An Adventure Begun Badly... (Registration open)

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Re: The Story of Sleepyoak?

Post by Questions » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:58 pm

It has begun. :-)

ThroughTheWell

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Registration open)

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 am

I see you've cut the points available for character creation down considerably (the old chars are still on Obsidian). Are there still bonus points for hook and tail, IIRC? Does double pump still cost double?

As a GM, what was your reason for weakening the chars?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:05 pm

The idea was to give more room for growth, focus the characters more, and encourage people to blend cliches. For example, if you want to be a charismatic thief, then just be a charismatic thief (3), rather than charismatic (2), thief (3). Cliches that are blended but still make sense as cliches, offer more flavor and a better sense of the character. Also, if you don't want your thief to be TOO charismatic, throw it in differently.

Consider:
  • Chrasmatic (2), thief (3)- kinda boring, dry
  • Chrasmatic thief (3)- Almost the same, but more interesting. This is a thief who relies on his chrarisma, maybe a Bond type.
  • Sneak thief (3), Lady's man (2)- Better thief than lady's man, but is a bit more specialized. Probably couldn't talk himself out of a tight spot unless it was with a woman, then he might just talk himself into her bed. Maybe.
  • Cutpurse (3), Fast talking con man (2)- You get the idea.
You can embellish these all you want. You could be a Poet with a Love for the Ladies (2). Or you could be a Hard drinking, hard hearted Pirate. Yarr! (3). Or you could put both together for some laughs. It also forces the characters to make due with less and makes balancing out combat easier for me because with less dice coming into play, rolls are more reliable. You can roll a 24 with 4d6, but you can also roll a 4. That's fine once the group gets together and starts fighting as a team, but it's kinda lousy at the point they're at now when they're all separated.

The biggest reason, though, is that it forces you to have a focus in character creation, and you don't have a tool for each job. That means I can give you the tools you need and push you a direction and make you rely on your teammates.

Lastly, no. There are no additional dice for hooks (flaws) and tales (backgrounds) this game, but I will be giving chances for dice to go up often. So, no worries.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Well I am thinking of joining, since my life now seems to be giving me more time to actually play a game...

Suggested Character:
Lord Barre
Race: (Claims Human, belived to have some elf)
Assassin (3), Mage (2), Diplomat (1)

Lord Barre, also known as Alexander Smythe-Barre was born to a poor cadet branch of the old, tired but still aristocratic Smythe-Barre family of the Empire. Two generations ago, the third son had been sent off with a Lieutenant's commission to the frontier of the Empire. He returned a Lt Colonel with a son of some years and the story he had married a local girl and she had died. The rumor was she had very pointy ears and left him, but nothing was known offically) However, the son of the Colonel proceeded to become a privateer and fathered Alexander with another privateer (female).
By the time Alexander was twelve, his cousin the 12th Lord realized two problems. One, that all of this other male relatives had proven to die before fathering any sons, and no matter how attractive his wife was (He was on his sixth) he was "shooting blanks" himself. So he proceeded to buck up and raise his heir presumptive, get him in decent, if not top notch schools, and get him a slot as a respectable clerk posting in some far flug diplomatic post of the Empire.

Where the young man, with the social graces of his class, and the rapaciousness of his parents, proceeded to become the keen member of the Imperial Special Service. Alexander specialized in making problematic foriengers, troublesome expats, and radical republicanists vanish or die from accidental food poisoning.
Why his Lordship is here may be for his own money making venture...or because the Special Service wants him here...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr