Work in Progress - New Icons/Imageset

Discuss the comic here!
Zigit
Likes to Contribute

Re: Work in Progress - New Icons/Imageset

Post by Zigit » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 am

SeeAMoose wrote: It has occurred to me that the current background texture and light green theme may not go well with new icons based more closely on things from the comic (which tend to use bolder colors). I would love to hear suggestions about appropriate background textures and images that can work with a variety of colors and other color themes that could match these new icons well.
Maybe take a page from the main site and go with a green/black/dark grey theme? IDK what you'd have to pick for the textboxes to make them readable, though. I don't really like black background white text that much, but it could work....

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am

The background could be the mossy green texture edging out to black, while the text boxes could be the gray stone. That would leave the background a neutral color that's still easy to read from.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 am

Yes, please no dark background/light text. They give me a headache.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm going to replace significantly larger portion of the theme... but I'm not going to build it entirely from scratch, so it will be easier to stick to similarly sized icons. Additionally, larger icons could mess with the layout of the rest of the forum.

LAYF. That is awesome

What I need help with right now:
  • Ideas for different background textures and colors that fit with the comic.
  • Multiple ideas for each kind of icon. I have a couple of ideas that I can't commit to yet, but it might be worth looking into different icons for each of the major groups.
  • Making icons of various sizes out of any and all distinctive comic elements. (Does not need to have text added, but the final size for the forum icons should be 40x40, and others should be close to the size of the one's they're meant to replace if possible.)
Possible Icons
  • New Topic/Post
    • Axe of Prissan
    • +1 Sword
  • Sticky Thread
    • Shield of Wonder Monster
    • Talking Wall
Etc...
TL;DR - I would rather stick to similarly sized icons.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 pm

I'll give it some thought. See if I can come up with more options. For the record, though, I believe the existing shield is a round object in the middle of a square icon. A gauntlet or other object could be made to fit in the same size square. I'll have to play around when I'm awake and at a real computer.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Do we want everything made out of images from the comic, then? Or would it work better to fit items to the existing size if we redraw some of them?

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 am

Redrawing is fine by me.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:31 am

The shield is a square icon that's 40 x 40 pixels. It's in GIF format. I'm not sure if other formats are acceptable. Or if animated GIFs are possible (though I'm guessing they're not desirable anyway).
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 am

PNG and animated gifs work as long as the animation isn't too over the top

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:39 pm

No luck yet finding a gauntlet I can use, but I did find a couple of panels with Klik. I'm not sure these quite work, but they're a start. Hand means unread posts, no hand means no unread posts?

Image Image

Also, a larger version of the no hands Klik, in case that turns out to be useful.

All 40x40, so they should be suitable. Whatcha think?

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:36 am

Whoa. Totally forgot about that topic.

You're looking for a gauntlet? Why not use Junior (how he looked when he was still attached) as "gauntlet", he got mistaken for one in the comics? "Normal" means no new posts, spikes,/blades means new posts. :idea:

like this one (normal): Image and this (spiked): Image
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Nice! So... keep em coming? I have an idea that is going to require a variety of different icons.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:52 am

I might look for other stuff to use in the comic archives (and give it a spin if editing is needed).

But can you please put all the pictures that we already have seen in this thread and all the ideas/wishes, too, into your first post for facility of inspection?
That way I (and anyone else interested in contributing) don't have to waste any time skimming through the thread for A) what icons have been done already and B) what people want and/or what ideas I could use and/or what specifications you prefer.

Oh, and it would be really nice, if you could reply to my last PM to you.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler