February 6, 2016: Is that a breeze?

Discuss the comic here!
LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

February 6, 2016: Is that a breeze?

Post by LooksClosely » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:52 pm

Last edited by RocketScientist on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding permalink

Plasmeus
Mutters to Themself

Re: February 6, 2016: Is that a breeze?

Post by Plasmeus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:21 am

I am so incredibly relieved it's not what I thought it was going to be. :D

But I am now glued to this like I haven't been glued in years. :shock:

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:02 am

I'm also relieved it's not what you thought it was going to be.

But WTF is it? :shock:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:00 am

Looks like lots of metal plate.... How does that thing want to get through doors?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:16 am

Some kind of golem that defends the 'Well of Doors'? Unless it's capable of morphing or changing it's size, it's mainly going to be a roadblock.

illocust
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by illocust » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:37 am

You know, I think the thing is friendly or at least not overtly hostile. It's trapped in a cage of doors and it's focus seems to be that a door is open not that there is an intruder. Our protagonists reaction is reasonable considering something big is lumbering down at them, but this thing could very well be the equivalent of a big dumb friendly dog that just wants out and doesn't mean any harm.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 pm

I dunno. A clenched fist at speed through the door doesn't seem overly friendly. Of course, it could be cultural. K'esliss would greet someone by eating a part of them. ;)

quixotecoyote
Remains Silent

Post by quixotecoyote » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:07 pm

The fist unclenches. The axe is dropped on the floor.

The arm zips back down the shaft with a melancholy, 'DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............"

Everyone is relieved and confused.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:04 pm

How is that arm fitting through that door?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:25 pm

Well when you shout the word door it has a magical effect which allows one to place a single arm in at any angle appear to be horizontal along with enmass object (arm). With these two magical effects the better question is how not to put your arm in such an angle. It is simply logic little duck. :P

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Well, with its arm in, it could probably open other doors. Maybe work its way to a pillar?? Or maybe it'll just punch them and flail around. :shrug:

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:35 am

Could this be the warforged person Thunt was talking about way back when? I thought he meant Bowst, but Bowst is just a fighter or something, right? And warforged are metal... things? Actually, what are warforged? I have no idea beyond the images that come up when I Google them.

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:00 am

This thing is made of stone not metal imo.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:41 am

Warforged are actually either metal, stone or made from other material that you wouldn't expect a humanoid to be made of. It could also be a combination of different materials. It could even be made of wood, although it's not "growing wood" in that case, for lack of a better term. They are built by other humanoids, and created to have their own free will.

That's what I know out the top of my head. They are basically magic robots that can experience emotion.

EDIT: Also, being built, they could be made to be huge. However, normally they'd be human sized, as they were used as soldiers in some war some long time ago in some land in some of the realms of D&D. Having a lumbering huge walking robot isn't as practical as one might think, apparently. Still, perfectly possible.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

jakesdad
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: jakesdad

Post by jakesdad » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:38 am

Xavier78 wrote:How is that arm fitting through that door?
Specifically, the door the arm came through is 90% closed. the only way the fist and arm could make it through, especially at that angle, would be if they were only inches thick. Maybe less.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:51 pm

jakesdad wrote:
Specifically, the door the arm came through is 90% closed. the only way the fist and arm could make it through, especially at that angle, would be if they were only inches thick. Maybe less.
No it isn't? Minmax closed the door he was told to close, and the big ol' arm came through the door directly behind it, which doesn't look 90% closed to me. Not wide open, sure, but not 90% closed - it's about half-closed in previous pages where we see Fumbles messing around with it and view it from above in the tunnel and so on.

I'm surprised we aren't seeing some kind of "clang" noise/movement animation/door-in-different-place-than-previous-panel-ness where the big arm bashes the door open the rest of the way though, because it should definitely have impacted it on its way through if it's corporeal and as big as it looks. I'm just being pedantic about the 90% thing. :lol:

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:05 pm

nikohl wrote:
jakesdad wrote:
No it isn't? Minmax closed the door he was told to close, and the big ol' arm came through the door directly behind it, which doesn't look 90% closed to me. Not wide open, sure, but not 90% closed - it's about half-closed in previous pages where we see Fumbles messing around with it and view it from above in the tunnel and so on.

I'm surprised we aren't seeing some kind of "clang" noise/movement animation/door-in-different-place-than-previous-panel-ness where the big arm bashes the door open the rest of the way though, because it should definitely have impacted it on its way through if it's corporeal and as big as it looks. I'm just being pedantic about the 90% thing. :lol:
No, that door is at least 50% closed, minimum. No way an arm that size could fit through that. It makes zero sense, unless the arm really is super thin it just isn't possible.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Not only that but the angle which the arm came through is impossible without doing anything to the door. Or the arm itself is messed up.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 pm

90% is exaggerated. %0 is closer to the mark, but even if its a bit more open, it makes no sense. The fist is about the same size as the door. I expect is about the same width at least. For an arm that large to come through, without bursting open the door, it would have to come at an angle and that doesn't seem to be the case.

wheatleygone
Remains Silent

Post by wheatleygone » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:30 am

quixotecoyote wrote:The fist unclenches. The axe is dropped on the floor.

The arm zips back down the shaft with a melancholy, 'DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............"

Everyone is relieved and confused.
That would be hilarious, and I would love it if that actually happened, no joke.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 am

New permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02082016/ (fully shaded)
Note: Door position in last panel has been corrected.

The transcription:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/02082016/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
unshaded image

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:15 am

Um, yeah... To the three people replying at me: That's why my whole second paragraph was there, guys. I fully agreed that the arm should've bashed the door further open assuming it's corporeal. I just said it wasn't 90% shut.

And it looks like it was an art error which has now been fixed. It did bash it open.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:16 am

And now it actually looks like the door is being bashed open by the arm exiting the door frame.

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:39 pm

It looks like the creature exited by climbing up to that one unopened door in the background, then stuck it's hand through it.

This comic is both tense and hilarious. Tense because of the monstrosity, yet hilarious because of "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR" and minmax's reaction face.

From what I can tell, the owner of the arm seems to be humanoid, with a face and whatnot. I do wonder what Thaco is seeing through that blindfold right now.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:40 pm

It definitely makes more sense with the door flung open like that.