May 13, 2016: The Cracking of Reality

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: May 13, 2016: The Cracking of Reality

Post by Krulle » Tue May 24, 2016 2:15 am

I presume the magic of the room made everything appear as evil. To incite adventure groups attacking each self.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue May 24, 2016 9:25 am

thinkslogically wrote:I dunno, BE was on the offensive in that battle same as everyone. He certainly wasn't just defending himself.

And the detect evil was vague and only showed that some of the demons were evil. Pretty sure that could be complains or the axe-demon, or he fluffed his check.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Ears was able to tell kin was non evil, caine as evil, and goblin slayer as evil, in spite of the evilness of the axe. He should have known which demons were evil.
Anyone have quick access to the 3.5 definition of Detect Evil? Work filters are preventing me from being able to find it.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue May 24, 2016 9:59 am

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectEvil.htm
► Show Spoiler
There ya go ;)

EDIT: I was apparently wrong in my statement that non-magical evil characters below level 4 have no evil aura, it's a faint evil aura. So any theory I connected to that is immediately rendered moot :oops:
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 24, 2016 11:44 am

so all we need is for one person or thing in the party to be evil and BE would detect it. That doesn't mean EVERYONE in the group has to be evil and it could be he was just detecting the axe-demon (or complains's extra-demony self)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue May 24, 2016 12:25 pm

True. On the other hand, as long as the axe isn't an overwhelming evil presence (which would stun BE) he would be able to see if the individuals had an evil aura. Assuming the axe has an aura at least twice the level of BE, which wouldn't be a stretch given that the demon in the axe needed a hundred paladins of which only one survived the ritual. Then again, the axe might have some safeguards in place to prevent paladins from being stunned. It would be easy to take 2 rounds to use detect evil for BE outside of combat, that's only 12 seconds, which would tell him how many evil auras there are in that particular group. If he only used one round, 6 seconds, the axe would presumably be what catches his senses, but that is rather careless for a Paladin to do if he can take some more time to properly investigate what's going on.

The fact that Complains is undergoing a demonic transformation doesn't make him evil, that's not how alignments work.

So in theory it's very possible, but it would be bad "paladining" from BE's part.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue May 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Is the spell the same in 3.0? Because I'm pretty sure spells were a specific area where Thunt was using the 3.0 version. I'm not very well-versed 3.x, but IIRC, Bull's Strength was one that was different (longer duration?) in 3.0.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Guus wrote:The fact that Complains is undergoing a demonic transformation doesn't make him evil, that's not how alignments work.

So in theory it's very possible, but it would be bad "paladining" from BE's part.
OK, fair enough on Complains. I wasn't sure since I thought demons were always evil but I'm not much of a D&Der :)

The bad "paladining" from BE seems to be a bit of a theme that other people have been picking up on, which is why I was wondering if there was some creeping influence from the axe that was starting to affect his judgement (which led on to the Kore speculations and stuff).

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed May 25, 2016 2:58 am

I took some time looking it up, but it seems that the Detect Evil from 3.0 is the same in its working. But that was a good point Thinks :)
The axe messing with the situation is the most logical answer, but rulewise it's a bit wonky. There is some homebrewing going on though, so it might as well be the case. THunt is more at home in 3.0 and 3.5 than I am though, so maybe he knows of some rulings that I do not. We'll see.

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Wed May 25, 2016 7:15 am

so the most recent page was redone with blood or something oozing from the axe. i went back to see if other pages were redone at all but i dont remember well enough to know for sure.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed May 25, 2016 7:56 am

I also like how the blood oozing from the Axe is not caring about panel boundaries and simply oozes over it. It's not limited by the boundaries of this reality.

The previous pages did not show anything oozing.

A question for the English native speakers: In panel 8 of 9, Big Ears speech bubble includes "from the bottom, up." Is the comma there normal? I've always written it without comma, but that may be because I always did it wrong.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 pm

It's a style choice, but it doesn't add or detract anything from the sentence.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Thank You, Shardstorm.