27 Feb 2017: Being a teller is...

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

27 Feb 2017: Being a teller is...

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:27 am

permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02272017/

Yeah, it looks like it'll be Fumbles, a.k.a. Se├▒or Vorpal Kickass'o.

Good luck with your dentistry, Thunt!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: 27 Feb 2017: Being a teller is...

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:42 am

He may be a "monster", but he's a Good, Strong Goblin.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 am

And again we have nearly the whole group ignoring something someone said about current events. This time it's Minmax's turn to get ignored.

Okay, done the transcription, and went a big back through the tweets to refind this:
[url=https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/832941202609549312]@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins[/url], on 18 February 2017 wrote:I figure that I can finish this page within the next 3 hours. Then I can sleep. A little later, I will probably up the live stream again.
► Show Spoiler
Well, if three hours turn out to be close to ten days..... Hmmm. Well, it's still not as bad as Outsider...

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02272017/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
A sketch of Complains last image stance
Last edited by Krulle on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:09 am

I'm really taken in by how Fumbles' eyes almost align when he looks down (because he's feeling down), making him even more relatable too. And he's taking off his moustache for ever greater effect. He's a sneaky one for sure. :D

But everything else aside... Fumbles already has been guiding the GAP for a long time. It was his idea of becoming adventurers in the first place, remember? :idea:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

elkhantar
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by elkhantar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:00 am

Is it just me, or the color and shading of this page is awesome!? I love it, although I guess it adds its own non-trivial time to the pipeline...

BTW congrats to the memory of some of the people in here. You never cease to surprise me.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:13 am

The colouring is done by Cheyenne, so that may add some time to the pipeline, but not Thunt's.
I assume Thunt has to do some finishing touches when the page returns from Cheyenne, but in total it should still be quite a timesaver.

That reminds me I wanted to copy a tweet over here:
[url=https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/834267314774122497]@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins[/url] on 22nd of February wrote:Talked to @CheyenneWright, and I'm going to *try* for a two page week, maybe end of Feb(ish). *Try* So pray to something large and ancient.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:29 am

About time someone told Fumbles the truth, I just wish Thaco didn't let himself be guilt-tripped into taking it back. Now they'll make Fumbles teller after all, because clearly pretending to be sad makes you perfectly fit to be the spiritual guide for your people. Now he can go and make his best buddy Minmax Chief. Won't that be a surprise to the other goblins? *sigh*

Also, important note to Thaco: making you think he's sad when he isn't has nothing to do with a high Wisdom stat. It's a Bluff check, which is Charisma based. Recognizing who is fit for a task and who isn't as well as having the courage to say so if it is necessary is pretty wise though. Taking it back because it's hurtful, not so much...

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:09 am

GathersIngredients wrote:But everything else aside... Fumbles already has been guiding the GAP for a long time. It was his idea of becoming adventurers in the first place, remember? :idea:
Yeah! I mean, wasn't he the one to tell them each what their favorite classs would probably be? Monk and Paladin and Barbarian... He knows them pretty well!
The point is to have fun.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 am

At least he did before someone broke his mind.
I think Thaco was also referring to him being goofy as being someone in revalidation.
If he ever comes back to the village, he will have a lot of naming ceremonies to do, and he'll enjoy every one of them.

Like "Greates Goblin to walk the Realm".
"Walking Library", "Best Fighter", "Wins Left-handed", "Stumbles to Victory", "Level 10", ....

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:57 am

He's goofy, but does have moments where he's not a complete dope.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 am

Yeah, Fumbles has heart. He's wacky and spacy and such, but he's sensitive.

What makes this page more interesting is that there was a joke that was cut recently (maybe even from the previous page? I don't remember) because it made the page too busy.

Fumbles says he's got a big secret to tell. A confession. He takes off the mustache. Dramatic reveal. "I'm Fumbles. Senior Vorpal Kickasso is just my secret identity." And everyone else just looks at him. "... Uh, yeah. We know."

There's no setup to it at all. No reason whatsoever to think that he believes that it's been a secret. He's switched back and forth right in front of them. They were there when he created SVK. It's totally out of nowhere. That's the joke.

But it also shows that, in his head, putting on the mustache is like a superhero putting on his mask. We've seen glimpses of that a few times. We've even seen SVK's backstory.

You can see how much it means to him in the middle of this page, but that joke would have given it more depth.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Good thing no one is in mortal danger and we have all this freetime for talkie talkie.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:44 am

I guess all five year old children have high wisdom stats then.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 am

Have you ever tried to sneakily eat a piece of candy in front of a 5 year old? They can be very perceptive. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:28 am

Anyone who goes through torture and comes out of it with high empathy has a high wisdom stat.

Not a DnD rule obviously.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:55 am

Or a very strong self-preservation drive.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:29 am

Is wisdom *really* a necessary prerequisite for tellers? I mean if the last teller had much of a wisdom score, she would've given herself a better name.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:34 am

She may have been Young and Beautiful when she gave herself the name.
But the weird thing is she way able to give herself a name once she became teller.

So, once Fumbles becomes teller, his official name might change to "Se├▒or Vorpal Kickass'o"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:44 am

RocketScientist wrote:Is wisdom *really* a necessary prerequisite for tellers? I mean if the last teller had much of a wisdom score, she would've given herself a better name.
Game mechanic wise, I'm assuming it is their spellcasting ability stat, similar to cleric/druid.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:34 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Is wisdom *really* a necessary prerequisite for tellers? I mean if the last teller had much of a wisdom score, she would've given herself a better name.
Game mechanic wise, I'm assuming it is their spellcasting ability stat, similar to cleric/druid.
It's also the stat that boosts skills having to do with perception, empathy and healing (both physical and mental).

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:50 am

Krulle wrote:Or a very strong self-preservation drive.
That kind of person wouldn't end up being empathetic to the Minmaxes of the world.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Well, Minmax did treat him like a person, despite his obvious problems...

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:09 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Have you ever tried to sneakily eat a piece of candy in front of a 5 year old? They can be very perceptive. ;)
Would you trust it to make life changing decisions for you then?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:30 am

Well, since they are so perceptive, I would listen to their advice, and possibly dismiss it.
Thing is, all of the Goblins are rather young, with the current exception of one bitter, grumpy old Goblins from a previous age with different rules.

If you need a teller, out of all the kids available, who would you elect, knowing that after that you might need to elect a chief too?

(^_^)
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by (^_^) » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:44 am

spiderwrangler wrote:He's goofy, but does have moments where he's not a complete dope.
More than one

Friendly reminder that Senor Vorpal Kickass'o is *the* goblin when it comes to solving issues by looking at them rationally.

He is not stupid.
He is not irrational.
He is not lacking in knowledge.

He is 'goofy', all right, but why would that be an issue? Most "shaman figures" have their own quirks, most of the time explained by their old age, so it's not a problem when one is just natrually quirky.
Sure, when you have the choice, you would rather pick one that is 'normal' and easy to interact with, because why make life harder for yourself. But they do not have a choice, and Fumbles is actually right goblin for the job.