"Oh my!"

Discuss the comic here!
LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

"Oh my!"

Post by LordsBreed » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

That's what I WOULD be saying, if there had been one as told. :P

[mod="RocketScientist"]The title of this post has been changed from March 9th 2013 Comic: "Oh my!" to avoid confusion with the thread for the actual strip when it appears.[/mod]

Greyman
Remains Silent

Re: March 9th 2013 Comic: "Oh my!"

Post by Greyman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I hear ya sir, I'm guessing it'll be a Tuesday update, that or we'll miss Tuesdays. Like all good things, as long as they keep coming, I don't mind waiting. It's Erfworld's lack of an explanation at all that makes me sad.

goblinchild
Remains Silent

Post by goblinchild » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Seems you should be able to hunker down, make 5-10 pages, set them up for auto-post and be several steps ahead of the game. Your comic posts on time, your readers shine, and all is well.
I don't get why the posts are always late.

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

This is not a bashing Thunt post for reference, it's just when you have an awesome product and a schedule it makes people antsy when the schedule gets off. :X

goblinchild
Remains Silent

Post by goblinchild » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:14 pm

LordsBreed wrote:This is not a bashing Thunt post for reference, it's just when you have an awesome product and a schedule it makes people antsy when the schedule gets off. :X
I totally agree. I wouldn't bother to post if I weren't a loyal reader. Still, it really drives me nuts when the site says "Updated every Tuesday/Friday at Noon (GMT -8)", yet in reality it's "Updated every Wednesday/Saturday-sometimesSunday at Noon (GMT -8)."

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Or we could just load the page twice a day and not get upset over it since its free and awesome.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:14 pm

goblinchild wrote:Seems you should be able to hunker down, make 5-10 pages, set them up for auto-post and be several steps ahead of the game. Your comic posts on time, your readers shine, and all is well.
My understanding is that he already works far more than 40 hours each week, and already "hunkers down" and neglects the rest of his life to the extent that he feels he is able. The real problem is that this comic is less collaborative than similar comics with elaborate, plot driven drawings. (Girl Genius comes up a lot.)

Some people have suggested that it should take less than X number of hours to draw each page, but as I have zero cartooning experience I can't speak for that. I also know Thunt has taken advice which was supposed to help him draw faster and made some major changes, but right now they don't seem to be sufficient to let him hit the on time schedules.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Thunt is just one man who does the penciling, layout, dialogue, inking and basic colouring (followed by the wonderful colourist Forest). There is a TON of work that goes into making a blank page into a proper comic and many comic books have teams of experienced writers and artists working on the comic as full-time jobs.This comic is free, drawn by one man and while I am always on the seat of my pants waiting, I find that the update is always worth it. I wish it would move faster but the quality more than makes up for the wait. I'd rather Thunt take his time and give us quality than rush ahead with an inferior product. And once again, this is a comic I would gladly pay for that I am getting for free. :D
Last edited by BeanDip on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:03 pm

You guys freaked me out. I went to the comic first, and I didn't see a new one, then I saw this thread. I went back to the comic and refreshed five or six times just in case.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I did the same thing SamWiser... and was annoyed at the deception in this thread's title.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: "Oh my!"

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:37 pm

This thread title will cause confusion with the actual comic's thread, so I have changed it. Thank you.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I have added a rule to the Rules Thread about this to prevent future confusion, as this isn't the first time someone has done this.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:21 pm

goblinchild wrote:Seems you should be able to hunker down, make 5-10 pages, set them up for auto-post and be several steps ahead of the game. Your comic posts on time, your readers shine, and all is well.
Because every page requires 40-50 hours of work depending on the level of detail. If Goblins was being produced by a studio, it would be something like a 6 or 7 man team. Thunt does this mostly by himself. Forest touches them up afterwards, but that's a recent thing.

ActsStupidly
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: ActsStupidly

Post by ActsStupidly » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 pm

*points to title* Is what I said when I saw the good job Forest did on the previous page!

goblinchild
Remains Silent

Post by goblinchild » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Surrounding Thunt with "yes men" may not be what he needs. How is it that all other professional web comic artists are able to post on time? Doing your work on time and fulfilling your own public obligations is a statement of one's professionalism. If you say you will post on Tuesday and Friday, then post on Tuesday and Friday.

Thunt needs honesty. Don't baby him.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

All others? Um, no.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

goblinchild
Remains Silent

Post by goblinchild » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

All others that I read in any case. I've never found one that I enjoyed that didn't post on time.

goblinchild
Remains Silent

Post by goblinchild » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm

The point is, very simply, if you state you will post on Tuesday and Friday, then post on Tuesday and Friday.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:17 pm

goblinchild wrote:Surrounding Thunt with "yes men" may not be what he needs. How is it that all other professional web comic artists are able to post on time? Doing your work on time and fulfilling your own public obligations is a statement of one's professionalism. If you say you will post on Tuesday and Friday, then post on Tuesday and Friday.

Thunt needs honesty. Don't baby him.
Thunt works up to 15 hours a day, 7 days a week drawing this comic. At one point last year he was drawing while he was so sick that he threw up on his graphics tablet. He works harder than anyone I've ever known. And what he does not need is for you or anyone else to tell him how to run his own webcomic. Please stop.

goblinchild
Remains Silent

Post by goblinchild » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 pm

RocketScientist wrote: Thunt works up to 15 hours a day, 7 days a week drawing this comic. At one point last year he was drawing while he was so sick that he threw up on his graphics tablet. He works harder than anyone I've ever known. And what he does not need is for you or anyone else to tell him how to run his own webcomic. Please stop.
And that's more from the Yes men.
RocketScientist, When you say you're going to do something, do you keep your obligation and do it? Or do you just make excuses?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:28 pm

goblinchild wrote:
RocketScientist wrote: Thunt works up to 15 hours a day, 7 days a week drawing this comic. At one point last year he was drawing while he was so sick that he threw up on his graphics tablet. He works harder than anyone I've ever known. And what he does not need is for you or anyone else to tell him how to run his own webcomic. Please stop.
And that's more from the Yes men.
RocketScientist, When you say you're going to do something, do you keep your obligation and do it? Or do you just make excuses?
OK, now I'm going to say it with my official moderator voice.

[mod="RocketScientist"]Knock it off.[/mod]

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:36 pm

To be honest, the only times late updates annoy me is when it's late with no explanation (and it's because I'm excited to see the update, NOT because I grudge Thunt the time he needs to get it done right). Right now we're at the end of the MoM and he's already said that this coming update is the single most complex comic he's had to draw to date - if that takes him 2 weeks to get right I don't care. Remember how awesome the Battle of Wonder scene was when we saw that for the first time? I'd totally wait to see something that epic again :D

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm

I've never cared at all if he's posted an update late or not - I'm not paying him and I know he is working constantly. Plus I tend to check every day anyway because I come to the forum consistently!

I do wish he'd change his update schedule to once a week, only because I think that would be better for his health and sanity.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Post by Catmandont » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

lingrem wrote:I've never cared at all if he's posted an update late or not - I'm not paying him and I know he is working constantly. Plus I tend to check every day anyway because I come to the forum consistently!

I do wish he'd change his update schedule to once a week, only because I think that would be better for his health and sanity.
I agree wholeheartedly. Granted, I would love to see an update EVERYDAY, because I'm deeply enamored with this little web-comic, and used to check for updates hourly on update days (until I started following on Twitter), but you get my point.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:17 pm

I remember you. Welcome back catmandont!
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett