March Madness

Discuss the comic here!
Wild Thyme
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Cheshyr1

March Madness

Post by Wild Thyme » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 am

Its that time of year again for the Webcomic March Madness. Hopefully, this year, it won't be as emotionally charged. Though, I'm not holding my breath when it comes to how fandoms on Facebook can be. I'm surprised they are allowing comments again this year.

Looks like I can't remove this post, so, I'll at least quote SeesAMoose from the March Madness comments regarding us not voting for Goblins:
I ask my fellow Goblins fans to honor ThuntÔÇÖs wishes and not vote for Goblins in the nomination round. If you still want to show your support for the community, one of our longtime forum regulars (LoneStarNorth) has a terrific D&D 4e comic called Will Save World for Gold that could use your support. And of course be sure to read some of the other terrific comics that are sure to appear.
In the event that Goblins remains in the contest, I ask only that all visitors to our forum try to be polite.
Best,
SeeAMoose
Last edited by Wild Thyme on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: March Madness

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:08 am

Yeaaaah, Thunt isn't participating. He asked to be removed from the contest.

That being said, guess there's nothing wrong with discussing the other comics. :)

Wild Thyme
Mutters to Themself

Post by Wild Thyme » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 am

Interesting. I saw Goblins on the list of comics. Sorry, Thunt. If you want, I can remove my post on the March Madness.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:13 am

Yeah, it appears comicmix hasn't yet complied with his request- I'm guessing they will remove him as soon as the contest actually starts, because they don't want to risk losing votes while the votes are staring to be counted? Seems like the most likely explanation.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:22 am

I'll remove it if you want since I think I can, but I don't think there's anything really bad about this. Unless Thunt would request of us not to talk about the contest in general, I think it's just fine if we have a place to discuss the other comics we like/don't like. Also, with the quote you have just pasted in your first post, it'll only serve to help alert people Thunt does not wish to join the contest. :)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:23 am

Hopefully I am not completely imagining Thunt saying that on UStream :paranoia:
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 am

SeeAMoose wrote:Hopefully I am not completely imagining Thunt saying that on UStream :paranoia:
I thought he Tweeted about it as well?

Edit: He did
Thunt tweet wrote:I've sent a request to have Goblins taken out of the March Madness contest. Please do not vote for Goblins over there.
10:43pm - 4 Mär 13
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:25 am

I think there will be some animosity from fans in response to Thunt's removal request.

Wild Thyme
Mutters to Themself

Post by Wild Thyme » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 am

If its cool to keep the post, then best to keep. I did want some warning on here, at the very least, that Goblins isn't participating so we know not to vote. As for Upstream, your guess is as good as mine. I'm up this early as a fluke. Normally, I'm awake when the sun goes down and go to sleep when the sun rises. Third shift work, yay. :zzz: I haven't seen a Thunt Upstream in aaaaaages.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 am

gamecreator wrote:I think there will be some animosity from fans in response to Thunt's removal request.
It's THunt's decision to remove himself, and after the fiasco of last year, I don't really blame him. And if his fan base is true to him (as I believe they are), they'll keep the vitriol to a minimum and vote for other comics they like as well.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Wild Thyme
Mutters to Themself

Post by Wild Thyme » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:32 am

Yeah, I don't blame him at all for bowing out. Many hugs and nommy Girl Scout cookies to Thunt. What hit the fan wasn't pretty and is likely still on the ceiling.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 am

Oh god, remember it last year? I wish we'd had this guy back then to respond with: :waitwtf:

:P

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Furthermore, I suppose if somehow Goblins still ends up in a bracket (despite removal requests), then we can solve that little problem with a single round of mass-of-Goblins-fans-voting-for-the-opponent :D

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm glad Thunt isn't going to participate. Last year was awful.

I'm not sure if they'll honor his request. Didn't Rich Burlew (Order of the Stick) try to opt out unsuccessfully last year? Or did I imagine that?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:08 pm

I think it was more of a case that he didn't specifically ask to be removed, but rather said that he had no real interest in winning- That he believed himself to be more then successful enough and that he'd rather lose and give some of the glory to comics that deserved/needed it more. I also believe something similar happened with homestuck, who "gave" the win to Gunnerkrig court. I think their fandom was torn between "helping out the other awesome comic" and "We are even better it should be us that wins!"

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Is anybody else getting "this account has been suspended" over at ComicMix? And why am I getting it? I was going to vote for LSN. :?

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Yep, I'm getting the same thing. They've also done a crappy job of implementing the donations for votes part, I donated $5 so that I could get 50 votes for WSWFG... and they never prompted me for who I wanted the votes to be for.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

LoneStarNorth
Former Mod
UStream Username: LoneStarNorth

Post by LoneStarNorth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Site's back up now. GO VOTE GUYS GO GO GO.
SeeAMoose wrote:I donated $5 so that I could get 50 votes for WSWFG.
Awesome, thanks!
SeeAMoose wrote:... and they never prompted me for who I wanted the votes to be for.
Someone in the comments (other than you) had this problem and was told to check his email. I don't know if it automatically sends you an email or if someone had to do it manually to correct an error, but maybe you should look at your junk folder just in case.

Alecat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Alecat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Most Paypal pages require you to stay in the page that you paid with and then have a hook page that you land on once you've gone through Paypal. If you close the tab/window before Paypal's all done with you, the payment authorisation never gets picked up by the site you've paid. The same can happen with connectivity issues. I've made this mistake before! This is assuming the website does have that all automated - it may be that it is actually all a manual process (ick).

Regardless, they should be able to verify that you've paid, and you can allocate your votes accordingly :)

I wonder how the paid votes are going to affect all this. Seems well-intentioned (yay charity and all that) but like it could be really borked if they continue it through the single-elim voting.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:Site's back up now. GO VOTE GUYS GO GO GO.
Done. And I didn't vote for anyone else. :)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:57 am

Yeah, there was no redirect or any instructions. Thankfully they sent me an email in response to my email and LSN has 50 more votes!

LoneStarNorth
Former Mod
UStream Username: LoneStarNorth

Post by LoneStarNorth » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Well, thanks to you guys I made it into the tournament! My first round is against the comic that got the most votes in the seeding, Ava's Demon. So I'm pretty much boned! But thanks anyway!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Hah, oh wow, speaking of terrible luck!

It got me checking out Ava's demon though. Seems pretty cool.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 pm

That doesn't seem fair. They should plan that out a little better.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Alecat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Alecat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:41 pm

I think that's what the seeding is for. In tennis tournaments and the like - you like up the best seed against the worst seed, and so on so you get best TV viewing for the finals. Pro competitors for that kind of contest will complain sourly if the 1st and 2nd best competitors meet each other early and the second place player ends up getting a 100-someth place ranking as a result. In this context it works out a little weirdly.

At the end of the day, this is just an exercise. Congratulations on getting into the tournament. Hopefully since you're matched up against someone that supposedly everyone has already read, a few voters will take time to click through to your comic.
[edit] Oh, ew. The early rounds are a big mess. No direct links to websites in the voting panels (also facebook... yeah, no thanks)