January 24 2016: Oopsie Whoopsy

Discuss the comic here!
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

January 24 2016: Oopsie Whoopsy

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/01312016/

Uh... Ears? I think you dropped something important, there.

unshaded version: http://www.goblinscomic.org/01242016-2/
Last edited by RocketScientist on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding permalink
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

0z79
Whispers Softly

Re: January 24 2016: Oopsie Whoopsy

Post by 0z79 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Names <i>completely</i> deserves to have every bit of MM's mistrust rubbed in his nose. Bad Names!

Alarikun
Of Few Words

Post by Alarikun » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 pm

I... don't quite understand what's happening in this picture. The axe dropped, Minmax reached out... then there was a RUMBLE.

I don't think Minmax fell, as his hand is still in the last panel... so... uhh... okay? I guess the net result is they lost 1x Axe of Prissan.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:05 pm

It looks like the rumble and the "Dooor!" groan may have been a direct result of dropping the axe down the shaft. They may have woken something up and alerted it that a door is open now. Perhaps, it couldn't escape? (We still don't know if it is possible to open the doors from the inside, even if there are handles).

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Pretty mysterious! I guess it'll make sense next time?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:30 am

Imagine if the axe -broke- on impact with the ground from the fall...

Or worse, if something down there grabbed it and claimed it. Sure, only a paladin gets full power... but anyone can use an axe...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

wheatleygone
Remains Silent

Post by wheatleygone » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 am

Note to self: when attempting dangerous climbing stunt over bottomless abyss, let someone else hold my super important world-ending object.

I mean, on the one hand, it's a stupid mistake. On the other, it's exactly the kind of mistake I would make in a game of DnD when you kinda forget about certain things your character is holding when they do things.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:03 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:Or worse, if something down there grabbed it and claimed it. Sure, only a paladin gets full power... but anyone can use an axe...
Dang, since BE is not wearing his armour, we do not know if someone else claimed the axe, which would've made the armour disappear.

Who know whether the Axe broke? Then the demon is free, groans and screams "Door", to get out of the shaft.
We'll see soon enough.

The transcription:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/01242016/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:27 am

I'm still kind of confused about the D&D thing. For the most part, the story shifted a long time ago from a D&D comic to a comic that tells a story and uses D&D, even when based on D&D campaigns. I still think that using those things in every detail is not a very good idea when the story is more important than the D&D context. Dropping the huge world destroyer axe is something I would use without blinkend as a DM. Why? Because a campaign is fluid, where stupid mistakes can jolt it into action (I can perfectly see THunt getting bored and making this happen because of the party taking too long). For an actual story, where the action of the character immediately influences the fate of everyone he cares about (which should be especially important for Big Ears), this behaviour seems very out of character.

I wonder how they plan on getting the axe back.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:43 am

If they even get it back.
Remember that Big Ears was in a previous incarnation of the story meant to die in the battle of Brassmoon City.
So the Axe being part of the story might have been a temporary thing to explain how BE was able to win against Saral Caine.
The author may have seen a chance at getting rid of the overpowerful Axe.
It may even be suitable to get Kore out of the way, if he shows up again.

"Where is the Axe?"
"It fell down that shaft."
*jumps*

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:36 am

Wouldn't it be cool if the pit is endless or maybe even the space in it has a torus like shape and after some time the axe just falls from above again? It might be a cool and somewhat safe way of storing the axe away from evil.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:19 am

Fun theory, but it wouldn't work. Get an agile thief, latch on to another door, tie a net and then it becomes a matter of waiting.
And waiting isn't a problem as far as we know, this is the safest dungeon crawl room I've ever seen :P

Doesn't the demon escape as long as it's not handled by a paladin? So he cannot get rid of it, not without finding a proper proteg├® to take over the axe for him.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:27 am

:shudder: This seems like it could be... bad.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 am

Guus wrote:Doesn't the demon escape as long as it's not handled by a paladin? So he cannot get rid of it, not without finding a proper proteg├® to take over the axe for him.
It does not need to be a paladin, but good deeds should be one using the axe rather often.
Seeing how often the Axe was already laying useless in a dungeon, I am astonished the Demon is still inside...:
background story Axe of Prissan wrote:It was predicted that if this vital weapon were to lay dormant and unused or even worse, be used for evil, it would take only thirteen passings of the moon before the power of the axe would weaken to the point where the dreaded demon would break free and destroy our realm.
13 months of not having been used for good deeds....

Well, Saral even used it in a not so good way, and so far the Axe was not really able to help much, besides removing Saral Caine as helper for Dellyn Goblinslayer, thus allowing quite a few monsters to escape the prison. Which BE did not know about at that time. He only learned of the prison break once Saral was dead.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:15 am

I was somehow reminded of this when seeing the latest update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRV5raXCDkA
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:37 am

Ah, thank you Krulle, that clears up some things in my head. Still, getting rid of the axe would be a bad idea, Big Ears needs it Back, because you don't want an insanely powerful demon to break loose in a year's time.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:41 am

Krulle wrote:
Aegis J Hyena wrote:Or worse, if something down there grabbed it and claimed it. Sure, only a paladin gets full power... but anyone can use an axe...
Dang, since BE is not wearing his armour, we do not know if someone else claimed the axe, which would've made the armour disappear.
We do, actually. BE's eyes are still solid yellow - you can see here and in the following page that they changed when he claimed the Axe.

Kuzma Volkov
Remains Silent

Post by Kuzma Volkov » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Krulle wrote:
Guus wrote:Doesn't the demon escape as long as it's not handled by a paladin? So he cannot get rid of it, not without finding a proper proteg├® to take over the axe for him.
It does not need to be a paladin, but good deeds should be one using the axe rather often.
Seeing how often the Axe was already laying useless in a dungeon, I am astonished the Demon is still inside...:
background story Axe of Prissan wrote:It was predicted that if this vital weapon were to lay dormant and unused or even worse, be used for evil, it would take only thirteen passings of the moon before the power of the axe would weaken to the point where the dreaded demon would break free and destroy our realm.
13 months of not having been used for good deeds....

Well, Saral even used it in a not so good way, and so far the Axe was not really able to help much, besides removing Saral Caine as helper for Dellyn Goblinslayer, thus allowing quite a few monsters to escape the prison. Which BE did not know about at that time. He only learned of the prison break once Saral was dead.

You know... That's the funny thing about moral alignments... One persons Holy Deed is another's Vile Act...

Also.. Who "plays" Ears? Is it meant to be a person or DM's NPC? I sorta feel like it was a failed roll for the decision not to use the axes handle to open the door rather than his arms.. I mean between the blades is a non sharp area to grab after all..

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Kuzma Volkov wrote: Also.. Who "plays" Ears? Is it meant to be a person or DM's NPC? I sorta feel like it was a failed roll for the decision not to use the axes handle to open the door rather than his arms.. I mean between the blades is a non sharp area to grab after all..
That's part of the problem I have with the story. The fact that I know that these were apparently player characters and therefore all they do are actions played by people sitting around the table every now and then pretending to be something else hugely diminishes the value of the story Goblins is telling. Players are unable to fully grasp their characters most often, because D&D is a hobby, while professional storytelling is a different matter entirely. Nowadays I follow it out of curiousity how the players will progress other that what the story is trying to tell. It's a dissappointment to me, but still fun. I just wish THunt was more upfront about that earlier though, so my expectations were different.

About your remark of alignment: that's not how it works in D&D. At least, not on paper. Alignment is a cosmic force, that seperates not only people, but also gods. A good god is so because of his alignment, not because the god chose to be good. As are all monsters, and a lot of humanoids. That's because D&D is a game, and a character is meant to help the players play the game, so their alignments are set and rarely change. It's the players that can actually change alignment, although often with consequence. That's because the players are central to the game, so their development plays a key role in the story they are creating. However, a lot of things are evil in D&D because they are classified as being evil, not because they actually are deemed so. Because this is apparently just a couple of D&D campaigns thrown together what is morally right or wrong becomes irrelevant, because there is a cosmic force governing what is right and what is wrong. It's kinda stupid in the context of a story, but that's how it works.

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:58 pm

I think the Axe simply woke something up as it fell--something that is already part of the dungeon. I doubt the demon has been freed.
Kuzma Volkov wrote:You know... That's the funny thing about moral alignments... One persons Holy Deed is another's Vile Act...
But in D&D, those differences of opinion don't matter. Good and evil are objective, divine forces that shape the cosmos, rather than being a matter of philosophy and opinion.

Kuzma Volkov
Remains Silent

Post by Kuzma Volkov » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:25 pm

YardMeat wrote:I think the Axe simply woke something up as it fell--something that is already part of the dungeon. I doubt the demon has been freed.
Kuzma Volkov wrote:You know... That's the funny thing about moral alignments... One persons Holy Deed is another's Vile Act...
But in D&D, those differences of opinion don't matter. Good and evil are objective, divine forces that shape the cosmos, rather than being a matter of philosophy and opinion.
Yet, there are tons of tales from the table that have done the exact same thing...

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:32 pm

That's what I said, players divert from this rule, they fall in and out of alignment. NPC's can as well, but almost never do. Maybe one character in a campaign, but that's about it. For the stretch of the campaign fallen Paladins often already fell, or an alignment shift has a very significant impact on the story, but otherwise they'll stay the same.

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:58 pm

I have my fingers crossed for some sort of weird undead creature made from the crushed bodies of all of the adventurers that have died falling down this chasm.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:31 pm

It's Not Walter. He has been stuck in this shaft for eons because the doors don't open from the inside.

Or someone else stuck for the same reason. :wall: >:(

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Guus wrote:The fact that I know that these were apparently player characters and therefore all they do are actions played by people sitting around the table every now and then pretending to be something else hugely diminishes the value of the story Goblins is telling.
Hang on. Where did you get this "fact?" I mean, the story has roots in Thunt's old DM sessions, but that doesn't translate to "Ears has a player." He might. I hope he doesn't. But we don't have any facts either way.