Admin/mod issues sans PM

Discuss the comic here!
ThroughTheWell

Admin/mod issues sans PM

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm

I don't know who to PM, and we don't have 1 place where I can get the right person's attention, so THIS is that place.

I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but if my post starts running below the window, thus invoking the scrollbar, it freaks out on me. It keeps trying to bounce to the top of the post, except for just when I type a letter. For plain writing this is not so bad, unless I want to add something like bold or font size or color or spoiler after the fact to a bit of text, since as soon as I try to highlight my text it bounces to the top dragging my highlight with it, which is very anoying. It means to add any of those things I have to manualy type them in, while not being able to clearly see them due to the bouncing. My request is this, stop the bouncing and let me scroll to where I want and stay there. At least if it is something on your end that anything can be done about. Obviously, this is also an issue on Edits. I suspect the same thing will happen in long PMs too.

Edit: No, I don't see anything to grab to drag and expand the window. And yes, I'm on a computer.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: Admin/mod issues sans PM

Post by Wolfie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Are you on your phone or via the computer?

If you're on the computer, drag the bottom right of your "chat box" down. (There should be a double diagonal line). That will expand your text area.

On your phone? I don't know if that will work or not, since I haven't been on the forum via my phone yet. Should work the same way, but that is something to ask either Moose or Duke.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 pm

Could it be a browser issue? IE vs Chrome vs Firefox (or whatever is out there these days?)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:29 pm

I haven't had this problem at all.

And I've been using the various buttons.

I'm using the latest Firefox, which is... 19.0. Let me go check with Safari & Opera. I can't check Chrome, because I've never been able to run it on my PC.

edit #1: Test from Opera 12.14

edit #2: Test from Safari for Windows 5.1.7

No, sorry. I'm not having any of the issues you described. :(

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:12 pm

K, I guess it is just my browser. Thanks.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm

RocketScientist wrote:I haven't had this problem at all.

I'm using the latest Firefox, which is... 19.0. Let me go check with Safari & Opera. I can't check Chrome, because I've never been able to run it on my PC.

I should have said earlier that I have experience this too (at least, I think it is the same).

The catch is, you need LOTS of text, or at least LOTS of lines of text.

So, maybe if I make this message tall enough, when you reply you might see it...

I think that is why the OP has several lines, too.

... ah, here we go, I'm getting here on this line. Well, not completely jumping to the top, but jumping up a bunch. I suspect if I tried to move the cursor around I'd be having even worse problems. So anyway, this is IE (8, I think)?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 pm

stevedj wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:I haven't had this problem at all.

I should have said earlier that I have experience this too (at least, I think it is the same).

The catch is, you need LOTS of text, or at least LOTS of lines of text.

So, maybe if I make this message tall enough, when you reply you might see it...

I think that is why the OP has several lines, too.

... ah, here we go, I'm getting here on this line. Well, not completely jumping to the top, but jumping up a bunch. I suspect if I tried to move the cursor around I'd be having even worse problems. So anyway, this is IE (8, I think)?

Nope. Still not seeing anything weird happening. I can go check if it's doing it to me in IE. Hang on. I usually just completely forget IE exists until something forces me to use it. :oops:

edit: OK, I'm in IE now. Version 9.0.8112.16421 64-bit Still not getting any weird behavior. :( I can't think of what else could be going on that more than one of you have this happening.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 pm

At least one computer I use is IE 8.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:07 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:At least one computer I use is IE 8.
Do not use IE, it is bad for your (and your PC's) health. Seriously...

(On a more serious note, IE series have the tendency to not support anything that is frequently used in web technologies, or at least they work pretty damn different. Sometimes we do web site projects, optimizing the looks and functions to the IE browser is the biggest pain of all, because it is just ... well... crap. You do yourself a favor if you switch from IE to pretty much anything else. )
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:44 am

They began to work on support in late versions (starting from 9).

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 am

sine i don't really feel like opening a new thread for this but...
could the hidden forum be a sub forum of games again....it's practicably dead at the moment :(
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 am

TEST

TESt
test

test

test

TEST TESTYTESTTEST
TESTTESTESTTEST

Sorry, I can't seem to replicate the problem. I'll keep my eye out and see if I can figure it out... but as of right now I believe that it is an issue with your browser. Also, you can manually expand the size of your post editor by clicking the + button in the top left corner of the text editor window.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:46 am

SeeAMoose wrote:Also, you can manually expand the size of your post editor by clicking the + button in the top left corner of the text editor window.
Can you additionally set "resize" property to the text fields in quick and full reply windows? It's more obvious and handy.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:56 am

This happens to me whenever I use my phone or IE. It's not usually a problem since I use Firefox on my laptop virtually all the time, but if I'm accessing the forum at work or on the move, then it becomes tricky to handle.

And it was the same for the old forum too. And LSN's forum, actually.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Also, you can manually expand the size of your post editor by clicking the + button in the top left corner of the text editor window.
Bless you! This works and solves my problem.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 pm

I figured it could be particularly useful on phones, glad it helps.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 am

SeeAMoose wrote:I figured it could be particularly useful on phones, glad it helps.
You still haven't shared the trick of making tabs... ;)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:36 am

LooksAndSmiles wrote:You still haven't shared the trick of making tabs... ;)
Even if he'll share it, you would not be able to use it:
You cannot use certain BBCodes: ..

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 pm

As one writing rather long posts in different IE and FF versions for this forum, I can tell you I don't have any problems.
Sorry for not being helpful, but I'll go hunting the phpBB forums now. Not for this subject, but for something else....

Aha. I am not allowed to use certain BBcodes, therefore I can stop hunting for the tabs-codes. I am sure, they have not been activated.
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 am

I have a problem on a private forum I frequent which may be similar to the OP. It's a Simple Machines Forum, and when I'm typing in it on Firefox I have no problems. However my work computer only offers IE, and when I first started using it, I found that when I was typing a long wall of text in the post window, if I went past the bottom of the visible area, after each keystroke the visual area would jump back to the top (the cursor remained in place, so if I kept typing, the window would jiggle up and down so I couldn't read what I was writing). Somehow I fixed that after a while, but recently the forum broke somehow, and when it came back up, this glitch had recurred. I don't remember what the fix I made was, but it must have been fairly simple since I'm not a programmer or anything.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:05 am

willpell wrote:I have a problem on a private forum I frequent which may be similar to the OP. It's a Simple Machines Forum, and when I'm typing in it on Firefox I have no problems. However my work computer only offers IE, and when I first started using it, I found that when I was typing a long wall of text in the post window, if I went past the bottom of the visible area, after each keystroke the visual area would jump back to the top (the cursor remained in place, so if I kept typing, the window would jiggle up and down so I couldn't read what I was writing). Somehow I fixed that after a while, but recently the forum broke somehow, and when it came back up, this glitch had recurred. I don't remember what the fix I made was, but it must have been fairly simple since I'm not a programmer or anything.
This question was actually answered about 5 posts above yours.
SeeAMoose wrote:Also, you can manually expand the size of your post editor by clicking the + button in the top left corner of the text editor window.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 am

Sorry, I should have clarified - the walls of text are larger than my screen, making extending the text window to sufficient size impractical. (This is for things like a complete D&D character sheet, with copypasta from the SRD of the full text of all spells prepared, all feats known, race and class features, and equipment.)

In other news, why did a pink banner about age verification appear above the forum, and why did I have to enter a date of birth before I could view the forum at all? This just happened in the last 12 hours...
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 am

Legal reasons. COPPA regulations make it so that without parental consent we technically seen aren't allowed to have anyone underage on our forums unless with parental consent. Moose realized that might be a problem and this is trying to fix the issue. Future signups should be handled automatically by a new mod Moose has installed now.