Shipwrecked! Player replacement (Closed)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: Shipwrecked! Player replacement (1 or 2 players needed)

Post by Theis2 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:13 am

That's fine. I use www.myth-weavers.com to manage and look at the sheets. Using a whip though requires a feat before you can use it without a penalty.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:19 am

Is there an Indiana Jones class? Since that very much seems what you're trying to go for. :P

Anyways, looking forward to you joining! Even if I pity your poor character being thrown in our dysfunctional little group... :lol:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Seriously, you're asking ME, the D&D dyslexic if there's an Indiana Jones class? :lol: I wouldn't know. Maybe a prestige class like the dashing swordsman? (I only know that one from OOTS, thanks Elan! o:) )
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:14 am

I can't readily remember any indiana jones class or prestige class, but I can take a look around and see what I can find a little later today :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:43 pm

After a bit of looking I found the hoardstealer prestige class. I'm not sure it really covers what you want. There's also spellthief which is a rogue with a bit of a magic flair (the class literally describes the primary ability :P ).

For stats
You roll two rolls of stats using 4d6 removing the lowest, you choose the set you like the most but you can't switch inbetween the two sets.
Which would give you two sets of 6 numbers ranging from 3-18. Choose the set you like the best (usually the one that's highest :P )
You also get full hp at first level
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:15 pm

I'm no expert, but it seems like hoardstealer has some prerequisite, and spell thief sounds interesting, but also complicated. (Had to shop for shoes today, because my last pair of winter fit ones desintegrated last year. I'm SO spent and in no condition to read AND understand stuff I just read today anymore.) Will try to take a look at it tomorrow. Sorry for the hold up. :oops:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah hoard stealer is a prestige class, they can only be accessed when you are fulfilling the requirements and I'm not yet ready to introduce your character yet, (though it won't be that long, yet no need to hurry.)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: Shipwrecked! Player replacement (Closed)

Post by Theis2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 am

Have you found time to look at it? :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 am

Hoard Stealer

If you start as a rogue and put in the appropriate skill points, you could start in on the Hoard Stealer class as your 6th character level, provided we find a suitably big hoard to trigger your character's obsession.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 am

okay, so I took a look at both hoardstealer and spellthief.

If I understood correctly a hordstealer would have to prepare the spells during a resting period for the following day, just like a wizard would, while the spell thief is more a spontaneous caster, like a sorcerer?
Also, I have to admit that needing a high char is a little more to what I had in mind with an "Indiana Jones like char" than high intelligence (for the bonus spells and whatnot).
(Though Indian Jones obviously is BOTH intelligent AND charming. :P o:) )

Also, to become a hoard stealer I am assuming that Henry would have to start out as a different class, and get the hoardstealer prestige class at some later point (either before game, if that's possible or during the game, if we come across a large enough hoard of treasure), while with spellthief I could take that as class, just like other people take rogue or fighter or cleric,... Is that about right?

On the other hand, those 'deep pockets' sound really REALLY handy. Maybe I could become a spellthief with the hoarder prestige class? XD
How does multi-classing work anyways?

About the stats:
how many time do I roll 4d6 for a set? # stats (str, dex, wis, char, int, con = 6) or # stat +1 (=7) and erase the lowest? Also, is the order of the rolls fixed, or can I assign the numbers to the stats of my choosing?

Which level should my char be, and how do I level up, once I settled for a class, stats, etc.?

and... can someone please link the rogue class, too, so I can compare a bit, side by side?

@ everyone: if anyone is bugged by me spamming this into the thread, I'll gladly take this up with Theis in PM (he already sent me one to kindly offer his assistance :thumbsup: ), I just figured maybe anyone else had some helpful input. :)
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 am

Here ya go for rogue (pretty sure this is the correct stuff...): http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rogue

As for stats, you can easily roll up stats here: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/roll/ Default settings should be correct for what we want.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:30 am

For stats you roll 4d6 (2, 5, 6, 1 could be the roll) and remove the lowest number and add the rest together. (so 1 would be removed and 2+5+6=13) which you note down and roll another 5 times for 6 times in total. I then have a houserule where you repeat the process and end up with two sets of 6 numbers, and you are allowed to take the one that fits you the most. You get a bonus depending on the score, which mythweavers put in automatically. The lowest score you could get is normally 3 which would give you a penalty of -4 which gets higher for every even number it's higher. So 10 would give a bonus of 0 and 18 a bonus of +4.

Your character would start at level 2 soon level 3. So not high enough level to get into the prestige class yet, but preparing for it won't hurt. The spellthief and rogue are normal classes, which don't have any requirements normally. (Paladins have to be lawful good). Multiclassing is fairly simple, but will explain more about it when necessary but basically it's just like increasing your existing class.

And yes, hoard stealers prepare their spells and have to choose which spells they have available for the day. It's also based on intelligence for bonus spells and save DC (how hard they are to resist) Spellthief are as you noted spontanous, and they can cast every spell they know without preparing before hand. They use charisma to determine their bonus spells and save DC

Quite likely I missed some, but just "bother" me again if needed :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:41 am

Yeah, you missed a rather important one: Can I assign the numbers I get to the stats freely (within the picked of the two sets) or do I have to give the first number to e.g. Str, the second one to ...? If the latter, what is the order?

Also, you guys said there would be a special feature needed to use the whip. Which one is it and can a level 2 char even have it yet?

Still trying to decide whether to take rogue or spellthief.
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:14 am

You can assign the numbers to the stats freely.

No idea about the whip though.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:25 am

you'd need the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whip. Make sure to read the description on whips, they have a number of limitations (deal non lethal, can't damage heavily armored, provokes AoO), as well as a number of interesting things ( trip attacks, range, disarm).
My resource of choice is http://www.d20srd.org
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:35 am

For sites, I approve of d20srd and dndtool which I've been linking from so far. The dandwiki sadly have a tendency of user made content which I'm rather cautious about.

M0rt is right. You are not forced to use the first roll in strenght and the second in dex and so forth. You can freely move them around

As spiderwrangler mentioned the whip is a rather special weapon that requires a feat to learn to use it properly. You get a feat at 1st level, 3rd level, 6th level, 9th level and so forth. If you are human, you'll get an extra feat.

The rogue is more focused on skills than the spellthief (you can maximise two skills more as a rogue.)
In combat, the rogue deals more damage with sneak attack than the spellthief does, and the rogue gets evasion (let's you avoid some spell effects like fireball on a succesful save) and uncanny dodge which let's you keep your dex to you AC even when flatfooted (suprise attacked)
The spellthief on the other hand is able to take spells and the like from the enemy, and even borrow them from allies which can make up for not having evasion or uncanny dodge.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 am

I'm going to try and roll up a char a.s.a.p. But I'll leave for a short trip (Sun-Fri) soon, and I have to get all kinds of stuff done before that. On the upside, I might actually finally find the time to create the char while I'm away, read up on all that stuff.

I hope this doesn't pose a problem. I'll be taking my laptop with me, so I'll most likely be able to log in at least once a day.
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I'll try to delay your character appearance even further then, though it shouldn't be a problem with their current adversary.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Yeah, we're up against a bat.

Shit's gonna be tough.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:13 am

I rolled up a spellthief. Please feel free to look up his sheet here. (friendly) Comments and advice welcome. :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:21 am

My god, you actually have a decent inventory prepared... As we are still pretty much carrying around random crap we found... :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:52 am

In our defense, we WERE shipwrecked, it isn't entirely due to our characters being mostly incompetent.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler