DND

Nerre
Game Master

Re: DND

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:13 pm

So if the healing spells come later and nobody takes a healing class, what then? Can we multiclass later? Or does one has to decide to suck in the beginning, so we have a healer later? I don't get how this will work then.

What other classes are there? The link Quarg posted shows far too many to read them all.
:zzz:

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:18 pm

I thought about joining this as a pally.

But I haven't done a "by the numbers" game in so long that I am sure I would be a source of frustration by constantly trying to understand the rules. Also, the group seems pretty big. Also, the presence of a LG character who can not knowingly associate with evil kind of hedges the group from taking those alignments. If I did join the group I wouldnt try to take any central role, but I cant see joining at all if I wasn't a pally. But if I did join, the lay hands would at least give some healing starting at lvl 2.

I guess let me know what you guys think.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Nerre wrote:So if the healing spells come later and nobody takes a healing class, what then? Can we multiclass later? Or does one has to decide to suck in the beginning, so we have a healer later? I don't get how this will work then.

What other classes are there? The link Quarg posted shows far too many to read them all.
Note the change there Nerre due to party size, so clerics are now allowed!
I thought about joining this as a pally.

But I haven't done a "by the numbers" game in so long that I am sure I would be a source of frustration by constantly trying to understand the rules. Also, the group seems pretty big. Also, the presence of a LG character who can not knowingly associate with evil kind of hedges the group from taking those alignments. If I did join the group I wouldnt try to take any central role, but I cant see joining at all if I wasn't a pally. But if I did join, the lay hands would at least give some healing starting at lvl 2.
My history with by the numbers and 3.5 games is old too...
So far we have:
Nerre: Cleric
Bob: Pending Others
Quarg: Duskblade
Thesis???

The Duskblade would work nicely with a Paladin actually...

But have you considered being just a Knight?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060523a
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:52 pm

So it seems we are missing a wizard and a whatever. I think I'm going to be a conjurer (always wanted to play a summoner...), but if theis wants to play the wizard, I will pick something else.

Also Jacon, which variants from here do accept? I'm mostly interested in Rapid Summoning, but the others could be nice as well. I might not take the last one though.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

I think I would want to run a pally rather than a knight based on what I see at that d20 site, but I would possibly be interested in playing a monk if that is another/better fit. My main concerns are the party size, how a LG character would fit in the group, and my being effectively D&D rules-illiterate.

Im interested, but I wouldnt ever suggest that interest should come at the expense of others enjoyment. So I guess I am wondering how Jacon will choose who gets to play and what the group thinks about a rule-unfriendly pally/monk?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:07 pm

SGTdude wrote:I think I would want to run a pally rather than a knight based on what I see at that d20 site, but I would possibly be interested in playing a monk if that is another/better fit. My main concerns are the party size, how a LG character would fit in the group, and my being effectively D&D rules-illiterate.

Im interested, but I wouldnt ever suggest that interest should come at the expense of others enjoyment. So I guess I am wondering how Jacon will choose who gets to play and what the group thinks about a rule-unfriendly pally/monk?
Because this is going to be turn based (I assume) I doubt your questions will be as problematic to us as you imagine...There is an inherant delay in the process no matter if we were all skilled RPGer's....

Also, Pal versus Monk?

I suggest a Pally...cause you should always on a dungeon crawl with a:
► Show Spoiler
(Also, not all Pally variants are Lawful Good...)

Bur recall that the duskblade and monk are close equivalents in many ways...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Quarg wrote: (Also, not all Pally variants are Lawful Good...)
on the same site as that one for the knight I found one for like a chaotic good freedom pally or something but I didnt really understand it.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm fine helping you with the rules and such. If you have questions how to create characters or just general rules let me know. A paladin or monk is fine although being good can be a bit of setback since it's hard to survive out their and being ruthless is a plus. But i'm sure being good will find merits as well.

My friend basicly plays the same conjurer type character. We all hate him cause his turns are soooo freaking long. But thats not really a problem here so those varients are fine as long as you keep track of the animals you summon and their attacks.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:34 am

I've waited a bit trying to see what people were going to play, and so far it seems something with trapfinding is what is needed. Gonna edit in what I find beside the rogue to hear what is possible, but something along those lines or just rogue if I don't find anything usable.

The hoardstealer prestige class, from the dragonomicon.
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:30 am

SGTdude wrote:
Quarg wrote: (Also, not all Pally variants are Lawful Good...)
on the same site as that one for the knight I found one for like a chaotic good freedom pally or something but I didnt really understand it.
Code of Conduct
A paladin of freedom must be of chaotic good alignment and loses all class abilities if he ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, a paladin of freedom's code requires that he respect individual liberty, help those in need (provided they do not use the help for lawful or evil ends), and punish those who threaten or curtail personal liberty
Essentially a Libertarian Paladin, more focused on personal freedom and considers the Law to be a problem...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:52 am

Anybody familiar with 3.5 knows if there are some maybe more universal alternative versions of the default cleric I might better play as healer? Is there some kind of battle priest or something like that maybe?

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am

I was trying to look at some stuff on pally's and saw something for a Warpriest. which may be like what you wanted. I dont know though.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 am

That is a prestige class actually...

Try this guide Nerre...
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?P ... topic=1238

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:22 am

Idont really understand what a prestige class is. So sorry for the bad reference.

Would players in this be responsible for all their own die rolls or would you be doing that Jacon?

Also, it seems like there are alot of specific details that would have to be either memorized or kept on hand (like what feats and skills do exactly, and Im not even looking at the spells :? ), how worried would I need to be about keeping all that straight (or I guess I am asking how "by the rules" this game would be)?

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 am

Sorry guys. When your roll the 4d6s for your abilities removed the smallest one and add the rest togather. Thats your ability score.

SGTdude, thats what the players sheets are for. Holding all your information so you don't have to memorize. Sign up for myth weavers and you cna create your own online sheet.

Also i'll do soem of your rolls such as damage and affects that happen in my dming turn and I could roll for you ( Just have to tell me your bonus and what not.) Or you can roll for yourself since I doubt any of you will lie to me

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 am

@Quarg: Thanks, that one looks good. Will have to read a bit more into it though, could only throw a glimpse at it so far.
@SGTdude:
It is a upgrade for your class. you have to have a specific minimum off attributes, skills and classes to gain it normally. The traits, bonis and so on per level are often better than what more levels in the already gained class would give you.

If you know order of the stick: Elan upgrade his basic class Bard to Dashing swordsman. This adds parts of his charisma to his strength I think, as long as he says witty comments while fighting, beside other stuff.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:04 pm

so are there prestige paladin classes then? or is that just for other classes?

And would there be any benefit to being a multi-class pally?
(look at me talking as though I have even been accepted into the game)

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:06 pm

You can join since Nikhol hasn't posted anything.
Multi class pally isn't suggested since when you leave your class as paladin to be another class you can't go up anymore levels as paladin afterwards.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:14 pm

crap, i had a nother question...

um...

oh yeah. 4d6 drop lowest, what if I dont get high enough scores to make my minimums for the class? (they still have those right?)

Edit: Ok then. I would like to go with a freedom pally I think if that will be allowed. Let me know. Thx

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Your stuck with the scores you roll. Chances are with the 4+ you can add to a score you'll never be in that position though.
Idk much freedom pallies but it should be ok.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:32 pm

I dont know much either, but I am planning on just playing it as a CG pally pretty much with liberty and justice for all, except those who oppose such ideas. Cuz screw those guys.

When do you want people to actually start making characters?

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm working with Nerra currently about his character. If you have questions about character making shoot me a pm or just post here and i'll try to get back to it. Mythweavers is very helpful in making sheets that everyone can view.

Also I don't if their is a mix alignment party. Tends to make more flavored rping. Also PVP is acceptable although i'd be careful with it.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:20 pm

well I really am not trying to pvp, so if somebody wants to play an evil alignment, I will pick another class since having a paladin makes that very difficult. Its no prob. just let me know

EDIT: Also Jacon- I pm'd you about my character and can do some work finishing it tonight if you want.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Weeee....

Well I got some very, very nice rolls...shoulda played the lotto, but here are the current sheet for one Half-Elf Duskblade

Stats: Background:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Quarg on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:12 pm

I will make my character tomorrow, but I would like to know wether or not the hoardstealer prestige class was okay, as I would just use the rogue class at first.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread