December 10, 2015: Here, have a quest...

Discuss the comic here!
Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: December 10, 2015: Here, have a quest...

Post by Sessine » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:55 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:If he would read all descriptions then he should have read the axe and jade pot to know what they do since his party has said items. It would be stupid not to.
"Should have...?" Definitely. "Did...?" How many times have you, or any of us, failed to do something that we should have done? And then felt stupid later for not doing it? Don't know about you, but it happens a lot in my life.

"It would be stupid not to" doesn't mean that something that should have happened did happen. Maybe he even intended to go back and read about the axe in more detail, but then MinMax got him all exasperated with that "hammer" nonsense, and he forgot.
► Show Spoiler

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Sessine wrote:
Arch Lich Burns wrote:If he would read all descriptions then he should have read the axe and jade pot to know what they do since his party has said items. It would be stupid not to.
"Should have...?" Definitely. "Did...?" How many times have you, or any of us, failed to do something that we should have done? And then felt stupid later for not doing it? Don't know about you, but it happens a lot in my life.

"It would be stupid not to" doesn't mean that something that should have happened did happen. Maybe he even intended to go back and read about the axe in more detail, but then MinMax got him all exasperated with that "hammer" nonsense, and he forgot.
Well, since you're the one always pointing out that this is an RP and we should look at it that way: if Forgath didn't get to read the whole description, it means Herbert didn't tell the whole description to the player, and almost certainly intentionally. So Forgath's own god withheld information from him, just to make a big reveal of that information now and using it as a reason to insult the character. Make of that what you will...

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:12 pm

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:On this old page it was stated that a magical room, that had a part of its wall removed, will no longer function. Why is the Axe of Racism's magic not broken by a bite eaten?
Does our memory deceive us, or did that page originally NOT have a very obvious Not-Walter shoulder and arm in the foreground?
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Morgaln wrote:Well, since you're the one always pointing out that this is an RP and we should look at it that way: if Forgath didn't get to read the whole description, it means Herbert didn't tell the whole description to the player, and almost certainly intentionally. So Forgath's own god withheld information from him, just to make a big reveal of that information now and using it as a reason to insult the character. Make of that what you will...
Or, again, making counter-points because I can not necessarily because I disagree: Minmax's player, as the Axe's original claimant, got given the opportunity to read a copy of the Axe's full description, roleplayed really well and jumped around like a nutter going "yay +7 item +7 item" without paying attention to the rest of the text because his character can't read, and jabbed his finger all over the +7 part of the page at Forgath's player when she questioned him about it, interrupting her chance to read it in more detail for herself. Forgath's player planned to scrutinise it more closely at a later date and got distracted/forgot and missed her opportunity. :shrug:

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:29 pm

nikohl wrote:
Morgaln wrote:Well, since you're the one always pointing out that this is an RP and we should look at it that way: if Forgath didn't get to read the whole description, it means Herbert didn't tell the whole description to the player, and almost certainly intentionally. So Forgath's own god withheld information from him, just to make a big reveal of that information now and using it as a reason to insult the character. Make of that what you will...
Or, again, making counter-points because I can not necessarily because I disagree: Minmax's player, as the Axe's original claimant, got given the opportunity to read a copy of the Axe's full description, roleplayed really well and jumped around like a nutter going "yay +7 item +7 item" without paying attention to the rest of the text because his character can't read, and jabbed his finger all over the +7 part of the page at Forgath's player when she questioned him about it, interrupting her chance to read it in more detail for herself. Forgath's player planned to scrutinise it more closely at a later date and got distracted/forgot and missed her opportunity. :shrug:
That's of course possible, but to me at least, it doesn't really fit the scene where Forgath reads the description (here). Minmax is quite calm at that point and Forgath seems to scrutinize the description pretty closely.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:13 pm

I dunno, he's jabbing his finger and saying "+7" and then demanding an explanation when he's told it's not actually +7 like he thinks. I can see Forgath either missing a final sentence or missing the convenient Item Name that mentions form-shifting due to distractions, but I'm only really trying to come up with ways for Forgath to have missed the info if it was actually presented to him 'in-game.'

There are plenty of other reasons for him not to have known that don't involve "lol the DM's being a dick" - the Maze's creator/signwriter had incomplete info or withheld it for some as-yet-unknown reason, Ward's lying, Ward or the munchy-klik did something to the Axe, something else did something to the Axe, writer retconjuration, etc.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:32 pm

thesilence wrote:
SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:On this old page it was stated that a magical room, that had a part of its wall removed, will no longer function. Why is the Axe of Racism's magic not broken by a bite eaten?
Does our memory deceive us, or did that page originally NOT have a very obvious Not-Walter shoulder and arm in the foreground?
Your memory AND sight deceive you, it's clearly a foot.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Sessine wrote:
SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:Forgath didn't read the full discription, he was distracted by Minmax and by Kin rushing in with her reward.
Right -- and then, even though he said he was going to read all the descriptions carefully, he didn't go back to that one. As soon as he picked his mace, MinMax distracted him again with the argument about whether it was a hammer or a mace.

By the way... new question. The glove part of the Hammace is now fused to his hand, but what happened to the staff portion? That has his holy symbol! (Which is important, because he doesn't have another one, does he?) The last page I've been able to find it on is here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02122014/

Unless someone can spot the staff later on, it's probably still up on the bridge, along with Forgath's "This is a helmet" badge -- and Kore... (Although, by now Kore will have healed himself up and moved on to eradicate more evil, somewhere or other. He has a party of goblins to catch up with, a goblin village to destroy, and then a dwarven tribe to eradicate. Long list, busy schedule. No time to pick up after a defeated dwarf cleric. The holy symbol staff might still be there.)
Word of Thunt:
Thunt wrote:
Aelendril wrote:@Thunt_Goblins i wonder, whatever happened to the staff of the hammace?
It's still up on the bridge.
Another thing he answered via Twitter:
Thunt wrote:
Eloit_Lefebvre wrote: @Thunt_Goblins On a related note to the Hammace - has Complains abandoned his +1 sword? He's been holding something different recently.
That sword is in the room with the ceiling ropes. Kinda hard to get.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:07 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Word of Thunt:
Thunt wrote:
Aelendril wrote:@Thunt_Goblins i wonder, whatever happened to the staff of the hammace?
It's still up on the bridge.
Oh good, that settles that!

We're going to switch now to the group inside the Maw. Later on, once the action returns to Forgath, Idle, and Bowst, I want to venture some guesses as to their initial plan of action.

First, of course, before they can go anywhere, they'll have to get out of this deep chasm they're in. Perhaps they'll have to climb, or if the Kliks cooperate, perhaps they can be airlifted out. Anyway, let's say they do get out.

Ward will be pressuring them to set off in hot pursuit after the errant Klik. Who knows what direction he'll want them to go! However, Forgath ought to be able to make the case for going back to the bridge. He needs his holy symbol to function as a cleric. (And, additional story-logic reason: if he goes there, he'll be able to pick up the "This is a helmet" badge that is the last piece left of his heritage, for an "Awwwh!" moment.)

Once he's there... I expect he'll try to talk the others into opening the Dragon's Maw gate. He was hearing bits and pieces of what was going on behind him. Except maybe it hasn't re-set, and won't until the current MM/GAP party has left the dungeon. And maybe Idle, as a wizard, will be able to tell that. Anyway, there'll be some reason they won't end up being able to follow into the Maw. Why do I think that't? Because they'd only be repeating the rooms and traps we've already seen with MM/GAP.

So, say they take an overland route. Will they overtake Kore? He usually travels very fast, but... he could always have stopped to massacre more Evil.
► Show Spoiler

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:58 am

BuildsLegos wrote:
thesilence wrote:
Your memory AND sight deceive you, it's clearly a foot.
Well either way. We did not remember anything in that frame making it apparent what "You!" could possibly be; we had to look at the next page to find out. And while this could conceivably just have been an observational failure on our part, it seems unlikely. Grinnoraracen is pretty distinctive-looking; it's difficult to believe we could have overlooked him.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:02 am

Maybe, but I remember smirking at that page because I immediately recognized it. :P
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Lady Dawn
Whispers Softly

Post by Lady Dawn » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I find it a bit disturbing how Idle is so sure about the kliks being genderless.... :roll:

pseudonarne
Remains Silent

Post by pseudonarne » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:40 pm

while I agree that in english he is the default and grammatically correct pronoun and anybody who claims otherwise is spouting bullshit: the way klicks work and reproduce I'm having trouble deciding if I want to say asexual reproduction should be considered female gendered or if their specific means is more like knocking up some random animal so they're functioning most like males

pseudonarne
Remains Silent

Post by pseudonarne » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Lady Dawn wrote:I find it a bit disturbing how Idle is so sure about the kliks being genderless.... :roll:
well with their method of reproduction having been clearly explained so we know exactly how their bullshit magic cyborg healing differs from being impregnated(basically the fetus was cannibalized for parts and will never mature to fly away) its pretty clear they're a monogendered/genderless race. she was there for that infodump..presumably from ward more than first hand experience). (I mean they could still have some sort of caste system that fits gender rolls or something, or act steriotypically male/female for humans but thats not nearly the same thing
Last edited by pseudonarne on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Maybe she knows because Bowst tried it with the kliks before resorting to her... (yes, I'm combining gender and biological sex in this instance).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:52 am

pseudonarne wrote:basically the fetus was cannibalized for parts and will never mature to fly away
Not the best word choice, there. A fetus is the 8+ week old offspring of a mammal. Kliks reproduction is closer to budding than to mammalian reproduction (budding from someone else?). Calling it a fetus is like calling a newly formed coral a fetus.
Last edited by RocketScientist on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarifying, fixing tags

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:29 am

let's put oil in the fire:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:So people are accusing me of injecting pronoun ideology into the comic with Salt's him/her thing? Really?
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Salt is a girl. Yes, her species is genderless, but there's no ideological agenda here, peeps. She's just a girl. That's all it means.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I didn't mean for it to be feminist in any way. Salt is a girl, that's all I was introducing.
I see no problem in that, genderless people might still be inclined to identify as female or as male; just like some (biologically) male identify as female and vice versa.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 am

That is so awesome :lol:
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:47 am

Yeah. More or less the same as me identifying as boy, while I am adult since quite a while.
I attribute it to my playfulness.
Others might attribute it to denial. (denial of getting older...)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 am

pseudonarne wrote:while I agree that in english he is the default and grammatically correct pronoun and anybody who claims otherwise is spouting bullshit:
So are you just gonna ignore the explanation in this very thread, from an actual copy-editor, that A. it's a style choice, not a grammatical rule, and B. most current style guides discourage it?

It was the convention decades ago. Outdated conventions are not hard-and-fast grammatical rules. You might as well say capitalizing important common nouns is "grammatically correct and anybody who claims otherwise is spouting bullshit." After all, that was the convention in English writing for a while, so it must be a deeply important and unbreakable rule forever, right?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:38 am

pseudonarne wrote:I'm having trouble deciding if I want to say asexual reproduction should be considered female gendered or if their specific means is more like knocking up some random animal so they're functioning most like males
You know asexual means exactly that right? By definition it is neither a male nor female process... Besides, who's to say kliks even identify with binary genders? They could have two or nine or 863 for all we know. The only thing we do know is that at least one gender is female.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:17 am

thinkslogically wrote:
pseudonarne wrote:I'm having trouble deciding if I want to say asexual reproduction should be considered female gendered or if their specific means is more like knocking up some random animal so they're functioning most like males
You know asexual means exactly that right? By definition it is neither a male nor female process... Besides, who's to say kliks even identify with binary genders? They could have two or nine or 863 for all we know. The only thing we do know is that at least one gender is female.
Not another numbers discussion. How about infinite variety -- a spectrum of genders? Or are we going back to 38? ;)
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:24 am

Didn't realise this had been discussed before?

Anyway, yeah, your point is pretty much exactly what I was saying.

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:03 am

Krulle wrote:let's put oil in the fire:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Salt is a girl. Yes, her species is genderless.
These statements cannot both be true.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:16 am

I know. It's not that I think "he" is a default for the genderless, it's that neither gendered pronoun applies. Even if Kliks did have genders, there isn't anything about Salt that suggests the gender has been assigned by any traits other than "Thunt said so."