Mar 9 2013: Minmax' Choice

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Mar 9 2013: Minmax' Choice

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:51 pm

New page, just after I got here! Now Minimax seems screwed and neither Forgath nor Kin know which key to use. Bummer.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Re: Catch!

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 pm

The view from the top of the tower reminds me of Bilestoad.

notimportant
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: not_important

Mar 9th comic: Minmax' Choice

Post by notimportant » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 pm

That was actually one of the things I thought Minmax might do. But I hoped Kin and Forgath would have done something to assist him.

EDIT: Other thread was posted first, so use that for discussion until the moderators can merge.
Last edited by notimportant on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Catch!

Post by SamWiser » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:56 pm

Well, we still don't see the red helmet FMK. Perhaps, it will go down, kill all of the FMK's in there, and he will be safe for a while. That will give them time to find a way to get Minmax back. That's the most important thing right now.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

WhispersToSquirrels
Of Few Words

Re: Mar 9th comic: Minmax' Choice

Post by WhispersToSquirrels » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:57 pm

I facepalmed and thought, "Oh, MinMax, you brave, brave idiot."

napslikecat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by napslikecat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 pm

I remember ages ago about someone in the forums wondering what happens when not all members survive to the end...

now we'll know, unless Kin plays with the closing mechanism we saw in the hallway

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Well, we still don't see the red helmet FMK. Perhaps, it will go down, kill all of the FMK's in there, and he will be safe for a while. That will give them time to find a way to get Minmax back. That's the most important thing right now.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

banjo2E
Remains Silent

Re: Mar 9th comic: Catch!

Post by banjo2E » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Maybe the mechanism that closed the mouth has a keyhole? For the mouth key?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Mar 9 2013: Minmax' Choice

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Pink Kin is awesome. :D And I don't even like pink.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Mar 9th comic: Catch!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm

banjo2E wrote:Maybe the mechanism that closed the mouth has a keyhole? For the mouth key?
From what was seen in a previous update, it was from gears and machinery, not keys. However the others are likely to be able to open it back up since they are already there.

notimportant
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: not_important

Post by notimportant » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:15 pm

If he can survive the room somehow, he could try to make it back to the zombie corridor and climb back up again.
But the best idea would be Forgath and Kin claiming victory and then teleporting to him with the Jade Teapot, possibly bringing other useful loot items with them.

Hanii Puppy
Remains Silent

Post by Hanii Puppy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 pm

The dark shadowy figure in the ninth panels is stinking of foreshadowing ... it's a creepy fore-shadow.

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Either he's so dumb he figures he can win, or he'd rather die than forget his memories with Kin. Either way, his motivation is still sweet and his courage (either stupid or sacrificial)is highly commendable. To risk his life for love...
http://www.goblinscomic.com/01312006
Who would think that the guy from panel 10 was capable of feeling love for a "monster" like Kin.

Excellent writing, Thunt. You are, so far, in league with Pixar in my opinion. I'm not an emotional person, but you've tugged at my heartstrings like only a Pixar movie (and apparently Goblins) can.
Misery enjoys company.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:28 pm

SamWiser wrote:Well, we still don't see the red helmet FMK. Perhaps, it will go down, kill all of the FMK's in there, and he will be safe for a while. That will give them time to find a way to get Minmax back. That's the most important thing right now.
Or maybe he'll just kill them all a few at a time as they come up? He can probably take them all as long as he has the height advantage and they don't swarm him.
RocketScientist wrote:Pink Kin is awesome. :D And I don't even like pink.
She looks like candy. :3

She also has another Oblivious, hopefully it won't copy hers off his.

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Now that they can unlock the treasure room, Kin and Forgath could load up on magic weapons and use the Jade Teapot to teleport back to save MM before hitting the red circle. In fact, since the blue circle signals victory just having them step into it might reset everyone but the winning party. Then all the others would vanish from the puzzle room and going back to save MM would be easy.
Kin has seen the rules written on the treasure room so she could figure this out unless she's too worried about MM to think straight. In that event, I could see her using the Jade Teapot to go back alone and die saving him.

Loyal
Remains Silent

Post by Loyal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:51 pm

How could it be another Oblivious? Minmax picked it up during this very dungeon crawl.

Jared
Remains Silent

Post by Jared » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:07 pm

No.

Gods, no.

WhichWayDidHeGo
Mutters to Themself

Post by WhichWayDidHeGo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Loyal wrote:
How could it be another Oblivious? Minmax picked it up during this very dungeon crawl.
Dunno, but I think she is also wearing another suit of the polychromatic armor. Minmax has been the only one to handle it in our continuity, so we don't know if it will adapt itself to fit anybody.
"O Heracles! The valor of man is vanquished!"
- Archidamus son of Agesilaus, King of Sparta, when @ 350 B.C. he first saw a catapult shot

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:23 pm

My first thought: "Oh. That's clever."

There has to be a way for the mouth to reopen because someone has to win every time.

They can't just teleport and escape. The teapot will teleport you to anyone, but it gets left behind. The only way it moves is if you carry it. What's not clear is how you get out of the maze and back to your own reality once you get the pot. Or what happens if your party is split at the time.

I'm also not clear on how our FMK have run the maze over a million times against less than a thousand others if one party gets the teapot and leaves every time.

In any case, they can't just leave. Not with PsyMax working to destroy the entire multiverse.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ZainAurion
Remains Silent

Post by ZainAurion » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 pm

WearsHats wrote: I'm also not clear on how our FMK have run the maze over a million times against less than a thousand others if one party gets the teapot and leaves every time.
Infinity must be fufilled, every time a team meets the victory condition they are removed from the maze, and a new team is added pulled from the infinite parallel universes. In theory, this means the maze never actually ends until existence itself does, which is Psimax's whole shtick. The fact that they've failed over a million times just means there were over a million parallel universes that they lost too. Their likely not even the only super failures inside the maze at this very minute, but (barring something like psimax) every team is destined to eventually win due to infinity.

Though with Psimax mucking up the works who knows how anything works anymore.

Hrothkael
Remains Silent
UStream Username: banana_butiki

Post by Hrothkael » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 am

I doubt Psimax would be any problem from now on. I have come to the conclusion that the reason why FMK holds an obscene failure rate at the maze is because Psimax has been winning nonstop Millions of times. He is doing this to get every single information possible to create his oblivion. But since our FMK has left the parameters he will just decide to let them go as killing them off would just delay his pocket oblivion project.

What do you think? =) And the oblivion sword is pretty imba so that might help muck up his computations.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:10 am

WearsHats wrote:In any case, they can't just leave. Not with PsyMax working to destroy the entire multiverse.
He's not trying to destroy the multiverse. Just the maze. Which is basically just as bad for the three of them, I guess. But still.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 am

Minmax has two speeds: comical and awesome. And he's not laughing.

Herbert must be PISSED right now.

Anyone here ever seen Mazes and Monsters, particularly Spoony's review of it? This reminds me of one part of the video:
► Show Spoiler
Except the Minmax version is more like this:
► Show Spoiler
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 am

No rocks fall everyone dies yet.

Mithcoriel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mithcoriel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am

Hrothkael wrote:I doubt Psimax would be any problem from now on. I have come to the conclusion that the reason why FMK holds an obscene failure rate at the maze is because Psimax has been winning nonstop Millions of times.
He can't win millions of times. If he wins once, he's out of the maze. At most he could almost win millions of times.

As for those who suggested our FMK could declare themselves winners: if they do that, they'll probably disappear from the maze of many, leaving Minmax behind.
Likewise, it's not guaranteed the mouth needs to have a way to reopen. It could be permanently closed, but once the maze resets, the permanent closing is undone.
(Not that I think it's permanently closed. Kin and Forgath can probably work it somehow).