An Adventure Begun Badly... (Registration open)

Questions
Mutters to Themself

An Adventure Begun Badly... (Registration open)

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:26 am

This game is still open for joiners. We have two spaces left!

EDIT: The game has an introductory thread.

I am thinking about starting a game that will involve control of a few PC's as they attempt to escape a haunted, trap filled tomb. Anyone want to play? :-) Want to know more about the world? Check here

I have characters premade. Additional characters are encouraged. Post them here so I can give feedback.

Rigel Brimley (Human)- Former soldier of the imperial army turned archeologist for profit. Retired Soldier, rifleman (3); Hunter and outdoorsman (2); "Archeologist" (1). Taken by Nerre

Hummingbird (Windling, fairy)- Hummingbird is a 1 foot tall female fairy. She's also the only person along for this that thought it was a terrible idea...but inventing things doesn't pay for itself, ya know? Mad Inventor (3), Fairy (2), Archer (1). Taken by Nikohl

His-Smile-Worries-Me (Goblin)- Smiles is a well known mischief maker and thief among his tribe. It's why he moved to Sleepyoak, and "Guiding" these guys just seemed like a great way to take off with the loot. Goblin miscreant (3), fast talking con man (3)

Absculian (Human)- A former member of the sorcery Corps in the Imperial army. Wizard (3), Soldier (3). Taken by I'mBob

Please submit more characters if you would like to have a different character. Game will be capped at 5 characters, but we don't have to use the ones I made.

Basics of making charactes: Chracters have six points to spend for their abilities. These abilities come in the form of cliches anywhere from "Knight" to "Wisecracking thief with a pet monkey." The only rule about them is that they have to be actual cliches of some sort, fit the setting, and not be overly broad. I won't be accepting "Diddy Kong" (Not a cliche), "Child Mecha Pilot" (Doesn't fit), or "Really Awesome Guy who can Fix Anything and is also a great Fighter" (Too broad...break it into other cliches.) One of my characters I made has a rifle, but rifles are muzzle loading, so plan on them being really powerful and a pain in the ass to use. Course, it's easier for him because he's cool that way. :-P
Last edited by Questions on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: The Story of Sleepyoak?

Post by LAYF » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:35 am

First, Hay and welcome to the Game subforum :)

2nd: This looks intresting Questions... but, I have some Q's:

1: Will this be a text or graphics game?
2: if graphics, will it be grid based?
3: what are the rules (How does the abilities work, do you roll a d6 and aim bellow ability score or?)
4: Any other information?

Any ways... looks good so far :)

Best regards -LAYF-
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:37 am

*squints* I had a Windling Mad Inventor Risus character a while ago. And she hung out with an NPC called Rigel.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:04 am

Hi, Nikohl. :-) You did, and I was hoping you were still around. Want your character back? She was one of my favorites. If you'd prefer I not use her I will withdraw her and make a replacement. And this is even the same setting it was in...and I was the guy running it...before it became way too little getting done for too much effort.

LooksAtYouFunny, Here are the answers to your questions...

This will be a text based game, but I'm learning to use Gimp and may include a map for the game that's revealed as the characters explore. The rules are basically Risus, rolling d6s (1 per rank in a power), which I will do on my end of the computer screen. As a player it's your job to make choose the cliche you want to use (higher rank is better) and justify in your post why it's valid. Anyone can do anything with any ability, but a "King of the Jungle," for example, would have an easier time (lower target number) swinging across the river on a vine than the "Wheelchair bound mad scientist." As I said, I will do all the rolling and number crunching on my end and tell you how you did, and I will give bonuses for doing things that work well for your character. If your doing something open ended, like inventing, you can have a specific goal or leave it up to me to decide what you get. That's up to you. I'll do the heavy lifting for the game. :-) It'll keep it moving much faster.

It is going to be possible to die, and I will warn you when you're getting to that point. I won't surprise anyone with "...and you're dead." There will always be opportunities to survive somehow, until there just isn't any left.

And one last thing: Game will update once per day at least, unless otherwise noted.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 am

Hey Questions, I remember you! welcome back!

I might join this game, I should pick. I was a battle mage, I remember! But everyone thought it was a warrior... :P
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:36 am

If I can still play as Hummingbird (was she called Hummingbird? It was something like that) I'd like to re-join! But I don't mind if you want to use her as an NPC, that's fine.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:42 am

Feel free to play as hummingbird. :-) I'll change the name of the character I put up and we'll go from there. I think hummingbird had a few more cliches, but I can't remember what they were, and spreading her out so thin might not be great for this game.

Thanks, Bob! Grab one of them, any of them. There are no NPCs listed here, even my old NPC Rigel is up for grabs!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:49 am

I only remember Windling, Inventor, Archer - it was a long time ago.

Bob - I remember your character Absculian, too. And Narie had a goblin dude, but Narie does not visit any more.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:51 am

Oh, God...Absculian...that name...I remember that name. And promises of dark magic and such. He was former military, too, wasn't he? Sorcery Corps or such?

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 am

Yes he was a soldier in his past. I'm surprised you remember his name because even I didn't...

So can I remake him? If yes:

Absculian, human Battle-Mage. Wizard (3), Soldier (3)
► Show Spoiler

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 am

That will work. Do you want him to have a weapon he uses as a soldier, or is it just the training your after?

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:08 am

Oh, and you will need to have an item to channel your magic...amulet, staff, charm...something that makes it easier to do your craft.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 am

How about a sword as both my weapon and magic channeling? Is that possible? Or possibly a gem on the sword or something like that?
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't think I can play... but I think I was in that previous game everyone is talking about. I'm trying to remember what my character was, just for my brain's amusement, and maybe someone would play it again with the whole gang from back then.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 am

That type of sword will be fine, Bob.

and i don't remember who your character was, ThroughtheWell. It's been a long time...and there was a goblin pothead, a hobgoblin thief, and a few others that I don't remember at the moment.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:25 am

I think TtW created a character but couldn't play. I remember talking to you in pm about Girl Genius re: clank inventions though, TTW.

I don't remember who made the Hobgoblin, but I remember drawing it. I drew all four of the characters.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 am

Huh, I think I thought I made a spy. All very hush hush, but he masqueraded as a bard. I think I even posted a poem or 2. Or was that a different game?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:54 am

Maybe you did, then. I definitely remember you being in the signups thread, and talking to you about clanks, but I don't actually remember much about the actual gameplay.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:26 pm

I remember that guy! It's too bad the old forums died, or I'd mine them for all the old characters.

Now, any new people who think this is an old boys club, well...not exactly. JOIN!

As it is, I'm willing to start this game up soon and will be making a thread soon. I'll post a link to it here, because it will not be called "Sleepyoak." It'll probably be named "Escape from the haunted Tomb." or something.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:30 pm

I'd love to join... but... to be honest... I find it important to keep my own games updated first... so... sorry :(
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:51 pm

I found my char sheet, dated 6-26-12. I'll note I'd just read The Name Of The Wind, and it influenced this char. Feel free for someone else to play him. Uh, if he is played, and you are a different player, you might want to skip the spoiler.
► Show Spoiler

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Muzzle loading rifles can fire 3 rounds a minute with a well trained soldier. Next to no one else needs to reload that fast, and so they don't practice for it.

From what I remember of the game, I liked it and was disapointed when it died.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 am

I would like to play Rigel Brimley (Human)
:zzz:

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:37 am

Nerre wrote:I would like to play Rigel Brimley (Human)
Done. Also, I threw in a link to my Obsidian Portal profile about the setting in the original post. Check it out! And a link to the game is up there now, too.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 am

We begin in two days. That is all.