January 23, 2017 - Ignore It.

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

January 23, 2017 - Ignore It.

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/01242017/

I don't think they should ignore it.

Also, I really like the shading. The first and last panels are especially nice. Wow.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: January 23, 2017 - Ignore It.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Forgath surprisingly on point with "What the Hell?"

But yeah, color/style change took some getting used to, but this page is really pretty.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:36 pm

I think the Klik lore is a bit convoluted...why do infected and warped kliks have different rules? Why can one die but not the other? Why doesn't turning to sand count as death? Floating rocks are cool though, especially with the faces they make at the top.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm

This page is purdy!

Somehow I knew THunt would leave the GAP like that.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:07 pm

It was time for a screen change. Because of course it was.

Still, is it just me or do the tops of those floaty stones look like faces, kinda?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

MaxtheGreat&Terrible
Remains Silent

Post by MaxtheGreat&Terrible » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:10 pm

Not sure if I understand the lore (which I agree is a little convoluted), but does that mean Klik isn't really dead?

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MinesData » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Exactly what I spotted.

Klik has certainly been clawed/gouged and therefore would be "infected" before he met his sandy end.

Hopefully they keep the sand with them rather than scattering it.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm

MaxtheGreat&Terrible wrote:Not sure if I understand the lore (which I agree is a little convoluted), but does that mean Klik isn't really dead?
Oooh! I didn't even catch that reference. :tfacepalm: This means a hopeful yay from me.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:48 pm

site won't load for me, and permalink in OP is missing...

Edit:
okay, only front site does not load for me, but direct links (taken from previous thread, amended url) works for me.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/01232017-2/

I bet it has a reason why at a certain height there are two stones in parallel to each other.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

AceJayce
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by AceJayce » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:49 pm

It may be me or just pareidolia, but there are faces in the floating pebbles - too creepy :paranoia:

aeton
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Aeton

Post by aeton » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm

So wait, Bowst can say "whatever" and not punch himself?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Powder? That makes more sense than power.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lady Dawn
Whispers Softly

Post by Lady Dawn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Yay. Klik can be brought back! :)
Oh noes...he's scattered all over the place... Like dust in the wind :(

But now we know there is a good and a bad chance for Forgath.
We won't know in what order though...

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

So, the question I'm having is, is this part of the local landscape/part of their individual quest, or is the floaty rocks from the broken axe. The demon did say that the messed up reality was supposed to be happening all over the realm.

Actually, in that case, shouldn't the current room the GAP+F are in be all toothy and weird, too?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks, Krulle.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:29 pm

SamWiser wrote:So, the question I'm having is, is this part of the local landscape/part of their individual quest, or is the floaty rocks from the broken axe. The demon did say that the messed up reality was supposed to be happening all over the realm.
Ooh, good one. The Hellstrands don't look any different either, so I guess distance from the Axe doesn't matter.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:36 pm

I see faces on the floating strands, I hear arrogance in the floating Klik, and I understand profound bewilderment with Forgarth where he is ...

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh come oooon, leaving them like that? Glad things are moving along faster, or that'd be frustrating :P

Hopefully Klik gets another chance! In the meantime, I sure hope those rocks aren't going to be deadly attackers...
The point is to have fun.

Belzera
Mutters to Themself

Post by Belzera » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Well, that is nice and friendly looking, don't know why they think the floating terror faced stones are anything to worry about, I mean Forgath is only paying Notwalter a visit.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:10 am

Love the shading. The first panel is cool, but I love the last and second to last panel. Love the glow from the lava making shadows in the second-to-last panel. Nice work!
► Show Spoiler

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 am

Them again? Does Dies and company not exist in the comic any more?

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MinesData » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:31 am

Logically, IF Klik is going to be "cured", this will need to happen in the story here BEFORE it happens to Klik.

Doing it the other way around would be kinda weird. It's better (from a story point of view) to learn a bit more about Kilks now than watch Klik get cured and then have exposition explain it away afterwards.

This arc provides the opportunity to fill in enough gaps in our knowledge about Kliks, Warped Kliks and Infected Kliks which will likely prove important when dealing with Junior.

Again, foreshadow important information (such as Forgath's vulnerability to Junior) rather than explain away any critical mechanics that appear for the first time as a major plot point after the event.

Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Post by Catmandont » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 am

MinesData wrote:Logically, IF Klik is going to be "cured", this will need to happen in the story here BEFORE it happens to Klik.

Doing it the other way around would be kinda weird. It's better (from a story point of view) to learn a bit more about Kilks now than watch Klik get cured and then have exposition explain it away afterwards.

This arc provides the opportunity to fill in enough gaps in our knowledge about Kliks, Warped Kliks and Infected Kliks which will likely prove important when dealing with Junior.

Again, foreshadow important information (such as Forgath's vulnerability to Junior) rather than explain away any critical mechanics that appear for the first time as a major plot point after the event.
As much as I loved Klik, I hope this isn't the case. I like where the narrative places Dies, and putting him through the changes Klik's death should incur would almost seem pointless if he 'returned from the dead' at a later time.

However, we really don't know where Dies and Saves' story will pick up once we've shifted focus back to them, so maybe Thunt will set the stage for a resurrection...

BUT, I will be very cross, as I've already completed the 5 stages of grief for Klik (and Chief, for that matter)... Manly tears were shed.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:23 am

I actually read Klik's death the day before the comic got booped upon us. I was sad, not sure how I feel about a potential resurrection.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

MinesData
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MinesData » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Catmandont wrote:
As much as I loved Klik, I hope this isn't the case. I like where the narrative places Dies, and putting him through the changes Klik's death should incur would almost seem pointless if he 'returned from the dead' at a later time.

However, we really don't know where Dies and Saves' story will pick up once we've shifted focus back to them, so maybe Thunt will set the stage for a resurrection...

BUT, I will be very cross, as I've already completed the 5 stages of grief for Klik (and Chief, for that matter)... Manly tears were shed.
Except it wouldn't be pointless, as at the time his "death" was meaningful. If you flip to the last page of the story and find out everyone is OK at the end, then I agree that any peril (or temporary death) that any of the characters get placed in becomes meaningless. No author can avoid that method of reducing the impact of peril of their characters (apart from to kill anyone ever connected with peril). If you didn't go through the stages of grief before the idea of revival was exposed then it would have lessened his death. I think the time between death and this revelation, and the fact that at the time it was felt that the death was permanent (because outsider) doesn't lessen the impact of death at the time the death occurred.

I actually appreciate the set up and misdirection, we knew we knew very little about kliks but everyone jumped to the outsider = permanent death assumption without pausing to think that there might be other mechanics associated with this very strange species.

Then again the anguish inflicted by "You threw him away? You do realise it would be a pretty simple thing for us to cure him from that state?" might be interesting to see. I can imagine that level of guilt not resting easily on the shoulders of Dies. If Dies takes that sand-like powder and scatters it irretrievably, then it'd be akin to the seven dwarves burying Snow White instead of sticking her in a glass coffin. It'd be a true tragedy as Dies would be the agent of his own misfortune once he learns the truth that he was one to dispose of Klik forever.

By the rules as stated by Ward (and he is likely to be reliable in this) Klik is not dead but "kinda turned into a sand like powder". The order of events is correct from a narrative point of view, if we learned of this mechanic BEFORE Klik's "death" then it would lead to the obviously connection that Klik wasn't dead and we could expect his revival. The way Thunt laid the story out, we could not have foreseen the prospect of his revival until this point. This maximises the impact of his death and doesn't lead to any revivals which need to be explained away cheaply as a klik mechanic after the event. Even the exposition was indirect rather than becoming part of the "Quest to save Klik".

If Klik does come back it should be for a story driven purpose and not for "and it all worked out in the end" reasons. He should have a significant part to play in the story.

Does the prospect of Klik not being dead lessen the heroism of his actions? Not at all, we have no reason to believe that Klik knew any of this and every reason to believe he felt he was risking his life (and was dying).