Goblins Minesweepers - Character Recreation

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Goblins Minesweepers - Character Recreation

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:58 am

Hopefully within 2 weeks I'll be over my final exam, and can again dedicate more of my time towards forum gaming.

I know some of you eventually liked the Minesweepers game, and thus I think it would be nice to restart it.

What is this game? Well, there are many small stuff spread about it in the forum (like a more-less ruleset in the Resources section, or finished / unfinished games), so I would not like to repeat them, but the basic premise:
- This game is similar to the computer game "Mine Sweeper", where you reveal all the tiles which are not undermined.
- Instead of "clicking" anywhere, you control a character, which gains levels, skills and items over time to perform better.
- The game is basically in a cooperative campaign mode, where the team decides which maps to explore. Maps are made by me, but anyone can feel free to contribute (they can't play on their own map, though).
- Maps are varied in shape and size, they might pretty much differ from the classic rectangular layout. They could also contain hidden surprises (monsters, enemies, ocassional loot, traps, hinderances, npcs, other kinds of enemies, and so on...), and game-changing mechanics.

What to do if you want to play

New Players
- Create a new character! It should have a name, gender, and a color! These are mandatory. Even though your character will be a goblin, you are not required to adhere to the naming convention of the Goblins comic. Feel free to call him Jimmy, or Lord Malkazar the XVIIth, or maybe even "Jarblegarg Troggmassnix", as long as it makes sense in a way (* you write a background story, see below). The color can be anything, but keep in mind that your name will appear colored in the posts for easier recognition, thus it is advised to choose an "easy on eyes" color, else don't mind if your color will be appearing a lot less for readability's sake. Gender can be male or female, and any social sensitiveness aside, there is no other option. The reason being: I have a basic male character model, and a female one. Males are bald, and females get hair on the top of their head, the difference is purely aesthetical, and mean nothing in game terms (feel free to roleplay everything else related).
- Write a small background story or description! This is not mandatory, but advised. It helps me to put more detail into the game once in a while, and also the game will be more lively than just your standard pc game of mine sweeping.

Veteran Players
- Post that you want to rejoin! I have every charactersheet to its full extent - and to my knowledge, correct in data -, so there is no problem in reusing in case you are fond of them! This means all the gained XP, skills, items, etc., up to the point where the last game got halted. If you want to make a new character, then the rules for new players apply, and proceed as described above.
- Decide whether you want to continue the last game, or start a new one! Restarting will take a bit of time, but it is not impossible. In case at least 10 of the old players want to continue, then so be it! If you'd rather start on a new map, then I'll whip up some options as soon as I'll see moreless how many of you would actually play.
If there are enough new players (at least 5) but the veterans want to continue the last game:
- Option A) They will have to wait until the current round is finished, before joining in. This should not take too long as the game got aborted near to its end.
- Option B) They start a new, different game. I can not guarantee that they will be able to play with the veterans later on, that will depend on how these paralel running games will start / end.

The new players will vote about these options, majority wins. :)
Any questions? Feel free to ask! If starting a new map wins in any case, I'll post map options later, please do not ask about them just now.

Happy signing up! Deadline is Friday night, two weeks from now. (17th Jan, iirc).
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: Goblins Minesweepers - Rearmed

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am

Oh see that shiny will continue on with his legacy :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:10 am

I'll be happy to rejoin and continue

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 am

As i have still yet to play, i suppose i should try it at least once.

Name - Supreme High Lord Schnitzel (called Silver Spoon behind his back)
Gender - Male
Color - Burnt Orange - #BF4000

Story: Supreme High Lord Schnitzel was born with a silver spoon up his butt (literally, there was a small accident during the birthing process and the spoon has somehow become permanently attached. Due to his uniqueness, he has taken to lording it over the other goblins and demands that he be called Supreme High Lord Schnitzel. Due to his deformity, he is called silver spoon behind his back, a nickname that Schnitzel despises.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 am

Flags Mines is in! I'll go with whatever people choose. I'm just happy to be playing again. :)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Of course I want to rejoin. I can only hope, that we will finish last game.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:04 pm

me, Me, ME, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! o:)

Or should I say Stumbles? 8) In other words: I'd like my old char back.

I'd love to finish the old game (I was kind of curious what the big map would hold), but I am fine either way.

You could allow some new players to take the place of some old ones that don't return, maybe, so nobody has to wait? :idea:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Blitz Craig reporting for duty!
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 am

Goska's back in action.

As for whether to stop or continue, I 'd say if we allow new players to join in on the second (and perhaps more) stages of the round, I'd be more inclined to vote we continue than if they are prevented from joining until that round is totally over.

Note: Only 8 players would benefit from continuing the current maps, so we'd need most of them to rejoin if we were to continue these maps. And there are a very limited amount of moves left to complete these maps if they show up. If they don't show up, I can rule that the current maps are over.

You gave me the impression we didn't stop near the end of the round, but more near the end of the first part of the round.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:32 am

Davecom3 wrote: You gave me the impression we didn't stop near the end of the round, but more near the end of the first part of the round.
Yeah, sorry for the vague sentence. I meant the current mini maps, of course.

I'm all up for allowing the new players to join up the game for the next map. Maybe they can even join the current one if not enough people show up. (I might even allow players of the finished map to move to an unfinished map if the playerbase remains scarce. )

I am also up for continuing the story on the next map, and considering the current one done, if it is preferred.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll register my interest in continuing rather than restarting then.

DiesasaYoungling
Whispers Softly

Post by DiesasaYoungling » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Registering as a new player!

DiesExplosively

Male, #8040BF

DiesExplosively was sent by his clan to fulfill his destiny. He's kind of excited about it too! Seriously what goblin gets the opportunity to face his or her destiny head on?

Lee
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Lee » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Registering as a new player.

Questions_Everything
Female, #80BF80

Filled with curiosity about everything, Questions lives up to her name. She's never seen anything she didn't want to know about and no one she wouldn't question incessantly. Having annoyed every craftsman in her village with her incessant questions (the butcher, the baker, even the candlestick maker), the village elders sent her out with the other Goblin Minesweepers in the hopes that they would finally get some peace. Questions is tremendously excited for her first trip into the wilds, There's sure to be new and interesting things to discover...

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 am

Explore-Randomly
Male, #0000FF

Explore randomly, as his name suggests, likes to wonder randomly into random places. He finds himself in weird places and he never walks into a certain place, always moving randomly "To where ever his legs might take him". It might be a problem when there are mines around, but who cares?
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:29 am

Three days until application deadline!

The current state is:

11 players: 7 veterans, 4 newbies.

Since the veterans would like continue, but we lack in numbers, I propose the following:

We consider the last map finished, I update the stats of everyone, and we begin on the next map of the story. New players join the game at this point, consider them as reinforcements!

New players: to catch up with the veterans, you get double XP until you reach level one, and some small, diminishing bonus after that.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:08 am

That's what I would have advised, given how many veterans on the current maps failed to show up.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:52 am

L&S/Dave - you might want to send PMs to veteran players. They might not check the recruitment thread

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:32 pm

Sounds good to me :)
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 am

Just a heads up:

Actualized player data and now I'm working on the map.

This information will be copied into the opening post, once the map is ready to go. (It will have a new thread.)

A Grave Situation
map tileset: graveyard
grid layout: regular quads
mine layout: random
hinderances: traps, monsters

Special Map Rule:
- Tiles with a "grave" in them count as discoverable tiles, but they do not trigger when a player steps upon them. To find out whether they are mines or contain a number, the player has to do a "dig" action, which is a free action, provided the player is standing on the same tile. Tiles with a grave on them do not count towards the map goal. (This means you can finish the map without disturbing the cemetery, in case you are afraid of a possible otherworldy retribution... >:D)

Spawning Rules:
- Everyone can spawn, no waiting line.
- To avoid "jumping around", the rule for circling out is the following:
1) The player declares circling out and the end of their turn. 2) The player circles out in the next turn, as a full-turn action. 3) The player cannot respawn in the next turn. So if someone declares circling out at turn 10, they will only circle out on turn 11, they cannot respawn on turn 12, only able to come back on turn 13. I hope this limit will be able to keep players in line.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 am

So we're to become grave robbers, then? Or are we just conveniently digging our own graves right before discovering the mine buried at the bottom?

It'll be interesting finding out...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:36 pm

One would argue that people who die to mines won't likely need graves, more like urns or bags (possibly more of them), but yeah, that's the principle. :D

In the mean time,
evaluation! (because I totally not forgot to post it in my previous reply...)

Flags have been evaluated, and everyone recieved their gold.

Goska gained an additional 5 points of leadership, so he is now level 1 leader! Which means upgrade time!

Your current warpaint:
Sign of Goodwill: Heals an ally (including self) for 2 HP, in a radius of 3 movement range.

Possible upgrades (choose only 1):
- Increase range to 5 movement range
- Increase healpower to 3HP
- Basic healing now removes a negative status effect, too.

Current state,
Character Sheets:
.[tabs:Blitz Craig]
Jibjib's Blitz Craig
Level 1, XP: 5. Deaths: 2

Active Skills 1/2: evil (use corpse)
Unused Skills 1/2: spelunky (run)
Inventory: 10 / 10 flags

Hammerspace: 15 coins, no equipment
[tabs:DiesExplosively]
DiesasaYoungling's DiesExplosively
Level 0, XP: 0. Deaths: 0

Active Skills 0/1:
Unused Skills 0/1:

Hammerspace empty
[tabs: Explore-Randomly]
I'mBob's Explore-Randomly

Active Skills 0/1:
Unused Skills 0/1:

Hammerspace empty
[tabs:Flags Mines]
WearsHats' Flags Mines
Level 2, XP: 5. Deaths: 3

Active Skills 2/3: Call (level 2), Treasure
Unused Skills 1/3: seer (resist)

Hammerspace: 19 coins, no equipment[/tabs]

.[tabs:*Goska Bluey*]
Davecom3's Goska Bluey
Level 2, XP: 12. Deaths: 2 - Leader Level 1 (2 LP)

Marks: Sign of Goodwill*
Active Skills 3/3: Jump, Rescue, Push
Unused Skills 1/3: Visions
Inventory: 10 / 10 flags, whip, Y-shaped stick

Hammerspace: 4 coins
*Sign of Goodwill:
Heals an ally (including self) for 2 HP, in a radius of 3 movement range. The leader can't perform another main action this turn, and gains 1 XP upon successful heal if the target is someone else.[tabs:Oh See That Shiny]
Theis2's Oh See That Shiny
Level 1, XP: 14. Deaths: 2

Active Skills 2/2: hero(shout), evil(greed)
Unused Skills 0/2:

Hammerspace: 12 coins, sword, Y-stick
[tabs: Questions]
Lee's Questions Everything

Active Skills 0/1:
Unused Skills 0/1:

Hammerspace empty
[tabs: Schnitzel]
BadgeAddict's Supreme High Lord Schnitzel

Active Skills 0/1:
Unused Skills 0/1:

Hammerspace empty[/tabs]

.[tabs:Stumbles around]
GathersIngredients' Stumbles around
Level 2, XP: 8. Deaths: 2

Active Skills 3/3: Rescue, Jump, evil(greed)
Unused Skills 1/3: Visions
Inventory: 13 / 13 flags , boots, frying pan, pointy stick

Hammerspace: 14 coins, 10ft pole
[tabs:Tries-and-Dies]
gamecreator's Tries-and-Dies
Level 1 XP: 14. Deaths: 3

Active Skills 2/2: Call, Jump (level 1)
Unused Skills 0/2:
Inventory: 13 / 13 flags, jacket, trousers, boots, whip

Hammerspace: 6 coins, pebble of teleportation, 10ft pole
[tabs:White Metal]
kida's White Metal (white)
Level 1, XP: 13. Deaths: 1

Active Skills 2 / 2: spelunky(run), hero(return)
Unused Skills 1 / 2: unaligned(+1 pow),
Inventory: 9 / 9 flags

Hammerspace: 5 coins, trousers, flute, sword[/tabs]

You are able to buy things, if you wish. (Shop is still in the resources thread).
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Just one short of the detector. Darn. Well, I guess I'll wait, then. But I will equip my third skill, now that I'm off the map.

► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:59 am

Goska will choose to upgrade so as to cure status. She will buy a candle and a harmonica. She also will switch the Push token out for the Visions token.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:58 am

Shiny will buy a shield, a warm leather jacket, candy and mouldy bread (should be 11 gold) and throw a gold towards Flags mines so he can get his Detector
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:12 am

If I'm understanding how this is done correctly, I will take the extra movement range as my active skill.