5 March 2013: What Next?!

Discuss the comic here!
Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Re: 5 March 2013: What Next?!

Post by Orzahn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:57 am

I have to,
I will say this in the most masculine way possible.

D'AAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am

CelineSSauve wrote:You know, I am impressed that MinMax figured out that he'd "lost" time with Kin.
I think he thought over that from when Forgath ranted at the beginning of this iteration.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:13 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Y&B's prophesy indirectly confirms that Kin will survive long enough to meet Kore.
It actually does no such thing. The prophesy says something like "when the snake becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate." Something like that. But remember, kin isn't a snake, she just has a tail, and Forgath and Minmax also stop the white terror from taking over the land, and who is trying to do that? The viper clan. In an indirect way, the prophy more points to that fact that FMK (or at least Forgath) will live to find out that the GAP is innocent, and don't want to take over the world.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Mycol
Remains Silent

Post by Mycol » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm

So, Thunt, I've followed since like one of the first comics. Love it.
That being said, did Maxie just open a can of Whoop @$$ and pretty much just throw down the gauntlet? Because.... Yikes. :shock:

GriffinDWolf
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: GriffinDWolf

Post by GriffinDWolf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm

The more those two develop as characters the more I'm feeling sorry for Forgath as the third wheel. Especially since Forgath hasn't had a lot of character development, but because of the prophesy there will definitely be more time for that in the future, so I can't complain really. Still awesome feel good/dramatic page update, I can hardly wait for more.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 pm

SamWiser wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:Y&B's prophesy indirectly confirms that Kin will survive long enough to meet Kore.
It actually does no such thing. The prophesy says something like "when the snake becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate." Something like that. But remember, kin isn't a snake, she just has a tail, and Forgath and Minmax also stop the white terror from taking over the land, and who is trying to do that? The viper clan. In an indirect way, the prophy more points to that fact that FMK (or at least Forgath) will live to find out that the GAP is innocent, and don't want to take over the world.
Your point about the Vipers is a good one, but saying Kin isn't a serpent betrays her scales, lack of legs, diet, culture, and body-language. I assure you Thunt would be baffled that you think she isn't serpentine.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 pm

You got me there. I have a bad habit of completely ignoring information if it helps me make a point. I do think that the Viper clan is a better fit for the prophesy than Kin. At least I hope so. I don't want Kin to die. :(

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 pm

The prophecies are obviously meant to be ambiguous. Wouldn't be much point in them otherwise. While I can see that Kore might be killing Forgath, that information as it stands is pretty pointless. At some point the fact that Forgath knows (or thinks he knows) how he will die has to come into play.

Personally I'm hoping for something clever like "No man of woman born shall harm Macbeth" and it's spinoff "No man may defeat me," but all I can come up with so far is Forgath committing suicide...
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

SamWiser wrote:You got me there. I have a bad habit of completely ignoring information if it helps me make a point. I do think that the Viper clan is a better fit for the prophesy than Kin. At least I hope so. I don't want Kin to die. :(
The silver lining is that prey sometimes escapes.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Forgath is the one who said that a dwarf will kill him...the Fortuneteller just said he would die in battle with a dwarf. Picky, I know, but this is Thunt we're dealing with. We can pretty safely assume that every word of that prophecy, exactly as written, is a clue.

My theory is that FMK meet up with the GAP just as Kore arrives. Kore spots Kin, and attacks her. If Kore is a hero to dwarves, as I suspect he may be, then Forgath may be honor-bound to assist him. This will put him in direct conflict with Minmax, who will kill him out of love for Kin. This satisfies all the parameters of the prophecy: "in battle with another dwarf" in this context would mean "in battle beside another dwarf".

Or Junior is involved, because that guy is kind of a jerk.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:24 pm

So, I've been thinking, and I can't quite tell. Who is the main bad guy. We seem to have a few ppeople floating around, but no one main antagonist. Is Kore the main one? He hasn't seen much screen time for the big bad guy. Still, it seems like he is the only one who can fit.

Also, lies, I agree. It is a possibility. Not a good one, but one.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 pm

WastesTime wrote:Do you gals/guys think that the "inability to wink" is going to be another Chekov's Gun like the badger was?
In what sense was the badger a Chekhov's Gun?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:16 am

SamWiser wrote:So, I've been thinking, and I can't quite tell. Who is the main bad guy. We seem to have a few ppeople floating around, but no one main antagonist. Is Kore the main one? He hasn't seen much screen time for the big bad guy. Still, it seems like he is the only one who can fit.

Also, lies, I agree. It is a possibility. Not a good one, but one.
My guess is that it has something to do with the wizard that made Goblinslayer, the self-loading crossbow, the wizard who opened the portal to Klikland, and how Kore remains a paladin despite being evil.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:17 am

willpell wrote:
WastesTime wrote:Do you gals/guys think that the "inability to wink" is going to be another Chekov's Gun like the badger was?
In what sense was the badger a Chekhov's Gun?
It was named as a weak low level spell in the very beginning of the comic and then, quite recently, proved to be rather useful.

Not a real Chekov's Gun, rather sort of an insider joke as a reference to that old strip, I'd say.

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:28 am

SamWiser wrote:
"Love will fuel hate," I think that goes a long way toward justifying the prediction that Minmax will fight Kore to defend Kin. The only problem I see right away is that Kin doesn't plan on teleporting with them, she needs to carry the jade teapot to here people. It's been suggested that she will change her mind and stay with Minmax and Forgath, and after that last romantic strip, I wouldn't be surprised. They can always go back for it.

The other possibility is that we stay with Minmax EVEN LONGER, and they walk all the way to Kin's people with the teapot before teleporting to Names, which is another completely valid compromise, but doesn't seem to line up with the timeline. It would also drive me nuts.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:20 am

It's simple. They use the teapot to teleport to goblins, kin teleports home using MoM then teleports with the teapot to Minmax during the battle.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:47 am

As for the other loot in the final room, it seems likely that each of the alternate groups is after one artifact, and that's where they're kept. Also, presumably, each group has one artifact that they will "Lose" when they leave the maze, triggering the next round of adventurers to try to retrieve it.

This explains how the teapot could have gotten inside the maze and Kin's people having heard about it.

For example, our FMK group may be required to leave the Anymug behind to retrieve the teapot, while the "Ringworld" group might have to leave behind their Forgath's "Ring Finger Staff" behind to recover whatever they're after...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:It's simple. They use the teapot to teleport to goblins, kin teleports home using MoM then teleports with the teapot to Minmax during the battle.

I like that idea very much, but how does that exactly work in the MoM? Can they use the Teapot while still there or do they have to return to their reality first?

Rorrik wrote: The other possibility is that we stay with Minmax EVEN LONGER, and they walk all the way to Kin's people with the teapot before teleporting to Names, which is another completely valid compromise, but doesn't seem to line up with the timeline. It would also drive me nuts.
This would just be cruel.
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:41 am

RedwoodElf wrote:As for the other loot in the final room, it seems likely that each of the alternate groups is after one artifact, and that's where they're kept.
Just re-read the strip where Kin first explains the rules of the Maze; she said whoever wins claims ALL the prizes, and then time resets for every group except them, which presumably spawns a new set of prizes.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:56 am

willpell wrote:
RedwoodElf wrote:As for the other loot in the final room, it seems likely that each of the alternate groups is after one artifact, and that's where they're kept.
Just re-read the strip where Kin first explains the rules of the Maze; she said whoever wins claims ALL the prizes, and then time resets for every group except them, which presumably spawns a new set of prizes.

The loot has to be the same though, or else how would you explain the reappearance of the Jade Teapot? Plus, did Kin mention that it was "lost" in the Maze? I do not remember, can someone correct me ?

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02 pm

WastesTime wrote:The loot has to be the same though, or else how would you explain the reappearance of the Jade Teapot? Plus, did Kin mention that it was "lost" in the Maze? I do not remember, can someone correct me ?
Yes she did.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm

So lets clarify everything about Maze of Many's treasures: Upon victory, the group must give up at least 1 (or 1 each) possession to have their fill of anything from the wall as long as they can carry it. When the maze resets to let a different team win, so does the treasure room so that everyone has the same chance at whatever they want, which was left there by the previous 217 teams.

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:41 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:So lets clarify everything about Maze of Many's treasures: Upon victory, the group must give up at least 1 (or 1 each) possession to have their fill of anything from the wall as long as they can carry it. When the maze resets to let a different team win, so does the treasure room so that everyone has the same chance at whatever they want, which was left there by the previous 217 teams.

Firstly: where did this idea of giving up on possessions come from? Am I missing something? I don't go to Ustream at all... did Thunt mention it or are we just guessing?

Secondly: If so, then how would you explain that the Jade Teapot is still there? You mean to tell me that it's so useless for the other countless of realities (at least 2 million since our FMK showed up) that nobody has taken it yet?

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 pm

WastesTime wrote:
Firstly: where did this idea of giving up on possessions come from? Am I missing something? I don't go to Ustream at all... did Thunt mention it or are we just guessing?
It can be extrapolated from the very fact that the Teapot is in there. It originally belonged to Kin's people, and now it is inside the maze. The only way it could have wound up in there, given the resetting nature of the dungeon, is if it had to be left behind by a previous person who entered the maze.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

boneguard
Of Few Words

Post by boneguard » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Liesmith wrote:Forgath is the one who said that a dwarf will kill him...the Fortuneteller just said he would die in battle with a dwarf. Picky, I know, but this is Thunt we're dealing with. We can pretty safely assume that every word of that prophecy, exactly as written, is a clue.

My theory is that FMK meet up with the GAP just as Kore arrives. Kore spots Kin, and attacks her. If Kore is a hero to dwarves, as I suspect he may be, then Forgath may be honor-bound to assist him. This will put him in direct conflict with Minmax, who will kill him out of love for Kin. This satisfies all the parameters of the prophecy: "in battle with another dwarf" in this context would mean "in battle beside another dwarf".

Or Junior is involved, because that guy is kind of a jerk.
Great mind think alike. I open a thread about 24 hour ago with my theory which is pretty much the same as yours..
You can keep your precious reality, I got a kingdom to save from a horde of savage orcs and then go and do this wetjob for Mr. Johnson.