13 Dec 2016: Who is Dibs?

Discuss the comic here!
SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

13 Dec 2016: Who is Dibs?

Post by SUGauthor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:33 am

http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20161213.jpg

I think Complains raises a valid point. No one even considered listening to him in the first panel (I mean, his orders were dumb but still). How is he supposed to be Chief if he can't command their respect?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: 13 Dec 2016: Who is Dibs?

Post by Glemp » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:25 am

...You actually made me think about how Chief wasn't the comedy stereotype of the boss nobody listens to. Like in the Brassmoon sewers when he decided to rescue Fumbles, or when he explicitly ordered the GAP away from Kore.

Rayston
Remains Silent

Post by Rayston » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Can someone explain to me what is happening with MinMax and Fumbles waving their hands in the first panel? Are they playing patty cake?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:06 pm

Rayston wrote:Can someone explain to me what is happening with MinMax and Fumbles waving their hands in the first panel? Are they playing patty cake?
They're doing exactly what Complains is telling them not to do - walking off the carpeted path and waving their hands through the light beams.

Minmax's armor is either a coloring error or at some point while they were entering the room he said the word green. I'm assuming the latter.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:14 pm

WearsHats wrote:
Rayston wrote:Can someone explain to me what is happening with MinMax and Fumbles waving their hands in the first panel? Are they playing patty cake?
They're doing exactly what Complains is telling them not to do - walking off the carpeted path and waving their hands through the light beams.

Minmax's armor is either a coloring error or at some point while they were entering the room he said the word green. I'm assuming the latter.
He did - in the last page (panel 4) he asked about "the green glowy wall" before stepping through, you can see his green gloves coming through but since most of the page is in silhouette you can't see it until then.
Last edited by Glemp on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Oh yeah, so he did. At the top of the page. Good catch.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Glemp already pointed out the reason for the change to green on the last page's discussion....
But he can repeat himself.

Nice page, but besides the eason for the grabable window contents is not really clear to me.
Is the left window a trap, while the right window would've contained the real loot, but closes off once the left window has been touched?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Starling
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Starling » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:30 am

Who is Dibs, eh? I know only one man who can be called Dibs and his name is Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler. So Minmax sells his excess gear to Dibbler, eh? Who then trades it for more sausages of questionable quality.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:57 am

You'd think hell'd be here by now...
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:13 am

Guus wrote:You'd think hell'd be here by now...
I guess the green barrier they passed through is hell-proof or something...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:31 am

With the destruction of Al Dente the progress seems to have halted.
Possibly the portal is closed for now, and hell cannot enter further into this realm, until the Axe is used during a fight again.

edit:
btw, just saw the following comment on twitter pass by:
@Glowface wrote:@Thunt_Goblins but-- goblins know and practice the ancient tradition of calling dibs. http://www.goblinscomic.org/06262005/
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:1. Thaco is older. Those were young goblins with their young lingo.
2. I forgot that I used the word "dibs". Dammit!

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 am

Krulle wrote:With the destruction of Al Dente the progress seems to have halted.
Possibly the portal is closed for now, and hell cannot enter further into this realm, until the Axe is used during a fight again.
That seems like a horrible design flaw. If the process of hell breaking loose can be halted by not fighting with the Axe, why on earth would the Axe include a beacon to people who want nothing more then to stop hell from breaking loose in the first place? Plus, the Axe had to break just to begin this process in the first place, which means even someone like Saral Caine would have been far less likely to use it in this scenario. It's possible not using the Axe slows the process down, but I can't imagine it actually coming to a stop when there are too many scenarios created for not using the axe to happen.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Thunt said it's happening across the realm. The GAP just took out the first demon to come through near them.

Meantime, though, there's a hell portal walking right at them.

► Show Spoiler

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Maybe it's just turning into a different style of hell?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 am

SUGauthor wrote:
Krulle wrote:With the destruction of Al Dente the progress seems to have halted.
That seems like a horrible design flaw. If the process of hell breaking loose can be halted by not fighting with the Axe, why on earth would the Axe include a beacon to people who want nothing more then to stop hell from breaking loose in the first place? Plus, the Axe had to break just to begin this process in the first place, which means even someone like Saral Caine would have been far less likely to use it in this scenario. It's possible not using the Axe slows the process down, but I can't imagine it actually coming to a stop when there are too many scenarios created for not using the axe to happen.
Well, the "lure" seems to be a trap already. Possibly the whole background of the Axe is a trap. Since only Paladins get magically told what it does, possibly only Paladins get lied to. And then the paladins lie to the others about the Axe. And since Paladins do not lie (being lawful good), why would anyone not believe them?
Bis Ears seems to think the Axe is a trap, a kind of anchor for the portal from hell to their realm (link). The weaker the axe, the more likely is the axe braking, which would free the portal. Sooner or later the portal will open, and Big Ears wants to bring the Axe into hell, so that the portal will be of no use to the demons.

So, the "design flaw" may be fully intentional. The stronger the lure, the more likely it is that the Axe will be used in a fight, where it can break.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:21 am

A Wild Minmax has Appeared in Girl Genius!

Bottom-right corner of bottom panel

EDIT: Missed my chance. I'm sad now. :becry:

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:39 am

Seeing as they had to step through the green portal/force-field thing to get in here, I wonder if they have to step through one of those blue ones. Maybe the weapons/armour are only fully corporeal inside there and maybe they have to fight something.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:47 am

I hope not, or at least that something will happen during that fight that actually furthers the plot, like Kore coming in or hell opening up. And something to add to the gravity of the situation. With hell about to break loose and Kore chasing them I feel like there is a bit too much going on right now to spend too much time on dungeon crawling, which doesn't really seem to add anything to the story. The plot was getting somewhere, it'd be a shame for it to slow down even more right now. They just talked about a plan, I want to see things happening.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:35 am

Don't care what anyone says, Minmax being playful and joking like this mere hours after his supposed best friend "died" is stupid and makes no sense.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:46 am

Same goes for the goblin party and Chief though, he actually died yesterday in the comic. They get over their losses pretty easy.

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:11 pm

With the amount of adventures attacking goblin camps, maybe goblins have developed to where they get over grief quickly, or can postpone grieving until they're fully safe.
For Minmax, he does seem easily distracted. Maybe he's temporarily 'forgot' or isn't thinking about Forgath while he's going through the dungeon. There's things to fight, possible loot, and he's having fun with Fumbles. He may worry more afterwards.

Alternatively, his player knows Forgath is ok and Minmax being upset when the dungeon closed was just for roleplaying XP.

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:45 am

Xavier78 wrote:Don't care what anyone says, Minmax being playful and joking like this mere hours after his supposed best friend "died" is stupid and makes no sense.

And Kin recovered from her trauma with Goblinslayer well enough to start embracing Minmax after 2 days, and Forgath doesn't seem to care at all that Kore's going to kill Minmax and the rest of his clan, and Fumbles seems to have made a complete recovery from his own trauma with Goblinslayer after just a couple days, and Big Ears was joking around with Fumbles mere hours after One Eye was killed......

The list goes on, tragedy just doesn't seem to affect people in this universe the same way it does in ours.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:55 pm

Well, this is a game after all.
When needing weeks to get a game-day on, things get lost.
Bad RPlaying, hence not many RP XP.

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:24 pm

For the swords in the wall, I'm expecting what happens with them is that they're semi-incorporeal but somehow solidify when exposed to the shafts of light in the room. I'm thinking the reasont hey dissipated is that only a few can be taken out in the incorporeal state at a time, and I also suspect there's a limit on how many any one person can take form the room. I'm also guessing that, from a game perspective, it's there as a way for the goblins to get weapons that are somewhat on par with Minmax's Oblivius without them being too similar.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:24 pm

The real answer to Thaco not knowing about calling dibs.

Max as he tends to do is pronouncing the word wrong. He is pronouncing it with a long I so it is like d-eye-bs.