Kliks Info

Discuss the comic here!
Thunt
Draws Goblins

Kliks Info

Post by Thunt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:11 am

I'm posting bits of klik info on Twitter, etc. I figured I may as well post it here, instead of ripping off the forum regulars. :roll:

I've known for years, that when I got to this point in the story, most of the info on the klik species would just be given out. There's some stuff I won't go into, but really I'll explain most of the stuff about the species. As usual, no actual character stats until later on and I'm not giving specific info on any of the kliks shown recently. Just species info. :)

I know you folks all probably know this already, but let's just be thorough...

Kliks
5 types

1. Metallic
Various types of metal. This can also be certain rock-like metals as well as kliks made specifically out of rusted iron ore, etc.
2. Energy
Fire, electricity, certain forms of magical energy... even things like mechanical energy >:D
3. Organic
Organic is a very vague word to describe these guys. Various types of flesh, wood, leaf matter... could be a klik made of dense muscle, bone, insect legs, hair... there's one made of spider webbing in the big klik panel. That's an organic.
4. Temporal
These guys I'm not saying much about. ;) But they're partially made of "time". There are different types, but the basic idea is that they exist in 3 to 6 moments of time at once, thus the echoed imagery. A temporal might know what you're going to do a few seconds before you do it, because it's partly existing a few seconds in the future and is already experiencing it. I know, I know... this'd create a TON of paradoxes! Well it just so happens that temporal kliks siphon paradoxes out of time-space and convert them into energy that powers/heals them. Yes, they eat paradoxes.
5. Fluid
Water, blood (yes, this could technically be organic), oil, alcohol...

Each klik's positive and negative is something from one of the 5 types. (Our) Klik's positive was metal and negative was organic (blood). The green-klik's positive was organic (blood) and negative was energy (certain types of magical energy). Sometimes a pos or neg is very vague (like klik eating metal. ANY metal) and sometimes it's very specific. Kinda the "luck of the draw" for this species.

Each klik has certain other abilities as well. There are lots of exceptions to this, but most metallics, for instance can shape change. But there are other abilities that metallics can end up with instead. I'll go into the common and uncommon abilities of other kliks soon.

Oh, and yes. A klik can end up with its own type as its negative (ie. like if our Klik's negative was metal). It's rare. When it happens, that klik becomes something else... something dark. Something that knows only pain. o:)

Kloks
Those are the big, more complex looking guys.

This gets a little... complex. There's no way to explain it all properly here, without typing a massive wall of text and even then there'd be some- "um... what? How does that even work?" But the over simplified version is...

Kliks can choose to bond into one being. This process needs 3 kliks minimum and although there's no maximum, there are dangers with bonding too many klik into a klok. 4 is the most common number, but it's sometimes done with up to 7. After that, things can go... bad. Properties from the kliks bond together to create a unique klok. For instance, if 4 metallic kliks bonded, it'd be a totally metal klok with kick-ass metallic abilities, but nothing else. If 2 fluid kliks and 2 organic kliks bonded, you could potentially end up with something gross if the organics were flesh, but something all foresty if the organics were tree-like.

Kloks don't heal the same way kliks do (you can see scratches on the klok who caught Forgath), but they have only a fraction of a reaction to the negatives of the bonded kliks and gain neato abilities with the combined positives. So Kloks are more powerful, smarter (combined intelligence of the bonded kliks), etc. But the process completely merges the personalities into one personality. No multiple minds or anything like that. They completely and irreversibly become one, single entity.

Tics
Really little guys

Tics are very different than kliks and kloks in certain ways. They are not baby kliks and they will never evolve or become kliks. They're necessary for the species to survive. I'll explain more about them later.

Last edited by lingrem on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: lingrem added in the Klik picture.

Bayle
Remains Silent

Re: Kliks Info

Post by Bayle » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:17 am

.... SO MUCH TO PROCESS!

Love the Tics, they are adorable, can't wait to find out more. I would read an entire Klik Klok Tic (Tock??? they must exist...) Spin-off comic :)

Thanks Thunt!

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:56 am

This is all very overwhelming and fun!

P.S. you ended up writing most about the type of kliks that you opened with "These guys I'm not saying much about" :P I would actually like to know more about fluids. How are they hold together in specific shapes and not just splashing into puddles... how are all other kliks levitating, for that matter. Are all kliks levitating for that matter or can there be kliks that cannot?..

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks for the info Thunt.

So blood can be either fluid or organic?
Thunt wrote:
5. Fluid
Thunt wrote:
Each klik's positive and negative is something from one of the 5 types. (Our) Klik's positive was metal and negative was organic (blood). The green-klik's positive was organic (blood) and negative was energy (certain types of magical energy). Sometimes a pos or neg is very vague (like klik eating metal. ANY metal) and sometimes it's very specific. Kinda the "luck of the draw" for this species.

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:27 pm

kida wrote:Thanks for the info Thunt.

So blood can be either fluid or organic?
This is kinda gross but...

Liquid blood kliks are fluid.
More congealed blood kliks are organic.
Mucus kliks are organic.

I know. :paranoia: Don't ask me, I only wrote it. :shrug:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for all the info Thunt!

Are you ok with me making a Klikipedia page, like the page we have for the Maze of Many Alts?
► Show Spoiler

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:08 pm

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:This is all very overwhelming and fun!

P.S. you ended up writing most about the type of kliks that you opened with "These guys I'm not saying much about" :P I would actually like to know more about fluids. How are they hold together in specific shapes and not just splashing into puddles... how are all other kliks levitating, for that matter. Are all kliks levitating for that matter or can there be kliks that cannot?..
The general rule is that all kliks can hover. Some kliks have a harder time finding materials that they can convert into food-energy, so they conserve energy by hovering less often (as you might imagine, hovering burns a lot of calories).

Some Info On Fluid Kliks

Fluid kliks burn a LOT of energy to hold themselves together, without dripping away or evaporating due to dry air, etc (I'll get into evaporating due to heat in a bit). However, fluid kliks usually have a very easy time finding food, as a fluid's positive is commonly a fluid. For instance, a water klik often has water as a positive which is pretty damn easy to find. Thus, they can afford the cost of needing so much energy.

Fluid kliks are more easily damaged or killed than most other kliks, under the right conditions. Hit a fluid klik with a blunt weapon and not only does it do extra damage, but they have a chance of losing a part of themselves as liquid splashes out and away. And while something like a metallic klik gains a scrape or gash as a wound, a fluid klik does not. Instead, they tend to drip or splatter (similar to bleeding damage in a humanoid), losing their form until healed by a positive. However, fluids are completely immune to slashing/stabbing attacks such as swords, axes or arrows.

Every fluid klik leans toward cold or heat. This is not based on the type of liquid that the fluid klik is made of. One water klik can lean toward heat, while another water klik can lean toward cold. So what does this mean?

A fluid klik that leans toward heat does not take damage from non-magical heat. They can be heated up to boiling and even (liquid type permitting) evaporated into a gas and still function, unharmed. And yes, the fluid klik can operate with the properties of a gas until condensation naturally returns the klik back to its liquid state. However, a heat tending fluid klik can take cold damage and is automatically killed if frozen solid.

A fluid klik that leans toward cold does not take damage from non-magical cold. If they begin to freeze (reacting as the liquid they're made of, normally would under those conditions), they feel no ill effects or loss of movement or abilities. If the fluid klik is exposed to enough cold to freeze it solid, it continues to suffer no loss of movement. In frozen form, the fluid klik gains any advantages or abilities that being solid ice might provide. When the fluid klik naturally melts, it returns to its liquid form with no ill effects. The cold tending fluid klik does take heat damage and is automatically killed if boiled away or evaporated via heat.

There is no record of a fluid klik capable of leaning toward both heat and cold.

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Synch wrote:Thanks for all the info Thunt!

Are you ok with me making a Klikipedia page, like the page we have for the Maze of Many Alts?
Only if I can link to it, so other readers can check it out! XD

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:25 pm

This is some excellent information. Would they be able to sense what "our" Klik did if said Klik hadn't gotten splattered by Junior?

Would the Kliks immediately attack Junior knowing it for what it was, on sight?

Do Kloks bond the same way as Kliks do (as in Dies' exposition when they were first bonding), giving something some of its essence for a new Klok?

EDIT: Do the Temporal Kliks eat bad Wish spells? That's a perfect excuse to say "nothing happens"...

EDIT 2: I wonder what would happen if a Water Klik merged with a Water Elemental... (I'm now envisioning a water klik in the ocean... naturally invisible!)
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Are any types of Kliks/Kloks/Tics capable of talking?

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:40 am

Thunt wrote:Some Info On Fluid Kliks

Fluid kliks burn a LOT of energy to hold themselves together, without dripping away or evaporating due to dry air, etc (I'll get into evaporating due to heat in a bit). However, fluid kliks usually have a very easy time finding food, as a fluid's positive is commonly a fluid. For instance, a water klik often has water as a positive which is pretty damn easy to find. Thus, they can afford the cost of needing so much energy.

Fluid kliks are more easily damaged or killed than most other kliks, under the right conditions. Hit a fluid klik with a blunt weapon and not only does it do extra damage, but they have a chance of losing a part of themselves as liquid splashes out and away. And while something like a metallic klik gains a scrape or gash as a wound, a fluid klik does not. Instead, they tend to drip or splatter (similar to bleeding damage in a humanoid), losing their form until healed by a positive. However, fluids are completely immune to slashing/stabbing attacks such as swords, axes or arrows.

Every fluid klik leans toward cold or heat. This is not based on the type of liquid that the fluid klik is made of. One water klik can lean toward heat, while another water klik can lean toward cold. So what does this mean?

A fluid klik that leans toward heat does not take damage from non-magical heat. They can be heated up to boiling and even (liquid type permitting) evaporated into a gas and still function, unharmed. And yes, the fluid klik can operate with the properties of a gas until condensation naturally returns the klik back to its liquid state. However, a heat tending fluid klik can take cold damage and is automatically killed if frozen solid.

A fluid klik that leans toward cold does not take damage from non-magical cold. If they begin to freeze (reacting as the liquid they're made of, normally would under those conditions), they feel no ill effects or loss of movement or abilities. If the fluid klik is exposed to enough cold to freeze it solid, it continues to suffer no loss of movement. In frozen form, the fluid klik gains any advantages or abilities that being solid ice might provide. When the fluid klik naturally melts, it returns to its liquid form with no ill effects. The cold tending fluid klik does take heat damage and is automatically killed if boiled away or evaporated via heat.

There is no record of a fluid klik capable of leaning toward both heat and cold.
Thank you. Very interesting.

Trick question. So, let's say we have a klik made of mercury. Does he fall into rules for a liquid klik in "normal conditions" and metallic klik when below ÔêÆ38.8┬░C?

Vice versa, if we take some metallic klik and heat him up to the melting point of said metal, does he fall into the rules of fluid kliks?

TalksWithSpirits
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by TalksWithSpirits » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:58 am

Very interesting critter/species you've created, Thunt. So many possibilities and variations.

So far, a couple of my favorites from the last panel:

The "froggy" looking one, just left of center from the Klok that caught Forgath.

The "Death Star" looking one that's easing into the panel from the bottom half of the left side.

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:59 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:This is some excellent information. Would they be able to sense what "our" Klik did if said Klik hadn't gotten splattered by Junior?
I can't answer that one (spoilers).
Aegis J Hyena wrote:Would the Kliks immediately attack Junior knowing it for what it was, on sight?
Well, they can tell each others' types on sight. I can't directly answer your question, though (spoilers).
Aegis J Hyena wrote:Do Kloks bond the same way as Kliks do (as in Dies' exposition when they were first bonding), giving something some of its essence for a new Klok?
Nope. Kloks can't make more kloks. They can only be created by kliks merging together. Kloks do have abilities that kliks don't have though. They're a lot more powerful.
Aegis J Hyena wrote:EDIT: Do the Temporal Kliks eat bad Wish spells? That's a perfect excuse to say "nothing happens"...
Potentially, they could, but the moment of the wish being made would have to fall into the temporal klik's time-existence and be caught before it slipped away into the past. Also, the wish would have to be the direct cause of a time paradox, so it's pretty unlikely.
Aegis J Hyena wrote:EDIT 2: I wonder what would happen if a Water Klik merged with a Water Elemental... (I'm now envisioning a water klik in the ocean... naturally invisible!)
I admit, I have not considered the water elemental scenario. :D And yes, you called it! A fluid klik emerged in a liquid visually matching its body is invisible! :cheer:

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:01 am

SUGauthor wrote:Are any types of Kliks/Kloks/Tics capable of talking?
I can't answer that one (spoilers) ;)

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:27 am

TalksWithSpirits wrote:Very interesting critter/species you've created, Thunt. So many possibilities and variations.

So far, a couple of my favorites from the last panel:

The "froggy" looking one, just left of center from the Klok that caught Forgath.

The "Death Star" looking one that's easing into the panel from the bottom half of the left side.
The "froggy" one is an organic klik (flesh-reptilian).

The "Death Star" is a klok. :)

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:31 am

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:Thank you. Very interesting.

Trick question. So, let's say we have a klik made of mercury. Does he fall into rules for a liquid klik in "normal conditions" and metallic klik when below ÔêÆ38.8┬░C?

Vice versa, if we take some metallic klik and heat him up to the melting point of said metal, does he fall into the rules of fluid kliks?
I specifically want people to be able to create kliks that no one has thought of, with abilities, strengths and weaknesses that although logical, no one has come up with them before. You're already doing that with mercury, I see. :P

Metallic kliks don't easily melt. They're extremely resistant to heat, so the amount of heat needed to melt them would destroy them utterly.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:44 am

There's a tiny little greyish-blue klik (or tic?) in the photo, behind/right of Frogklik. What is he?

And you want us to invent our own kliks? What about a Sand-klik? Would it be similar to rocks (which could be somewhat metallic) as sand is eroded rock? Or more fully organic because it's also made up with eroded shells (and bones too yeah?). How would it function?

Also, what about a mushroom tic? I only ask because of all the mushrooms in the picture! And I really like mushrooms. It's organic, so I assume it will need to eat organic matter like normal... but would it have to only eat already-dead organic matter?
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:09 am

lingrem wrote:Also, what about a mushroom tic? I only ask because of all the mushrooms in the picture! And I really like mushrooms. It's organic, so I assume it will need to eat organic matter like normal... but would it have to only eat already-dead organic matter?
Oh, don't get Thinks started on mushroom kliks!

Would an alcohol klik get drunk? I picture it not only sneaking to the bar to finish people's drinks while they pop out to the bathroom, but also sucking on fallen apples that have started to turn and going to all sorts of extremes that would be quite sad for human behavior.

Would it be possible for there to be a hot fluid klik that is gaseous in its natural state? In other words, it never gets cold enough for it to re-condense?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:17 am

So, are Tics like Tribbles? If you feed them well, they multiply and overrun the place? :lol:

TalksWithSpirits
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by TalksWithSpirits » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 am

This is definitely one of those ideas that I, as a DM, can appreciate, and wish I had thought of. :D

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:44 am

So you want us to come up with ideas for Kliks, Thunt? You don't know the Mimic you just opened thinking it was a treasure chest...

Gimme 24 hours. I'll have a list. >:D o:) :thumbsup:
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

phantomlink959
Remains Silent

Post by phantomlink959 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:02 am

How about an organic klik made of keratin (hair/fingernails) with salt as a positive and oil as a negative?

EDIT:
Are the tocs some sort of probe used for finding new hosts? or possibly a sort of symbiote that helps them with the soul splitty thing they do to reproduce?

SUGauthor
Whispers Softly

Post by SUGauthor » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:54 pm

1) How would a Klik that has temporal as it's positive or negative interact with it's power source/weakness if it wasn't temporal itself?

2) You want us to come up with cool Kliks? Okay lets see...

An energy Klik made of Kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is it's positive so it merely has to move to gain energy, but maintaining his form requires more energy than any other type of Klik, even fluid Kliks, so they have to be in a constant state of motion to survive. Because the very nature of this Klik is to move it can push a great deal more than other Kliks, and even some Kloks, but it can't touch metal, which is it's negative (except for super light metals or metals that can otherwise be moved easily, such as Mercury or Aluminum.) One more thing, since kinetic energy can't be seen, this Klik is invisible.

A Dragon Lung oil Klik that leans towards heat with fire as it's positive. Can freely set itself on fire and take on all the properties of a fire Klik with no penalty. Unfortunately this Klik knows only pain because it's negative is water.

An organic Klik made of stomach lining, it's capable of corroding anything it touches. It's positive is actually just food, anything a creature with a stomach would normally eat, it's negative is metal as most metals are toxic to creatures with stomachs, but it has to actually eat the metal for the negative to take effect.

A Klik made of solid gold, it's positive is water, it's negative is wood. Kliks like these avoid humanoids because humanoids tend to capture them for the gold, using wooden sticks to cut off body parts then water to grow them back. This is exactly the sort of Klik you'd find in the Goblinslayer's dungeon.

I was going to make a temporal Klik too, but I'm still really confused about what they are and how they work. When I learn more about them I'll think of a cool one.
Last edited by SUGauthor on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Oh!! For my Mushroom Tic (guessing a bit here since all we know about tics is that they're meant to help the others...) they break down dead organic matter, turn it into soil, and give it to a plant-Klik! bahaha.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Unlucky-for-Some
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Unlucky-for-Some » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Thunt wrote: 5. Fluid
I am VERY excited at the prospect of a booze klik :cheer:
All hail the power of the stick!