Tea's Art, however sporadic.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Tea's Art, however sporadic.

Post by Tea » Thu May 15, 2014 7:21 pm

The Art of Tea, The Wonderful World of Tea...why do all my creative wordplay titles for this sound like they're book titles?

I do both digital and traditional media (although, the traditional stuff tends to mostly be a lot of sketching things more than anything else) art. And knitting, but don't let me start off on that tangent. And I don't really have much of an internet presence besides here.....yet (although, I should probably think about getting one since I'm becoming more serious about wanting to do this professionally).
Last edited by Tea on Thu May 12, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Re: Tea's Art, however sporadic.

Post by Tea » Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Well, actually, I do have some sketches and more whimsical things that didn't make it onto the other one. In no particular order.

Haruko, quick digital painting done to introduce the character to a friend,..dates from about a year back.
► Show Spoiler
And an even quicker one of Kirin, quite a bit more recent, probably about the 1/2 year ago mark.
► Show Spoiler
Lune, daughter of Ioro and K`sa (picture forthcoming since she appears nowhere yet) complete with pencil shavings, food wrapper, and workstation chaos....one day maybe I'll sit down and take a better photo.
► Show Spoiler
My children get older...Bao, Kraken, and Heye. *sniff* ....it's all too soon for you,..you should just stay little kids....
► Show Spoiler
The First Appearance of the Kraken!, well...he used to be a kraken, sort of....he was a cute little octopus creature, and then he came of age and turned humanoid. Has the ability to eat anything, an ability which he frequently uses unless provided with sufficient munchies...
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Thu May 29, 2014 11:50 pm

digital painting I started about a year ago and am just now getting around to finishing, or starting to finish, or at least getting a few more things done on it...so, still work in progress but finally going somewhere. Portrait of Heyë, Yuu's daughter, and no, I'm not sure where she is yet either, I said work in progress, okay, it doesn't have to be done!
[thumbnail]http://s25.postimg.org/y18et4opb/Heye_III.png[/thumbnail]
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:53 am

K`sa finally makes an appearance, even though in the next one of her that's going to appear I've completely changed the skin color.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoodleMoogle
Speaks Quietly

Post by DoodleMoogle » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 am

What medium was this latest picture done in? The rounded corners and the thick color reminds me of my etching courses. It gives artworks a very nice texture.
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:39 pm

um,...er....actually,....I was playing with imjur's image effects.... it's just pencil and sketchbook.... they have strange names so I'm not exactly sure what this one did, it appears to have just added the border and increased the contrast. (sorry for disillusionment, etching is awesome, but alas....)

Dropping the last vestiges of humility, thank you, I agree it did come out surprisingly nicely.

(sans image effects)
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DoodleMoogle
Speaks Quietly

Post by DoodleMoogle » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Shows what I know I guess. Three years of etching classes and I can't even tell the difference. Sheesh. :oops:
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:53 am

I'm not sure whether to be surprised or worried that this happened in a timely manner, the aforementioned second drawing of K`sa. Pencil and sketchbook.
[thumbnail]http://shadowness.com/file/item9/437159 ... 3682277179[/thumbnail]

[slightly more coherent description may appear after sleep,...thought fails....just was putting it up anyway]

also, no etching classes, no shame. computer is getting pretty good at mimicry.
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:11 am

Lune in her lion cub/puppy/cat form (and just to prove that I do sometimes pick up Photoshop).
[thumbnail]http://shadowness.com/file/item9/440066/image_t6.jpg[/thumbnail]
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Yuu makes an appearance, really, really quick (which is a couple of hours instead of weeks or worse) digital painting over of a previous (and decidedly horrid) drawing by me.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Sort of art-related: In my watercolor class we're copying works of the artist Claude Lorrain and I'm using An Antique Heardsman (an image of which eludes my abilities to find it online so this will likely not make as much sense), which features a nude male figure in the foregroundÔÇöa figure who if you're me for some reason turned out muscular and bald. So now,...I'm resisting the urge to paint him as Minmax (I wonder what my art teacher would think if I turned that in...).

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:29 am

Do you mean herdsman? There is no work with that exact name apparently, but he has a crazy amount of pictures with herdsmen. If you saw it in the class, you may be able to find it here.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Was just going to put up one, but why? Here's a couple of watercolors from the last few months' watercolor class.

Here's the first painting we did (okay, the color wheel was first, but that doesn't count).
[thumbnail]http://shadowness.com/file/item9/458584/image_t6.jpg[/thumbnail]

(and then the second) Fruit and Vegetable Study
[thumbnail]http://shadowness.com/file/item9/458582/image_t6.jpg[/thumbnail]

and then the forth (painting half asleep, maybe not such a good idea) (also, the first time we went outdoors to paint)
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]

(sixth, apparently the instructor has all the odd numbers right now) outdoor fog painting. It was supposed to be a nice, clear view out to the ocean, but apparently the weather decided differently.
[thumbnail]http://shadowness.com/file/item9/458583/image_t6.jpg[/thumbnail]

And finally, seventh, my version of Claude Lorrain's (at least I'm fairly certain it's his) An Antique Herdsman (this time spelt correctly)
Xeroxed Page of Book I was working with
► Show Spoiler
He stopped looking like Minmax awhile in, I should have stopped for a picture before I was finished. Also, apparently this is what happens when I have too much tea while painting (it actually looks slightly creepier in person).
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
Last edited by Tea on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm slightly surprised I managed to finish this, normally I say I'll do things and then they perish midway through. Half-orc over in Jacon's Gordor II.
[thumbnail]http://shadowness.com/file/item9/463191/image_t6.jpg[/thumbnail]
Pencil drawing+Photoshop.
Last edited by Tea on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:58 am

Amazing watercolours Tea, love the flowers in the first one.
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:52 am

I have more watercolors but I have to get around to photographing them in order to get them up. In the meantime,
Pen, Paper, and My Horrid Ability to Outline give you another one of older Lune
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
and then took I then Illustrator and the Live Paint Bucket to her trying to figure out what colors to make the coat.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:50 pm

I like the black with yellow accents (2nd in top row.) And the purple one.
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 pm

A belated thank you for the compliment, I was waiting until I finally got around to getting the rest onto the computer, and now, well, here's the rest of the watercolors!

After the fruit, we did glass objects! And er,...this is what happens when the teacher said to make things easier by only painting 5-6 ish objects....I count twelve :paranoia: you didn't see anything..... Oh, and we started learning to use frisket, which is now my friend. And I managed to get one of my classmates to call me crazy, but it was the good artisty kind of crazy, so all's cool.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]

And here's the other missing odd number, leaves. More frisket practice and I found a nice tiny brush (my precious...*sigh* okay, tea,...my other precious....) (most of these are done on a 12x16 block which I still consider pretty huge even though I've since gotten used to it and the size has grown on me) I painted it in this orientation, but then I kept changing it, so I have no idea which direction is actually supposed to be facing up.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]

And then we went over to the local lighthouse/harbor for some clouds and water. Water turned out well,...clouds...they're okay. We'd also just been introduced to using alcohol and salt to resist paint which,...I tried, but they really didn't seem to want to do anything for me that time.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]

Luckily, the next class we did more cloud practice. And,..I..er....accidentally painted "that mountain from Tolkien" (I got this comment from at least two different people and I'm not sure if they were talking about the Lonely Mountain or Mount Doom?
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
It's actually Ship Rock, New Mexico, but hey, I could always go back in and add a Nazgul/fell beast or two....

And then it's the overzealously puddled fish. I got a little bit carried away on this one.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
but I accidentally ended up living up to the Gobliny nickname I've since ended up with...which is a little bit of a story.
► Show Spoiler
Then one of the other classes had a model whom they'd been working with, and one day they let our class over to paint for a bit.
Fair warning, she's nude. In theory, I was going to finish painting her later, but that didn't quite happen.
► Show Spoiler
Sponges, sprays and other chaos for wall texture painting day. I believe my thoughts were something along the lines of "Help! it's colorful! What have I ended up with?"...actually,...I'm still thinking "Help! it's colorful"...
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]

And then it was portrait time! We got more of the teacher's photocopies, so I have no idea who she is/was.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
We were supposed to do a small practice one first of one person, then do a larger one of a different person, but I felt like doing the same one twice. Also, I'd kinda been challenged to take on all the beading/embroidery she was wearing, and the first one doesn't even come close to doing any of that justice.

And finally, the last project was hitting mixed media/collage....which...let's just say that anything that involves cutting up paper and gluing it to something else and me just....doesn't tend to end well....and well I have some other problems with collage aside (cutting up someone else's work and rearranging it has just never felt right to me, even when the material is normally just stray bits of advertisements from magazines and everyone else around me seems to have no problem with it...), I have a pretty good history of letting these kinds of things find their way (one way or another) into the nearest receptacle of refuse.
Glued papers, watercolor, oil pastel, and acrylic. I've done worse.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]

Well,..It's almost the rest. I did one as a present for a friend and I completely neglected to photograph it so I could put it up here...
Last edited by Tea on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 am

Amazing body of work! I love your autumn leaves :)

How do you photograph your work? It looks amazing, like you've done them all on the computer. I scan my drawings and it looks terrible, like they've obviously been scanned and the detail is slightly faded.
► Show Spoiler

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Ah, and again thank you. I..er...actually, have been wanting to get a scanner, but it's a couple meters down on my long list of things to do eventually, so I just find a nice bit of floor, aim a light at it (I have yet to master even lighting....especially with things with a lot of the paper showing....I keep getting part of it to turn brown instead of the white it's supposed to be...), and then break out the otherwise crappy digital camera I have and photo the thing. And yeah,...sometimes the image takes some editing to get back to being what it's supposed to look like (or what I think they're supposed to look like) (pretty much all of this set has had Photoshop level adjustments, a few images I had to warp back to being rectangles, and lots of cropping/rotating).

The other trick is probably the thumbnails. I actually asked DoodleMoogle the same question awhile back and he said scanner with a bit of editing if needed, then I realized that he was thumbnailing everything when he was putting it up on the forum, decided to try the same, and it does actually seem to make quite an improvement somehow (I'm just gonna say computery magic and not question it too hard lest I disturb something). And despite never actually mentioning it, I'm still attributing this one to DoodleMoogle.

Edit: Doodlemoodle? oops. Fixing my horrid remembering of names.

DoodleMoogle
Speaks Quietly

Post by DoodleMoogle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:41 pm

I love your watercolor work. You're very talented with them. I love watercolors because of the way the different layers of color work. This medium leaves a really nice texture when it dries.
I don't have enough patience to let my watercolors ever dry so they often smudge into a horrible mess of colors.
I think digital drawings are a bit better for me since I'm so messy with my drawing. Ctrl+alt+z for the win. :P
Last edited by DoodleMoogle on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:55 am

The water colors are definitely my favorite. I have very similar problems as DoodleMoogle, and all my watercolors are TERRIBLE. I've always been very jealous of people like you or my friend who seem to slap down beautiful watercolors whenever it suits them :P excellent work, though!
I am high in fructose.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Not to disillusion either of you two or anything, but I'm not really that patient. I tend to get through waiting for the first few layers to dry fine, but anything after that and I have to force myself to get up before I make too much of a mess, wander around, complain to whatever unfortunate individual is within earshot, wander more, get a cup of tea, wander back to check if it's dry yet, repeat (although, if I let it dry a little bit so the paint settles down and isn't going to go all over the place, the handy household hairdryer is my friend even though most days I reserve it for a last resort).

Also, thank you (again). I'm actually really terrible at receiving compliments, I never know what to say back and I don't want to go into some great rant of ego here, but it's really a great honor. So...er....I guess (again, again) thank you.

P.S. ctrl+alt+z definitely for the win. (hm...I think I can totally train my drawing tablet to execute that one, if I remember correctly it still might have one slot for a command still open)

KittyCathy
Remains Silent

Post by KittyCathy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:12 am

Maybe it's sporadic, but you are very talented. Unfortunately, I do not know how to paint. I have no talent.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:51 am

Potential dramatic comeback thwarted by actually having to remember what of worth mentioning I've done since vanishing, and more importantly, where I am keeping it. Haven't picked up anything but a pencil in ages and I think I keep starting things and then getting distracted and never getting back to finishing them.

Edit: Memory comes back to me surprisingly fast; it appears I've found a few.
So, over the past few, oh, say months but I swear it feels like it hasn't been that long, my friend and I have been running through a roleplay version of Okami which I've ended up in charge of (and I am now going to be known as the one who ruined the story of her favorite video game by trying to make it a little more interesting) and, lo and behold, I couldn't resist doing a bunch of character design drawings (it's just me and her so I'm both one of the player characters and the DM (although, I'm pretty much just narrating based off of a series of walk-through videos). So, I guess here goes a few:

An early version of my character.
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
Drawn pencil and paper, re-drawn over in Photoshop because I wanted to color it and because I hadn't left enough room to do the feet. Unfortunately, rather than finish coloring, I decided to completely restart.

[thumbnail][/thumbnail][thumbnail][/thumbnail]
Pen on paper and then colored in Photoshop in preparation for our first run in with the Lucky Mallet (because turning into bouncing bug-people was just a much more fun idea than simply shrinking us). Although, my excessively long skirt to keep my character from bouncing all over the place just because she can plan ended up working a little too well and she incessantly ends up tripping instead.)

And then, no wait, that one's crap. That one doesn't need to come up here. Ah, these'll do.

[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
I'd say character redesign attempt two, but really, there were a lot of false starts so it's probably a misnomer (or maybe the right word is a misnumber). Thanks to my friend starting this the last few times we tried anything Okami-related, all the brush gods have human(oid) and animal forms, so this round the protagonists are her character (a giant, exceptionally fluffy doggie) and a small bird who (size and proportions aside) has to not get herself confused with the rooster that's already out there somewhere.

And finally, still a work in progress (I'm still working on the coloring and I would really like to get some shading in as well), but I eventually managed to finish a second attempt at a human form without getting fed up with it before the end (although, as I'm working I'm realizing that some of my body parts have issues in the drawing).
[thumbnail][/thumbnail]
It scanned (photoed) horribly so I ran it through some of the Photoshop filters because I've noticed that sometimes that can help make the line-work show up better and ended up with an interesting effect. Also, I'm not sure what the people of mythic Japan will think when I show up in something way too heavily influenced by the Skyrim Vampire Armor, but on the other hand, my counterpart keeps drawing herself in a fur-lined denim mini-skirt and they're all really trying hard not to stare at her, so maybe I'll be alright.

Next: unfortunately my figure-drawing class isn't out of the warm-up scribbling and sketching stage, there's a few that are at least recognizable as human, but I'm hoping that we get to start working on something a bit more complete (we haven't done anything longer than a 40 minute drawing and if it involves me and being given time I'd gladly spend at least a couple of hours....Maybe I just have to learn to draw faster...).
Last edited by Tea on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.