Recruitment (8 slots): Runes of Greldathriaxx

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Recruitment (8 slots): Runes of Greldathriaxx

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:33 am

Or just RoG for short.

This...

Is a goblin. Ok, so I decided to use sprites.

And this...

Is the opening to the Ruins of Greldathriaxx. (A Brass, since you had to ask.)

And thus:

... is how their stat sheets look.

ARMOR (the armor icon): Deals with both how well you're protected and how well you can take a hit.

1d8 is rolled separately from the attack, which is a simple d20 + Attack resisted by Defense (where the amount of damage done is 1 per 3 points of difference / armor break is 1 per 4 difference, and a critical would be a natural 18+. If an 8 turns up on the d8, the attack is a critical for +25% damage. If the hit roll is a natural 20 AND the roll is an 8, damage increases to +50% and staggers the opponent, forcing an immediate lost turn. If the roll is a 1, it's a critical miss (if the blow hits, damage is halved, if it misses the attacker loses their next turn)

ATTACK (the sword/arrow icon): The attack roll is 1d20 + (this value).

MAGIC POWER (the wand) is used if casting a spell from your MP pool in place of Attack and only two thirds of the Armor value is used instead of its full value. In addition, spells you find may have other interesting effects, both for the caster and the target!

PIETY (the donation table icon) is a measure of belief in oneself. Think of it as Reflex, Will and Fortitude all rolled up into one. When there's a chance for "something interesting" to happen, there is a roll of 1d6+1d7+1d8. If the roll is under this value, then something interesting happens. If the die roll is triples, then a truly Mysterious Event occurs. It's also considered "Luck" for things that might use it...

FATE (the spinny whirly vortex thingy) is the amount of rerolls one gets, though you have to specify a "reroll strategy" (whether you reroll at every bad turn, only on criticals against you, saving throws, etc; this can be changed as you see fit for free). Fate regenerates naturally by 1 point at the end of every 7 turns (6 for Rogues) but won't regenerate beyond 15 even though there's no maximum Fate one can have. Only one reroll per turn, and you have to keep the second result.

GOLD is pretty self-explaining. Used to buy and sell stuff, as well as bribes and other things...

ENERGY (the grapes) is something you spend on moves. Attacking and a miss costs 3, while attacking and a hit costs 2. Taking one's turn costs between 1 for just moving up to 7 depending on the actual action and how strenuous it is (I'll deduct based on action; this ain't Cavemen). If Energy reaches 15 you can no longer attack and if it reaches 0, you're unconscious until Energy is a positive value. If you fall unconscious you can be one-shot, so watch out! Moving from room to room will usually cost 2 or 3, so you can (usually) move a maximum of 3 rooms a turn if you're running back to another place (or back to the surface screaming like a little girl...)

Winning a battle restores 8 Energy and 4 Armor in the same turn the combat ends.
Resting for a turn replenishes 12 to 21 Energy, (Energy restored -7) Armor, 1-3 HP and 1-3 MP.
"Missing" a turn restores 4 Energy up to four in a row missed, if I happen to update and you miss your turn. Miss five in a row and I'll consider you inactive, which will treat you as unconscious (and thus you can be one-shot)

HIT POINTS are represented by the gold blob while MANA is represented by the purple one.

There are five Backgrounds to choose from: Warrior, Shaman, Rogue, Journeyman and Mage.
► Show Spoiler
If you're not a Shaman or Mage, spells are risky. A Piety roll is made, and if this save is blown, something happens to you (usually bad) based on your magic power.

You Level Up by spending Fate, where the new level costs N+2 Fate. So to level up the first time costs 3, to level up again costs 4, etc. Only one level can be done per turn; it is a full round action as they sit and reflect. Best used when Resting/Repairing. Level Ups improve all stats by one to three points (except Fate), HP by 6-12 (3-8 for mages, 15-21 for warriors). You can also Level Up by completing certain goals suited to your class or certain adventure-related milestones. Collecting a Rune levels the collector -twice-.

Finally, I'm using a list randomizer where I enter every active creature's name and go from top to bottom as a turn order. Rogues move 2 spaces up in the list. After everyone has declared/posted their actions, I'll advance the turn and type things out in the order the list generates.

Eight slots open, expanding to ten at maximum! I'll colorize the name of the player in text above their icon, but that's the extent I can do with Paint. I'd color the individual gobs but I don't own photoshop and my MS paint skills are crap. Although I did poke LAYF for poses and things... heh

Entries close on February 7th at midnight my time (Eastern). I'll try and update it on days where I'm not updating Civilization 5. Maybe multiple updates a night if everyone's on.
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Recruitment (8 slots): Runes of Greldathriaxx

Post by nikohl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:36 am

Rooooogue. Dibs. Dibs on Rogue. I said.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:48 am

One or two good hits will kill a rogue, they're based around avoiding combat. One critical will be all it takes... two for sure. So just because they -look- overpowered... heh heh heh

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:14 pm

I always play rogues, regardless of stats :P

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 pm

This seems initally interesting to me (and I have heard that Aegis games are worth playing)...

But I'm concerned this would be more of a one line update and math-heavy stat based game instead of heavy with character development. I'm not being critical I just don't know these games go.

Can you give some insight to people interested but not familiar with your style?
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm very interested :)

I'll take a mage if possible

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:09 pm

I'd like to give this a try. I'll be a shaman.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm in too. I'll play rogue.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 pm

SGTdude wrote:This seems initally interesting to me (and I have heard that Aegis games are worth playing)...

But I'm concerned this would be more of a one line update and math-heavy stat based game instead of heavy with character development. I'm not being critical I just don't know these games go.

Can you give some insight to people interested but not familiar with your style?
Not a one line update, and not terribly math heavy. There will be a story wrapped around it. Or many, depending on what happens.

If you want my style, just go read the Civilization thread, link's in my signature. Was supposed to update tonight but I'm feeling lazy and will do it tomorrow. :)

If 7 or all 8 slots fill by the end of the weekend, I'll start on Monday instead. LAYF got a sprite sheet to me of modified goblin sprites with recolors. Looks like we gots 4 so far...

Anyone want to give names to their characters? Two Rogues, a Mage and a Shaman... better hope for some warriors...

Edited to add: SGTDude: My Civilization thread is always open for new players, and a few dropped when their PCs ended up dead, so feel free to join if you want.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:59 pm

I'll also be in ##GobGames on Esper.net in IRC, maybe this'll give people a reason to join the channel :P

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:01 pm

I will go warriror, as we maybe need a tank . :)

Color: #0040FF
Name: Fights for glory (old char from an old, abandoned game)
:zzz:

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 pm

That's 5... :)

DiesasaYoungling
Whispers Softly

Post by DiesasaYoungling » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:12 pm

I wouldn't mind playing, probably as a Shaman.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:07 pm

That's 6...
► Show Spoiler
Hmmm... One big huge sheet, or individual tabs? (I also need to add the spells the casters know...) How does one do tabs anyway?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:That's 6...
► Show Spoiler
Hmmm... One big huge sheet, or individual tabs? (I also need to add the spells the casters know...) How does one do tabs anyway?
Id say individual tabs... and you make them like this:

[ tabs]

[ tabs: A Character]
Characters stuff

[ tabs: Another Character]
Another Characters stuff

[ /tabs]

Without space in front of tabs will give ==

-Best regards LAYF

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

► Show Spoiler
Nnnnnnnnnnope. Your code is wrong. Try again. TY for the edit, LAYF :)
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Nnnnnnnnnnope. Your code is wrong. Try again.
Works fine, what are you talking about ;)
(I edidted your post... you had forgot to remove the space between [ and tabs so it would be [tabs
-Best regards LAYF

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 pm

I did the first time, and it didn't show up in a preview. Maybe that was it?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:54 pm

hmmmm. I don't know... but if you can just copy that it works :)
-Best regards LAYF

DiesasaYoungling
Whispers Softly

Post by DiesasaYoungling » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:22 pm

BecomesATeller

I may swap to Warrior if we don't get another one.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 am

Leaps-and-Bounds (colour white, but not for my text obviously)

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:59 am

Still considering this because no one has had the guts to go journeyman. Color me potentially in.

Edit: here come the questions 2
1) "Up to 1d3+1 attacks can be done in a single "turn" " does this mean I could make as may as 4 attacks in a turn? Or does that mean only 4 characters total can attack in a particular turn?
(maybe this: "Finally, I'm using a list randomizer where I enter every active creature's name and go from top to bottom as a turn order. Rogues move 2 spaces up in the list. After everyone has declared/posted their actions, I'll advance the turn and type things out in the order the list generates" explains it, but I didnt understand that either.)

2) Even with the random buff the journeyman seems underpowered. Am I missing something?
ok I didnt understand the random bar. So I can have stats like this (either best case or worst case with the two lowest converted to +6 applied to armor and attack)?
armor 13..... armor 13
attack 10.... attack 10
magic 7....... magic 1
piety 10...... piety 4
fate 7......... fate 1
hp 20.......... hp 14
mana 11...... mana 5

Im going to try this but it seems like it has great potential for weakness in terms of group benefit, so if I am missing something please let me know.
Last edited by SGTdude on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:11 am

Plays-with-Knives(Knives for short) colour: #008000

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:54 am

Crushes-Fortunes color:#8000BF

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:18 am

SGTdude wrote:(maybe this: "Finally, I'm using a list randomizer where I enter every active creature's name and go from top to bottom as a turn order. Rogues move 2 spaces up in the list. After everyone has declared/posted their actions, I'll advance the turn and type things out in the order the list generates" explains it, but I didnt understand that either.)
I understood it that this is how initiative will be determined. Not sure about the number of attacks though.

Also if I get Aegis intention, then the journeyman is inspired by Crawl's wanderer class which also has randomised stats and gear.
It's meant as more of a challenge class and is not very viable, but you can get lucky and get good stats/gear