November 26, 2015: Multicolored Forgath

Discuss the comic here!
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

November 26, 2015: Multicolored Forgath

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:25 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/11262015-2/

Well, that explains that. And he paid for it in the end, too... But demigod status? Sounds like bad monster design to me. Herbert needs to do better. You always know that those one-in-a-million rolls are guaranteed to happen.

Oh, and Forgath? That's the dwarven rune for "I Suck" :P

The fused gauntlet does suck, as does the permanent "eyepatch" (unless he -can- see out of that eye...). I think that's the lesser of the two effects it had, right? The gauntlet was more powerful when it's on the staff?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

chartinboy
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: November 26, 2015: Multicolored Forgath

Post by chartinboy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Interesting update! Is it just me, or does she have the tattoo on her thigh before Forgath gives it to her?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Well....that is a bit unnerving. :s bowst is magically forced to have sex everyday. It does not matter how much bowst likes it is still terrible. :/

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Now we know why Bowst snuggled up to her and complained about the ears being in his face....

And why she looked so "in love" at Forgath...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Dendr
Whispers Softly

Post by Dendr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Oh, I know, I know! It's Superman!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:50 pm

That... wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, from the "Winter is Coming" post.

I mean, it's still pretty problematic - Bowst is being compelled to engage in intercourse, and Idle's the only possible volunteer as a partner so her choices are pretty restricted too. Not to mention it has to happen in concurrence with the daily murdercurse, which must make the whole thing pretty damn weird.

But from the post, I was worried it might have been, uh...depicted? Or handled in less of a conversational and in-passing manner. Or that Idle wasn't as open and accepting about sex stuff and that it was a sticking point and that she -wasn't- happy to help her friend with his curse. Or that they discussed it in Bowst's presence and with him chipping in and talking about it, which could've been awkward and much weirder. This was pretty okay...for a given value of okay, bearing in mind that the subject matter is "curse that makes you have to do the frick frack", which is inherently not okay.

I hope, to be honest, that they just carry on past it now and that particular curse element is just left in the background. Poor Forgath will just have to stick his fingers in his ears and hum loudly for a while later on today, since they're stuck in the chasm together, but I don't think we need it to be featured on a page :D

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:01 pm

What?! Really? Is that REALLY necessary to the story? This sounds like Oglaf type stuff! Lemme guess, its going to be revealed that its not actually a curse, and Bowst has been lying to exploit her sexually, and then she's gonna find out and be all upset that he's betrayed her trust. Or something.

I was already not enjoying this arc, and now I think I'm done.
► Show Spoiler

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:57 pm

From the post I expected something much, much worse. Frankly, I find it hard to be really outraged by it. It's mildy offensive at best (or worst). But, so far it feels silly and pointless. I keep waiting for the story to pick up again, but alas, it does not.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:10 pm

I agree with Synch. I think all of this is a lead up to something much worse, but we have to slog through context like this before things start to really happen again. As Idle said before, "this is boring" :P For now, anyway...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:16 pm

It's interesting, what is the exact wording of the Bowst's curse.

Because, well, maybe another person isn't really required and can do what needs to be done himself... manually.

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Sleaw » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Or maybe he made it up. How would anyone be able to check if he was telling the truth without waiting around to see if he died?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:55 pm

So either he is cursed which then he is basically bein forced to have sex everyday or he is lying. Either way is terrible, trickin your friencds to have pity sex is not acceptable

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:12 pm

That looks like a Mega Gengar having some kind of epileptic seizure.

Off topic: I'm sure it has been answered but, is Idle a goblin or an elf?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Having no choice about sex is not cool. Idle having to die every day is also not cool. That's what curses are all about. (And there's no evidence that Bowst is making it up. He could be, and if he is, you can react to how it's handled then.) But, yeah, these are weird curses, and, taken together, very creepy.

I do wonder about the exact terms of the curse, and what happens if Idle permanently dies. I'm hoping Forgath or someone (the kliks? Someone new?) isn't forced to make the choice.

We'll see where it goes and why Thunt felt it was necessary.

Meantime, we officially know more about Junior. That's interesting. (Thunt talked about all that on the livestream when drawing Junior's encounter card. Turns out he'll be getting an official name, too, in some later page.)
LarsenSan wrote: Off topic: I'm sure it has been answered but, is Idle a goblin or an elf?
It has not been officially stated, but she looks kind of like the elves the GAP encountered way back on the road to Brassmoon. She said on the last page that the ink she's using for the tattoos (and, by implication, the tradition of having the tattoos) is elven. I'm pretty sure she's an elf, or at least part elf.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:34 pm

I don't see the "controversy" here that Hunt was expecting. As far as curses go, this is like something a little Kid would come up with. Neither are creative, or even that interesting to be honest (The Klik thing as well). I'm assuming it's a setup up for Bowst to get stuck somewhere with Forgath or Minmax for 24 hours. :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Yea but with the dying one you can at least abuse that curse for your benifit. And it doesnt change the fact that the author of the comic made them had those specific curses in the first place which makes it even creepier in my opinion

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:17 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:I distinctly recall Thunt made this clear on livechat. Whenever Dies went "psycho", that was clearly Junior taking control; he acts psychopathic for the same reason people might: a corrupt soul. Klik was forbidden from using the "baby as permanent bodypart" technique because he's unskilled; this is implied in how Junior's positive is blood, and we've seen the grusome fallout of that feature. To contrast, Forgath's implants each share the positives of their parents, so there's no risk of becoming polymorphus vampires.
Called it. Although the last part is still just speculation based on the matching patterns.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Ozymandias
Remains Silent

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm with Synch. I'm rather disappointed at this turn of events.

FailsWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FailsWildly » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Well, curses aren't meant to be fun. I mean, maybe Bowst is fine with the whole thing too, so maybe it is fun for them both lol it certainly is an interesting curse. I'd like to think these curses have meaning behind them.

Perhaps Bowst cheated on his lover and his punishment is to have sex every day or die? Or maybe he raped somebody and likewise now sex is his punishment. Idle perhaps killed many people and her curse to die daily is a reminder of that. Or that she took life for granted before?

Who knows. To say these curses are meaningless to the plot is pretty ignorant. Do you write the story? Do you know the plot and know for a fact the nature of these curses are irrelevant? Just because you don't like the nature of the curse, doesn't make it pointless. Reality isn't a pretty thing. People do terrible things in real life. They rape, they murder, they lie. I for one find these curses very interesting and want to know the story behind them.

And props to Thunt for putting controversial themes in his comic. Not everyone needs their hand held and their eyes covered. Bad things happen and ignoring them doesn't make them stop.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:57 pm

Thunt has a story reason for doing this. We don't know what it is.

Time enough to judge whether these two curses are justifiable, after we do know.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:22 am

As a reminder to all, Thunt gave the following announcement BEFORE the comic went up:
[color=#FF0000]Thunt[/color] wrote:I've posted the upcoming page (due Friday Nov. 27th) on my Patron page, for my Patrons to read early. The reason that I'm mentioning this here, is because a few of my Patrons have mentioned that the upcoming page will very likely get me in some hot water by offending people. The Patrons themselves have said that they're not offended, but the internet likely will be. I agree with them. Here's my plan.

I will do nothing about it.

I won't address complaints, emails, tweets or any kind of attacks/mocking, regarding this specific page. I know that there is an important story line reason for this page to be the way it is, but the internet folks don't know that. So they'll be mad (probably). Whatever offense or anger this page may cause in some people, simply won't involve me. I won't take part, for my own mental well being. As we know, I'm... well I'm wound a little tight.

I respect people's opinions and I can understand if some people are offended. It's not my intention to offend anyone or cause controversy, I just want to tell the story that I enjoy telling. Anyone who decides not to read Goblins anymore because of this... I understand. But I won't be talking about it with anyone. Not this time. Not this page.

On the other hand, maybe no one will be offended and this post is all for nothing. :D

Thanks, folks!
You can use this as a basis for discussion and/or wild speculation, but please keep in mind, that there is a story element, which is important. So we have to wait what will happen.

Xavier78 wrote:I'm assuming it's a setup up for Bowst to get stuck somewhere with Forgath or Minmax for 24 hours. :roll:
Them we'll go back to Minmax explaining why Forgath is the right one to have sex with, as he's being played by a girl...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

MasterOpinion
Remains Silent

Post by MasterOpinion » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:54 am

A large amount of amusement is to be derived from all the people more bothered by her having sex every day(which she admits to enjoying) rather than her being killed every day(which she clearly hates). The internet sure has become warped on the subject of female sexuality.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:01 am

for fucks sake thunt is this necessary ? geez dude you getting so much heat for all the sex stuff your posting and then you go for something like this, I am seriously thinking you like being yelled at ?

I am starting to dislike the comic...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:23 am

Nasty. I found the dying curse iffy, but that makes sense in a D&D-world and has major meta-implications, so ok up to an extent. The sex curse is useless in almost all cases. Except for last minute stress because you need to have sex during a fight because you hadn't yet. And I cannot imagine that working out in any sense.

Plus: this is flat out rape for Bowst. If someone holds a gun to your head and forced you to have sex with the person you love it's still rape. No matter if you both like to have sex with each other, the consent is still missing. It's less problematic because they are both cool with it, but that "important plot point" better be very important and carefully written. Well, for me to keep reading I mean, I can't speak for anyone else, be it THunt or a random other reader.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:35 am

Hm, am I the only one pointing out that if the thing the curse requires is for Bowst to get it off, he doesn't really need a partner per se?

P.S. I don't believe Bowst could've made it up. He's very straightforward. Doesn't seem like a person who can make a convoluted plan.