The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting)

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting)

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:37 pm

The Unhallowed Isle

Please be aware that I've only run a few RPs and games before, so I am still somewhat inexperienced.

Backstory

This island isn't what you'd hoped to find. Maybe you'd been shipwrecked as you sailed the waters around it, and woken up on the sandy beaches. Maybe you'd fled onto it to escape the war that was consuming your home, a war that spread far and wide. Maybe you just woke up here one day, not entirely sure how it happened and wondering if you'd been teleported in your sleep. Whatever the case, this isle had appeared very promising when you first looked at it, and the fate of being trapped on it didn't seem too bad compared to the alternatives. It appeared to be a nice little tropical island, although with warning signs such as the apparent lack of humans on it. Only after you'd spent a while on it had you seen that something was wrong on it. There were powers on it, and a lot of them seemed hostile. The dead walk the land by night, not resting until the sun comes up. Fiends rise from the mountain in the center of the land and wander, searching for people to kill and devour the very spirits of. Nothing is safe.

Fortunately, whatever was creating the demons and the dead saw fit as to grant you powers of your own, powers that let you fight these creatures. You found that you had supernatural powers, ones that you hadn't had the day before you reached the island.

All the same, you found yourself driven into the village in the center of the jungle that covers one part of the isle. There are few of you, but you all had the same story. You all found yourself here, found yourself with powers, and then tried to get by. And now, all of you need to stay together if you want to survive to get off of this evil island, whatever it truly is.

Now we shall see... Will you prevail? Or will you become one of the walking dead around the isle?

Gameplay

This game is an experiment. It's essentially a roleplay combined with very simple game rules, set on an unholy isle. Everyone is a sorcerer of some variety, all in a small village on the isle, and all of you are struggling to get by.

Here's how to get started: Create a character by assigning 30 points to the following statistics:
  • Strength: Physical power. The stronger the character, the more damage their attacks do and the more hitpoints they have.
  • Agility: Reflexes and speed. The more agile the character, the better their chances for dodging and the more stamina they have.
  • Vitality: Toughness and endurance. The tougher the character, the more hitpoints and stamina points they have.
  • Will: Willpower and mental endurance. The stronger the will, the more resistance to spells and mental attacks a character has.
  • Charm: Force of personality. The more charming the character, the more likeable they are, and the harder their spells are to resist.
  • Intelligence: Magical power and mental strength. The smarter the character, the better their capacity for magic is.
Then, determine hitpoints and stamina points (HP and SP). These will be equal to your strength+vitality and agility+vitality, respectively. Then, determine mana points (MP) by putting your intelligence down.

Then, decide on some spells to have. Your character 1 spell for each point of intelligence they have. These starting spells should have flexible power (and just general rules for what they effect, not how strongly they affect it) for several reasons. The first is that if their power is flexible, then even if someone throws in a storm of leaves and another person a fireball, their power can still be balanced out by making the storm of leaves more powerful than the fireball. The second is that each spell can be cast using any amount of mana from 1 to your maximum mana, and so the power should be able to increase with each point of mana spent.

Battle happens in turns in this game, with each side getting a turn (the order of turns within a side isn't set, and so the first one to post gets to have their action first). A character may attack, defend, move, cast a spell, or perform some similar action each turn. They may spend stamina points to help with physical activities.

Over time, characters will level up. They essentially get to improve one stat by 1 point and get 1 extra HP, MP, and SP when that happens.

Please then submit your character with name, basic description, and backstory included. The world off of the island is a combination of various different time periods, as there's enough war that technology doesn't get shared, so as long as your character's not from a place past colonial times, they should be fine.

If anyone has any rule suggestions or thoughts or questions, please feel free to post them. I'm interested in making this game as fun for everyone as possible.

EDIT: Map of the isle so far:
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Loyal Backstabber on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Re: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting)

Post by Borys » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:32 am

Sounds good, I can try.
Name: Boro
Description: Young, male human. Terrible scars crossing his face, no nose. Dressed in white and blue sailors clothes.
Backstory: Came to the island with one of the ships, where he was cook's helper. From early childhood he was showing great interest towards fire. He could spent hours watching things burning. Because of general poorness of his hometown, he enlisted for the travelers ship at the age of 16. Illness and mutinies taken many of sailors, but he was lucky to stay alive. Not without price, scares made his face hideous. When he came to the island he discovered new, previously unknown abilities, mostly connected with fire. Soon he left former comrades and started exploring island. After many days he saw his destination. Little village in the middle of the jungle. That could be start of his new life.

Strength: 3
Agility: 6
Vitality: 6
Will: 6
Charm: 3
Intelligence: 6

HP: 9
SP: 12
MP: 6

Spells:
1. Fireball (attack stronger with every MP)
2. Firewall (defense better with every MP)
3. Cure (cures more HP with every MP)
4. Escape (teleports away from battle, the more MP the bigger distance)
5. Dragon power (creates fire-thrower-like effect coming from mage's mounth with length depending on amount of MP used)
6. Scare enemy (makes Boro's head looking like it's on fire and his scars even more twisted. How scary it really is? Depends on MP of course.)
Last edited by Borys on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:44 am

Alright, he looks good so far.
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:47 am

I don't have too much ideas for spells.

I'm also afraid everybody are too concerned about new LAYF's game to notice this one. You have chosen bad day for opening recruitment, but I hope soon some others will join.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:57 am

Well, for spells, you can also try some enchantments (the classic bonuses and curses are always good, but there are also a lot of other enchantments that could make things more interesting, such as transformations or mind-affecting spells or similar), or have things that affect the area in various ways (creating a wall of fire over a small area, for example), as there are a lot more of those. Those are the sorts of spells I'd try, at any rate, as there are almost always a few that fit anyone's theme and they're usually useful.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:44 am

Hmm.. this does sound interesting...
a few notes.. the way you describe the actions one can take in ones turn, this really sound like something that should have a board or a battle grid to be played on... is this something you have considered?
also, flexible powers! Cool.. I've always loved that.. if people need ideas HERE is a list from the game that probaly have the biggest free form magic system of all current RP systems... just ignore those that are "modern" themed... hope that helps :)
I might make a character for this.. but I need to think it through first.... :)
-Best regards LAYF

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:04 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Hmm.. this does sound interesting...
a few notes.. the way you describe the actions one can take in ones turn, this really sound like something that should have a board or a battle grid to be played on... is this something you have considered?
also, flexible powers! Cool.. I've always loved that.. if people need ideas HERE is a list from the game that probaly have the biggest free form magic system of all current RP systems... just ignore those that are "modern" themed... hope that helps :)
I might make a character for this.. but I need to think it through first.... :)
I'm definitely considering a battle grid. It would be interesting to see how people handle tactics in a situation like that, especially with spells that do things like create obstructions or area spells.

I used flexible powers primarily because it means that there's more strategy involved to using the right combination and in figuring out how to defeat or counter new, unfamiliar powers.

Take your time to consider it. Even when I start it, it'll probably be open for a fair while afterwards, because it's very easy to write in someone as either living in the village or as having wound up there somehow or other. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 am

Name: Dietro (Dee-et-ro)
Description: Caucasian male, 24, sandy blond hair, pearly white grin almost always present on his face, deep blue eyes. Average in height and slim of build.

History: Dietro was a member of a band of performers, the musician of the group. In essence, a bard, bar the near-magical ability to inspire awe and fear. Capable of playing many instruments, he was particularly skilled with the lyre and lute, two stringed instruments, and studied the method of making them, should his own be damaged. Often it was said that Dietro was blessed to have such skill with instruments, and for the most part he was treated as though he had truly been touched by the gods, leading to a lighthearted view of the world, though not an irresponsible one. Unfortunately for Dietro, those who did not treat him well despised him, and there were those who would see him gone. After one night of performing, with the camp set up on a beach, he awoke on a raft, in the middle of nowhere, a single point of land visible. The island.

Strength: 3
Agility: 7
Vitality: 3
Will: 4
Charm: 6
Intelligence: 7

HP: (3+3)=6
SP: (7+3)=10
MP=7

Spells:
1. Haunting Refrain; Unsettling music seems to come forth from the distance, putting foes on edge, distracting them from their aggression (Slightly reduces attack power). (More MP for greater duration)
2. Electric Slide; Send a bolt of lighting singing from the caster's fingers, pushing the caster and the target apart and dealing damage. (More MP leads to more repulsion and greater range)
3. Let's Rock; The ground trembles beneath the feet of combatants in a small area, making combat and movement somewhat difficult (Effects both enemies and allies within the area). (More MP for greater area)
4. Roguish Charm; The caster makes himself appear to be less threatening, causing foes to see him as less of a threat, and potential allies as trustworthy. (More MP gives greater chance of being effective)
5. Saga of the Ancients; The Saga of the Ancients is a tale of heroism unmatched by any mortal, as a group known as the Ancients strive to protect all else. Unfortunately, at the time of writing poets, bards, and performers in general, were not so skilled as they are now, and the saga is rather lengthy and confusing. (Chance to confuse enemies within a radius of the caster, the caster may not perform any other actions while performing the Saga) (More MP for greater burst radius)
6. Ballad of the Bar Brawler; a performance often greatly enjoyed by patrons of taverns and bards, though less so by the owners of said establishments, as the excitement of the tale often leads to patrons being rather inclined to brawl. (Increases offensive and defensive capabilities of allies). (More MP enhances buff)
7. Calming Melody; A relaxing tune, played to ease weary bodies and minds to rest soundly. (heals allies over an extended period of time, slower than direct curative spells take effect, but over the full amount of time, more effective) (More MP for either longer period of healing, or faster rate. Each extra point of MP can be designated to faster or longer healing)

I want to go with the bardic path, but at the same time, I'm trying to ensure all of the spells are balanced. Though balance isn't something I am good at, so if there are changes you want to be made, I'm willing to make them.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:37 am

Dlover, I think those are a great thematic selection of spells.
(debuff atk, ranged attack, AOE dex check, charisma buff, confusion, atk and def buff, heal buff)
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:13 am

He looks fine to me. Welcome aboard!

EDIT: Oh, and here is a map of the village. Each house has an ID, as you can see. If anyone wants their character to have a specific house, they should give the ID of the house they want. It's mostly not too important, but if anyone has a preference, they should claim the house.
townmap_numbers.png
And yes, I realize the trees don't line up exactly. I was using pattern fill, and I forgot that they were small compared to the tiles, so there's a slight offset. However, I didn't realize it until it was too late, and I didn't feel like redoing the map from scratch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Yay! I actually made a good character! Really damn rare occurrence here.

I think Dietro would want house 3B. Close to the well and river for fresh water, and close to the centre of town of any meetings.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Okay, you've reserved that one.

We still have plenty of room, people, so come on by! I'm aiming for 5+ people, but starting with 3-4 people would also work.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 pm

3B is my preferred house.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 am

Unfortunately, that one is already taken by Dlover. Sorry.

With any luck, we'll still be able to get new players even though the forum was taken offline for so long. I guess we'll have to see.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:02 am

I'm taking 2B and creating a character in a moment when my food is finished (going to just edit this post)

Name: Basher
Description: Tall, young male, a rather large body with various scars across it mostly from claws. Dressed mostly in pelts from animals.
Background: Basher was part of a small tribe that lived in a snowy region. It was a harsh life and they hardly had more than sticks and stones to help them. Most of his life have been spent in the hunting crew searching for food for the tribe. One expedition had taken them near the shore and they found them self captured by unkown humans. They were held in cages and brought up on a boat along with several other people from other places. One night, one of the captives began casting spells that warped the cages enough to get people out of them. A fight broke out against the captives and the kidnappers, but was relatively short with the captives ending up victorious. Basher just didn't fit in well with most of the new and unkown people and was "accidently" thrown off the ship once an island was in sight.

HP 20
SP 12
MP 3

ÔÇóStrength: 10
ÔÇóAgility: 2
ÔÇóVitality: 10
ÔÇóWill: 4
ÔÇóCharm: 1
ÔÇóIntelligence: 3

Spells:
1: Call for the spirits; A war cry that summons the help from the ancestors healing the caster
2: Roar of the bear; Increases the casters and close allies resistance to damage (temporary hp or increased dodge chance maybe?)
3: Closed mind; Increases targets resistance to spells that doesn't deal damage. (Charms and illusion and the like)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Huh. A more physical character. This should be interesting.

Accepted, and house reserved.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 pm

back from the holidays, i will have a look at this since 2 of the games I played stopped. I hope I got 1-2 more days to get up to date with the curernt game and forum situation. :)

I would gladly fill any gap in the group diversity and take a random spot.
:zzz:

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm certainly going to have this open for a total of two weeks at the least, and we've barely gone past one so far, so there's still plenty of time. Not to mention the fact that people will still be able to easily join after it starts, at least at first. You don't really need to worry too much about group diversity right now, since we're so far pretty balanced, so I'd recommend just playing whatever kind of character you want to.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Theis2 wrote:Background: Basher was part of a small tribe that lived in a snowy region. It was a harsh life and they hardly had more than sticks and stones to help them.

Spells:
1: Call for the spirits; A war cry that summons the help from the ancestors healing the caster
2: Roar of the bear; Increases the casters and close allies resistance to damage (temporary hp or increased dodge chance maybe?)
3: Closed mind; Increases targets resistance to spells that doesn't deal damage. (Charms and illusion and the like)
What about a couple of additional spells?
endure elements
resist cold
breathe water

It just seems to me like 1 or more of those fits your story, and makes you slightly more well rounded.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:What about a couple of additional spells?
endure elements
resist cold
breathe water

It just seems to me like 1 or more of those fits your story, and makes you slightly more well rounded.
Problem is, I can't select more spells without increasing my intelligence though I have considered just having a charm score of 0 and maybe just 3 in will and add those to int.
But yeah those would be fitting.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Remember that you'll be able to get extra intelligence when you level up, which would give you an extra spell.

Also, I'm thinking of having a combat system with 3 action types. Does this seem overcomplicated or odd? Here's a list of the action types.
  1. Short actions: 3/turn. Moving 10 feet, casting a very quick spell, using a simple item, or similar counts as one.
  2. Normal actions: Costs 2 short actions. Using more complicated items, casting your average spell, focusing on defence, attacking, or similar counts as one.
  3. Long actions: Takes up an entire round. Using complicated machinery, casting really long spells, and similar counts as one.
I'm also thinking that you can only use your short actions to move or cast quick spells if you're attacking. Quick spells are mainly spells that do things like grant you benefits to your next dodging attempt or similar. Really long spells are spells that you have to devote your entire focus to casting, such as spells that let you scry on people or other similarly time-consuming things.

We don't have to do things this way, but I think it might be more interesting. Any objections?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:51 am

I'm cool with that set up. So, for Dietro:
Spells 1, 2 and 3 would be normal actions;
Spell 4 might be a short action (as it is an effect which applies only to himself and isn't certain to work);
Spells 5, 6 and 7 would be long actions (Originally I was thinking 5 and 6 would probably work out to be multi-turn spells, but this works better);
My game:

My characters:

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:21 pm

I meant 3D, I just wasn't thinking at the moment.
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Okay, house reserved.

Looking back, I probably should have had 0 as a valid number part of the house code. As it is, I accidentally made a 3D house.

Oh, and Dlover, yeah, those spell lengths seem pretty good. Roguish Charm is a sort of subtle effect that seems like it wouldn't take much time to use, so yes, it'll probably be a short action.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:38 am

I don't really see how starting at 0 would make an important difference.
My game:

My characters: