5 March 2013: What Next?!

Discuss the comic here!
boneguard
Of Few Words

5 March 2013: What Next?!

Post by boneguard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Awwww Minmax is growing into more then a 1 dimension PC.
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: 6 march update: What Next?!

Post by SamWiser » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm

So much emotion in that page. Thunt is a masterful storyteller. Amazing. Still, I must rant.

STUPID STUPID MINMAX. How could you do something so stupid. You can't read, you have a 25% chance of choosing the right key. How could you just jump down there.

Also, Minmax just said one of the sweetest things I have ever heard. :-D
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Re: 6 march update: What Next?!

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Well, I really, really like this comic for some reason. It seems so perfect, with a nice little twist of him jumping at the end. I was kind of expecting Forgath to just suggest they wait and ambush the winner. I was kind of hoping for a kiss on the forehead, but hey, whatever works. I would be careful, though, Psi-Max DID say they were to die in the Tower Room.
I am high in fructose.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Re: 5 March 2013: What Next?!

Post by TinSoldier » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:09 pm

The feels. :weep:

That is all.

Alvarin
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Alvarin__

Post by Alvarin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 pm

So the team member most likely to figure out the correct key will be the one to do it, no problem.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Well... that's one way to do it. :shock:

Also, aww. *melt*

notimportant
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: not_important

Post by notimportant » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Maybe he can grab all the keys and climb back up Kin, while Forgath blocks the mouth-closing mechanism?

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Wait, do I see character growth for tall and bald? :confetti:

Also, that is a very touching, sweet scene. THunt, you are a master and it is a joy to watch you work your magic. :D
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 pm

His inability to wink is totally going to come into play.

We do know, though, that he doesn't take the sword again until the red helmet's show up, so unless they're climbing the back of the tower, invisible, or able to teleport, he has a while before any enemies reach the top.

Guess well, Minmax!

Joe Falco
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Joe Falco

Post by Joe Falco » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Panel 13 is definitely my favorite panel of this update and one of my favorites overall now.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm

I agree. It's just... wow. And from Minmax, just wow. I think that's one of the best lines in the comic.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

lasion
Remains Silent

Post by lasion » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Been following this comic since the age of dawn..
Registered on the forums now to say: god damn Minmax, you bring all these onions to my eye! Such feels!
Seriously tho, this page is absolutely awesome. It describes the relationship between him and kin so well and his dedication to making her happy at all cost.
God damn what an awesome character he's turned out to be.

Sockmonkey
Whispers Softly

Post by Sockmonkey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Heh, the clue to which key is correct is on the underside of the celing and thus cannot be seen from the hole. Minmax will be able to see it once he lands on the tower but he can't read!
He's gonna have to describe the words or spell them out to the others or one of them will have to jump down with him.

kaylasdad99
Remains Silent

Post by kaylasdad99 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 pm

notimportant wrote:Maybe he can grab all the keys and climb back up Kin, while Forgath blocks the mouth-closing mechanism?
That mechanism actually looks quite simple. It shouldn't be particularly difficult to disable it entirely.

I'm not feeling quite so sanguine about the blue pilings and buttresses in the passageway between the mouth and the treasure room, though. Or about the speed bumps.

One thing I did notice in the strip when they first encountered the treasure room: http://www.goblinscomic.com/02192013/
On the ground in front of the doorpost with the keyhole, there's something dark in the shadow cast by that doorpost. I can't make out what it is.

Is this discussed somewhere?

bobagorof
Remains Silent

Post by bobagorof » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:52 pm

kaylasdad99 wrote:
notimportant wrote:
One thing I did notice in the strip when they first encountered the treasure room: http://www.goblinscomic.com/02192013/
On the ground in front of the doorpost with the keyhole, there's something dark in the shadow cast by that doorpost. I can't make out what it is.
It's been surmised that the key to the Treasure Room is in the lock, but invisible.

My guess is that once they get the 'key that winks' (some sort of eye) from the Tower Room, they can use it to see the invisible key at the Treasure Room and open the door.

WhichWayDidHeGo
Mutters to Themself

Post by WhichWayDidHeGo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm

It is a contender for "most romantic utterance by a fictional character".

(Still beating it by laps in the real world is General William Tecumseh Sherman. On being told that his wife had no more than hours to live, he shouted at her, "Don't go! No one there can love you as I have loved you here!" )

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm

That... was beautiful.

But yeah, if he can't read, he's in trouble.

I just hope the keys are smaller than those giant arms with the faces on them.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Super cute update... although by the end I was like "YOU BIG DUMMY!!!!!" lol.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

TripsTraps
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by TripsTraps » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm

WhichWayDidHeGo wrote: (Still beating it by laps in the real world is General William Tecumseh Sherman. On being told that his wife had no more than hours to live, he shouted at her, "Don't go! No one there can love you as I have loved you here!" )
It sounds like one of those legendary historical quotes that may not be entirely true, but a good one none-the-less. Do you have a source for it though? I did some hunting around the internet and I couldn't find anything.

Anywho, about the comic, this seemed out of character for Minmax. That's just my initial thought.
Last edited by TripsTraps on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Uh oh :shock: forgot that MinMax can't read. I thought it was gonna go all good, but, alas, unless Forgath and Kin are willing enough/dumb enough to follow, things aren't looking too good.
I am high in fructose.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Sockmonkey wrote:Heh, the clue to which key is correct is on the underside of the celing and thus cannot be seen from the hole. Minmax will be able to see it once he lands on the tower but he can't read!
He's gonna have to describe the words or spell them out to the others or one of them will have to jump down with him.
I think Minmax would most like the one that winks, after all, biting keys are mean, and thinking keys are too smart. He may grab the winking one on personal preference despite not being able to read. Assuming he knows what a wink looks like.

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Stupid badass sweetheart Minmax, why you jump down and be stupid yet make it cool and romantic!? :wall:

Only smilies can convey my thoughts and feelings.

Panel reaction.
1-6 :)
6-8 :|
9-13 :oops: Aaaw *blush*
14-15 :shock:

Overall Reaction:
Silly romantic stupid badass Minmax. :roll:
Misery enjoys company.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 pm

The only instance I can think of where romance and machismo were so well combined in a single sentence was (coincidentally uttered while descending) Han Solo's "I know".
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 pm

I literally went "Minmax, you ASSHOLE!" when I saw that last panel.

So now I figure the red helmet guys will hit the top first, Minmax draws Oblivious, and the figh...

It just hit me. What happens if Minmax CUTS THE WINKING KEY in the middle of the fight? Then -no one- can finish the maze!

ETA: Naturally, the smart thing would have been to lower Kin's tail tip to snag the keys and withdraw it FAST to dodge the mouth closing.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

tzoram
Remains Silent

Post by tzoram » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:27 pm

I registered for the forum just to say how beautifully touching I found this page.