Modernized DnD game (recruiting)

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Modernized DnD game (recruiting)

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am

Alright lads and lassies. My last game didn't work out, partly because I had no idea what I was doing, and partly because some other stuff. Anyway, starting a new game. Anyone who was in my last game when it went under gets first dibs on a spot in this game. I'm gonna be looking for about 4-6 players to start. No worries, if all goes well, I have plans to improve and expand the game. This is just a sort of "tutorial" level, for you players and myself. Pretty much just to test drive a few things I'd like to try.

So I saw a few requests in another thread about people wanting a modernized DnD game, and I think I might have something you guys will like. It's still in development, but I almost have enough to play with. If enough people (4-6) say they'd like to play, then I will get the game running as soon as I can (I have a LOT of free time).

Won't say much more here, more details, rules, backstory and whatnot if enough people want to play.
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Re: Modernized DnD game (recruiting)

Post by Borys » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 pm

I want.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:51 am

Are you going to be using D20 modern or?

Anyway, I'm interested.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:45 am

As far as stats go, it's pretty much gonna be standard. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by d20 modern.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Here
I may be interested. Depends on my internship scheduling. I'll have a better idea of my free time after next week.

What edition then?

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:49 am

D20 modern isa specific system that is designed to be played in modern times and the near future.

If you mean you'll be playing a regular editions of D&D set in a modern world, I'm in.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:06 am

Well, I've been reading up on it a bit, and I think what I'll be doing will be similar to the D20 modern. There are a few things I'd like to test out though so it won't be any ruleset exactly.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Modern DnD sounds good enough to me. Orga Strange, reporting for duty sir!
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Ok, glad to see an interest! Well, to give you guys an idea of when this games gonna start, I'm shooting for early December. I only have my phone to post with right now, but I'm planning on getting a laptop fairly soon. So, to keep me busy until then, go ahead and post your characters here.

Everyone will start out as a basic human, with a few stats to arrange. Just post name, appearance, age, stats, and any background info you want. Background info isn't required, but it gives me more to work with. Say, if you have an arch rival due to your background, I can work them into the story.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Hnm. Well, since it's modern, I have two character ideas, really. A doctor and a cop, respectively. I've been toying with the idea of a card slinging con man, but I'd rather see him as a gnome, so I'll save him for another day. C:

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:36 am

I'm going to be Batman a detective probably.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:41 am

Hmm. That may lean me toward the doctor (if we don't get anyone else that could fill that role,) unless you're comfortable with a beat cop looking toward a future lateral transfer to detective.

I'm not 100% sure how I'd roll the cop up. Pathfinder's investigator archetype was really tasty looking, though the doc could be a straight up cloistered cleric. My biggest weakness is I'm bad at making things that don't involve multi classing. :c
The cop himself, though, would gradually become a more Goren type character.
Last edited by Amara on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 pm

Hmm, is there going to be any magic in this setting? Cause I've got this neat idea for a necromancer...
Also, as far as stats go, did you want to take pictures of rolls or something else?
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

DrCinder
Remains Silent

Post by DrCinder » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:03 pm

I am interested in playing if there are still spots open.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:01 am

I am interessted. Which D&D is this? 2, 3, 3.5 or 4? Normally I play the classic 2.
:zzz:

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the patience. I just got done moving into my new apartment, so it won't be until after I get electricity and internet working that I can begin doing regular updates. I'm posting from my phone, so I can give you guys some info. Yes, there will be magic, and I will probably borrow spells from different sources as well as a few homebrew. Same goes with items and a lot of other stuff. I'm using a different playing system, one that slightly modified to male it a bit easier to handle. The actual gameplay will be simplified, as this will be a story as much as a game. I'll be able to explain better on the computer. That being said, you guys can make up at least some basic characters that we can roll stats for later. One thing to keep in mind, a detailed back story isn't required, but it will give me more to work with and keep you involved. For example, say you lived in a comfortable home with your family in post apocalyptic America. Some bandits come by and murder your family (cliches, yes, but you get the idea). I can work the bandits into the storyline. Soon I will get a basic background up for you guys to work with.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm

So, D&D Modern, basic humans only, magic allowed... . I assume magic is rare and secret or recent and sudden? Stats are strength, dex, con, int, wis, chr? What method will you allow for rolling stats (4d6 drop 1, point buy, etc)? Do people need to use a public dice roller and post here, or is it honor system? People are level 1, with base classes from d&d and d&d modern allowed? Are there classes you are going to disallow (psionics)? A lot of those questions strongly affect backstoryish issues. If you are asking people to put out effor to make a char, I for one don't want to see wasted effort due to not knowing the character creation ground rules.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Well, I'm still pretty new to game making, thanks for the heads up. Any good websites you could recommend to give me a better idea of how these things work?

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 pm

These forums have started plenty of games. Some in the Recruiting subforum will show various starts. Basicaly, answer our questions and put yourself in the position of a prospective player, and provide the info they might want.

It has been awhile for myself, but IIRC things like the DMG gave prospective DMs some info on world building. For d&d, there are SRDs online for free which can provide a common resource for classes.

If specifics of classes is too confining or confusing to you, you might instead use a simpler system like ... hell I can't remember what it is called. It just used d6 and stereotypes. A player could have 3d6 in swashbuckling and decide during the game how to use their different stereotypes and how many dice within those types to use up to meet various in game challenges. Things like magic could use a double dice. (I miss the old forums.) Ah, found it: Risus is the system. A game was started with it here: http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=556 One advantage of such a system is you can focus more on storytelling instead of minmaxing and then countering minmaxing.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:59 pm

RISUS is the system you're scrabbling for. Questions ran it for a while.