Discuss the comic here!
brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Re: 30 July 2019 -- Big Ears' Ears

Post by brnforce » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm

redfeather wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 am
Inspired wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:16 am Step 1: Click on username
Step 2: Click "add to foe"
Step 3: Enjoy the filtered messageboard.
Yes, because the mature and responsible way to deal with your problems is to plug your virtual ears to all dissent, so that you can live forever in an echo-chamber hug-box where there's no danger of you ever learning anything, or being forced to grow and adapt to a world which doesn't revolve entirely around your selfish whims. God bless the Internet.
When a person is always negative it dampens the things some of us enjoy. I stayed away from the forum for a while because of certain posters made it unenjoyable. But keep being sanctimonious. ;P

I like to be able to discuss what is going on with the comic with people that enjoy it. I stay away from ultra cynics in the real world too.

Back to the comic, I really hope ears doesn't chop those ears off. I assumed it was because the golem was destroyed, but then I relooked and saw the struggle fitting it on.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm

redfeather wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 am Except of course that Kore has been this way for years if not centuries, so we can probably rule out a Crowning Moment of Awesome from the real Kore who's trapped inside the demon's head. Much more likely, the real Kore is the one who has been warped into something that *resembles* a demon, but is still absolutely himself. That version's more horiffic anyway, and thus makes better drama.
If we assume it is a curse, couldn't it be lifted by a cleric high level enough? Alternatively, would a cleric recognize that it is indeed a curse (wisdom check, or whatever)? Would be interesting if Fumbles or Forgath tried to remove it in a final battle... (or Big Ears paladin magics something to heal / seal / use him to portal to Hell).
Also, the state Kore's head is in I still wouldn't outrule that it's partly a possession or animate dead or something.
Although, Complains is on the way to transform into a demon too thanks to a curse, so who knows? His blood is black though while Kore's still red, so it must be something more complex than that. Also a counterpoint to my idea that if it's a possession-like state then the demons would not have asked where the paladin is when the axe broke, they likely would have known, have they?

Part of the fun in this comic is to see Elli's mind / ruleslawyering doing the work, even more so if it is with the purpose of "makes better drama", as you said. (Btw, to me personally the "Kore is so because curse" is the bland version and hoping for something more elaborate...)

I also hope that Ears won't make that "shortcut" in this fight to control the golem for some rounds, but guess we will see it pretty soon.

*Off topicing intensifies* (sorry for the meme)
► Show Spoiler
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:49 am

On-topic:
Anyone remembers the end of the hiatus in 2014?
Specifically, the page I spoilered for size reasons?
► Show Spoiler
All of those sentences are sentences which will appear in-comic after 11 September 2014 (after the hiatus).
There's one:
"Ears... Oh gods, Ears. What have you done?"
I think we're about to get that one.

Also, have fun speculating the other sentences in that page. (most of them have happened by now)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 am

► Show Spoiler
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:41 am

Generic wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:52 pm
► Show Spoiler
This, pretty much 100% (except I don't actually work in QC; I'd probably like it and be good at it, but I haven't had the chance).

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:12 am

Krulle wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:49 am On-topic:
► Show Spoiler
All of those sentences are sentences which will appear in-comic after 11 September 2014 (after the hiatus).
There's one:

Also, have fun speculating the other sentences in that page. (most of them have happened by now)
Good catch! I recognize most of them. There are two which I don't think we've seen yet. The one you mentioned and the "There's a fine line between fury and evil" one. Can anyone confirm that we haven't seen the last one I mentioned yet?

Oh... and what about that "Ears should have died in Brassmoon, but Elli changed it" thing mentioned in this topic? Haven't heard of that.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 am

http://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/01152015/ wrote:Thaco: There's a fine line between fury and evil.
Thaco: Find it.
Thaco: And never cross it again, or I'll cut you down, myself.
And the Big Ears dying Brassmoon Battle thing? I also only read it second-hand when I joined these forums.

But I don't remember the "There's nothing I wouldn't protect you from"...

jfms
Remains Silent

Post by jfms » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 am

TheSedated wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:12 am Oh... and what about that "Ears should have died in Brassmoon, but Elli changed it" thing mentioned in this topic? Haven't heard of that.
Elli tweeted about it during the Goblins 14th birthday:
https://twitter.com/EllipsisGoblins/sta ... 4264416257

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 am

Krulle wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:49 am On-topic:
► Show Spoiler
There's one:

Alright. So we'll probably go to Thaco and Complains fighting alongside the Golem, somehow get rid of Kore and go back to find Ears bleeding like crazy.
And KickAsso might join. I dunno.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 am

Generic wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 am Alright. So we'll probably go to Thaco and Complains fighting alongside the Golem, somehow get rid of Kore and go back to find Ears bleeding like crazy.
And KickAsso might join. I dunno.
So in that fight Big Ears will still be Big, just not that much Ears... 8) Sorry, I had to. :paranoia:

Would tie together with Fumbles' prophecy overload mentioned here before. (The ears will not hear.)
Still, kinda sad, but at the moment it looks like their best bet.
Generic wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 am
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:48 am

Woah... okay... can't remember seeing this. But damn... the GAP and MinMax are already in that dungeon for 4 and a half years now... time flies...

Chasm
Newcomer Adventuring Party - Teller

Post by Chasm » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:59 am

Ears is totally going to chop his ears.
Also, Kore has only one usable arm (pretty sure his right arm is broken, and he's probably out of healing magic by now, else he would likely have mended it) and one (damaged) axe, it seems to me that the goblins have a very fair chance in this fight now. But it's probably not gonna be so easy, and Ears is going to do his thing. And it's going to be dreadful.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:01 pm

It'll be interesting to see how his new tennis racquet works for self mutilation.

HiddenSanity
Remains Silent

Post by HiddenSanity » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 am

So it seems the bets are on 'Big ears removes his ears' and 'Something worse' ?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:38 am

HiddenSanity wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 am So it seems the bets are on 'Big ears removes his ears' and 'Something worse' ?
His Big?

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm

There's only two lines I don't recognize there:

What I assume is Junior with Dies:
"Hello, Father."

And what I assume is Savesafox with Dies:
"There's nothing I wouldn't protect you from, Dies."

Have either of those happened? Not going to try and place the sound effects.
► Show Spoiler
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:06 am

Nope, could not find the "There's nothing I wouldn't protect you from, Dies." line.
But then, we haven't really been with Fox and Dies in the story for quite a while.
Thunt/Ellipsis doesn't switch back and fortht hat much anymore, on request of the fans who don't want to be left hanging with cliffhangers for years.

FullmoonCat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FullmoonCat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 pm

I haven't posted in these forums in a long time, though I do lurk occasionally. What drove me away was some forumites' constant complaints and nit-picking about the story, the drawing, etc. Some of you act much more like haters than fans, and frankly it got to point were I just had to leave for my own sanity. Especially because virtually none of the points being made by these folks are valid to anyone with a fully-functional brain.

Like the last update, where some users ripped apart the artwork for not following what they thought was a perfect frame-by-frame representation of the action taking place. "The second panel should have been drawn from a slightly different angle to really make sense, blah blah blah."" Seriously? You found that confusing? You want twice the number of panels so you don't have to imagine how one pose might flow into another, or what? It's an action sequence. In a comic. It was fine.

Like this "fan" who apparently thinks so many things about this comic suck completely:
Oh? We need reasons to show things now? Like that instance where Idle got stabbed in the tummy and then nothing came of it? Or Kore having a flippy shield that is now gone forever and served no purpose? Or the switchbeast! Remember the switchbeast? It... Umh. Killed some Vipers before Biscuit would have killed them anyway?
You can see how that phrasing leaves the impression that you think this comic is so terrible that everything happens for no reason, right? Like the fact that you STATED it? And this has no merit, because each of those things did have narrative value. Maybe you should stop and consider that not seeing that value or being able to piece together the obvious is your weakness, not the comic's.

Idle getting stabbed put her in mortal danger, and she had already died that day. It was Forgath's motivation to put himself at risk despite the cost, and lead to his own infection and death. Nothing came of it?

Kore's shield was a perfect illustration of what a munchkin character he is, he has an answer for all situations. And no, that was not already established. This was part of establishing this character in the narrative, and it did not serve a purpose afterward.

The Switchbeast was a pretty minor event, but continued to flesh out Biscuit as a logical and dispassionate thinker. And it was just really cool. You didn;t think it was cool? Fine. But pointless?

This forum used to be pretty active. I am sure I am not the only one that was driven away by the constant criticism of the thing the forum is supposed to be here to celebrate.

And yes, I am shouting down your opinions. Because they are phrased in a disrespectful manner, and have poisoned the entire environment of this forum. One of the many ways Ellipsis is a stronger person than I will ever be is her ability to continue making this comic despite her ungrateful "fans."

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Well put FullmoonCat, and also not the first time we have heard similar complaints about certain members of the forum (both publicly and privately). In the near future we will be posting a set of proposed rules in the hopes of addressing this issue and hopefully making people feel like they can participate here without being talked down to or talked over (among other things). I just havent had a chance to post them because I have been traveling for work.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm

I'll be sure to read them.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm

SeeAMoose wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:02 am
redfeather wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 am
Inspired wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:16 am Step 1: Click on username
Step 2: Click "add to foe"
Step 3: Enjoy the filtered messageboard.
Yes, because the mature and responsible way to deal with your problems is to plug your virtual ears to all dissent, so that you can live forever in an echo-chamber hug-box where there's no danger of you ever learning anything, or being forced to grow and adapt to a world which doesn't revolve entirely around your selfish whims. God bless the Internet.
I mean I suppose the mod team could always just start banning people for being trolls ruining the experience of the vast majority of other users. You are aware that option is available to us, right? Because frankly the constant passive-aggressive jabs at everyday users for trying to discuss the comic, enjoy the forum or disagreeing with people are getting old fast.

As much as I adore freedom of speech and as much as I have tried to foster it in this community, we are rapidly approaching the point where we are going to start taking action against users who go out of their way to ruin the experience for other forum members by being nothing but negative and argumentative. If you have a critique of the comic, great, bring it up and discuss it politely, but stop shouting down other users. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Don't worry about freedom of speech. All it means is that the government is not allowed to persecute anyone for what they said. It does not protect people from facing other repercussions for their words (civil lawsuits for insults are a thing, after all). Since the site is not government-affiliated, you have every right to take whatever measures you see fit against any user, and none of their rights will be violated.

Oh, and I say this fully aware that I am one of the people who are near the top of the list of candidates for a ban if you ever decide to go that way.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:00 am

@EllipsisGoblins wrote:Sigh.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm slightly worried the pace of the comic will slow down with WoW Classic. I mean, I get it, but still not looking forward to it. Been on a decent cadence since Ellipsis made some life affirming decisions.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

RayRay
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RayRay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:37 am

Well, that's what I feared would happen after a few pages. A shord perion of euphoria, and then you bounce back to a low output. At least it's a way to alleviate the sadness of imminent ear loss.