Feb. 23, 2015: Poik, Kasnap... Oh Snap!

Discuss the comic here!
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Feb. 23, 2015: Poik, Kasnap... Oh Snap!

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:50 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/02232016-2/

Oh bloody hell. Him again? Now he's just being obnoxious. How the hell did he get to that area so fast?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Feb. 23, 2015: Poik, Kasnap... Oh Snap!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Kore going to the first room? Probably something with them dicking around with caution in the wind, and also sleeping for 8 hours, In spite them knowing kore was behind him. The annoying person that was talking is minmax.

redeemedviking
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by redeemedviking » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 pm

OK, no more dropping things down the shaft, guys, they won't come back any more.

This timing seems very coincidental... so much that I don't think it is a coincidence.

There needs to be a mechanism for opening the entrance to the dungeon at some point, and this golem/door well is obviously already connected magically to the entrance room. I think that opening the doors into the door well reset the dungeon entrance, allowing Kore (who maybe knew enough about the dungeon to just wait at the door) to enter, and there has been enough talking since then to allow time for Kore to solve the puzzle, and enter with the key.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:04 am

So, I see there was no reason at all to assume that Kore could enter the dungeon crawl and catch up to the GAP. How could I ever think they might be in danger. Clearly they had all the time in the world to take their nap. :wall:

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:09 am

That... is a lot of explaining. I don't mean to be critical but when I read this page, it does not come out naturally. Anywho, Kore is here. That's interesting. Wonder if we will get to see him get cross the rope room?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:35 am

It's a great way to foreshadow Kore, though. And to be honest, I'm not too concerned about the nap - I assumed he couldn't follow them in after the door slammed on him and would have to go around.

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 am

I can only imagine things turning into a nightmare for the entire group now... I mean, I find this slightly nightmarish.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:57 am

Glemp wrote:It's a great way to foreshadow Kore, though. And to be honest, I'm not too concerned about the nap - I assumed he couldn't follow them in after the door slammed on him and would have to go around.
Never ever assume you are safe when running away from enemies. They will catch you if you do.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:04 am

Morgaln wrote:So, I see there was no reason at all to assume that Kore could enter the dungeon crawl and catch up to the GAP. How could I ever think they might be in danger. Clearly they had all the time in the world to take their nap. :wall:
I guess Thunt was trying to throw you off the scent when he gave you reasons why they shouldn't worry about Kore? I mean, otherwise he would have had to post "correct, he's right there! not long now, tee-hee!" and then zoidberg away wooping about spoilers.

In hindsight, that would have been funny and I wouldn't have minded that at all.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:28 am

Shading would probably fix this, but I find it weird that there is a discrepancy between the colour of the door, which is truely "dark grey" as MM said, and the colour his chameleon armor switched to. The armor colour looks too dark, closer to black ÔÇö like how he was in the Tower Room in MoM.

Any way, looks like we're really close to see the Oblivious. The coral/reddish background has been here for a while and now the armour is dark grey too.

Plasmeus
Mutters to Themself

Post by Plasmeus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:25 am

I wonder if this Kore door is gonna make them more sore than they've ever been before.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:06 am

Not going to lie, if I was a player in this campaign and the DM described this particular scene right here, there would be chaos at the table and immediate sprinting down that new corridor. Probably one person would have the wherewithal to mention that there's no need to panic QUITE yet and try to check out the pit & golem in more detail, but everyone else would be running like hell. It wouldn't matter that the new corridor probably has more traps per square inch than anywhere else in the Thuntverse, the players would be failing their will saves all over the place.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:33 am

thinkslogically wrote:Not going to lie, if I was a player in this campaign and the DM described this particular scene right here, there would be chaos at the table and immediate sprinting down that new corridor. Probably one person would have the wherewithal to mention that there's no need to panic QUITE yet and try to check out the pit & golem in more detail, but everyone else would be running like hell. It wouldn't matter that the new corridor probably has more traps per square inch than anywhere else in the Thuntverse, the players would be failing their will saves all over the place.
I don't think Minmax and the GAP have noticed the change in the golem. There was only one open door and it inserted the grey door into that opening, so they likely can't see that anything changed.

Maya the bee
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Maya the bee

Post by Maya the bee » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 am

Hey there, is it me or is the second bubble in the third panel a bit unnecessary? I mean: pink dancing squirrels??? Is that a previous joke I've missed? And who's saying it? Of all the people in that room, I can only imagine Minmax make such weirdly specific comparison.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:46 am

Morgaln wrote:
thinkslogically wrote:Not going to lie, if I was a player in this campaign and the DM described this particular scene right here, there would be chaos at the table and immediate sprinting down that new corridor. Probably one person would have the wherewithal to mention that there's no need to panic QUITE yet and try to check out the pit & golem in more detail, but everyone else would be running like hell. It wouldn't matter that the new corridor probably has more traps per square inch than anywhere else in the Thuntverse, the players would be failing their will saves all over the place.
I don't think Minmax and the GAP have noticed the change in the golem. There was only one open door and it inserted the grey door into that opening, so they likely can't see that anything changed.

Two doors, I believe. One that Thaco, BE and Complains are at in panel 1, and the one that MM and Fumbles are at in panel 3, which is higher up the shaft. Once MM asks for the grey door, the golem moves up the shaft and inserts it in that door, leaving the first three still looking into the shaft, but perhaps too low on the golem to see the change.

Maya the bee wrote:Hey there, is it me or is the second bubble in the third panel a bit unnecessary? I mean: pink dancing squirrels??? Is that a previous joke I've missed? And who's saying it? Of all the people in that room, I can only imagine Minmax make such weirdly specific comparison.
Not a joke I recall, I think it's just there as a reminder that IMEs develop imagery beyond the color at higher levels, so when you get to the last panel and there are Kor chains, the reader isn't saying "wait, why isn't it just white?" I could see Complains saying it...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 am

Plasmeus wrote:I wonder if this Kore door is gonna make them more sore than they've ever been before.
That almost reduced me to -10 just reading that. :lol:

I actually read it as Kore already being hot on their heels / too close, or almost an attempt to "remote control" the golem since we see his chains and not the simple white color of Kore's IME.
redeemedviking wrote:There needs to be a mechanism for opening the entrance to the dungeon at some point, and this golem/door well is obviously already connected magically to the entrance room. I think that opening the doors into the door well reset the dungeon entrance, allowing Kore (who maybe knew enough about the dungeon to just wait at the door) to enter, and there has been enough talking since then to allow time for Kore to solve the puzzle, and enter with the key.
Doesn't fit, or there would have been multiple Keys of Darkness to open the Orb of Bloodlight's dungeon over time, then.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Knows little
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Knows little » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:26 pm

Great just when the gap gets a break kore shows up to ruin there fun good thing the golem gave back the axe before kore ime took over the golem :wall:

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 pm

A question some russian readers are concerned with: why did Kore talk? And what did he say?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm

If he knows how this dungeon works (high stats on lore?, already been here?,...), he might just say "hello" to open up some possibilities for himself...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:28 pm

I'd assume he cast some spell, maybe to help him navigate the dungeon or perhaps find the GAP. The way spells work in the comic, that would require him to say the name of the spell.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Most likely it was kore breathin heavily that triggered it. Because he cant breathe propper right now.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Same here. Probably with a fair amount of screaming involved.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:06 pm

No need to panic quite yet, true enough... Kore has only just said something in that first room. He's not going to show up in the next thirty seconds. (Well, unless he knows how to use that symbol to teleport to where the golem is. Can't rule that out... so yes, maybe there's a little need to panic.)

All the same, there's not much to linger for. The golem isn't going to be doing what Minmax tells it to, any more, which means they can't explore any other doors. That dark grey one is IT - their only way forward. About all they could be doing, other than going down that corridor, is trying to arrange something to delay Kore here. I don't have any ideas what they could do.

Also. The door has an hourglass on it. That's a pretty strong hint about a time limit somewhere.

Either, once they step in, they'll only have so long to get down that corridor before it crushes them... or, the door itself will only function for a limited time, and then it's gone.
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:12 pm

I wonder if Kore is in the habit of talking to himself out loud in dungeon crawls. And what would have happened if he didn't talk out loud in the first room?

I hope he gets stuck up in those ropes for a long time.

nightarix
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by nightarix » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:20 pm

another possibility is the hourglass represents the trap, i recall Thunt having shown a pair of hallways that age and regress those who enter in one of the bonus comics. perhaps this door leads to one or both of those hallways?