30, April--What's Going On?

Discuss the comic here!
Guus
Floods your Ears

Re: 30, April--What's Going On?

Post by Guus » Tue May 03, 2016 8:24 am

That's the thing Arch, Detect Evil does not detect if someone is evil, it detects if something has an evil aura. This can be changed by a number of things (like magical items par example). If you, as a good cleric, wear an item that is incredibly evil, your aura will be drowned out and the person casting Detect Evil would discern that the place where you are standing emits an evil aura. As long as it is "overwhelming". Also, everything beneath level 5 (except for classes like clerics and paladins) doesn't emit an aura, so it's impossible to discern if they are or are not evil with the Detect Evil spell. This is actually an important balancing factor in the early levels of D&D 3.5, to prevent alignment trouble because the paladin decided to detect evil on the party rogue par example. So detect evil on all those guards and Kin shouldn't have worked. To actually be able to detect an individual's alignment takes three rounds. That is three combat rounds, mind you. So evil creatures and objects that emit an aura can be seen, localized and discerned.

However, it is very common for DM's to allow detect evil to directly see individual's alignments.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue May 03, 2016 10:26 am

Also, the comic pretty clearly doesn't always follow the actual rules of 3-3.5 (see Kore being able to talk with Hold Person in effect on him, because his helmet gets in the way).

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 pm

So... we still haven't officially seen any of the GAP say what's in this last panel, right? http://www.goblinscomic.org/03212016-2/

That's a bit strange to me as you see Minmax reach into a "hole" in the 2nd to last panel here.... http://www.goblinscomic.org/04082016-2/

Probably been discussed in some previous strip threads, but I've been waiting for one of the GAP to off on Minmax. :)

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Wed May 04, 2016 1:52 pm

That's from Minmax himself, here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/01112014/

Whenever Mixmax releases his sword, it's a hole forward in time. Whenever he picks it up, it's a hole backwards. So if he's grabbing it, we can always pick when it was from (assuming it was on screen).
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Omniscient Spork
Remains Silent

Post by Omniscient Spork » Wed May 04, 2016 3:42 pm

Personally, I'm of the mind that the axe breaking doesn't actually have anything to do with Ears. Read the wording of the story very carefully. It says that "If this vital weapon were to lay dormant, or even worse, be used for evil, it would take only thirteen passings of the moon for it to weaken to the point where the dreaded demon would break free..."

My theory? Saral Caine had the axe for way too long before Ears acquired it, so it was already weakening when he received it, to the point that even his good deeds and paladin status weren't enough to reverse what Caine put into motion. It didn't shatter because it was used to attack a 'good' character - it shattered because today, in-universe, is the thirteenth passing of the moon. Had Ears' double not broken it, something else very likely would have.

As an aside, that may also be why Kore was so insistent on acquiring the axe. He recognized what Ears hadn't yet come to understand. That, or he's just a genocidal dick.

Could be either one, really.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Thu May 05, 2016 2:26 am

Below is my(?) prediction for what will happen in the next update - (saying "my?" because its based on ideas raised in this forum)
  1. The GAP and demons will stop fighting.
  2. The GAP will walk into the next room pointed to by the demon party.
  3. It will be a very similar room, maybe with some difference (eg. maybe the water flowing in the other direction, or color difference or some such)
  4. The GAP will discuss what is going on, very confused maybe "why is the water flowing upwards?" or "why did they stop fighting?".
  5. Suddenly the hear a loud angry "^^^^^!" demon language from behind the pillars, and realise more demons are hiding there.
  6. MinMax will rush to attack, followed by the rest of them, and as they move the demons jump over the short wall and attack right back.
  7. The green one holding the uncracked Axe, and the red one without demonic feet.
  8. This will be the mirror of the fight before, eg. complains will hit the yellow demon holding the stick.
  9. As they fight, the green one will strike fumbles and a big explosion will take place... hitting the red demon with a shard of the axe and he will start transforming (ie. demon feet)
  10. Big Ears will yell to stop and explain to the GAP what is going on.
  11. They will stop fighting, and point to the door through which the entered the room.
  12. The demons will leave the room, confused, through the door the GAP points to.

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Mon May 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Arrow wrote:Below is my(?) prediction for what will happen in the next update - (saying "my?" because its based on ideas raised in this forum)
  1. The GAP and demons will stop fighting.
  2. The GAP will walk into the next room pointed to by the demon party.
  3. It will be a very similar room, maybe with some difference (eg. maybe the water flowing in the other direction, or color difference or some such)
  4. The GAP will discuss what is going on, very confused maybe "why is the water flowing upwards?" or "why did they stop fighting?".
  5. Suddenly the hear a loud angry "^^^^^!" demon language from behind the pillars, and realise more demons are hiding there.
  6. MinMax will rush to attack, followed by the rest of them, and as they move the demons jump over the short wall and attack right back.
  7. The green one holding the uncracked Axe, and the red one without demonic feet.
  8. This will be the mirror of the fight before, eg. complains will hit the yellow demon holding the stick.
  9. As they fight, the green one will strike fumbles and a big explosion will take place... hitting the red demon with a shard of the axe and he will start transforming (ie. demon feet)
  10. Big Ears will yell to stop and explain to the GAP what is going on.
  11. They will stop fighting, and point to the door through which the entered the room.
  12. The demons will leave the room, confused, through the door the GAP points to.
Probably something like this. It would take several strips to fully flesh out, but at least we should be able tell by the next one or two kinda what's going on.

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Wed May 11, 2016 7:58 am

I wonder if Kore actually has came to this dungeon before, or if a way to defeat him is to use this room to trick him into fighting himself. Though if it won't work, I'm even more sure they'll try.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue May 17, 2016 10:29 am

Shardstorm wrote:That's from Minmax himself, here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/01112014/

Whenever Mixmax releases his sword, it's a hole forward in time. Whenever he picks it up, it's a hole backwards. So if he's grabbing it, we can always pick when it was from (assuming it was on screen).
Thanks! Makes sense now. I had my time travel reversed.