Kung Fu RPG

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Kung Fu RPG

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 am

Ever wanted to be that stoic shaolin monk who beats the bad guys with badass chops and kicks?

Or you wanted to be the long bearded villain who shouts "Your Gongfu is weak!" and laughs maniacally?

Your chance is now here.

If you haven't read the wonderful webcomic Pang, the wandering Shaolin Monk, do it now, it will get you in the mood all right.

What is better, the author is now making a tabletop RPG game of it, you can download and read the test ruleset right here.

Yes, I'm willing to make a forum game based on this, so feel free to read the rules to get an idea what the game is moreless about.

Here is a briefy:
The game is placed in the 17th century China, with the Qings overtaking the Mings. The players are basically Ming "aligned" characters, dealing with their everyday life under the Qing opression.

There are different character classes: Shaolin Monk, Martial Expert, Brigand, Folk Fighter, Literatus, You Xia (something like a headhunter / ronin). Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

The characters have many attributes, traits, skills, but they are mainly focused on two parts:
- Roleplaying and world shaping. (Yes, you get feats to actually change the "story" !)
- Combat (Because what is a kung fu game without beating up a handful of goons now and then...)

My changes to the rules:
- The game gives out "kung fu points" to the players after every session. Since it is hard to make a definite "session" in a forum game, I will make arbitrary points in the game when I'll be rewarding you guys as if it were a session limit. I'm also willing to reward you in the meantime too in case of good roleplaying and such.
- The combat is based heavily on throwing a lot of d6 dice. I'm not sure how to add this element to the forum game, shall I roll for everyone, or will you guys do it for your own (via invisible castle or something)? This is important because dice rolling is a limited resource in fights, and one successful attack/defense might affect how many you will be rolling against the next target. This also means that doing battles in the forum will be a bit wonky, but we will see.
Please post here if you are interested in playing (or DMing). I encourage everyone to read the rules (they are simple) and browse through the characters... I'm willing to copy all the relevant data to the forum but only if enough people show interest but they are unwilling to have the testbook pdf ready at hand. :)

Also, feel free to review the rules and email the author about them! I know I have exchanged several letters already and Ben is super cool about answering. Even if a bit slow on it. :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Nerre
Game Master

Re: Kung Fu RPG

Post by Nerre » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:19 am

How complex will this game be? The setting sounds cool, but I am already in some games and are afraid it might need to much time to read and roleplay. What do you expect? Something like Threads of Reality?
:zzz:

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Re: Kung Fu RPG

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:05 am

Nerre wrote:How complex will this game be? The setting sounds cool, but I am already in some games and are afraid it might need to much time to read and roleplay. What do you expect? Something like Threads of Reality?
Yes, it will be more of a story focused game, with the RPG rules to give it a frame. The players can try to do whatever they want, and from the rules the DM decides whether it's possible or not (or how hard it is). For example you guys sit in a teahouse and would like to get information about Mr. Yang, but you don't know who he is or whom to ask. One of you decides to ask around. I'll make you roll a Circles check to see how likely you'll find a suitable person. (Or I can make the roll for you and just say the result e.g. "noone knows Yang here" or "asking that big bearded guy looks as a promising start"). Basically, you just have to play the game, I'll provide the means.

If you guys want less speaky, more dicerolling-fighty that works too. It will be a bit clunky on the forum (Why don't we have a built-in diceroller yet? :( ), but then you don't have to read that much... :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D