November 6, 2015: You'd Be Cursing Too

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: November 6, 2015: You'd Be Cursing Too

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Well, that's pretty good. I guess you can keep it. You should really catch up with Capaldi, though. He's got a lot more personality this series than he had in the last one. Plus sonic sunglasses. 8)

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Just wanted to comment on how pretty it is with all the shading, and draw attention to the cytoplasm klik in panel 1.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Bowst's daily curse: Has to draw tattoos on a sleeping person every night.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:38 pm

:lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 pm

That means he has his choice tonight! Forgath is going to wake up with a dick on his forehead.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Bowst should totally do that anyway! :lol:

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 am

Cazzo @pimpmykidney wrote: @Thunt_Goblins Dumb question. Did Idle lose her face marks in the last 4 panels or that was unintentional?
Tarol Hunt/Stephens @Thunt_Goblins wrote: All of her tattoos are gone after her "death".

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:38 am

RocketScientist wrote:Well, that's pretty good. I guess you can keep it. You should really catch up with Capaldi, though. He's got a lot more personality this series than he had in the last one. Plus sonic sunglasses. 8)

You know, I liked Capaldi pretty much immediately, but I haven't been keeping up on the show since shortly after his introduction because the writing seemed to really deteriorate around that time. It seemed really disjointed. The banter was pretty good but the plots felt rushed and incoherent. Has that gotten any better? I'd love to be able to watch it for Capaldi.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:53 am

BlueAmaranth wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Well, that's pretty good. I guess you can keep it. You should really catch up with Capaldi, though. He's got a lot more personality this series than he had in the last one. Plus sonic sunglasses. 8)

You know, I liked Capaldi pretty much immediately, but I haven't been keeping up on the show since shortly after his introduction because the writing seemed to really deteriorate around that time. It seemed really disjointed. The banter was pretty good but the plots felt rushed and incoherent. Has that gotten any better? I'd love to be able to watch it for Capaldi.
I have this theory that each Doctor's first sereis is really good, and then afterwards the writers begin to run out of ideas. Nine's was my first and I consider it the benchmark. Eleven was just as good albeit in other ways, and Twelve's is the best so far (excluding Kill the Moon and the Forest of Night). Unfortunately, while Ten was a really good Doctor, he didn't really get a winning streak that lasted a series - the closest I can think of is Waters of Mars if you count it as a four-parter. Regrettably, I'm waiting on the DVD for his second series.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:12 pm

The tattoo thing makes no sense. They are implying this isn't her first beheading. If the tattoos go away after that, why did we ever even see them?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Xavier78 wrote:The tattoo thing makes no sense. They are implying this isn't her first beheading. If the tattoos go away after that, why did we ever even see them?
...Because the tattoos each require separate daily rituals?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:49 pm

BlueAmaranth wrote:

Yes! He's so much more interesting this series, IMO. He's started playing electric guitar, which I find super amusing. I've liked him all along, but the first series was kind of... it was like they didn't know what to do with him, other than make him different from Matt. The plots did pick up a bit further into his first series, but he's really come into his own in this one. They don't have the depressing "oh, gods, WHY??!!" Tone of a lot of Matt's episodes, which I appreciate. But if you want to cry your eyes out all the time, they're maybe not as good, I guess.
Glemp wrote:I have this theory that each Doctor's first sereis is really good, and then afterwards the writers begin to run out of ideas. Nine's was my first and I consider it the benchmark. Eleven was just as good albeit in other ways, and Twelve's is the best so far (excluding Kill the Moon and the Forest of Night). Unfortunately, while Ten was a really good Doctor, he didn't really get a winning streak that lasted a series - the closest I can think of is Waters of Mars if you count it as a four-parter. Regrettably, I'm waiting on the DVD for his second series.
Eight was my first Doctor. I don't consider his movie anything but a wasted opportunity. I love McGann, though. It could've been fantastic. Ah, well. Ten is my favorite Doctor, and Martha was my favorite companion (nobody else ever defeated The Master). But I kind of love them all, so... :shrug:

_________

On topic: I think we'll have to wait and see about the tattoos. That's not making sense to me, either. Maybe they're not actual tattoos? Or they're curse-related markings that happen in the course of the day?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Xavier78 wrote:The tattoo thing makes no sense. They are implying this isn't her first beheading. If the tattoos go away after that, why did we ever even see them?
I'm going with the assumption that they are also due to a curse, and they pop up on her skin (or have to be marked onto her skin) after a qualifying event. There's a sword on her thigh, a heart on her face, and so on; they could appear automatically when she gets into combat or successfully uses a Bluff skill or so on, which isn't an awful curse by itself...or she could have to stop and actively mark herself after doing a relevant thing to -avoid- activating the curse, e.g. sword-mark on thigh after combat OR problems ensue.

Saying they make no sense is... well, I'm not saying this to be nasty but did you fully think about that before you posted it? :p

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Maybe she's a viper clan goblin. And the daily death removes all non curse body alterations. But tattoos are a massive part of her clan identity so she painstakingly reapplies then. Or it has to do with her class, anyone know of a class that uses tattoos for magic? Wasn't there a monk prestige class in 3.5 somewhere who did that?
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

pseudonarne
Remains Silent

Post by pseudonarne » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Xavier78 wrote:WTF did I just read? I'm not trying to start anything I swear, but that? That was too much. I can't be the only one...
from the player's perspective it looks pretty close to "cursed with awesome" gm basically gave you an extra life. (just gotta get one of those poison teeth so you can respawn before midnight if restrained cause you know some plotline is going to just happen to try and fuck you with it somehow)
nikohl wrote:I assume that whatever cursed them had the good graces to tell them the conditions of the curse
since they each have one maybe just entering the dungeon had an the exposition fairy(like that noe guy kelessis killed) show up and hit them each with something? entirely separate from any "what'll this one do to me? :(" thing from the curse items and traps they found in the curse chasm crawl. (these things seem to be set up to be "fair" for a certain value of the word so they're probably not going to have an instant death curse without instructions... which is nice i guess)

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:30 pm

Maybe I'll give Capaldi another shot, starting from his most recent series. Does he still have that same companion, Clara or whatever her name was? If so, has she gotten any more interesting?

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:06 pm

nikohl wrote:
I'm going with the assumption that they are also due to a curse, and they pop up on her skin (or have to be marked onto her skin) after a qualifying event. There's a sword on her thigh, a heart on her face, and so on; they could appear automatically when she gets into combat or successfully uses a Bluff skill or so on, which isn't an awful curse by itself...or she could have to stop and actively mark herself after doing a relevant thing to -avoid- activating the curse, e.g. sword-mark on thigh after combat OR problems ensue.

Saying they make no sense is... well, I'm not saying this to be nasty but did you fully think about that before you posted it? :p
Of course I did :meh: . It still makes little sense as a "curse". A curse is a detriment to the one cursed. By it's very definition it is a terrible thing to have. I have yet to see an explanation that makes total sense as a curse.

Your first half of explanation does make a bit of sense as I have to agree that curses do have varying levels of detriment so I'm going to go with that until it's explained :P . The whole "she does them herself each day" is (no offense to who posted that) stupid. Even simple Tattoos take a while, and applying those face tattoos would burn hours, easily, considering they don't have tattoo guns.
pseudonarne wrote:
Xavier78 wrote:WTF did I just read? I'm not trying to start anything I swear, but that? That was too much. I can't be the only one...
from the player's perspective it looks pretty close to "cursed with awesome" gm basically gave you an extra life. (just gotta get one of those poison teeth so you can respawn before midnight if restrained cause you know some plotline is going to just happen to try and fuck you with it somehow)
Yeah I suppose you can look at it like that. I would have much preferred a less brutal scene (stabbed in the heart would have done it and not been so nasty), but I guess I have to deal with a bit of gore if I wanna keep reading. Honestly you would think I'd be used to it by now. Kudos. :D

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mindlink » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Xavier78 wrote: Yeah I suppose you can look at it like that. I would have much preferred a less brutal scene (stabbed in the heart would have done it and not been so nasty), but I guess I have to deal with a bit of gore if I wanna keep reading. Honestly you would think I'd be used to it by now. Kudos. :D
Hm. I personally think it would've been much more brutal to see her getting stabbed in the heart than the beheading. I can't even understand why anyone fins it gory at all. It's not realistic, and reminded me of the "head-clops" from old Don Martin comics in Mad Magazine.

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:56 pm

A heart stab would be harder to pull off and more unpleasant for Idle. I would probably have just used silhouettes or something.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:22 pm

BlueAmaranth wrote:Maybe I'll give Capaldi another shot, starting from his most recent series. Does he still have that same companion, Clara or whatever her name was? If so, has she gotten any more interesting?
Yes, he's still with Clara, though I hear she'll be leaving soon. She still doesn't have a whole lot of personality, though. She's... nice. I don't dislike her, but she's my least favorite companion since whoever that was in the movie with McGann.

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:35 am

Yeah, the only thing that was keeping me interested in Clara was her "mystery." Once that was revealed she was just bland. I wish they'd given her actress more to work with. Are they at least steering clear of forced romance with her?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:57 am

Yep. No romance between them at all, fortunately.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:43 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:
@pimpmykidney wrote:@Thunt_Goblins Dumb question. Did Idle lose her face marks in the last 4 panels or that was unintentional?
All of her tattoos are gone after her "death".
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:
@Shadowdragonia wrote:@Thunt_Goblins Are her tattoos another curse? Or is that spoiler?
It'll be explained really soon.
As the Patreons page is already up, it's likely they might know more. But they should keep their mouth tight, as tempting as it is to tell us whether the next page will reveal this.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:13 am

Krulle wrote:As the Patreons page is already up, it's likely they might know more. But they should keep their mouth tight, as tempting as it is to tell us whether the next page will reveal this.
:roll:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 am

Your avatar is fitting. :)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)