Mar 9 2013: Minmax' Choice

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: Mar 9 2013: Minmax' Choice

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:17 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:You have a lot of faith in the "altKins". (I'm wondering why members of three separate groups would be working together, so they may just be three members of Kin's Clan, set to return with their Quest Item.)

The Tower has a ledge at the top which will stop a regular-sized MinMax from getting squished.

It is easier to grab a guy's leg and toss him off a Tower, than it is to fight people below you while climbing safely down the Tower.
I find your lack of faith...disturbing.

However, the ceiling's face dips down with a mouth small enough to fit between the top bricks.

Not exactly; climbing down just means you have to kick a lot so whoever is grabbing your leg can't get a good grip and might fall off themselves. Besides, I think the tower will rise slowly (if at all) to give our favorite bald turd a chance to have an epic fight(ing chance).
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:28 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Besides, I think the tower will rise slowly (if at all) to give our favorite bald turd a chance to have an epic fight(ing chance).
*blinks* Slightly off topic, but I'd never throw MinMax into the "bald turd" pile. Sure, he wanted to kill Kin for XP, but he killed his "hero" when he discovered what he was doing to her.

I don't believe the current MinMax in our reality would ever enslave another creature now.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Minmax did a pretty thorough job of sealing the hole in the hallway anyway. I don't really think that's an option

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02152013/
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:35 pm

AccursedBiscuit wrote:Minmax did a pretty thorough job of sealing the hole in the hallway anyway. I don't really think that's an option

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02152013/
An even better reason! And with in-comic logic to support it!

(I wish my brain worked that way. *sighs* Words, yes; visuals... not as much as I'd like.)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:50 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:Besides, I think the tower will rise slowly (if at all) to give our favorite bald turd a chance to have an epic fight(ing chance).
*blinks* Slightly off topic, but I'd never throw MinMax into the "bald turd" pile. Sure, he wanted to kill Kin for XP, but he killed his "hero" when he discovered what he was doing to her.

I don't believe the current MinMax in our reality would ever enslave another creature now.
Dude, take a chill pill; it was a joke. What did you think I meant by "favorite"?

And I admit, I can't believe I forgot about the stone valve, or whatever it is. But I maintain that there must be some significance to the winner's hallway being just above the zombie-infested hallway specifically. You know, like fate.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:06 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:What did you think I meant by "favorite"?
That for some unknown reason you used that term as your pet name for MinMax.

In any event, since you're apparently admitting that MinMax's character growth has not gone unnoticed, I'm more than happy to ignore that line of discussion.

tarnace
Remains Silent

Post by tarnace » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Sigh*

I realize that Minmax's phonetic illiteracy is probably going to be a running gag now throughout the strip, but ascetically it feels like a complete comedic failure.

In character, it seems illogical that "Minmax" or anyone with a similarly typecast character archetype would have used to term "Therapeutic" instead of "bring it Bitches" or some other "cool" macho 80's one-liner-ish term.

Minmax should actually know the implied description of a "pen that comes" - er I mean a panda lung - however he shouldn't actually know that a pendulum is actually called a pendulum, and without that knowledge he should have referred to a clocks "swinging arm" with some other odd off description that didn't make a lot of sense but eventually is figured out by Forgath and Kin leading to desired comedic effect without causing confusion in an off way to the audience - it could have even remaind a lewd reference, like originally intended, adding both awe and shock, but again, in a much more methodical and constructive way

All in all, I fear we are now going to get a series of running gags that will more likely resemble running fails.

But who am I to criticize? I love virtually everything else about the goblins comic

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:50 am

tarnace wrote:But who am I to criticize? I love virtually everything else about the goblins comic
You and a disturbing amount of people making their very first post...

But sure, I'll take a shot at what's at issue there: MinMax doesn't want to appear stupid, so he uses the biggest words he can (as he remembers them) in the best context he can find for them. Forgath is not stupid, and neither is Kin. The "Sara puked it" was shown on screen, and the "Panda lung" was likely something they faced in an earlier dungeon (you know a large swinging blade that has nothing to do with a clock but is sometimes used in traps?)...

I find no failure in MinMaxes vocabulary. He is a very good representative of someone who is trying to appear smarter than they are...and failing absolutely miserably at it! :cheer:

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 am

Sorry for the double post, but.. I have good news and bad news:

The new news is: we have shading! http://www.goblinscomic.com/03092013/

The bad news... Well, check out Forgath's furry beard in the second panel of the last line. :roll:

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am

CelineSSauve wrote:The bad news... Well, check out Forgath's furry beard in the second panel of the last line. :roll:
Umm... what's wrong with it? Ambiguous shading?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 am

The mysterious shadowy figure in the 3rd-to-last panel is no longer mysterius and shadowy. :sad:
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:29 pm

gamecreator wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:The bad news... Well, check out Forgath's furry beard in the second panel of the last line. :roll:
Umm... what's wrong with it? Ambiguous shading?
Check the page before that. Forgath should still have skin and not hair, where the beard used to be.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:55 pm

But he has. It's just similar color to his beard.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 pm

gamecreator wrote:But he has. It's just similar color to his beard.
Compare with http://www.goblinscomic.com/03062013/

He has hair in this page where he has skin and some stubble a few seconds earlier.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 pm

It is called a stubble.

I'll be merciful and spare you the unshaded pages that make it more obvious.

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Low light on Forgath. Emphasis was placed on Kin to highlight (literally) her shock as Minmax throws the keys up dooming him to fight all alone.

I can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic or seriously complaining about something as silly as the shadow on the dwarfs stubble on a darkly lit panel. I'm becoming less and less inclined to even look at these forums.

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:41 pm

morikahn wrote:Low light on Forgath. Emphasis was placed on Kin to highlight (literally) her shock as Minmax throws the keys up dooming him to fight all alone.

I can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic or seriously complaining about something as silly as the shadow on the dwarfs stubble on a darkly lit panel. I'm becoming less and less inclined to even look at these forums.

Awww, don't listen to them! You do beautiful work and most of us appreciate the effort it takes!

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm

CelineSSauve wrote: Compare with http://www.goblinscomic.com/03062013/

He has hair in this page where he has skin and some stubble a few seconds earlier.
I compared exactly with that page when writing my answer. Don't be fooled by ambiguous lighting and watch outline of his beard.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:It is called a stubble.

I'll be merciful and spare you the unshaded pages that make it more obvious.
In those pages yes. In this page, it's a beard. You can't see any flesh tones in there, at all. (Thunt had accidentally put a beard in earlier panels, but they were corrected before shading. This is the first time it's been shaded with an error.)
morikahn wrote:Low light on Forgath. Emphasis was placed on Kin to highlight (literally) her shock as Minmax throws the keys up dooming him to fight all alone.

Yes, I am being serious about there being a beard in the place of stubble.

As for checking the forums. :shrug: Up to you. So long as people try to use logic, I can't really complain. It's not shading that's the issue, it's what was already in the original that you had to work with.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Marnath wrote:

Awww, don't listen to them! You do beautiful work and most of us appreciate the effort it takes!
This. Please don't give up on us Forest. Some people will always find fault - heck, sometimes I'm one of those people - but I know you work hard and always do your best at something nobody else can do, and I really appreciate knowing that you're keeping a comm channel open to your audience. We should always try to be constructive in our criticism, but that's easier said than done, so I hope you can find it in yourself to bear with us. :|
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 am

I don't know if I'm blind or something, but I can not see an issue with the beard. AFAICT it looks the same as it does in all the other pictures where he's in shadow. Nearly the same shade as his skin, maybe with a little stubble texture, maybe not.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the effect that the shading has on each page. So well done, Forest. :)

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 am

Given an infinite number of monkeys, everyone is going to get hit by thrown monkey poo. :)

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 am

CelineSSauve wrote:The new news is: we have shading! http://www.goblinscomic.com/03092013/
And I just LOVE how as the mouth closes, those frames get darker, and darker -- yea, I know they got other torches up there, but it still gives a look of ... you are DOOMED! or something... :)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 am

What torches? You must be thinking of the zombie-infested hallway; their only light sources now that the mouth is closed are the oblivion hole, whatever lights the stairway, and the treasure room.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 pm

CelineSSauve wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:What did you think I meant by "favorite"?
That for some unknown reason you used that term as your pet name for MinMax..
It's from the comic.
http://www.goblinscomic.com/12042005/
and
http://www.goblinscomic.com/04062012/
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler