January 23, 2017 - Ignore It.

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: January 23, 2017 - Ignore It.

Post by Krulle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:10 pm

For that, Dies would need to learn about this. Right now Forgath knows, and tha's it. Forgath does not know about a Klik in the Goblins village
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm

I don't think resurrection lessens the impact of a character's death. I still cry every time I watch Wrath of Khan. And also when Gandalf dies. The characters are still in pain, because they don't know a res is coming.

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MinesData » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:41 pm

RocketScientist wrote:I don't think resurrection lessens the impact of a character's death. I still cry every time I watch Wrath of Khan. And also when Gandalf dies. The characters are still in pain, because they don't know a res is coming.
It depends, Dies' death had a lot less impact due to the immediacy of the res and the fact most people spotted there was something going on with the soul trickery.

Although taking a jump of characters at that point would have been a really bad cliffhanger.

The other examples you give, there is enough time for the consequences of death to sink in, with no obvious way to get the character back.

It wouldn't be bad writing for Thunt to bring back Klik and if he plans to, the way he's gone about it was very well done. IMO it'd be a better res than Gandalf.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:45 pm

The big questions are what's the difference between 'born warped', 'infected', and 'cured' (or clean I guess), and which do Junior and Klik fit into?

I'd have thought Junior would have been born warped if anything (warped from when he became his own entity), but that would go against what Ward is saying, but maybe he doesn't have all the information. But fitting with what Ward is saying, maybe Junior counts as infected, and anything he spawned would be born warped instead? Hence him not being killed but rather cured. And where does that leave Klik? I'd have thought he was clean. Young, but clean. Which maybe means he can die, and is staying dead, as Ward talks about them failing to make themselves unable to die, and specifically refers to Infected Klik's becoming sand-like. But maybe Klik was infected by Junior as he died, and hence the sand. Too many questions, too little information, too long to wait!

Edit: I stuffed this up, forgot they were talking about the Klik the took a bite out of the axe of racism, and not Junior. Seems Junior would count as born warped, Klik as infected, and likely this new Klik as infected as well.
Last edited by Shardstorm on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

MaxtheGreat&Terrible
Remains Silent

Post by MaxtheGreat&Terrible » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:13 pm

The sense I was getting from the sand bit and his warning to Forgath was that being clawed (as Klik was) counts as getting infected.

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Can someone link to me or explain this page. I don't get why they are talking about killing Forgath because he is a warped klik.

Thanks

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:04 pm

I'd like to interrupt the conversation to state that I absolutely love the shading and think that Hunt really struck gold with Cheyenne.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Jon Snow wrote:Can someone link to me or explain this page. I don't get why they are talking about killing Forgath because he is a warped klik.

Thanks
You know nothing Jon Snow.

I think it's just a reference to parts of Forgath having been replaced by klik material. Those parts of him (or all of him?) are susceptible to things that can affect the kliks.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:28 am

Permalink corrected: http://www.goblinscomic.org/01242017/ (change made: panel 2: "a sand-like power" -> "a sand-like powder")
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Yeah, "power" is supposed to be "powder", but I'm far too "prou" to fix it.

(Seriously, I'll fix it tomorrow morning.)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:19 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:Can someone link to me or explain this page. I don't get why they are talking about killing Forgath because he is a warped klik.

Thanks

I think it's just a reference to parts of Forgath having been replaced by klik material. Those parts of him (or all of him?) are susceptible to things that can affect the kliks.
Great, thanks

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:37 am

i love the shading, but dont really care for anybody in this group. kinda wished forgath died like a hero against kore

then again I also want to make an asks edit of the comic one day removing any and all refrences to dnd hahahah
i guess we will figure out what happens to the main gang in a year or 2 =p
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Could these two be 2/3 of the Drow trio back again?
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:48 pm

I think it's been speculated before, I personally hope not, though if it is, it would seem they've ditched the worst of the three.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:34 am

It's been speculated that it's all three, Ward being the third member.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 am

If they are then the players have improved their RPing considerably from last time: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11272012/ http://www.goblinscomic.org/05062006/
Maybe they asked to meet some non-monstrous killing machine kliks, and Herbert put them through the Cursewalk to punish them for bad RPing? I can kinda see it from their personalities, Bowst=Baka (he even looks like him), Tuck=Ward, and Yodette=Idle.

DrinksTea
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksTea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:27 am

spiderwrangler wrote:

Thanks

Harsh. It is a confusing page. You really need to jump back to when we last saw Forgath/Salt/Idle/Bowst/Ward to have any idea what is going on. That was only like a year ago... 10/12/2015 to be exact.

Idle: " It seems so sad that we gotta kill him. I know that his power is going to grow and he's gonna destroy the world, blah blah blah. Buts it's not his fault that he became a warped-klik".
OK, so Idle is clearly referring to the warped-klik that took a bite out of Forgath's Axe of Racism (lets call it the Racist Warped Klik, or RWK).

Ward: "We're not killing him. Infected kliks don't really die. If we were born warped, we can die, but infected kliks just kinda turn into sand-like powder. Tell them, hairy-flabby."
Ward first statement clearly refers to the RWK. But then he introduces the concept of an infected klik. On my first read I thought this to mean a warped klik is an infected klik. But if you think about it, they are more likely planning on killing the RWK by infecting it (remember some time may have past since we last saw them).

Forgath: "Huh? But... I... don't know anything about this... klik... you know... all this klik stuff."
Ward: "I know. Just wanted to make you look stupid. Anyways, we take that sand and "cure" him. He heals up, good as new and no longer infected. See, when our species was new, we tried to alter ourselves, so we couldn't die. We failed and now we have warped-kliks."

So when a klik dies from being infected, you can take the sand and cure resurrect it. If the klik was warped before it dies from being infected, it is no longer infected??? (Well duh, you did say "cure"). I would have thought that this should have read "no longer warped" since they are talking about killing the RWK by infecting it, and it is probably more relevant to say when you "cure" the sand of a warped klik, it is no longer warped: pretty important since the whole problem is a warped klik!! The potential consequence of this information is that Junior (Dies out of control body part) is likely to count as having been born warped, and hence will die if he is infected.

Ward: "And since you're partly made of klik material now, you can be infected just like any other klik. So don't let him claw or bite you."
Whoa!! So a warped klik can infect a regular klik simply by clawing or biting . So that is what happened to Klik! So far the reverse (a regular stage 1 klik biting a warped klik) does not appear to be true (remember Klik bit off two of Junior's fingers), so there must be a trick to infecting a warped klik (Ward (stage 2 or more type klik) knows what it is and isn't telling).

And then everybody gets distracted by the hell strands.

Edit: Added some links. Gosh those took a while to find! 2012 was a while ago. For those who have forgotten, kliks appear to have different stages of development, as evidenced here.
Last edited by DrinksTea on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:49 am

But if you think about it, they are more likely planning on killing the RWK by infecting it
It's already infected - it took a bite out of the Racist Axe and was infected by the transformation magic in it. If warped kliks and infected kliks are separate, and being infected doesn't make you warped, then why did Ward bring it up? Exposition?

DrinksTea
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksTea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 am

Glemp wrote:
But if you think about it, they are more likely planning on killing the RWK by infecting it
It's already infected - it took a bite out of the Racist Axe and was infected by the transformation magic in it. If warped kliks and infected kliks are separate, and being infected doesn't make you warped, then why did Ward bring it up? Exposition?
No it's not infected. Why? Because infected kliks turn to sand. If the warped klik was going to turn to sand, then they wouldn't have to go hunt it down.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:56 am

DrinksTea wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:

Thanks
You know nothing Jon Snow..
Harsh. It is a confusing page.
It wasn't intended to be harsh, just a reference...

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLisM2KPDIA[/BBvideo]
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:44 pm

DrinksTea wrote:
Glemp wrote:
No it's not infected. Why? Because infected kliks turn to sand. If the warped klik was going to turn to sand, then they wouldn't have to go hunt it down.
I think you've got that wrong. It is infected, we know because it will turn to sand when it is 'killed'. That's what Ward's telling them.

Glemp wrote:If they are then the players have improved their RPing considerably from last time: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11272012/ http://www.goblinscomic.org/05062006/
Maybe they asked to meet some non-monstrous killing machine kliks, and Herbert put them through the Cursewalk to punish them for bad RPing? I can kinda see it from their personalities, Bowst=Baka (he even looks like him), Tuck=Ward, and Yodette=Idle.
Yeah, that's pretty much what's been theorized. It was in one of the posts on the comics around when they were introduced, maybe someone better with the forums can pull it up. Basically they were asked to sit and watch Forgath and Minmax to learn how to RP, then put through the cursewalk to give them penalties for the fact they were coming in at higher levels (and Herbet being a not great DM, he engineered in things they would have to RP around), and Ward for example asked to be a Klik (the thing that has killed him in the last two games). If you read their introduction from the bottom of the canyon as D&D characters being introduced and all the associated backstory and exposition it makes sense, and even having Forgath join them as a sort of RP guide (being probably the strongest RP'er the Herbet plays with). It's a fun concept and angle, but I've never felt like reading the comic as a D&D game takes anything away from it, whereas I know some people feel it does.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:06 pm

About Idle, Bowst, and Ward being the three bad RP players being reintroduced to the game: I was one of the people speculating along those lines, and it still kind of makes sense to me, but I seem to recall Thunt once said flat out in one of his drawing sessions that that theory was wrong.
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:56 pm

This whole page is an info dump. What I get out of it:

Klik can be brought back.
But Junior can't be brought back.
Forgath has new vulnerabilities to go with his new powers.

If all this stuff with dust and resurrection is going to happen, we might as well be shown it when Ward catches up to the rogue Klik. It does make sense that a Klik born corrupt wouldn't be saveable--there's no normal self to return to.

I still think Yodette is probably alive, which would mean that Idle can't be Yodette's player. Remember that Yodette's player is a teenage boy, and Idle is not exactly what he thinks women should be like. The other two were slightly less stupid, and maybe one of them decided to play a female. She's the sort of over the top personality that's easy to role play.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.