August 9, 2016: The one we cursed

Discuss the comic here!
SoulReaver
Enjoys Chitchat

August 9, 2016: The one we cursed

Post by SoulReaver » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:24 am

Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/08132016-2/

Old link: http://www.goblinscomic.org/08092016-2/

The question raised immediately: The Second Prissan?
Last edited by RocketScientist on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updating link
All hail the power of the stick!

SirButcher
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: August 9, 2016: The one we cursed

Post by SirButcher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:26 am

Yay, we knew Kore is one of the paladin who was there!

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:56 am

Nice to see a finished page with lovely bold colour and clean lines of all the characters - including the new one. The teeth motif is quite disturbing, and probably relates to all the faces on the reveal of Kore's face underneath his armour.

With this, we know Kore was there at the time of the Demon being captured, and that the Axe is the axe held by Kore at that time, so it is Kore's axe. The teeth motif suggests the demon also has teeth and bone elements to it. fricking awesome !!! What I love about this is that the teeth are coming out of the ground as the flea-demon talks to the party. How freaky is that!!

This does feel like a sudden lurch of the plot, where it was kinda slow or jerky in odd ways, now it is suddenly on a big big reveal after lots of long waiting around. I would hate to see a cut away to our other party members, but it would be a wonderful time to do this and leave us in magnificent suspense.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:34 am

Interesting. So if Kore created the Axe, and if I remember right, the Axe imparts the memory of those paladins who wielded it before to the next paladin, does that mean that mean that Ears has access to early Kore's memories? Might explain a lot about the nature of his curse as well. Cursed to wander the earth, committing atrocities in the name of Good, until the axe failed. Nice insurance planning by the demon, but apparently other paladins intervened and got the axe away from him.

Banderwock
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Banderwock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:01 am

Daaaaaaaang. I like toothy, seems nice.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:08 am

Thunt explained on the livestream that he finds fingers and teeth freaky, so anytime he has to draw something creepy or scary it's likely to have a finger or teeth motif. Don't assume there's any deeper connection than that. This is just a minor demon.

Here's a question:

The axe likely has some good bonuses against demons. But it's cracked now. Using it against this thing: Good idea or terrible idea?

Also, Ears identified attacking Kore with the axe as the moment it probably started to break. Could he be right, but for the wrong reason? Could it have more to do with Kore's role in creating the axe or the nature and origin of his curse?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:34 am

Awesome! I thought that Kore was one of the creators of the Axe, but it looks like he was the creator. I had called the Demon being responsible for the curse, but now it looks like this parasite thing was responsible. I can't wait to see where this goes. Hopefully we'll find out the nature of the curse soon.

I still find it fascinating that both the Axe and Kore himself act as as a sort of prison.

(^_^)
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by (^_^) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 am

SoulReaver wrote:The question raised immediately: The Second Prissan?
Possibly first Prison Axe failed already, and as it was about to break, someone recreated it. That someone being one that borke it in first place, Kore. But for whatever reason, it was imperfect. Not as resistant, inflicting curse on him, requiring him to keep on living and killing in the name of good.

Maybe

GovernmentSpook
Remains Silent

Post by GovernmentSpook » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:20 am

Very awesome. Seeing as the demon deity needs the realm to be a layer of hell, and with Thunt having said before that the GAP would eventually reach a situation where they needed to appoint a new chief; I can see the GAP eventually making their way back to lead their tribe as the whole world gets swarmed with demons. No clue on how they're actually going to deal with the parasite and Kore at the moment tho.

SoulReaver
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by SoulReaver » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:21 am

(^_^) wrote:
SoulReaver wrote:The question raised immediately: The Second Prissan?
Possibly first Prison Axe failed already, and as it was about to break, someone recreated it. That someone being one that borke it in first place, Kore. But for whatever reason, it was imperfect. Not as resistant, inflicting curse on him, requiring him to keep on living and killing in the name of good.

Maybe
But Toothy says (somewhat ambiguously, I concede) "Ripe for <...> holding the Second Prissan" which I assume means that the axe is the first Prissan (or of the first Prissan?), and the second Prissan is yet to appear.
All hail the power of the stick!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:01 am

Unless Kore himself is (or has) the second.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:50 am

I floated a theory a while back that Kore was, himself, a "prototype" or first stab at creating a prison for the demon, but that he failed and then the Axe was created. Looks like there may be some truth to that, with the Axe being the second Prissan and Kore himself being the first.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:58 am

I almost choked on my cereal. Kore... really? The creator of the Axe? He's fallen kinda far...

This is an interesting reveal. They could always sit around and chat with this demon and wait for Kore to show up, since he's enroute anyway. "You wanna meet Kore? Just you wait."
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:26 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:I almost choked on my cereal. Kore... really? The creator of the Axe? He's fallen kinda far...

This is an interesting reveal. They could always sit around and chat with this demon and wait for Kore to show up, since he's enroute anyway. "You wanna meet Kore? Just you wait."
Well, we knew that he was the the last of the Greyhill Paladins. We knew that only one paladin survived the Axe fiasco, and that the paladins/clerics involved in creating the Axe had dealt in "forbidden magic." I'm curious to see what happens if the demon ends up imprisoned in Kore instead of the Axe. He may even *shiver* encounter Chief in there.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:07 am

That thing is freaky. :paranoia: Suddenly looking forward to Kore getting here, though.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:15 am

Yeah, things are going to happen! :confetti:
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

hector212121
Remains Silent

Post by hector212121 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Actually? This totally explains why Kore is still a paladin.

You see, a evil act can only be called evil if it's commited of your own free will. I'm not talking about coercion('i'll kill you if you don't') or anything like that; it could still be CALLED evil. I'm talking about flat-out mind control.

That said, I would have expected his patron deity to withdraw divine powers ANYWAY, so that position has probably been taken up by a Lawful Evil or other evil aligned deity who managed to emulate Good divine power. :shrug:

Well, that, or he's a Paladin of a Lawful Neutral deity who agrees with 'kill potential evil', but i somehow doubt any such would exist. Certainly no LG or NG gods would.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:01 pm

And now, Ladies and Gents, it is time to switch to the MAP... you know, just to mess with us ;)
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:07 pm

hector212121 wrote:Actually? This totally explains why Kore is still a paladin.

You see, a evil act can only be called evil if it's commited of your own free will. I'm not talking about coercion('i'll kill you if you don't') or anything like that; it could still be CALLED evil. I'm talking about flat-out mind control.

That said, I would have expected his patron deity to withdraw divine powers ANYWAY, so that position has probably been taken up by a Lawful Evil or other evil aligned deity who managed to emulate Good divine power. :shrug:

Well, that, or he's a Paladin of a Lawful Neutral deity who agrees with 'kill potential evil', but i somehow doubt any such would exist. Certainly no LG or NG gods would.
Gods don't grant/withdraw paladin powers in 3.x, which the comic is based on. Thunt can house rule it, of course, but deities have nothing to do with paladinhood in the core rules.

Treharren
Remains Silent

Post by Treharren » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:52 pm

First post, but the way I read it is as this, wondered what people thought?

I think the curse might be as simple as living forever, doomed to know that the axe would be broken sooner or later, and that his work would eventually be for nought.

So, over time he goes a little crazy trying to exterminate any evil and any trace of evil just to try and make sure that there are fewer possible axe wielders... because the little wrongs are in the name of preventing death to all, he keeps his paladinnines?

Maybe that fails in the rules, but seems the most likely thing to me?

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:14 pm

It's a fun thought Treharren, but it'd break the paladin code, and thus would cause him to lose his powers. So, because Hunt says that Kore retained his powers according to the rules, that cannot be the case.
YardMeat wrote:Gods don't grant/withdraw paladin powers in 3.x, which the comic is based on. Thunt can house rule it, of course, but deities have nothing to do with paladinhood in the core rules.
You'd think this has been mentioned enough for people to understand this by now :lol:

Domination would excuse actions, I'm not sure if a charm spell would. If Kore does what he does because he is compelled to, the way he does it suggests he's charmed, not dominated.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

hector212121
Remains Silent

Post by hector212121 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:06 pm

Bah, too used to Pathfinder.

In any case, I think it's more likely to be a Geas--No saving throws, no HD limit, and 'The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.'

Since, given infinite time, THEORETICALLY Kore could obliterate all evil(in mortals? Since I'd assume demons wouldn't issue a order to obliterate all evil), especially if he killed 'potential' evil as he sees it(Notice:I'm 90% sure Wisdom would have to be Kore's dumpstat for that) but since it is a open ended task that he COULD complete through his own actions...well... Kore could very easily complete it, given immortality. And seeing as we have that bonus comic to tell us that demons CAN DO THAT....

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:12 pm

WearsHats wrote: Here's a question:

The axe likely has some good bonuses against demons. But it's cracked now. Using it against this thing: Good idea or terrible idea?
Seeing as very bad things happened just because Complains touched it, I'd say terrible. It might kill the minor demon but who cares?
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:47 pm

RocketScientist wrote:That thing is freaky. :paranoia: Suddenly looking forward to Kore getting here, though.
Might not be an improvement. While I fully expect him to prioritize his targets by threat level, I suspect he's going to be completely PO'd that someone broke his ax.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Well, time to head back to Forgath's story for another year.