Play the GM; Cold night, Dark day! (Sign-up and BGÔÇÖs here)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Play the GM; Cold night, Dark day! (Sign-up and BGÔÇÖs here)

Post by LAYF » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 pm

NO.. I... I do not GM a new game... please read before going nuclear ;)

Inspired by the epic coolness of LSNÔÇÖs Ninja RP thread, here comes:
Play the GM
Cold night, Dark day!

Why:
► Show Spoiler
What:
► Show Spoiler
Sign-up:
► Show Spoiler
What is in this world:
► Show Spoiler
what is NOT in this world:
► Show Spoiler

Fluff and Flavor:
ÔÇ£Daddy daddy!ÔÇØ Simons scream awakens his parents...
ÔÇ£It is you he calls toÔÇØ Simons mom says lazy and pushes her husband out of the bed..
ÔÇ£Simon, go back to bed. There is nothing to be scared ofÔÇØ his father says sleepy as he walks down the corridor from his own bedroom towards his sons...
ÔÇ£Simon do you hear me?ÔÇØ Slowly he opens the door...
ÔÇ£Simon?... where are you... Stop hiding.. You should lay in your bed...
Simon?ÔÇØ A hollow *Dunk* sounds through the house...
ÔÇ£SIMON!!!!!... Dorathris come quickÔÇØ
Simons mother, awakened by her husbandÔÇÖs scream come running into her sonÔÇÖs bedroom, only to find her husband sitting on the floor in front of their 5 year old sons bed! With disbelieve and horror painted in his eyes, he holds up the sons favorite teddy bear, its arm has been torn clean of, and blood is all over it ÔÇ£Call 911ÔÇØ Is all he can say...

So.. what happened to Simon?
The buggy man happened!
Him or one of the other thousands of monsters that goes bump not only in the night, but sometimes in broad daylight.

In the huge city Seaheaven, itÔÇÖs not just robbers and murders that stalk the night.

The creepy clown that stalks that abandoned circus down at the docks? He is in fact a vampire that hopes that some teenagers will be dumb enough to get down there from time to time.

The drug dealer down the corner sells drugs that ensure that you have nightmares that his master, a shadow demon can feast upon, in return for granting him non human powers.

Old mister OÔÇÖBrian have always smiled at the kids when they walked home from school. The parents in the neighborhood is sure he is a child abductor, what they donÔÇÖt know is that the truth is much worse.
It all begins...
ItÔÇÖs the 4th of July, the clock approaches midnight, and all awaits the fireworks. The colors, the sounds, all the anticipation and excitement, and off cause... who would hear a scream over the sound of all the joy?

ItÔÇÖs the 4th 2010, The clock is 2355.

Any questions? Ask them here....
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Re: Play the GM; Cold night, Dark day! (Sign-up and BGÔÇÖs her

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 pm

This looks cool, but the Charlie game continuation was already creeping me out. There is no way I will play this. Even though I might actualy be good at it.

Do you see all the dots above the "i"'s blink?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 pm

I'll give this a shot. Love love love love love me some horror. Serious horror. Oh yes..... :evil:

I'll sign up. Character coming in later, just like to reserve the spot. And I have some questions

How will you (we?) balance the game between low point characters and extremely high point ones?

Is there a primary conflict in the game or is it more or less freeform? Will we get hints as to what story lines we can follow?

Are we GMs in our own storylines of our creation? Like I say my character knows of an ancient artifact at the wharf so I would be the primary GM in that storyline? Or do you mean that a 'player' would post, then any GM could claim that post and then advance that storyline in their GM post. Then the players would respond to the GM post and back and forth.

Can we just freely modify stories as we go? Say I don't want the evil clown to be a vampire but a demon pretending to be a vampire so we try to fight it like a vampire but the normal techniques don't work on it, could I just do that or should I tell someone my idea or?

Did you mean Boogy Man or Buggy Man? Could be a translation thing.

No aliens? WTF? Aliens are scary as balls. We could (and should) safely nix the spaceships but man... lots of opportunities for horror with aliens.

Am I just poorly understand this whole thing? Should I enter before I understand? Probably not but I live the gangsta life.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:This looks cool, but the Charlie game continuation was already creeping me out. There is no way I will play this. Even though I might actualy be good at it.
Yea... I figured some would not want to play, with the high horror.. but.. I like horror :D
ThroughTheWell wrote:Do you see all the dots above the "i"'s blink?
Nope... but my guess is that I have made a lot of "i"'s instead of "I"'s? or...
BeanDip wrote:I'll give this a shot. Love love love love love me some horror. Serious horror. Oh yes..... :evil:
Great.. I'm not alone anymore :D
BeanDip wrote:I'll sign up. Character coming in later, just like to reserve the spot. And I have some questions
I'll read them....
BeanDip wrote:How will you (we?) balance the game between low point characters and extremely high point ones?
Well.. the game is in one city, but that don't mean players meat each other.. but if/when they do, or just for the feel of it... Weaknesses, mostly..
Simply put, Humans, while weak compared to most super natural beings, have the over hand of not having any specific weaknesses, sun light, silver, circles of salt.. so mostly... as GM's look into the downside of being a supernatural being to balance things out...
BeanDip wrote:Is there a primary conflict in the game or is it more or less freeform? Will we get hints as to what story lines we can follow?
There is a primary conflict in the city, and hints will be dropped along the way(in the time updates mostly), but the city is easily big enough that players can chose to avoid it altogether and run there own little play...
BeanDip wrote:Are we GMs in our own storylines of our creation? Like I say my character knows of an ancient artifact at the wharf so I would be the primary GM in that storyline? Or do you mean that a 'player' would post, then any GM could claim that post and then advance that storyline in their GM post. Then the players would respond to the GM post and back and forth.
You are GM in your own story line two, in that you are allowed to define what you know and don't know, chose how you use your powers, or even what opponents do... It's all up to how you write your updates... for instance, you can write:
1) "as I walk down the stairs, I spot a man in gray, I lift my revolver and fire, the bullet lands perfectly between his eyes.."
This leaves the one who responds to your story with a few options.. the man is dead (unless supernatural) but the noise might attract others? it was the wrong target.. all sorts of things.
2) or you could write it more open ended like: "as I walk down the stairs, I spot a man in gray, I lift my revolver and fire at his head"
This leaves it up to the one who respond to decide if you hit! If you kill him and if not, how he reacts at you shooting at you....
BeanDip wrote:Can we just freely modify stories as we go? Say I don't want the evil clown to be a vampire but a demon pretending to be a vampire so we try to fight it like a vampire but the normal techniques don't work on it, could I just do that or should I tell someone my idea or?
Yes you can, as long as something has not been ironed, you can modify it, but you cannot "remove stuff" say in the case of the evil clown.. everyone thinks he is a vampire, so the pushes him out into the sun. but he don't burn, he grows a tail and leather wings and start to hiss. okay. but then you cannot later claim him to be a normal clown.
On the other hand, as long as there are no evidence that he is a vampire or demon, you could have it all be just rumors, and show that he is in fact just an evil crazy clown.
BeanDip wrote:Did you mean Boogy Man or Buggy Man? Could be a translation thing.
I have no idea... the one who lives under kids beds on in the closet.. the scary one :S
BeanDip wrote:No aliens? WTF? Aliens are scary as balls. We could (and should) safely nix the spaceships but man... lots of opportunities for horror with aliens.
Well... Its mostly that aliens, as in "from outer space" also tends to bring with them the super tec.. off cause, if your aliens are long decedents of stranded aliens, and have no technology or anything sure.. toss them in there :)
BeanDip wrote:Am I just poorly understand this whole thing? Should I enter before I understand? Probably not but I live the gangsta life.
Hehe.. You can enter safely.. I'm horrible at explaining some times :P
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:49 pm

BeanDip wrote:I'll give this a shot. Love love love love love me some horror. Serious horror. Oh yes..... :evil:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Great.. I'm not alone anymore :D
You're never alone. There's always some creepy beastie lurking in the shadows behind you. In this case, me. >:-D
BeanDip wrote:Did you mean Boogy Man or Buggy Man? Could be a translation thing.
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:I have no idea... the one who lives under kids beds on in the closet.. the scary one :S
Yea, that's Boogeyman or Bogeyman (spelled a few ways though). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogeyman
BeanDip wrote:No aliens? WTF? Aliens are scary as balls. We could (and should) safely nix the spaceships but man... lots of opportunities for horror with aliens.
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Well... Its mostly that aliens, as in "from outer space" also tends to bring with them the super tec.. off cause, if your aliens are long decedents of stranded aliens, and have no technology or anything sure.. toss them in there :)
Hot diggity daffodil! I'm excited about my aliens.

I'm still a little unclear on the claiming posts. Do GMs claim posts or do players? Both? Could you explain it again and give a more detailed example of play? I hate to ask you but I want to know how to play.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:23 pm

BeanDip wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Great.. I'm not alone anymore :D
You're never alone. There's always some creepy beastie lurking in the shadows behind you. In this case, me. >:-D
:'(
BeanDip wrote: I'm still a little unclear on the claiming posts. Do GMs claim posts or do players? Both? Could you explain it again and give a more detailed example of play? I hate to ask you but I want to know how to play.
Hmm.. how to explain best...
GM's claim posts...

Lets say we have 6 players(GM's)
Each player post an entry telling what they do.
Then reading the others players posts, they claim one of them. the one they claim, they then make a response to. so that that player advance.

say.
1 - I post the start post, telling the time, date and a bit about what happens in the city.
2nd December 20:00 year 2010
The city is quiet. last evening, a killing spree had hit in, 2 dead kids were found at the harbor. A dead firefighter was found burned in his own bed and a group of alcoholics were poisoned at their AA meeting, no trace of the councilor.
2- Player 1 through 6 posts each an entry saying what they do
P1 - I walk to my favorite bar.
P2 - I stay at home, reading in my necronomicon.
P3 - I go down to the harbor to investigate the place the kids were found.
P4 - I remember the firefighters name from an old newspaper, I dig that out and finds his address, so I'm off on my MC to look at it
P5 - Feeling the lay-lines being disturbed, I transform back into human form. I must contact the pack leader about this!
P6 - "I'll pass this round, I'll enter later"
3- As soon as there is another post than you own, you can chose to claim it, or multiple. just remember everyone should have a chance to GM. so don't claim all every time.
P1 - I'd like to not claim right now, if thats ok.
P2 - I'd like to respond to P1's post. - CLAIM P1
P3 - I'd CLAIM P5
P4 - I'll respond to P3 - CLAIM P3
P5 - I'll CLAIM P2
P6 - thats okay P1, I did not enter anything, so no problem. I'll CLAIM 4
4 - GM's post their responses
P2 - "P1: your walk to the bar is quiet and event free, but when you enter the bar, you have no problem telling that something is really wrong!"
P3 - "P5: as you pick you your phone and call your leader, you can feel how the lay-lines warp and twist, like someone was forcing them out of their natural shape. Red wolf, the leaders son pick up the phone *Hay, whats up city dog... the old man is out.. can I help you* the young wolfs voice sounds in the phone"
P4 - "P3: You get to the harbor, but police line and a few guards are still in place... a quick look around shows you that the only way in unnoticed is by swimming..."
P5 - "P2: The book is a long read, but fascinating. you are not sure if all this with the elder gods are true... but you feel like you must try one of the spells"
P6 - "P4: You get down to the firefighters house in little under half an hour.. you'r bike have behaved weird the whole way... as you get to the door, you notes many flowers have been laid in memory of the now dead hero"
And then players post again... GM, player, GM... and at some point, I post a time update, with what is moving in the city...

Now.. you don't have to await all players before claiming... just 1 player so you have something to respond to. And if you feel like there is going to long time between you posting your own players actions and someone claiming it, feel free to claim it yourself.. making a little progress, maybe inviting others to response...

As to rules.. the only rule is, Don't just kill of the others characters. If you want to kill them because you think it would be a cool story, PM the player first...

And as to characters.. one player can have as many characters as they want, in one or as many stories as they want.. moving in and out of the same and many stories if they want...

Is that understandable?...
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 pm

yup. got it, boss man. will get to work on character, hopefully post it s

EDIT: LAYF, I have a lot of my mind today, a lot of thoughts that I need to sort. Character might come tomorrow if I can't get myself together today.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm

That's okay Bean.. there is no hurry :)
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Character is being written now LAYF. Will certainly be up tonight but probably won't be great. Apologies for the wait.

Is no one else interested in such an awesome game? Come on, people; live on the scary side >:D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:59 pm

BeanDip wrote:Is no one else interested in such an awesome game? Come on, people; live on the scary side >:D
THIS.. so much :D

BeanDip wrote:Character is being written now LAYF. Will certainly be up tonight but probably won't be great. Apologies for the wait.
No problem.. I'll look forward to reading it :D
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Hmm... maybe I should write up a character/npc char two.... seems like it will be lonely if not :/
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm really hoping other people would join... we can't be the only horror fans out there...

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:27 am

This is similar to the thing I tried to get going, where the players keep up the momentum and I don't interfere too much. I like it, but I don't know how many people want a game where there isn't a single GM driving things forward.

If it was possible, I'd like to GM but not necessarily play. Horror isn't my thing, but I'd like being able to pop in and influence stuff :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Yep.. I also hope more will join.... :)

Nikohl, what game was that? I guess its from my time where I was afraid of anything to Texty... because, I'd have loved such a gem had i known it was there and belived in my own spelling enough...
About just GM'ing, Sure thing :) That would be great, knowing your writing I can only look forward to it Nikohl :D
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:47 pm

The backstory is super bare bones but I like the idea and at this point I need to commit before I scrap him and start over.

Name: Roosevelt ÔÇ£RosieÔÇØ Roche

Appearance: Looks more like a skeleton than a man. He's covered in elaborate black tattoos that cover even his face, head, neck and hands. He barely seems to sleep and on his best days could be described as unpleasant to look at. He has a gaunt face, deep-set eyes and large aquiline nose. He's short, standing at just 152cm.

Backstory:

When Roosevelt was born, the doctor's called it a miracle. His mother was barren and by all accounts should not have been able to bear children. But Rosie's mother was not an ordinary woman.

She was a Witch and used arcane magic to steal Rosie from his mother's womb and transfer him into her own. For Rosie's real mother her pregnancy ended in a miscarriage but for the Witch her pregnancy was just beginning.

So she gave birth to her stolen child and for years she raised Rosie to be like her, taught him spells and rituals and incantations, showed him the supernatural. She carefully monitored his studies however, to avoid him learning too much.

And she failed. Rosie began to learn on his own and when he was 23 years old, used a divination spell and discovered that he had been stolen. He suddenly despised his own powers, witchcraft in general and most importantly, his Witchmother.

But if you are a Witch then you know how to kill a Witch. And Rosie did kill. He destroyed his Witchmother and has spent the last seven years hunting down Witches and other dangerous threats while looking for his real parents

Important things:
1. The tattoos prevent certain things like supernatural diseases and possessions.
2. Has at some basic knowledge of many supernatural beasts but not all
3. Has advanced knowledge on Witches and Witchcraft, including hunting and killing them
4. Knows some magic, has his own grimoire but never uses it, hates it

Points Rating: 12 ÔÇô Basically human, stronger than he looks though and knows some spells though he refuses to use them. His knowledge puts his above average though.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:49 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Yep.. I also hope more will join.... :)

Nikohl, what game was that?
It was the Matrix roleplaying game, I used to run one years ago on IRC and then on a dedicated forum and I hoped to get it going again, but it's probably a bit big for only a few players.

I'll definitely participate here, I really like Bean's character idea too.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:49 am

Ah really Cool character Bean :) That will fit really well into the world.

Nikohl, Glad that you are aboard, that means IÔÇÖll be able to run the game as I intended.

IÔÇÖm going to start the game up if you 2 feel ready for it? I know 2 is not much, but maybe people will see it and then join :)

Since Nikohl will only be GMÔÇÖing, that means the Bean will have the first post after the intro.
Bean, If you want to GM two, IÔÇÖll make a character two, or you could await more players? but thatÔÇÖs up to you.

Now, the intro will be a bit longer than the normal time updates will be. Mostly to set the mood.

The intro is here and will also be in the OP:
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 pm

James Jefferson Junior, 21.

You can say a lot of positive things about Triple J as his football teammates does; He is big, strong, fast, a ladies friend, rich kid and smart. In fact, JJJ is every mother in laws dream, a good friend, a sports icon and have a promising future.
all in all, just great.

That is what James really wish to be true, itÔÇÖs his last year at college that is about to start when the summer ends and James desperately needs to NOT be James when he returns to classes.
21 and newer been with a girl, newer been to a real party even, unless you count the lan party his little brother holds as parties... sure there is chips and soda, from time to time even a beer and everyone is having a great time... but thatÔÇÖs basically where the fun ends, they are just seven persons sitting in front of each of their own screens, trying to shoot each other the most times possible in a five minute match, James is not even sure if there are any girls there, there is this one guy who have boobs, but thatÔÇÖs it.
So James have taken it upon himself to do something with his life, in fact, he wants to be a hero. And so, he have signed up with the neighborhood watch and gotten himself a membership at the local gym, and he have promised himself to go there. He will do it... AFTER this can of cola.

Important:
James, while small and weak, does not lack courage to stand up to people, maybe thatÔÇÖs why he have been beaten up so much when is high school.
James have encyclopedic knowledge, most of it gained from watching the science channel and surfing the internet for facts about everything he hears.
James only one real fear, Dogs! He was attacked by a dog at the age of 4, and panics whenever one gets within 5 meters of him, and freezes just if he can see one.

On the Human scale, James is a 9 in every category that is not involving facts, on that base he is up around the 12. His interest in random knowledge is simply amazing.

Looks like: Human, weak, Pale.
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:44 pm

So. This looks interesting. Could I just claim and not have my own character?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:45 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:So. This looks interesting. Could I just claim and not have my own character?
Hmm.. well... While I'd be okay with it, It is currently not possible, as we only have one player and one GM... so there wont be enough "players" to GM... :S
-Best regards LAYF

AccursedBiscuit
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by AccursedBiscuit » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Seems like an interesting game, count me in. Will have a character up later and a post soon I hope
I'm no ordinary biscuit. Just look at my horns.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Great :) Will look forward to reading your entry :D
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Yay! Other players! This is gonna be good... been researching all kinds of nasty monsters and designing a few. Most won't be seen but it's a fun hobby, ya know?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:56 pm

It is.. it truly is :D
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

oh, double post. sorry...

I forgot to tell

The Game is open, the First Time update is posted.
I'll give you guys at least 48 hours before I make another time update, and maybe more.
I've also posted actions for James, a NPC people may also GM, as a little addition with him, I'm okay that multiple people GM him in a row, so that people have someone to let frustration happen to..
His character description can be found a few posts up from here :)
-Best regards LAYF