December 3rd, 2015: Wheel... Of... Species...!

Discuss the comic here!
SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Re: December 3rd, 2015: Wheel... Of... Species...!

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:32 am

Tofu wrote:** argh **

Just venting a little, I feel the mix/match/blend/bake approach to the characters is getting too much. Its all clever but I kinda like my characters to remain physcially kinda consistent and this page feels more like a 'supreme pizza' of species all melted together than a classic margarita.
Characters are consistent, though. It's just a flashback for how they came to be what they are right now. Well, she, Idle.

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:24 pm

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:
Tofu wrote:** argh **

Just venting a little, I feel the mix/match/blend/bake approach to the characters is getting too much. Its all clever but I kinda like my characters to remain physcially kinda consistent and this page feels more like a 'supreme pizza' of species all melted together than a classic margarita.
Characters are consistent, though. It's just a flashback for how they came to be what they are right now. Well, she, Idle.
He was probably also referring to Forgath, who is definitely a radical divergence from his original form at this point.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:38 am

Morgaln wrote:
Sessine wrote:TL;DR - Yes, this has been info-dump-y -- for Reasons. It's over. Things are going to start moving now.
Sorry, but your whole post is full of assumptions that we have no proof for as of yet, as well as missing the point of why the info-dump is a bad thing at this point in the story.

1. We do not know if Idle and Bowst are player characters, much less Ward. Even if they are, we have no way of knowing whether they are returning players or completely new ones. It's a hypothesis that cannot be either proved or rejected at this point, but speaking about it as if it was fact is wrong.
Turns out you're right, I'm wrong. I asked last night in the live drawing session. Thunt said Idle, Bowst, and Ward are definitely NOT the three players who started out as drow. He is deliberately leaving it ambiguous whether they are even player characters at all, or NPCs.

He also said that those three players will return at some point, but when they do, there won't be any doubt about who they are.

There were indeed Reasons for the infodump, but all he said on that score was that we needed to know this before the story could move forward to more exciting bits that would be more fun to draw, and to read.

...so.

A pity. It was such a beautiful theory, that one! it fit so well. I liked it a lot. But it's dead. R.I.P.!

Thunt said that we're not going to be following Idle, Bowst, Forgath, and Ward for now, but rather, the story is going to switch to the GAP. I suppose that's what the Twitter poll was about -- I am guessing he already knew what he wanted to do, but was looking for confirmation that this would sit well with fans. Which it certainly will.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:58 am

I'm glad it's dead. I've not liked those players in the past, and if Idle and Bowst are going to be around for a while, as seems to have been implied, I'd rather not end up saddled with those jerks.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 am

Saay, here's the successor of that theory: Minmax is torn away from his player, who must roll a new one to fill the void. He even has a purple worm familiar! By extension, Idle could be from Kin's player, if she even had one.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:35 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I'm glad it's dead. I've not liked those players in the past, and if Idle and Bowst are going to be around for a while, as seems to have been implied, I'd rather not end up saddled with those jerks.
+1. Those 3 are going to need a lot of character growth before I'll want to be around them in more than short bursts.