Cavemen - Survival of the Fittest

Borys
Voices Opinions

Re: Cavemen - Survival of the Fittest

Post by Borys » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:05 am

What about deaths? As you said it is very hard not to pass out in those times... so can the player die? I mean aside of being killed... sickness, cold... can player just get sick and if not threaten (which isn't really common/effective in those times) die? Or without fire... can just player die, because he has no fire in camp during night?
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:14 am

Okay, i wasn't trying to create a voting method on summers and winters, personally i think they can both be used interchangably, and if some people would like to use summers and some winters then it puts people in either one side of the year or the other.

Okay, i see your point... While we would like people to be detailed, we also understand that none of us are experts in the subject. Personally i know nothing about treating skins, so you've taught me something already. So, for complexity of a task, clearly, killing the animal is an important step. skinning it is another important step, for the tough bits that require a ton of research though. I'm perfectly fine with one of two methods. (both of which can be used by anyone), the first method is extremely detailed, if you would like to do the research (which some people fine exciting) and put in the work to make sure that you do everything perfect, then be my guest. The second method is that of remembering the important bits, while ignoring the boring ones. What i mean is as i said above, Step 1, kill the animal, step 2 skin the animal, step three make leather/furs. Basically allowing people to go into as much or as little detail as they want.

And, based on the "point" structure of this game, if you are willing to put research and detail into your post rather than say "I killed the animal and skinned it and made leather" then you would earn more points. So i think our point system allows people to range in the amount of detail they would like to write.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:18 am

Borys wrote:What about deaths? As you said it is very hard not to pass out in those times... so can the player die? I mean aside of being killed... sickness, cold... can player just get sick and if not threaten (which isn't really common/effective in those times) die? Or without fire... can just player die, because he has no fire in camp during night?
Okay, good questions folks, we're happy to answer them (within reason and without giving away too much)

So, death, can a player die, yes, will they? well, that depends completely on you. You are the master of the fates young boro. This is partially how it is left up to the player to play. Although problems and issues will arise, we're relying on you the player to write out your life. So a large answer to will you die is, will you kill yourself. ...but remember, if you do kill yourself off, please make it glorious.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:27 am

Also I'd like to reiterate the lack of metal at this point in the game, so pins and brooches are less likely to be available as there's no real way to gain ore, form ore into raw metal and then manipulate that metal into tiny needles and pins. However, there are bone needles and things, for sewing (edit: and you could probably carve bone "pins" but they wouldn't really have fastenings, they'd just be nearly-closed circles). As for skinning and tanning hides - that's actually the main thing my (as-yet unposted) character does, and a lot of the knowledge of that sort of thing would be passed down from generation to generation anyway. You will not be short of materials for clothing, bedding, shelter - I'm pretty sure that getting everything they could out of a kill was something that ancient people were bloody good at, even if it was in a rudimentary way.

When it comes to food sources - I'd say that everyone has some rudimentary knowledge of what is and what isn't poisonous, passed down from their parents in the same way. But as to what you can actually find, it'll be a case of wait and see. We will tell you plenty during the course of the game, but at the outset, you've just arrived into a new area and you really don't know what you're going to find. You can look in areas your character might know to look (eg fish in the river, mushrooms in the forest, etc) and we might make hints towards things that you -could- discover with time (eg your subterranean animals - we might say "there are fresh droppings by a hole in your cave, but the night-watcher saw nothing enter from the main entrance"). You will obviously know what you can and can't handle with your own player common sense, but really what you can manage all depends on how many points you have and how many points you spend. If you do a grandiose and awesome action of diving off a stone outcropping to land on the back of an unsuspecting mammoth and stab it critically through the spinal cord, bringing it down by yourself in one hit... it's going to cost you a heck of a lot of points, probably all of them, but you can do it. If you do it over and over again, you'll run out of points but we'll probably also call you out for being unrealistic.

Not long now til we start - hopefully the opening post will give you guys a good place to start, and we can work out the kinks along the way. Neither of us have run a game like this before so we might miss things, but I hope it'll be a good time anyway and you can always PM us with feedback at any point. We want this to be fun for everyone (including us) so if you think you can help us out with feedback or notes, please do.
Last edited by nikohl on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:13 am

Yeah, I didn't necessarily mean that the pins, needles or brooches, etc. of our tribe would be made from metal, at all. There's lots of materials (or even some combination thereof) they could be made of. Bone, rock, wood, fired clay ...
Sorry for not writing that down explicitly.

I have been meaning to ask, but forgot:
What season will the game start in?
Is agriculture/gardening something the tribe at least has heard about?
Also, what do people cook their stuff in/on? Just stick meat onto a pointy stick and hold it over a fire?

And yay! on bonus points for being detailed/conducting research, but not making it a necessity. :cheer:
I might want to look into various topics a bit, but I might not always find the time (or the motivation) for it.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:17 am

Why no metal? Copper can appear in it's natural, pure state and can be easily made into functional shapes like axes, arrowheads and tools and such with no advanced knowledge. It is thought that this is the beginning of metallurgy. All you need is a nugget of copper, a source of low heat and water and a rock to hammer it.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:31 am

Yes, I did think afterwards how you probably meant non-metal pins, Gathers, sorry! I've edited my post to reflect that :) I am sure that decorative items were produced, humans have always liked adornment. Bone jewelry and such.

The starting season will be Summer. You have "discovered"/invented clay and understand that baking it in a fire makes it strong, so I imagine you can have clay pots for such things as stew, but probably a pointy stick system for cooking meat/fish. Or a spit:

I don't think you have really considered gardening/growing food as a thing yet, you're still at the "hunter/gatherer" stage. With no calendar and a limited ability to study or practice (while spending most of your time on survival) you might have struggled to learn or understand that planting seeds at X time and leaving them for Y length of time will produce more plants. But it's totally doable in the middle/long term - maybe that's something that the tribe can work on, if they decide to stick around in one area for long enough...and have the right equipment :)

Bean: We're not using "ages" because some things will be anachronistic if we do, but the closest thing to the "age" the game is in, is the Stone Age. Copper and Bronze weren't widely discovered/used yet.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Alright, double-post because I said I'd put up a list of things that the NPCs were carrying. Here's the deal! This list isn't quite final.

I will take suggestions until tomorrow, for three more items that they have. Post here.

Rules are: It has to be something one person can carry unaided, and it has to be something they'd realistically have. You can duplicate items that are already on the list (eg: more spears) We will pick from the list before the game starts.

Effects brought with the tribe:
NPCs:
Each adult has a waterskin, the clothes theyÔÇÖre wearing, and a sling bag or 'backpack'
Two adults have hammers
Two adults have spears
Two adults have stone knives
The Chief carries the Tribe Totem, which is a large knife made of star metal with a decorative ivory handle, plus his spear.
The ChiefÔÇÖs Wife carries ÔÇ£birthing essentialsÔÇØ - tiny knife, thin clean doehide blanket, olive oil, medicinal herbs and swaddling.

Carried among everyone are also:
4 Pelts (One each of bear, sabrecat, elk, zebra: tied into ÔÇÿparcelsÔÇÖ with vine)
Bag of Knucklebones (game brought by one of the children without a parent seeing)
Dried meats and fruits (Enough for emergency rations for a few days, will keep)

So, feel free to submit your requests for the extra three items now.
Last edited by nikohl on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:17 pm

I'd say extra food from a good hunt, one or two slings if we're smart enough to use them, and several leaves or "paper" of some kind to record the tribe's history.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:19 pm

I don't believe there's writing yet - probably pictures, cave paintings, charcoal-on-bark and so on, but most history/tradition is oral at this stage.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Ideas from a watcher. Don't read if you don't want to know.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Oh I guess our talking is coloured to better tell action and conversation apart so dips onThis colour!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:18 am

nikohl wrote:Yes, I did think afterwards how you probably meant non-metal pins, Gathers, sorry! I've edited my post to reflect that :) I am sure that decorative items were produced, humans have always liked adornment. Bone jewelry and such.

The starting season will be Summer. You have "discovered"/invented clay and understand that baking it in a fire makes it strong.
[...]
I don't suppose you meant 'you' = Min, specifically with that, but I just have to ask. Did you? :lol:
Because if you did, then I would be perfectly willing to rewrite that description of hers, removing the shoe idea for this. o:)

Suggestions for what else our tribe could have with them:
fire making kit (e.g. flints and tinder. Or fire bow and tinder. Or whatever method we use.)
guard dog/wolf
live stock (if animal husbandry is already a thing)
axe and/or saw (for wood gathering, processing and/or carving)
crafting tools (to make other tools and/or weapons)
sewing kit (needle and thread, etc.)
(war) paint
more medicinal herbs (not only specific to childbirth) and/or alcohol if available
rope/tying materials
shovel (if available)
blanket/sleeping bag/tent/furs/bedding/stretcher (which ever is available) for at least one person, in case someone gets sick or wounded (though I suppose we could use the 4 hides that we have, anyways, for that...)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:07 am

I'll take this color for Ril's speech. #00BFFF
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:12 am

BadgeAddict
Name: Yarl
Profession: Small game hunter, Musician
Description: Yarl is short compared to most of the others in the tribe, though the many summers of running and climbing has given his arms and legs a strong supple look he still lacks the height to be anything but laughed at. His deep brown hair flows down his back and is tied into place by a leather thong. His attitude is that of cheerfulness on most days, though he is often found getting into arguments with his sister. Sadly, he is normally on the losing side of such arguments as he has yet to reach the growth spurt that he has been waiting all of his life for.
Story: At just 12 Winters old, Yarl is one of the last two surviving members of his family, who were brutally slain by the warriors that destroyed the old village. Having grown up without a mother and by being raised by his father, Yarl has all the makings of a headstrong young brute, except heÔÇÖs short. He has a twin sister Yala, who he holds a close love/hate relationship with and although he often pokes fun at her he guards her fiercely (though he would never admit to this if asked). He is quite handy at the sling and can take down small game such as rabbits and birds with a well placed rock. When he is not hunting, Yarl enjoys playing his bone flute. While he is not as good as his father, who carved it for him, he continues to practice in the hopes of becoming just as proficient with it.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 am

Name: Yala
Profession: Clothing maker/repairer
Description: Yala is quite tall for a girl, and years spent ÔÇ£keeping up with the boysÔÇØ has made her strong and tough. She has not yet filled out and is wiry and lean. Her long dark brown hair is something she takes care of in private, but is more often than not rolled up and hidden under a crude hat made from the fur of a rabbit, complete with long ears. She was often mistaken for her brother before she took to wearing the hat, something that deeply annoyed her, thus she wears it daily now.

Story: Yala and her twin brother Yarl were raised by their father, when their mother died shortly after childbirth. They escaped from the old village together but their father did not. Throughout the journey to their new home the pair have been at each otherÔÇÖs throats, as always, however they do share a deep bond and look out for one another in their own way. Yala is easily annoyed by many things, and especially annoyed by her proficiency with bone needle and thread. She was originally left with the older women of the tribe to learn, as it is a womanÔÇÖs job to prepare food or prepare clothes. She sulked for a long time, refusing to learn and protesting that she was just as good as any of the boys, but eventually she gave in, resigned herself to her ÔÇ£jobÔÇØ and found herself quite talented at making and repairing the hide and fur clothes worn by the tribe. One of the first things she made was her hat, and she is rarely seen without it now. She has recently developed an interest in painting, having watched many of the elders in the tribe do it - she spent many nights on their recent journey mixing mud and spit and drawing on any surface she could find - rocks, leaves...Yarl.

--

(All this mention of "escape"... dun dun duuuun... all will be revealed tomorrow though. Still time to vote for extra starting equipment, though the location vote is now LOCKED - caves won 5 to 3, Badge and I did not get a vote.)

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 am

I will use #804000 for my speech.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Name: Gareth.
Profession: Animal tamer/hunter.
Hobbies: Animal taming, wrestling and tea making.
Looks: Tall skinny man with a bald head and scars that cover every inch of his body. His pinky and next finger are missing as if they had been bitten off. Often tired or grumpy looking with his age becoming more noticeable.

Background:
Gareth is a strange man. In his middle age he left the village suddenly and without a word. The village was not surprised as Gareth was a mysterious loner of man who choose to keep to himself even with the close vicinity of the tribe.. For some it even meant a relief of sorts for Gareth was often angry and known to get into fights with the other youths that would often lead to injuries that would last for weeks. Ten years later Gareth returned less tempered and with a baby wolf club. Those who were old enough to remember him were surprised by both his sudden appearance and the state of his body which was covered in terrible scars. When questioned about his scars they remembered why they had been relieved to see the back of him for Gareth launched himself into a fight with the questioner and two of his buddies. Though they soundly beat him they were all left with a bruise or two to remember him by and no more curiosity about his old wounds ( Not to mention a few bite marks on their ankles from the young wolf cub.) Rumors have abounded about his scars when he is not in earshot. Many think he might have been a soldier in some warlords army or perhaps a lone raider on tribes. None have been brave enough to question it further especially since the wolf cub is getting bigger every day. It has also been said that Gareth has a secret stash of treasure from his adventuring days for the first day he arrived he was carrying a large sack. It could have easily been just food but once people get an idea in their head it sticks. No one has ever seen the treasure and Gareth ignores anyone who brings it up.

It surprises no one that Gareth had managed to find and keep alive a wolf cub. He had always a way with beasts. Even as a child he had roamed vicious saber cat territory without fear and stared down bears and survived. He seemed to have a kinder heart for animals than for people and seem to understand them better. Still one cannot notice the many obvious claw scars amongst his wounds that suggest not all encounters with animals were friendly.

Gareth is an able hunter, not the best or the fastest but a capable one. The one thing he is known for is patience when in the hunt. He will wait days for the right moment to bring in a massive kill. He does have physical skill that sets him apart from the stronger and faster warriors and that his wrestling and hand to hand combat abilities. Though he can easily be overpowered he has a steel will that will make him last through the pain until the other grows tired and than he'll use his experience to beat down the younger warrior/hunter.

Gareth is known for making the best tea in the village though he rarely shares it. He has a dislike for people for people seems exceeded only by his love for animals. He'll tolerate members of his tribes but he has deep hatred for anyone outside of it. He's dislike of people has even lead him to live a small distance away from the village so he can enjoy " some decent peace and quiet for a change." As he put it.

Gareth is an elder but rarely does anyone go to him for advice.

Gareth's wolf cub is called Ajax and is male. He is a big fat brute of a wolf with a thicker skull than normal. Very loyal to Gareth and often cuddles next to him when he is sitting. However despite the obvious affection he lays on Gareth he dislikes other people and tolerates them only on Gareths command. People often fear getting to close for he'll sometimes leap and snap at them only to be called back by Gareth in the nip of time.

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Welcome to our last starting character, Gareth!

Cavemen will remain open for signups indefinitely, but anyone joining after this date will need to PM us to get things moving. You will probably just promote an unnoticed NPC into a Character role, but that's not your only option, technically :)

Because it's getting late for me here and Badge and I have decided to run a game together while living in completely different timezones (>.<) we're going to go ahead and post the Starting Post now. Begin when you like, as the main thing that you will be doing is posting your characters arriving at their new home. Do a bit of roleplaying, don't worry too much about spending points immediately. Go look at the main thread! It's live :D

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Ah, Mucks age! Muck is 16.

I'll be using #004000

I'm going to wait for the actual introduction/story post before making my first post.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:11 am

But... that's it! The arrival at the caves is the start of the game.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 am

You may have to look at the first post again if you didn't realise it have been edited yet :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread