Feb 13 2017 - What?

Discuss the comic here!
Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Re: Feb 13 2017 - What?

Post by Sidewaysgts » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Never Finishes Anyth wrote:
Sidewaysgts wrote:
Never Finishes Anyth wrote:Is Big Ears missing his glove in panel 12?
More than a glove. Check panel 8 (and 9).
Sorry, should have specified -- right hand glove.
Doh. I dont know how I missed that

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Yeah I interpreted it as:

* Complains explains that Tellers can heal, but only when in positive hitpoints.

* Only Fumbles and Complains are left positive, and Complains is part demon, so everyone looks at Fumbles to be the new Teller.

* Fumbles, oblivious to what everyone is suggesting, says WHAT. Or maybe he's just realised he has to be the Teller and its an incredulous WHAT rather than a question.
► Show Spoiler

Apsychicrat
Remains Silent

Post by Apsychicrat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Perhaps a silly question and maybe not even the right place, but where in the rules of DnD in which this is based does it say you cant cast while in negative HP? it certainly strenuous and would start you bleeding again, but im pretty sure you can still cast in general.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:32 pm

D&D Wiki wrote:
Dying (ÔÇô1 to ÔÇô9 Hit Points)

When a characterÔÇÖs current hit points drop below 0, the character is dying. A dying character has a current hit point total between ÔÇô1 and ÔÇô9 inclusive.

A dying character immediately falls unconscious and can take no actions.

A dying character loses 1 hit point every round. This continues until the character dies or becomes stable naturally or with help (see below).

Dead (ÔÇô10 hit points or lower)

When a characterÔÇÖs current hit points drop to ÔÇô10 or lower, he or she is dead. A character can also die if his or her Constitution is reduced to 0
MSRD:Death,_Dying,_and_Healing

Essentially, characters in the negative hitpoints are technically unconscious and cannot take action. THunt's comic ignores the unconscious part, but the rest of the rule applies. IIRC, he even makes a joke about it during the first battle with the GAP and the Drow Trio.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Well, at -1 to -9 you are dying
► Show Spoiler
Ah well, ninja wolf... :)
-Best regards LAYF

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:15 pm

LAYF wrote:Ah well, ninja wolf... :)
:ninja: :ninja: :lol:
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Apsychicrat wrote:Perhaps a silly question and maybe not even the right place, but where in the rules of DnD in which this is based does it say you cant cast while in negative HP? it certainly strenuous and would start you bleeding again, but im pretty sure you can still cast in general.
an in-comic rule, it must be :
comic of 21 Nov 2005 wrote:Tryst Drow'Den: This is so not my fault! And technically you're not even supposed to be able to talk right now!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm

I figured everyone was looking at him because he has a minor amount of healing spell. Not sure how well a 1/11th cleric can heal.
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Fumbles the Fortune Teller. Called it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:37 am

MaxtheGreat&Terrible wrote:But what needs to be addressed is that this will put "Senor Vorpal Kickasso" in charge of naming younglings. I approve.
I hope there will eventually be bonus strips showing some of his naming ceremonies. :lol:

And I still vote for Thaco as replacement Chief.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:17 am

Insane Kitty wrote:I figured everyone was looking at him because he has a minor amount of healing spell. Not sure how well a 1/11th cleric can heal.
They can heal hurt feelings.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Isn't Fumbles at least level two? Two-elevenths of a cleric.

I would think this means he gets one-eleventh of 2d8. However it might mean he gets two-elevenths of 1d8. Either way he has a decent chance of getting 1 HP. I think this would give Ears another chance to stabilize? Not sure. Stabilizing is pretty complicated.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Unfortunately in 3rd, paladins don't get Lay on Hands until 2nd level, if this were 5e, he'd arguably be able to do 10/11ths of a HP with LoH...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

katzklaw
Remains Silent

Post by katzklaw » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm

oooooh. i thought that because they were talking about it and not panicking about it, that Big Ears was stabilized at the point that he said "Everything tastes like ouch". i thought they just needed heals to recover before something attacked them... they are still in a potentially dangerous location, they can't just camp out and wait to recover. i hope this is the case...

also... i'm also of the mind that Fumble's/Vorpal's "what?" is the classic "why is everyone suddenly looking at me to do xyz job?" joke

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:12 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Unfortunately in 3rd, paladins don't get Lay on Hands until 2nd level, if this were 5e, he'd arguably be able to do 10/11ths of a HP with LoH...
Paladins don't get Remove Disease until 6th level, either, yet Ears has used it. Paladins can't cast spells until they are at least 4th level, but Ears did cast Cure Light Wounds when he was still level 3. Clearly level doesn't matter the way it does in the actual game, so Fumbles should be able to do something.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Huh, fair point. I never played a 3rd E paladin, so had only looked up that edition paladin in reference to whether they had LoH at first level like 5e.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:35 am

the comic gets worse and worse by every page... they are not even trying to add a lv of realism anymore,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Never Finishes Anyth
Mutters to Themself

Post by Never Finishes Anyth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 am

askstoomuch wrote:the comic gets worse and worse by every page... they are not even trying to add a lv of realism anymore,
Yeah, everybody knows real magic pearls don't explode like that. And real goblins don't wear fake moustaches. And real armor can't just change color like that. And what would a real goblin who is gradually turning into a real demon need with pants? Totally unrealistic.

And after such a promising beginning, too. I mean, who hasn't watched a paladin reading the paladin's handbook to find out what's going to happen next? And, you know, I never attend a hearing or a negotiation without first reading opposing counsel's character sheet.
Last edited by Never Finishes Anyth on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:20 am

I think you are taking his words, and are not listening to what he means. If I may be so free to add my own interpretation: Asks means that the story is becoming less believable. It's breaking the suspension of disbelief. With things getting more extreme, and with the tone of Hunt's writing of dialogue and events, some things seem to be more out of place than they used to be.

To me, I think that the story (especially because there are more updates) is getting somewhere again. I also don't mind the difference between dialogue and event, that was already a thing during the Brassmoon arc, which for me is the highlight of the comic. I'm left wondering "what's going to happen next" instead of "what antics is Hunt up to this time and is he going to screw up the comic" again. So I'm pleased with what's happening right now. But it's understandable I think that certain aspects of the comic are jarring to readers. Especially if you think how the plot got to where it is right now.

If I misinterpreted your sarcasm, I apologize beforehand.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 am

Having read Asks' comment, my first thought was the same as Never Finish.. comment.
But yes, the "quality" of story telling has dropped somewhat, but you cannot be top all the time.
But this whole comic is based on the rules of a "fantasy game" anyway. A game is already not realistic, and a fantasy game even less.
But like Guus, I'm waiting where the story goes ("what's next?") instead of waiting for a turn of events of which I missed the hints.
The slow updating does not help either.
Luckily, this system allows me good backuping and keeps my bookmarks well, even when getting new systems. So I can drop back in after a while again.

Also, this comic updates much faster than another comic I'm following. Which had its last update in April 2016 (page 112 - page 103 was in April 2015), and which ended its prologue in March 2003 (page 17).
Outsider I followed some ten years ago, lost interest, refound it 2 years ago. But with an update rate of some 90 pages in 14 years, I cannot seriously expect to read the end of that story. At least not in comic form.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 am

I love this comic, but I do occasionally have my objections to the storyline. Not with the realism per se, but with the way it sometimes pulls things out of the netherworld and makes you feel cheated.

But at the same time, that's the comics strength. Think of the great moments, like Goblinslayer and a certain window. That was all there; that was planned years in advance. Yet most (none?) of us didn't see it coming, yet it was exactly right. There are others, maybe less successful. Dies Horribly and what he thought his name means. Biscuit and Duv. Chief and Kore. Oblivious! Who but Thunt would be creative enough to come up with Oblivious? Yet that relies wholly a bunch of weirdness that shreds DnD rules into the coleslaw of doom.

Sometimes fans call it, sometimes they don't. The axe felt unfair to the characters, yet it was obviously planned way in advance.

Anyhow, I'm not going to tell Thunt how to do his job because he's way better at this than I'll ever be.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 am

I agree that it's nice to see the story go somewhere again. I just wish it wouldn't just drop ongoing plot lines without further notice. Kore is still hot on the heels of the goblins, and if they don't deal with him, they're going to lead him straight to their village. Yet they've not even begun to formulate a plan or even discuss the problem. Forgath is well aware that Kore is following Minmax and will kill him if he catches up, but instead of trying to persuade his new companions to help him with the rescue, he hares off to a random Klik hunt. Hell is still taking over their world, and demons might escape from the axe at any point without warning, but the goblins don't seem to be worried about that at all, much less prepare for the eventuality.

As for realism, I have to agree with askstoomuch here. I would expect a goblin turning into a demon to be somewhat concerned about what happens to him, especially when he already knows this will destroy his soul in the process. I certainly wouldn't think he'd just go on like it is the most natural thing in the world. Likewise, his friends and family should be concerned as well; after all, he is turning into a demon; he just regrew his arm right in front of them. How can they know the change doesn't affect how he's thinking yet? Demons aren't exactly kind and sympathetic beings; is he even still trustworthy? Or do they have to expect him to turn on them? He might already have lost his soul for all they know. I would not vote that person to be leader of the group. But the comic treats it like it was just a new haircut or something.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:08 am

I recognize that it is a viewpoint that gets a bit slippery, and detracts from the drama and weight of events, but we've seen the characters breaking the 4th wall as players, so while it might not make sense for the characters to overlook such changes, it would be much more likely for players sitting at a table to do so. Of course, we've no direct evidence I can recall that the goblins have players, vs being DM run NPCs with adventurer levels. Like I said, not a satisfying reason for some of what we've observed, but a possible one that rounds off some of the jarring edges....
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:41 am

Morgaln wrote:I agree that it's nice to see the story go somewhere again. I just wish it wouldn't just drop ongoing plot lines without further notice. Kore is still hot on the heels of the goblins, and if they don't deal with him, they're going to lead him straight to their village. Yet they've not even begun to formulate a plan or even discuss the problem. Forgath is well aware that Kore is following Minmax and will kill him if he catches up, but instead of trying to persuade his new companions to help him with the rescue, he hares off to a random Klik hunt. Hell is still taking over their world, and demons might escape from the axe at any point without warning, but the goblins don't seem to be worried about that at all, much less prepare for the eventuality.
Well, they've been collecting loot (weapons, armour, XP) for their fight against Kore and the Demons. That backfired, and right now they are busy with survival.
Anyway, to face Kore, or loose him, they do need to get through this dungeon, so they carry on forward and take challenges as they come. Step by step.
Seeing that they took a random DOOOOORRRRR, they can reasonably expect Kore to take a different route while inside the dungeon, so setting up a trap inside the dungeon and wait for Kore is not a feasible idea.

I see no other option for them than to continue with the dungeon, and take things as they come.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:28 am

I wonder if in facing the room with the doorway that makes you seem evil to your alternate/past/future self, if Kore would even realize or have the restraint to proceed as the goblins did. If his alternate/future self realized and pointed like the goblins did, would he feel too compelled to destroy that alternate to pay any heed?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler