January 9, 2017 - LOL

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: January 9, 2017 - LOL

Post by Krulle » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 am

ForgetsOldName wrote: Not sure exactly how it would work, but possibly Maxo would reach his hand in, have it come out the other side, then Complains would hand Max the pearl, Maxo pulls back through to his side, where it would turn vaporous and then could be shoved back into the wall.
No, when Minmax and Fumbles put in their hands empty to grab the ghosts of loot, their hand did not appear on the other side. Only when the ghosts of loot was in their hand, did their hand and the loot materialize...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

(^_^)
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by (^_^) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 pm

So as I suspected, it was a greed trap, and Minmax was just greedy enough to trigger it.

To be fair, most of this loot is not very good. Axe is ok for it's +3 bonus (for Ears), not sure how current Names sword copares to drooling one, Maxo already has Oblivious so does not care. Hook is too much trouble because it can only be used to weaken enemies, coins (or any money) barely exist in story so far so coin ring barely does anything, and amulet is conditionally useful while always being annoying. Same with Int ring, and they do not have anyone that would benefit from increased Int. Staff provides no real benefit as you can't really 'reroll' crits safely.
Glove is gimmicky with no real drawback unless it can be used accidentally (which probably is the case), but overall can be useful against casters.
Cloak could actually be usefull for multiple purposes, like 'disarming' non-magical traps when used by someone with high pain tolerance (Kicaxo).
Wand could by used by "multiclass everything" Sir Vorpal, and while trees would be tiny, if there is no limit on repeated usage, it's an easy way to make ladders.

Also, Names displays once again that he's not brightest goblin in the room. Why the heck shout at others to stop when you can yourself just stop taking that stuff from their hands?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm

RocketScientist wrote:
kida wrote:
Krulle wrote: The Echo Clove: sounds like it'll be hard to use effectively. But does it need to be a conscious pointing, or will unconscious pointing cause this effect too?
Probably the best item there. Very useful if you're fighting a spell caster.
Good thinking.
And Kore. He can't use his paladin powers if he can't speak. That said, I bet this loot is mostly if not all temporary going by the lack of artistic detail on them. But then I've been wrong many, many times before...

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 am

Letting a person who has been tortured wear a cape of torture. Surefire way to kick off some major PTSD symptoms I'd wager. Fumbles'd be a bad one to wear the cape I think.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:20 am

I thought so too.
No, this cape is definitely not for someone who went mad and had his mind broken through painful torture.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:04 am

Well, I was going to defend my pulling through the wall theory, but I'm a Patreon and I got to see that I was wrong already. No further spoilers. The rest of you will learn on Monday.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:39 am

Well, I just saw some Twitch snippets, which can be seen as spoilery....
They don't show much, but enough to show that something is happening next page...

The video snippets have been published for other reasons (Thunt has been spammed during his live broadcast) If you want to see them:

► Show Spoiler
I'm missing some context, especially why Thunt is sorry for Danielle...
But then I was not present....

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:01 pm

I can see them just throwing the pearl into a different room, and closing the door, sure their looted loot will disappear, but I don't think they will take damage that way.
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

Punzil504
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Punzil504 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:13 am

Krulle wrote:The Amu-Let's Talk: good for those who are talkative, and then murder their own party members.
Also good against those evil overlord types who can't resist waxing poetic about the many ways they are going to make you suffer before they actually try to kill you.

Sten
Remains Silent

Post by Sten » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:13 am

How does casting work in the Goblinverse, exactly? Kore needed to speak the words to heal, but would he have cast another spell if he had uttered other words accidentally? That is, could the glove be used to force a caster to perform a certain spell, or only to prevent him from casting at all? (Either way, extremely useful, especially as the range seems to be "line of sight".)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:46 am

Since it's based on DnD, many spells must have somatic, verbal and material components that match the intent of the caster. Accidentally saying fireball while doing everything else to cast cure wounds isn't going to nuke your friend.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Insane Kitty wrote:I can see them just throwing the pearl into a different room, and closing the door, sure their looted loot will disappear, but I don't think they will take damage that way.
LOL.

(Sorry, I had to do this)

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:39 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:Well, I was going to defend my pulling through the wall theory, but I'm a Patreon and I got to see that I was wrong already. No further spoilers. The rest of you will learn on Monday.
And then you'll be waiting another week to learn what Monday means.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:19 am

Sutremaine wrote:
ForgetsOldName wrote:Well, I was going to defend my pulling through the wall theory, but I'm a Patreon and I got to see that I was wrong already. No further spoilers. The rest of you will learn on Monday.
No, I'LL find out on Thursday. You'll be waiting until next Monday. :)

No bragging, but encouraging all of you to take the Pateron leap.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:13 pm

And now everyone knows.

Sutremaine
Whispers Softly

Post by Sutremaine » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:51 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:
Sutremaine wrote:
No, I'LL find out on Thursday.
no i will

I did mean that you'd be waiting another week for the resolution of what is officially Monday's strip, counting from when you saw its content, but I can see where what I wrote would be unclear. Either that or I got distracted by the urge to make some (spoiler-free!) comment and forgot how to count.

theprof07
Remains Silent

Post by theprof07 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:51 pm

I figured MinMax would draw Oblivious and then Complains would toss the LOL Pearl into the future through the hole in the air. Then MinMax could let Oblivious be summoned once they were ready for the LOL Pearl to return (like on the other side of some blast worthy doors). :)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 am

theprof07 wrote:I figured MinMax would draw Oblivious and then Complains would toss the LOL Pearl into the future through the hole in the air. Then MinMax could let Oblivious be summoned once they were ready for the LOL Pearl to return (like on the other side of some blast worthy doors). :)
Kin went through this - only MM's hand and the sword can go through.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:09 am

Glemp wrote:
theprof07 wrote:I figured MinMax would draw Oblivious and then Complains would toss the LOL Pearl into the future through the hole in the air. Then MinMax could let Oblivious be summoned once they were ready for the LOL Pearl to return (like on the other side of some blast worthy doors). :)
Kin went through this - only MM's hand and the sword can go through.
By the same reasoning that allowed the rope to pass through Kore when Ears threw the Axe of Prissan at him, small objects that fit in Minmax hand or can be tied to Oblivious should be able to pass through the hole.

Of course there would still have been a problem with that solution: when Minmax draws Oblivious, he pulls it from the past, not the future. So throwing the pearl through the hole would have blown up past Minmax and created a time paradox.