"Oh my!"

Discuss the comic here!
Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Re: "Oh my!"

Post by Catmandont » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:21 pm

SamWiser wrote:I remember you. Welcome back catmandont!
Thanks for remembering! Glad to finally be back to Super Special Deluxe Forum 5. Or what ever iteration we're on now..... :D
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 pm

lingrem wrote:I've never cared at all if he's posted an update late or not - I'm not paying him and I know he is working constantly.
I agree with that first bit, though I would love to throw money his way, if I could. Unfortunately, I haven't really recovered financially from when my ex fleeced me for $400-500 US to pay for the hosting of his Podcast's website a month or two before he dumped me.

That's why, while I can't afford to support something like Temps, I am constantly on alert for the next book, because it's getting pre-ordered, if that's an option! I'll cut corners for that! o:)

goblinchild
Remains Silent

Post by goblinchild » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 pm

lingrem wrote:I do wish he'd change his update schedule to once a week, only because I think that would be better for his health and sanity.
I agree. If one can't meet one's obligations, change your obligation to a schedule that's more manageable.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 pm

goblinchild wrote:
lingrem wrote:I do wish he'd change his update schedule to once a week, only because I think that would be better for his health and sanity.
I agree. If one can't meet one's obligations, change your obligation to a schedule that's more manageable.
It's been said before, in other threads, that THunt is doing all he can at the moment under his current schedule conditions. Some comic pages take more time to draw out than others due to the complexity of the panels.

If you have an objection with his updating schedule, then stop reading the comic for a while and come back to it. That way you'll have a back log of pages to read without the frustration of having to wait an extra day or two for an update.

NO, I am not a YES woman, but I am human enough to empathize with the artist who works more hours per week than two of my friends combined. Cut him some slack.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 pm

That's just it, though, we're asking him to cut himself some slack.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 pm

He won't. He's already said that he won't. It's his decision and his comic.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:45 pm

No matter how true that is, we ask because we worry.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Thunt is a grownup. He can take care of himself. He's already explained his position multiple times. I don't know how he feels about it, but repeating the same complaints every time an update is late feels a lot less like concern to me, and a lot more like nagging.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Wolfie wrote:He won't. He's already said that he won't. It's his decision and his comic.
I think he talked about a each 4th or 5th day update... But ss fare as I remember it was something about blind ferret not accepting less than 2 updates/week, or the like
-Best regards LAYF

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 pm

If anybody's interested, Thunt made a few relevant Tweets today.

I copied them into the Tweet Talkabout thread in Communities, with links to the tweets.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:07 pm

goblinchild wrote:
I'm not saying that at all because he can't meet them - I don't care at all if he meets his schedule or not, because I check every day and don't always remember to pay attention to what the day is. My stance has nothing to do with obligations.

Although as everyone else said - it's up to him. I'd notice if he didn't post anything at all for a few weeks, but the amount of updates a week I don't tend to notice.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

As I recall, Thunt doesn't have a buffer so that he can do live cams without showing events too far ahead. I put quality above punctuality - hell, I read Dresden Codak!

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Glemp wrote:I put quality above punctuality - hell, I read Dresden Codak!
That means that you don't care about punctuality. Dresden Codak isn't that high quality.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 am

gamecreator wrote:
Glemp wrote:I put quality above punctuality - hell, I read Dresden Codak!
That means that you don't care about punctuality. Dresden Codak isn't that high quality.
Well, yeah, putting something above something else does mean that you care about it more than the other thing. And quality is subjective.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:58 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
Wolfie wrote:He won't. He's already said that he won't. It's his decision and his comic.
I think he talked about a each 4th or 5th day update... But ss fare as I remember it was something about blind ferret not accepting less than 2 updates/week, or the like
Is that true? That's sick!

If it was not for that, I would suggest that Thunt removed the "updates this and this day" and carried on as he is doing right now.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am

I'm not sure whether it was BF or his book publisher, but it was a problem with somebody.

Trojan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Trojan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 am

So basically some posters want Thunt to change to update info to "usually updated every Tuesday and Friday, delayed sometimes when RL intervenes" to explicitly recognise the fact that people get ill, computers break, and that sometimes sh*t happens?

Personally I'd like him to go to take a proper break, or go to 1 "proper" update a week for a while and use altspations or suchlike to satisfy the other update requirement with the extra time used to a) enjoy family life a.k.a catch up on chores, b) get ahead a few pages to give himself a small buffer, c) do the extra stuff that he wants for the books so that books 3, 4 & 5 can go on sale, d) get tempts fate back on track (finish 11, draw 12 in advance for when it's time for another), e) take a break and chill, f) come back refreshed with some ideas for other commercial stuff like posters, fridge magnets, mouse-mats, t-shirts, etc.

I note that he could always have the live-cam sessions for commercial stuff like calendar comics, book extra's, side-treks, etc if he doesn't want to give too much away re: the main comic.

He works very hard, the comic is very good, he gets paid peanuts -I'd rather wait a little, pay some more, etc than see him burn-out or get disillusioned.