So hey, I have what's probably a dumb question about Minmax

Discuss the comic here!
SumGai
Remains Silent

So hey, I have what's probably a dumb question about Minmax

Post by SumGai » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:06 pm

I remember Minmax using the phrase "Maxo Kickaxo" more than a few times as and after he and Fumbles started up their friendship. But... that doesn't make sense to me. Didn't Minmax trade away his ability to rhyme on purpose for Improved Unarmed Strike?

Did Minmax get a feat that allowed him to rhyme again while leveling up? Is "Maxo Kickaxo" not pronounced in a rhyming fashion? Or am I just thinking too hard about this?

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: So hey, I have what's probably a dumb question about Min

Post by Sessine » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:47 pm

That's because Minmax didn't make it up. Fumbles did.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/05132015/
► Show Spoiler

SumGai
Remains Silent

Post by SumGai » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:17 pm

I know, but wouldn't he still be having to rhyme on purpose to say it correctly? I swear I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I'm just wondering.

Come to think of it, did Minmax make up his door-finding song and dance on his own?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: So hey, I have what's probably a dumb answer about MMax

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:12 am

No, he apparently learnt that from Forgath: http://www.goblinscomic.com/07082011/
[Edit] he remembers it totally wrong:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
So, Forgath is actually making fun of the not-rhyming in front of Kin (who may not know this English children's song, I did know it rudimentary, without the exact texts, so I never noticed Minmax's version is wrong).
[/edit]

So, MM possibly can learn rhymes, and recite them on purpose, but he cannot create rhymes himself on purpose (it might happen accidentally, though, as only "on purpose" has been traded).
I have no problem with that distinction, and having traded only one of the two.

It is a good question though. Depending on the exact formulation of the trade with the DM, the DM might revoke the advantages and throw in a batch of negative XP as penalty for bad role playing ("reciting" can be considered to be "on purpose") .
But we do not know the exact wording of the trade agreement.
[edit] But the teapot "spliying" version shows us, that likely even learnt and recited rhymes are not allowed anymore.
But then the name Maxo-Kickaxo is rather short, possibly just fitting his name-memory, and less his non-funtioning rhyme memory.[/edit]

[edit] wanted to add in some minor comments about Minmax's version not rhyming at all, found a youtube video (because I wanted to say the song is not a rhyme, but a dance performance) which actually showed me how wrong I was right from the start [/edit]
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:47 am

I raised that question when the phrase originally arose - Thunt's answer was that Maxo Kickaxo is a name, and Minmax can say names, because they override the rhyming rule. So he could say Shaun Vaughan or Paul Hall and he can therefore say Maxo Kickaxo.

I disagree with the ruling, but that's the official word.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:52 am

It's a joke from early on in the comics that is now stuck to the official lore, so I'd think it's an oversight from THunt about the consequences a joke like that could have in the remainder of the comic. It's to be expected when you are making a web comic, especially if it's been running for a long time. It's just a minor thing however, so I don't let it bother me. :lol:
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:52 am

Just for fun: here's the thread of the comic where "Maxo Kickaxo" was introduced, with the first post asking that question.

And here's the link to the post with Thunt's twitter answers.

For simplicity, and completeness, I'll repeat the tweets here:
@Wotaod wrote:@Thunt_Goblins Does "Maxo Kickaxo" count as Minmax rhyming purposefully, I wonder?
[url=https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/598092453137133570]@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins[/url], on 12 May 2015, wrote:[...] Maxo kickaxo is okay for Minmax because it's like a name. If someone's name is Fred Pled, he would be able to say it.
[url=https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/598092956424278017]@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins[/url], on 12 May 2015, wrote:[...] But he couldn't name someone Fred Pled or come up with maxo kickaxo. Poems or songs are right out, though.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

SumGai
Remains Silent

Post by SumGai » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:52 am

Ahhh, okay. I wasn't sure if it had been addressed before - mystery solved!