New colourist!

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

New colourist!

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:29 am

Big announcement on Twitter last night. Nothing final or definite yet, but it's big enough news that I thought it deserved its own thread.

Short version is that Thunt is overwhelmed and stressed with work, and has finally hit the point that he's going to look for someone else to help with the art. Likely for coloring and shading. I'm not really sure how this will work out, given that Danielle has already been doing some of the flat colors and last time he tried to hire someone to do shading he had to quit because the workload was too much. Not to mention that he's been working on inking the current page for days. But hopefully they'll be able to figure out something that works better, allowing for a smoother update schedule and less stress.
Thunt_Goblins wrote:Okay. It's officially too much for me. I'm going to be looking into the possibility of hiring another artist for Goblins.
Thunt_Goblins wrote:They'd do some % of the drawing, but not all, most likely. And I might be nowhere near able to afford it. But will look into it.
Thunt_Goblins wrote:After I learn more about how this works and costs etc, I'll post info about what I'm looking for.
Thunt_Goblins wrote:Okay. All done talking with Danielle about this 'hiring help' plan. Back to work.
Thunt_Goblins wrote:Wow! For the last week(ish) I have been a quiet, stressed lump on stream. As soon as I decided to bite the bullet and hire other art...
Thunt_Goblins wrote:I went hard, into chatty Thunt mode. I haven't blabbered like that on stream for a while. I'd forgotten that I even do it.
Thunt_Goblins wrote:Clearly, this is the right decision.
GoblinsOfAurum wrote:I had to do that too but I'm using a gal for my shading. What part are you getting stuck on the ink/lines?
Thunt_Goblins wrote:@GoblinsOfAurum This is one of the things I need to work out. It's looking like having someone else do the colouring/shading might be best.
Yreptil wrote:@Thunt_Goblins You mean like someone to do shades/coloring right? Would you still do the lineart?
Thunt_Goblins wrote:@Yreptil Not exactly sure how it's going to be done. But that sounds like the most likely scenario.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Re: Thunt possibly seeking a new artist

Post by Synch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:57 pm

Man, I'd love to do the colouring/shading. But I've never done a webcomic.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:42 am

Do not underestimate the amount of work you'll be doing for a perfectionist (with the resulting feedback from Thunt).

Further tweets, for the complete collection:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Today I've been researching ethical pay rates for hiring a colourist, which is most likely the direction I'll be going in.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I think before posting ads on Deviantart etc, I'll post on my blog/Twitter, first. This will happen in the near future.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:If you're someone who's considering this, be aware that I'll be looking for (among other things), someone who can do long term.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:For those interested in applying for the job of Goblins colourist...
Requirement Number 1: Don't steal $184,000+ from my readers.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:02 am

For those interested in applying for the job of Goblins colourist...
Requirement Number 1: Don't steal $184,000+ from my readers.
Geeze, harsh requirements right here. (and sadly, far too topical...)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:40 am

The sum is the total funding. We know Thunt did receive some money from Evertide for creating art, and even gave him some money in advance for royalties and future art, when Thunt had his panic attacks...
So, while the readers spent that sum, not all of the money ended up with Evertide as lost money.

Anyway, some replies already joked, they'd do it and steal only 183,999$....

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:45 pm

To complete the story, the blog is up:

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:12 pm

It's a shame that hallway never got used - I assumed Thunt put so much effort in it because he was going to use it as a background for a while, but instead it skips ahead to a different one: http://www.goblinscomic.org/05132015/

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:08 am

Thunt linked to some HD- black and white images, so that artists who are interested can ink and shade one of the comic pages, to give Thunt and the artist more of a feel of the effort needed, and how it will look once done. Some artists asked fro that, so Thunt provides.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I should point out that these pages weren't drawn with the expectation that others would colour them, so they're a little confusing in parts
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Especially with the 1st page with Forgath and Idle. Some panels are a bit unclear as to what's to be done (until you see the finished page).
If you're interested and already applied, there's no need to reapply using these examples:
@Stix_Remix wrote:@Thunt_Goblins I submitted some samples over the weekend. Would you prefer I color your pages and resubmit?
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Colouring my pages isn't needed. I can usually get what I need from looking at your other work. Some people requested Goblins B&Ws, though.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: New colourist!

Post by WearsHats » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Big news! The job has been filled!
Thunt_Goblins wrote:I have the green light to officially announce who the new colourist is. It's none other than @CheyenneWright the colourist for Girl Genius.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:59 pm

WearsHats wrote:Big news! The job has been filled!
Thunt_Goblins wrote:I have the green light to officially announce who the new colourist is. It's none other than @CheyenneWright the colourist for Girl Genius.
That is jaw-droppingly wonderful news. Cheyenne Wright is a total pro, talented beyond belief, basically the main reason I never miss a Girl Genius update. The best! Utterly oh-wow-amazing.

(Why yes, I am a Cheyenne Wright fan. What gave me away?)
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:02 am

Oh, good. So he's got someone who really knows what they're in for, then. I expect this to go well. :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:16 am

Dang! Cheyenne Wright is about the only colorist that I would have been able to think of off the top of my head. And is well able to keep up with the Profs. quick update schedule.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:49 pm

The only concern I have (obviously, Cheyenne Wright has proven to be a very reliable and accurate colourist for the Foglios) is that Girl Genius's colours have a distinct style - I don't know how much of that comes from the style of the comic and will be different for Goblins, but they tended to be...more complex? Like, not as strong and clear as Thunt's. Take a look at the faces here: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20161214. They have two or three colours in them, rather than Thunt only using one plus shadows (and some slight blushing on Kin). The shadows melt into the rest of the face rather than having the sharp lines Thunt uses (http://www.goblinscomic.org/10172013/).

Does that mean I think he's a bad artist? No - I'm just worried about the comic's art style changing too drastically. With luck, I'm wrong and he's an excellent choice.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Better a different art style than the continuous self-inflicted issues due to hroken deadlines. This artist has proven to be able to work fast update schedules, and may therefore be a good choice.

I'm in for the story, I liked GobCom before shading entered the comic, and if just colours return, without shading, I'll be happy enough.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Glemp, Thunt's usual shading style is a compromise, stylized and simplified to streamline his drawing time. It's not what he really wants. On the few occasions he's gone to town and spent all the time his artistic instincts demanded, he's shown us very subtly detailed shading. But... it takes him forever, so he hardly ever allows himself to do it.

Cheyenne Wright is a pro. He does that level of detail effortlessly. All the time, every day, three times on Sundays, without even breathing hard. And his work is gorgeous. He knows how to take direction, that's also part of the job. The colouring style will, I predict, change -- to get closer to what Thunt has always wanted it to be.
► Show Spoiler

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:48 pm

I like the deliberately comic style Thunt has, but honestly I've always just followed the changing comic because I enjoy the story, so I'll ride this out and enjoy it for what it is. And if it's quicker, it will definitely be worth it.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:10 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:The all new Goblins page with colours by renowned artist, @CheyenneWright goes live on Monday, January 2nd. Then every Monday after that.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Just got a colour sample from @CheyenneWright. You're all going to want to check out the new Goblins visuals, on Jan. 2nd! I'm not kidding

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:08 am

This is the first I've been excited about the comic in quite a while.
► Show Spoiler

j-prime
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by j-prime » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Wow! Count me in as a member of the Cheyenne Wright fan club as well - what a great addition to the team!

Btw, he's not 'just' a (Hugo-award winning) colorist - he's also an amazing artist in his own right. If you have any reservations about this guy (and even if you don't) I recommend checking out his web site Arcane Times.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:05 pm

Corresponding blog post:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/goblins-changes-for-2017/

(sorry, was at a birthday party, so did not make it before that to publish a link here)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 am

If the Goblins community wanted to show support for the new colourist, Cheyenne Wright after a house fire where his comics and games were damaged...
ÔÇÅ@Thunt_Goblins wrote: So the Goblins colourist has had a house fire. His comics & board games are water damaged. Here's an address to send new comics/games to. https://twitter.com/i/web/status/821774200335515648
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler