24 Nov 2016: mixing realities...

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: 19 Nov 2016: mixing realities...

Post by Glemp » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:28 pm

C&P'ing backgrounds, he's okay with and has done for a very long time. It's characters Thunt has a policy of never copying, since it looks...limited, as they're more unique.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Yeah. He used to be against C&P for everything. Quality above all else. Then he realized that it does actually look better for static objects. The wall isn't usually supposed to look different from one panel to the next, so redrawing it is not only unnecessary but it introduces minor errors and inconsistencies. People, on the other hand, move. Having them be perfectly 100% still, even from one second to the next, isn't right.

For the upcoming page, there's a static background (I think a doorway) behind them for most of the page. So he will be C&Ping that. (But, of course, that just means he'll spend more time making the one image look better and more detailed before he goes around C&Ping it.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Hjerne wrote:Big Ears seer. Fumbles chief. Between two and four pages of argument about how Fumbles isn't chief material countered with how the seer is never wrong.
And those pages will be spaced out over eight months.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:47 am

Plus some months in between when we follow the other groups of storytelling.

Thanks WearsHats and Glemp.
I was wondering as the pencilled page had no cracks for background, then the coloured page did have, which I just found a weird order when copy-pasting background.
But then, drawing in layers does allow to do things like that...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:34 am

What would happen if their chief ceremony made MM chief?
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:55 pm

The teller is their priest. The chiefing ceremony is a direct call for divine guidance. It seems really unlikely that the god of goblins would pick Minmax as the chief of a goblin clan, not least because he's not a member of the clan.

That said, the call for guidance is not binding. The teller is free to pick someone else. It's only advice. But it's usually not a good idea to reject or overrule your god's advice.

So if the god said to pick Minmax, they could pick someone else. But if they chose to pick Minmax, they'd have to live with it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:30 pm

I vote for Fumbles as Teller and Thaco as Chief. If their god says he has to be Chief, what happens if he says no?

Do they know their teller is dead? I'm drawing a blank. Was it Forgath who killed her? If so, was Minmax there?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:26 pm

Yes, it was Forgath.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/12192005/

If you look on the next page, you'll see Minmax and Fumbles were there. I assume the rest of the GAP knows.

As for the chiefing ceremony, it's like I said. Thunt has talked about this on the livestream. The ceremony asks for divine guidance, but they're free to ignore the advice. The clan makes its own decisions. For example, IIRC, divine guidance said Thaco would make the better chief, but Y&B chose Chief anyway. Their god does not want or expect absolute obedience.

► Show Spoiler

hypothetical
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Hypothetical

Post by hypothetical » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:09 pm

It's just logical that Vorpal becomes the Teller. Oracles are known for being eccentric, and Vorpal sure is that.

#BigEarsForChief2016
I think I may be thinking, therefore I may possibly be being.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:44 pm

RocketScientist wrote:I vote for Fumbles as Teller and Thaco as Chief. If their god says he has to be Chief, what happens if he says no?

Do they know their teller is dead? I'm drawing a blank. Was it Forgath who killed her? If so, was Minmax there?
I assume the same thing would happen as the last time their god said it has to be Thaco and the teller chose someone else instead: nothing at all...

Never Finishes Anyth
Mutters to Themself

Post by Never Finishes Anyth » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:01 pm

WearsHats wrote:The call for guidance is not binding. The teller is free to pick someone else. It's only advice. But it's usually not a good idea to reject or overrule your god's advice.

So if the god said to pick Minmax, they could pick someone else. But if they chose to pick Minmax, they'd have to live with it.
Sort of like our electoral college here in the U.S.A.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 24 Nov 2016: mixing realities...

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:11 am

A small reminder:

(click image for blog post; click here for the comic of 17 December 2010)

Wouldn't it be perfect timing for Thunt to bring a new page on 17th of December, with the election of a new chief, as a commemoration of Chief?
[color=red]Thunt[/color] wrote:If anyone is interested in baking a cake (or something) with a -10 on it and taking a picture, IÔÇÖll gladly post those up here on the site. RIP Chief.

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm almost surprised that neither electing a new chief nor electing a new teller requires intervention of some position that normally stays at the village rather than the warcamp, but I guess it makes sense in a war-centric society.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm

IIRC, normally the Teller does stay at the village?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:13 am

Then why was Young and Beautiful in the war camp?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:35 am

I think the rule was "no women in the warcamp unless they're spellcasters", I don't remember if there was another bit about the teller usually staying behind - I'm too tired to faff around looking in the archives!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:03 am

nikohl wrote:I think the rule was "no women in the warcamp unless they're spellcasters", I don't remember if there was another bit about the teller usually staying behind - I'm too tired to faff around looking in the archives!
Added one for you.

But I did not find any reference to fortune tellers to stay in the village and not join the war camp.
Y&B explaining why warcamps are created at all.
Y&B has been member of three earlier warcamps, so apparently it's not that uncommon, at least not for her, to be part of the warcamp. And she also confesses being a coward, not doing the fighting.
The sign of the Statue Garden actually implies, that the fortune teller usually does form part of the war camp.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:36 pm

Sessine wrote:Exactly! That's why I think he should be the Teller. He has been preparing for this his whole life. He's had a critical opinion of everybody's name, forever. Now he finally gets the chance to do it right. :lol:
Can you imagine Complains reacting to the names Fumbles comes up with?
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:48 pm

The the teller "Old-and-Beautiful" was right.
Nomen est omen.