothered making a forum account to post in the first place. But between the community group funding a house, Tempts Fate going tits up in it's rewards fiasco, and Goblins: Alternate Realities getting into a huge clusterfuck that's still not completely dealt with, it's honestly hard to see this as anything but a cash grab attempt and maybe even a con. I don't like thinking that way, I really don't, but when the last kickstarter is still not resolved, with the money having vanished, why are we doing another?

I've loved the comics since I started reading them back in high school. I've taken ideas from it and genuinely believe it to be a good, solid, comic and setting. It's moving away from it being about the actual world and characters and plot, though, into trying to merchandise anything and everything that can come out of it. I know, Tarol needs to make a living. But between a patreon, all the loads of money for the house, existing merchandise options, do we really need to see more cash grabs?

It's sickening at this point,
Hi Ardon,

It sounds like you're having a hard day, and I'd like to invite you to come sit in my living room and relax for a bit. Let me get you a cup of tea. Comfy? Okay.
I can tell you're very upset. I think, though, you might feel better if you'll allow me to correct some assumptions you've made.

A. The animation won't be making money for some time to come. It only starts to make money after the episodes go on sale to the general public, which is after its bills are paid, which is after the animation is complete, which is after the Kickstarter rewards have been fulfilled, which is after the rewards are all made, which is after the Kickstarter campaign is finished. Now, it's true that we won't be doing every bit of that work our individual selves, but that's a lot of work to go through, even discounting the year+ in planning, for what you so casually call "a money grab". This is work. One day we hope it will pay off financially, but that's certainly not why we're doing it. It would be easier to work in a sandwich shop.
B. It's okay for you not to like the comic's schedule, but please don't be angry at reasons you made up yourself for why it isn't the way you want it to be. Tarol's working three jobs right now because there are three projects that need him. He wants very much to give everyone the things they ask for, and he comes as close as he can without clones.
C. i) RocketScientist gave you correct answers. The community group did not fund a house, they funded a down payment, for which we are still very grateful. It is wonderful to know that so many people appreciate what we provide for free so much that they want to pay for it anyway.
ii) Tempts Fate has the number of pages that were promised, however, Tarol will admit that he overstretched in trying to provide more story than originally promised. When things settle down and he has less jobs overlapping, he does intend to finish the Tempts Fate story as he imagined it.
iii) Yes, G:AR (Goblins: Alternate Realities) has been a trial. The funding campaign overjoyed us, and the betrayal devastated us. It was hard on everybody who contributed. The fact that Tarol picked up the broken pieces and put them back together is a testament to how much he cares about the community who supports him. He's working three jobs for you, Ardon. The progress of the game can be found here, if you're interested in the details. http://www.goblinscomic.com/gar If you were a backer, there's a note for you personally on that page. Fixing the game fiasco is taking a long time, but everyone who pledged for a game will get one. We're not making money on that deal.
D. It sounds like you think we have a vast merchandising empire. That would be lovely, if we did, but you are mistaken. The only Goblins merchandise available for sale was the ebook for Book One and Two, and even those sales are on hold during the campaign, because updated versions of them are included in pledge levels. If you're aware of Goblins merchandise available on the internet, please let me know, because it isn't sanctioned by us.
E. We do have Patreon, it's true. You can publicly see how much money we make every month. That's our paycheque. We get a little extra each month from advertising, but if that bothers you you're welcome to use an ad-blocker. I don't think it's unreasonable to let people put money in our cup if they want to, but if you do, you certainly don't have to contribute. It's all voluntary. Just like this Kickstarter campaign.

Thanks for listening, Ardon. If you'll permit me, I have one more thing to say.

Please don't come into my living room to scuff your muddy boots on the carpet, yell at my community, and upset my friends. If you have a problem, please come to me directly. I don't recognise your name, which means you've never emailed me. You've never tried to bring your concerns to me in a polite or private manner, which means you're here to make noise and cause trouble. That is not cool. This is a nice place for people to hang out. If you want to be a part of it, you're welcome here, though I suggest you wipe your boots on the mat first and let the community know you're friendly.

Danielle, wife of the accused.

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced

Post by DragonTurtle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:16 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:One other thing I noticed, on the main goblins picture, there seems to be a black edge on either side, but not on top and bottom. This helps create the incomplete/chopped off look. If you add a bit of border to the top and bottom, I think it will look much better.
Ooh, argh, yes, I agree! That little black strip has been driving me crazy! I haven't figured out how to get rid of it. >.< But you're saying I should *add* to it. Hmm. Maybe I can do that. I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced

Post by DragonTurtle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:24 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:Danielle, any idea what the mini's are going to be made of, pewter or plastic?
We've budgeted for the minis to be 3D printed. We haven't picked a material yet, because we're not sure exactly how much the figures will cost each. We can't have the model sculpting done until we fund, and the price per figure depends on the model and material combined. So, we're working within a price range of "not less than X, not more than Y", and we'll see what material choices look good on the model we like the look of. It's possible we'll have more choice options than just plastic or pewter.

Sorry, that was a lot of detail to say "I don't know". :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:04 am

As for suggestions on how to add a "black border". In word its easy, you just right click and edit the properties of the picture to say you want to add a border, I'm guessing its not quite as easy on website building. The only thing I can think could work is if you added a black box behind the image which stuck out around the edges a bit, this could give the appearance of a border. Otherwise we're talking editting the image in photoshop or somesuch.

You're doing a great job though Danielle.

And might I add that it is lovely to see you so active on the boards as of late. I really wish Tarol had more time to come and join in on our merriment as well. I mean, you know, other in the games section...I mean, who would want to discuss the comic. :D

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:48 am

DragonTurtle wrote:The only Goblins merchandise available for sale was the ebook for Book One and Two, and even those sales are on hold during the campaign, because updated versions of them are included in pledge levels. If you're aware of Goblins merchandise available on the internet, please let me know, because it isn't sanctioned by us.
I might be mistaken because I don't follow this closely at all, but weren't there other merchandises like stuffed goblins, T-shirts, anymugs, ..., available from an official source?