Oct 30 2015: IT'S NOT WEIRD!

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: Oct 30 2015: IT'S NOT WEIRD!

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Considering all other pillars are covered in bodyparts relating to the sense they replicate, shouldn't this one be covered in penises and vaginas? Or maybe it is a giant penis, inside a giant vagina?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:44 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Considering all other pillars are covered in bodyparts relating to the sense they replicate, shouldn't this one be covered in penises and vaginas? Or maybe it is a giant penis, inside a giant vagina?
It's a very interesting theory. But how does it cover "the favorite place you've been to"?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:22 pm

The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SpellsBedly
Of Few Words

Post by SpellsBedly » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Awesome. What a way to out a character. But seriously, I don't really think we needed that kind of perverted character. It's one thing that they exist, but to put the sicko's in a comic... I mean, come on, who the fuck likes hair?

:P o:)
(Reason for editing: fixored.)
Last edited by SpellsBedly on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:56 am

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:The pillars show images for "the last person that [looked]", [...]
Interestingly, the pillar shows nothing for our fumbling Senor Vorpal Kickass'o. (He is looking at the pillar in panel three.) - Or does the "look and I'll show what you desire" only work once? Then it might show the hunk for quite a while.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:01 am

Maybe Fumbles is asexual? It would be cool to have some canon ace representation even if it's the "childish" character.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:45 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Orange feet.
Ohhhhhhh!!!
Krulle wrote:Interestingly, the pillar shows nothing for our fumbling Senor Vorpal Kickass'o. (He is looking at the pillar in panel three.) - Or does the "look and I'll show what you desire" only work once? Then it might show the hunk for quite a while.
Maybe Fumbles is asexual? It would be cool to have some canon ace representation even if it's the "childish" character.
The eyes pillar wasn't changing to anything for people that didn't have loved ones. So there definitely is a 404 Not Found mechanic in it.

...or Fumbles could have looked into it before Minmax and the pillar won't react to him until he walks far enough away and comes back.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:48 am

SpellsBedly wrote:Awesome. What a way to out a character. But seriously, I don't really think we needed that kind of perverted character. It's one thing that they exist, but to put the sicko's in a comic... I mean, come on, who the fuck likes hear?

:P o:)
What?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:10 am

(S)He meant "hair", not "hear".

(S)He is Spells Badly after all...

Yeah, the comic is getting far too kinky.... ;)
Going to read it in the late hours from now on....

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:41 am

What the hell is everyones problem with hair huh? I mean come on, don't you like to play with, touch, brush and smell hair from time to time? Or is that just me? :paranoia: YOU CAN'T BLAME ME FOR WHAT MY BRAIN LIKES :shock:
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:24 am

Regdtosay wrote:We know, kiddo. Apparently 'clumsy' token scenes used to embarrass the author but not anymore. Good for him!
We disagree. We mourn for the prudent shame which his madness has forced him to abandon. It's better than him abandoning the comic in the grip of neurosis (we of course speak from experience there), but not much better. It's also better, even much better, to do it as a two-panel beat in an otherwise legitimate comic, rather than having an entire comic solely to announce one character's status as a member of a Protected Class Under The Terms of Title VI And Related Legislation, as Jeph Jacques did when he decided that a certain character was transsexual (apparently retroactively; it is possible he had this in mind when she was introduced, but failing to mention the fact or even drop any apparent hints suggests that it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, to which he devoted an entire page completely devoid of any other content). Granted, Questionable Content is a daily strip; one page from him is arguably equivalent to two panels from Thunt in terms of the work done and the message conveyed. But if nothing else, the separation in the archive page makes the QC strip stand out, offending our sensibilities with its lack of better reasons to exist than "clumsy tokenism".
Talos wrote:Am I the only one who is creeped out by the fact that Ear's image looks like a human with a goblin's head grafted on?
You are not the last to observe that this is questionable. We do not find it "creepy", but then our "creepy" reactions are set about 150 degrees around the dial from everyone else's, so that most of what is considered various flavors of unsettling, unpleasant, or downright intolerable to others actively appeals to us, and much of what others find "nice" or "uplifting" or "cute" sets our teeth on edge. It is nothing if not isolating to find everyone around us acting as though a hive-mind Thought Police forming under the cover of polite society is somehow less disturbing than, say, the idea of dividing people into categories of irreconcilable differences, and both physically and intellectually separating these "tribes" or "castes" or "grades of personhood" in order to prevent conflict between those in mutually incompatible classes. (Historically, such distinctions were done by accident of birth, whether due to bloodline or location or some similarly meaningless factor; that was spectacularly stupid and arguably "evil", but it is no reason to proclaim that *any* such categorization of humanity, or failure to treat all persons as exactly identical and deserving all of the same advantages and expectations, is antithetical to all that is right and good. If anything, we again say that the latter strikes us as much worse.)

In any event, we do not really buy that this is the proper physique of a well-built goblin male. While they can certainly be muscular, it seems more fitting that they should manifest either in the form of wiry tendons and corded ligaments, or else a particularly asymmetrical and awkward-looking form of hypertrophy with bulging veins and popped-out eyes. Goblins have a Strength penalty; if they end up strong anyway, they should look WEIRD as a result. Perfect symmetrical slabs of pectoral development belong on humans, dwarves, or even orcs far more than on elves, and more on them than on Goblins (save for the Aquatic Elf, the Drow, and other strength-penalty subraces, or the rare strength-bonus elf species such as the Sylvan/Wood/Copper, who don't quite look elvish when they're broad and barrel-chested rather than willowy and lithe, but are certainly closer than this).
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:02 am

thesilence wrote:
Regdtosay wrote:We know, kiddo. Apparently 'clumsy' token scenes used to embarrass the author but not anymore. Good for him!
We disagree. We mourn for the prudent shame which his madness has forced him to abandon. It's better than him abandoning the comic in the grip of neurosis (we of course speak from experience there), but not much better. It's also better, even much better, to do it as a two-panel beat in an otherwise legitimate comic, rather than having an entire comic solely to announce one character's status as a member of a Protected Class Under The Terms of Title VI And Related Legislation, as Jeph Jacques did when he decided that a certain character was transsexual (apparently retroactively; it is possible he had this in mind when she was introduced, but failing to mention the fact or even drop any apparent hints suggests that it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, to which he devoted an entire page completely devoid of any other content). Granted, Questionable Content is a daily strip; one page from him is arguably equivalent to two panels from Thunt in terms of the work done and the message conveyed. But if nothing else, the separation in the archive page makes the QC strip stand out, offending our sensibilities with its lack of better reasons to exist than "clumsy tokenism".
This is bordering on Controvery. People don't need a "reason" to exist outside of the Patriarchal default to Cis/Het Male. Please drop that aspect of the discussion or take it to the Controversy section. Thank you.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 am

BlueAmaranth wrote:Maybe Fumbles is asexual? It would be cool to have some canon ace representation even if it's the "childish" character.
Fumbles has PTSD. It's possible that he can't even think sexual thoughts without having intrusive thoughts.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

SpellsBedly
Of Few Words

Post by SpellsBedly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:29 am

Krulle wrote:(S)He meant "hair", not "hear".

(S)He is Spells Badly after all...

Yeah, the comic is getting far too kinky.... ;)
Going to read it in the late hours from now on....
My name finally pays off.

Yes, that was a pretty stupid place for a spelling error. Can I blame the spelling checker?

For Fumbles: I wouldn't have anything against the idea of him being asexual, or the PTSD explanation, but it could also just be the fact that he is pretty childish. Maybe he simply hasn't really become interested in girls yet, romantically, sexually or both. Doesn't mean it's not going to happen later. Some people get to that stage of puberty when they're 42. You can usually tell them apart from a "real" asexual if you know them very well, they aren't completely immune to sexual lust, but it can be a very low key thing. In Fumbles case, I don't think he hit any part of puberty yet. Any day now Fumbles...

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:01 pm

A guy over on the Bad Webcomics forum actually did something fun, following this comment:
Kraken wrote:Look at Panel 6. I guess Minmax is supposed to be crossing his arms, but it looks more like he's turned into a double amputee with big nipple-less boobs.
What followed was amazing.
Goat wrote:Image

Fixed
There were people expressing wanting to share this, so I figured I'd step in. What with the whole Thunt shenaniganry going on right now, I figured someone might want to share this with him.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:50 am

Wow, sometimes the guys at BWC are really fun. Well done, Goat!
(Thanks for sharing, SVM)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:29 am

That's awesome! Goat's got talent :D

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:48 am

They're still at it?
I am honestly very much impressed. Wow. Good for the BWW-guys, they stand stronger than Dutch dykes. The things that keep the water out of course.
Last edited by Guus on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:16 am

I love that edit so damn much. It fits in beautifully with the characters' reactions.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:57 am

It totally does, and not only that, it's really well done. It's not just a quick slapped-over-the-top comedy edit, it actually looks like the rest of the page. I don't know how long it took Goat to do, it may well have been a quick thing, but what I meant is that it's not just an MSPaint job for the lols - which would still have been funny, but nowhere near as impressive as this one.

I wanna see more of Goat's art. BA, have they done any other drawings that they're happy to share, do you know? I'm specifically interested in more of these Goblins riffs, but actually anything's welcome. We have a whole subforum for doodles.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:00 pm

There once was a cute drawing of Idle when she was introduced:
Bertbutt wrote:Image
if the image fan art drawing gets removed, here's a copy on tumblr: https://40.media.tumblr.com/88720152c84 ... o1_500.png[/img]

edit: scrolling through their thread... Getting slightly afraid of the aims some of their members are setting...

anyway, Goat published the "lines only" too:
anyone in need of a new avatar?

Also: a link to Goats original post, and the post that triggered this lovely edit.
The suggestion to paste it over here came from BlueAmaranth... :)
Last edited by Krulle on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:50 pm

:lol: That was funny. Thanks for sharing it, SVM.

Nice pic of Idle, as well. thanks for sharing, Krulle.

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:49 pm

I actually can't take credit for suggesting crossposting it here, Krulle--I was agreeing with someone else who suggested it first.

Nikhol, I'll definitely ask Goat if they have more Goblins art to share!

pseudonarne
Remains Silent

Post by pseudonarne » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Glemp wrote:
Regdtosay wrote:
nikohl wrote:
Uh, welcome to the forum. We've known Big Ears was gay for years. :paranoia:
We know, kiddo. Apparently 'clumsy' token scenes used to embarrass the author but not anymore. Good for him!

Eh, maybe a decade ago. Nowadays gayness is fairly mainstream, How I Met Your Mother showing a gay marriage for example.
popularity is irrelevant, I'd still be embarrassed to write one because clumsy token scenes tend to be clumsy token scenes(as a writer not because gay cooties), so the statement still works
(cough questionable content's waste of an entire page(or more) to retcon a character transexual cough)

unrelated note. i did not register just to say this, but I appear to have lost both password and my old email from last time in the move to my new desktop

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Orzahn wrote:What the hell is everyones problem with hair huh? I mean come on, don't you like to play with, touch, brush and smell hair from time to time? Or is that just me? :paranoia: YOU CAN'T BLAME ME FOR WHAT MY BRAIN LIKES :shock:
its weird if you're naturally hairless. like humans wanting to bang scales and feathers. hes basically a furry

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sunphoenix wrote:news to me.
it neve rcame up in comic but thunt announced one of his characters was gay during one of his attention whore phases ;)/:P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:23 pm

pseudonarne wrote:
Orzahn wrote:What the hell is everyones problem with hair huh? I mean come on, don't you like to play with, touch, brush and smell hair from time to time? Or is that just me? :paranoia: YOU CAN'T BLAME ME FOR WHAT MY BRAIN LIKES :shock:
its weird if you're naturally hairless. like humans wanting to bang scales and feathers. hes basically a furry
Except some goblins naturally have hair... Saves, Viper clan, etc. And it either isn't so uncommon, or is considered rude to make mention of it, but Dies never made note of Saves or the others having hair (at least where we saw). So while it seems unusual for his tribe, it isn't outside the goblin norm, probably more akin to having a thing for feet.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler