December 10, 2015: Here, have a quest...

Discuss the comic here!
Zwums
Of Few Words

Re: December 10, 2015: Here, have a quest...

Post by Zwums » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:33 am

I leave for a while, come back to this chapter, and the forums are having a stupid pronoun argument. Wahoo!

Back to the goblins? Pretty please?

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:46 am

I could see how an "innocent" Klik is metal-munching their way through some Forgath armor and takes a bite out of the Racist axe just because it's next - then realizes too late it was magical...
Ward may not be lying. Next we should hear Forgath say something about having to save MinMax, but maybe this side quest is the quickest way to get back out of the ravine (and level up so he can lift some curses?). Here's hoping.

Focussed on the story, not the pronouns. English changes; prejudice doesn't.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

YardMeat
Voices Opinions

Post by YardMeat » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:42 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Apart from pronowns.....this update seems....clunky. Something just feels offf, i think it is because of the suddun introduction that shapeshifting magic can warp a klik, it came out of left field along woth the axe able to change shape, seeems like a dues ex to bring plot so that they would move.
Yeah, if this actually is the beginning of a new mini-arch, it seems weird that the whole creation of an evil monster thing happened off-screen. I'm sure I'll get into these characters, but everything involving these three so far seems to be exposition.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:56 am

Wow, 3 pages more or less just from the pronoun thing! I'm actually surprised, I was expecting it from the RU community, but not here, haha.
[By the way, a funny coincidence: in russian the word "salt" has feminine gender. So it was kinda "her" already. That's probably the reason why there were no Talos-like outrage there]
Anyway, I wanted to add that all languages are evolving and steering away from the androcentric defaults, not just english.

Actually, this is what i wanted to post:

Some minor observation from the RU discussion.

On this old page it was stated that a magical room, that had a part of its wall removed, will no longer function. Why is the Axe of Racism's magic not broken by a bite eaten?

Well, on that old page Kin says that it "might" be enough to disrupt the enchantment, not that it "will", but still.
Zwums wrote:Back to the goblins? Pretty please?
It was confirmed that the next page is back to goblins, yeah

Raza
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Raza » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:21 pm

Grumpy plot-exposition click is growing on me.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:27 pm

Which one? Idle or Ward? :p

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:47 pm

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:[By the way, a funny coincidence: in russian the word "salt" has feminine gender. So it was kinda "her" already. That's probably the reason why there were no Talos-like outrage there]
"Salz" (salt in German) is of the neutral "gender" in German...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:27 pm

IIRC Salt is feminine in Spanish.

Also BB-8 told me her real name is Sheila, and that she would like you to respect her life choices.*

*This is a paraphrased Doctor Who quote. Read nothing into it beyond "RS likes Doctor Who."

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Others have commented that this quest feels a little less-than-graceful in the way it was presented, yet I can easily picture Herbert going "Ok, these two are finally making a real effort to role-play, but they are getting *bored* and Forgath's player hasn't done anything in awhile... these guys need something to do.."

I'll point out that I've never actually played myself, but have sat in on a couple games... I'm just way too self-conscious to join in, and my constant apologies get on people's nerves very quickly.. or at least, I'd assume. If I ever got over my fear of actually playing at the same table because of whatever I feel like beating myself up about. Usually, it's the fact that I'm bad with numbers (they like to jump around on me), plus thinking I'm just going to annoy and piss them off.

JustRight
Eleventy-one

Post by JustRight » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:25 am

Playing D&D opens a window to the soul. Better if done only among friends. I'd be surprised if it didn't already find a use in psychoanalysis; probably under the term 'role-playing'. I noticed positive effects on kids in the Asperger spectrum among my son's friends. It's Sara puked it. ;) Any psychiatrist types out there have enlightenment to share?
- Sam Spade

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 am

I count my fellow D&D players among my best friends. You really get to know each other through roleplay, especially if the group is roleplay heavy like ours.

I'm not a psychiatrist though ;)
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:08 am

The giant wall's magic could be disrupted because it needs to copy whatever goes into the hole, and it can't perfectly do that if less than every brick is in place. The Kinslayer might maintain the ability to levitate the blades as long as there's a vital core component; the sword parts might even be able to be shattered, there'd just be more sword parts to extend and contract.

Or maybe the Kinslayer's shapeshifting wasn't disrupted because the bite taken just isn't a shapeshifting part, as in the blade.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:15 am

my explanation (not a professional though):

the characters they chose can be how they themselves want to be. And they can play that, without being "it".
This behaviour, of actually talking to others and seeing how simple it is, slowly transfers over into RL/ the player....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Lady Dawn
Whispers Softly

Post by Lady Dawn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:00 pm

We have no idea what language "common" is because in each country the players will represent "common" with their language.
But in some languages there are no "he" and "her". However in this 'verse "common" does have "he" and "her". So this conversation cannot be accurately represented in each language.
Good luck to the translators with that....

And I agree that physical gender neutrality still leaves gender identification open to whatever the person self feels like. Who are we to judge?

JustRight
Eleventy-one

Post by JustRight » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:32 pm

By the way, now that Forgath's magical racist ax has been shifted into a longish sword, it might do better at skewering Kore at a vital part...after MinMax gets in a few strikes with Oblivious.
- Sam Spade

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Speaking of the axe, didn't forgoth read the whole description at MoM? It is a bit too far fetched to suddenly become shapeshifting magic

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:39 pm

I'm pretty sure Forgoth was scared away by our Minmax's giant wall antics.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Speaking of the axe, didn't forgath read the whole description at MoM? It is a bit too far fetched to suddenly become shapeshifting magic
That... is a very good point.

It did shift.

And yet the only thing we know to have happened to it since the MoM was a long fall from a bridge. Well, that, and being used against Kore. Was there a point in the battle when it could have acquired this ability? Or, perhaps, had it unlocked through some pre-set condition?

More likely it already had the shifiing ability, and the MoM description was incomplete.

I still find it puzzling that a world-ending threat like this would have been so casually decreed into existence, entirely offstage. Is this Herbert being sarcastic again?

...Or is Ward lying, for reasons of his own?

Edit: Wait, the Axe wasn't Forgath's MoM prize! MinMax was the one who claimed it. Forgath was arguing with MM about the +7... he may not have read the whole description very carefully, only glanced at the sentence MM was pointing at.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10032013/

So I think that's what happened. Forgath only read part of the description, that's why he didn't know.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 pm

He also said that he would read every description, and since we do not know if he read all of that one, i am leaning twoards that he did.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:He also said that he would read every description, and since we do not know if he read all of that one, i am leaning twoards that he did.
Well, yes, but he might have thought there was no need to read the descriptions for the items already picked -- the Axe and the Teapot. He only spent fifteen minutes choosing, with MinMax hassling him the whole time.

Would have been smarter for him to read both those descriptions carefully. But Forgath was focusing then on what he should choose for himself.

And MM was rushing him.

**shrug** If he did read it, and the description didn't include that major capability, then either the MoM was wrong, or the Axe acquired a new ability without being near any enchanter. It makes more sense to me to say Forgath simply didn't go back and read that one in detail.

The hypothesis I won't entertain is that Thunt tossed in this newly-discovered ability of the Axe as some hasty afterthought just because he thought it'd be cool. Some webcomic artists would do that, but in all the time I've been reading, Thunt never has, not once. It's not his style. If it's in the comic, then it's part of a long-laid plan.
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:59 am

For reference, Thunt first showed this last month on Twitter. Honestly, I was bothered by it not being mentioned in the description, but Forgath focusing on the part that contradicted MM makes sense.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:15 am

It could've been an oversight back then?
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:57 am

Forgath didn't read the full discription, he was distracted by Minmax and by Kin rushing in with her reward.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:59 am

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:Forgath didn't read the full discription, he was distracted by Minmax and by Kin rushing in with her reward.
Right -- and then, even though he said he was going to read all the descriptions carefully, he didn't go back to that one. As soon as he picked his mace, MinMax distracted him again with the argument about whether it was a hammer or a mace.

By the way... new question. The glove part of the Hammace is now fused to his hand, but what happened to the staff portion? That has his holy symbol! (Which is important, because he doesn't have another one, does he?) The last page I've been able to find it on is here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/02122014/

Unless someone can spot the staff later on, it's probably still up on the bridge, along with Forgath's "This is a helmet" badge -- and Kore... (Although, by now Kore will have healed himself up and moved on to eradicate more evil, somewhere or other. He has a party of goblins to catch up with, a goblin village to destroy, and then a dwarven tribe to eradicate. Long list, busy schedule. No time to pick up after a defeated dwarf cleric. The holy symbol staff might still be there.)
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:08 am

If he would read all descriptions then he should have read the axe and jade pot to know what they do since his party has said items. It would be stupid not to.